Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 172

Thread: Harvard Crimson 2017-2018

  1. #21
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    13

    Re: Harvard Crimson 2017-2018

    Question for all here:

    How do you guys consume Harvard Hockey? Curious about the following sources:

    --WHRB

    --The Crimson

    --Harvard Athletics accounts

    --ILDN

    Because I can be fairly certain that this thread has some traction within the above outlets and the Athletic Department, it could be fun to discuss what we like about the coverage we have and what we want to see improved. I'll start:

    --The Crimson. LIKE: the live tweeting (though Harvard Hockey's twitter account is really good), love the analysis within the game stories and hope it continues with the new writer. Seems like they get to almost every game as well, which can't be easy. NEEDS IMPROVEMENT: the cliche features. I'd figure the Crimson has pretty good access and could probably give us a deeper look at times (some exceptions in last few years -- but generally the longform writing has been pretty vanilla).

    --WHRB: LIKE: the idea of a student radio station. NEEDS IMPROVEMENT: go to more games, prioritize closer to basketball. Realize you have at least some audience.

    --HARVARD ATHLETICS: LIKE the video and the live tweeting. NEEDS IMPROVEMENT: the podcast with Bernie Corbett was okay last year, but he's a BU guy. Would love to see us embrace our own identity in new media. I think Spaulding or even Sudikoff from the ILDN are more associated with Harvard Hockey and would be better hosts of such a program. I know he's the football radio voice, Corbett can't be watching a lot of Harvard Hockey given his other commitments.

    --ILDN: I think the service has improved each year. Harvard's investment is by all accounts large and I think the quality reflects that. NEEDS IMPROVEMENT: give me a consistent voice. I love Bill Spaulding and Scott Sudikoff would do as well. I don't like how they rotate 3-5 announcing teams.

  2. #22

    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    5,403

    Re: Harvard Crimson 2017-2018

    New Forward Recruit for Harvard out of the AJHL for next fall (2000):

    http://www.westernwheel.com/article/...going-20170215

  3. #23
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Waltham, MA
    Posts
    3,589

    Re: Harvard Crimson 2017-2018

    Quote Originally Posted by TheyreVeryWellCoached View Post
    It will hurt but the Crim can probably afford to lose Donato and maybe Fox for a few games. Don't get me wrong -- when and if this causes us a few spots in the pairwise I'll be upset, but I think the positives of seeing our guys take center stage in the Olympics could be fair compensation.

    Madsen, on the other hand, could really be crushing. I have little confidence in the goalie bench: between injuries, Lackey has had chances and hasn't worked out at all; Gornet needs to have a big development year to be ready; and Lee is hockey's equivalent of a camp arm.

    On top of this all, if Madsen goes it will likely be as a backup. Would not enjoy seeing him wear a baseball cap in Korea while we lose 7-4.
    We can probably withstand not having Fox for a few games but not Donato. Ryan will be our most dangerous offensive player this year and without him, we'll really be hurting for offense. No disrespect to the remaining players but you can't lose Malone, Moy, Esposito and Kerfoot to graduation and then Donato to the Olympics and not feel it.

  4. #24
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Waltham, MA
    Posts
    3,589

    Re: Harvard Crimson 2017-2018

    Quote Originally Posted by TheyreVeryWellCoached View Post
    Question for all here:

    How do you guys consume Harvard Hockey? Curious about the following sources:

    --WHRB

    --The Crimson

    --Harvard Athletics accounts

    --ILDN

    Because I can be fairly certain that this thread has some traction within the above outlets and the Athletic Department, it could be fun to discuss what we like about the coverage we have and what we want to see improved. I'll start:

    --The Crimson. LIKE: the live tweeting (though Harvard Hockey's twitter account is really good), love the analysis within the game stories and hope it continues with the new writer. Seems like they get to almost every game as well, which can't be easy. NEEDS IMPROVEMENT: the cliche features. I'd figure the Crimson has pretty good access and could probably give us a deeper look at times (some exceptions in last few years -- but generally the longform writing has been pretty vanilla).

    --WHRB: LIKE: the idea of a student radio station. NEEDS IMPROVEMENT: go to more games, prioritize closer to basketball. Realize you have at least some audience.

    --HARVARD ATHLETICS: LIKE the video and the live tweeting. NEEDS IMPROVEMENT: the podcast with Bernie Corbett was okay last year, but he's a BU guy. Would love to see us embrace our own identity in new media. I think Spaulding or even Sudikoff from the ILDN are more associated with Harvard Hockey and would be better hosts of such a program. I know he's the football radio voice, Corbett can't be watching a lot of Harvard Hockey given his other commitments.

    --ILDN: I think the service has improved each year. Harvard's investment is by all accounts large and I think the quality reflects that. NEEDS IMPROVEMENT: give me a consistent voice. I love Bill Spaulding and Scott Sudikoff would do as well. I don't like how they rotate 3-5 announcing teams.
    Not sure about your original thought of this thread being consumed inside the Harvard media outlets. What exactly about our posting would be of interest to them other than recruit news? I do know that one of the women's coaches and several players follow the Harvard women's thread. Just not sure about the media outlets.

    That said, I follow the Harvard Twitter account and listen to 'HRB (hey, I'm a ghost) when I'm not at the games. About the lack of hockey coverage on 'HRB - I think that has more to do with the basketball program's rise in prominence. The hockey team's resurgence will most certainly get us back on the air consistently.

    The big news this year is NESN discontinuing regular season coverage of HE in favor of separate deals with the local colleges. Harvard has several men's and women's games on NESN and NESN+ which is great for us.

  5. #25
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Waltham, MA
    Posts
    3,589

    Re: Harvard Crimson 2017-2018

    Quote Originally Posted by bothman View Post
    New Forward Recruit for Harvard out of the AJHL for next fall (2000):

    http://www.westernwheel.com/article/...going-20170215
    Didn't his brother Colton go to Quinnipiac?

  6. #26
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    2,105

    Re: Harvard Crimson 2017-2018

    Quote Originally Posted by Skate79 View Post
    Didn't his brother Colton go to Quinnipiac?
    Your thinking of Brandon Wong and their is no relation as Brandon from British Columbia and Austin is from Alberta.
    QUINNIPIAC UNIVERSITY BOBCATS


    ECAC Regular Season Champions
    2013, 2015, 2016

    ECAC Tournament Champions
    2016

    NCAA Tournament
    2002, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016

    NCAA Frozen Four
    2013, 2016

    http://www.bobcatshockeyblog.com/
    https://twitter.com/QHockeyBlog

  7. #27
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Waltham, MA
    Posts
    3,589

    Re: Harvard Crimson 2017-2018

    Quote Originally Posted by QUAlum2004 View Post
    Your thinking of Brandon Wong and their is no relation as Brandon from British Columbia and Austin is from Alberta.
    Yup, you're right. Thanks.

  8. #28
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    13

    Re: Harvard Crimson 2017-2018

    Quote Originally Posted by Skate79 View Post
    Not sure about your original thought of this thread being consumed inside the Harvard media outlets. What exactly about our posting would be of interest to them other than recruit news? I do know that one of the women's coaches and several players follow the Harvard women's thread. Just not sure about the media outlets.

    That said, I follow the Harvard Twitter account and listen to 'HRB (hey, I'm a ghost) when I'm not at the games. About the lack of hockey coverage on 'HRB - I think that has more to do with the basketball program's rise in prominence. The hockey team's resurgence will most certainly get us back on the air consistently.

    The big news this year is NESN discontinuing regular season coverage of HE in favor of separate deals with the local colleges. Harvard has several men's and women's games on NESN and NESN+ which is great for us.
    Fair point. To add on to your point about women's coaches and players, I know the same to be true of the men's team. Definitely less traction in the media circles, but when I was there (I'm also an HRB Ghost) I know some others were reading because we'd discuss it from time to time.

    I was really pleasantly surprised to see Harvard get so much traction on NESN, particularly on traditional NESN (NESN Plus was, ironically, only available outside of Boston when I was there. Not sure about now). By my count, 4 men's games on NESN and 2 more on NESN plus (not counting at least one Beanpot game on NESN). Women are also well represented with 3 games on NESN and 2 on plus / TBA.

    Agree that basketball has crowded out hockey on WHRB. But as I understand it, the biggest issue is financial. Ad sales are almost non-existent and recent announcers were funding their own road trips. I hope things change but I think WHRB needs help to continue its commitment to Harvard sports and hockey in particular, because they'll hold on to football first and basketball second.
    I know we’re going to win tonight.

    I believe we’re going to win tonight.

  9. #29
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Waltham, MA
    Posts
    3,589

    Re: Harvard Crimson 2017-2018

    Quote Originally Posted by TheyreVeryWellCoached View Post
    Agree that basketball has crowded out hockey on WHRB. But as I understand it, the biggest issue is financial. Ad sales are almost non-existent and recent announcers were funding their own road trips. I hope things change but I think WHRB needs help to continue its commitment to Harvard sports and hockey in particular, because they'll hold on to football first and basketball second.
    Hmm, that's not good. I don't want to stray from talking hockey on this thread but as a 'ghost', this is very troubling to me. I'll drop an email to David Eliot to see if we shouldn't take up a GoFundMe campaign so that the kids don't have to fund their road trips. That just shouldn't happen.

  10. #30
    Harvard Hockey Broadcaster '09-'12
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,128

    Re: Harvard Crimson 2017-2018

    Quote Originally Posted by Skate79 View Post
    Hmm, that's not good. I don't want to stray from talking hockey on this thread but as a 'ghost', this is very troubling to me. I'll drop an email to David Eliot to see if we shouldn't take up a GoFundMe campaign so that the kids don't have to fund their road trips. That just shouldn't happen.
    This sadly wouldn't surprise me - we were lucky enough to have enough east coast people when I was there, including myself, that we saved on hotel costs for several trips, which gave us money to play with, and when we had a big trip we could often get extra advertising for that game only to make up the funds (thinking of the first time we covered NCAA basketball). I wonder if the sales department should be encouraged to reach out to stores like Hockey Monkey and others for sports ads...

    The other thing is that for 'HRB, sports interests are dictated somewhat by the interest of the student broadcasters and by what program has more prominence. Right now that's basketball on both counts. Which is the same for the Crimson - when I was covering the men's and women's teams for WHRB, the Crimson couldn't get anyone to write about hockey, so it became the job for the new writers to work their way up. As a result their coverage was absolutely awful. When I left they got in a few writers who knew the game already, and they and WHRB coexisted well, and then WHRB lost a lot of their hockey broadcasters to graduation and now its the Crimson with a lot better hockey coverage (which kills me).
    Former Harvard Hockey broadcaster on 95.3 FM and WHRB.org.
    Go Crimson!

  11. #31

    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    5,403

    Re: Harvard Crimson 2017-2018


  12. #32
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Waltham, MA
    Posts
    3,589

    Re: Harvard Crimson 2017-2018

    Quote Originally Posted by bothman View Post
    Some misinformation in the article. Lackey didn't dress last year because of his knee woes. In fact Madsen played a majority of the games the year before because Lackey got hurt early on in the season. And can someone explain this line:

    "In the next three periods, Madsen stopped 41 pucks, a furious assault from the Friars, who took half again as many shots on goal as the Crimson". Huh? We took 82 shots on goal? Really?

  13. #33

    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    5,403

    Re: Harvard Crimson 2017-2018

    Anyone going to the game against the USNDT on Saturday? You should be able to get a glimpse of Oliver Wahlstrom, slated for Harvard in the Fall and likely a NHL 1st rounder in June.

  14. #34

    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    5,403

    Re: Harvard Crimson 2017-2018

    Should be a nice handshake after the game tomorrow between Ted Donato and Bode Wilde.

  15. #35
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    2,118

    Re: Harvard Crimson 2017-2018

    Football looked horrible tonight. Lost to Princeton 52-17.
    DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
    DANGER - MEN AT WORK

  16. #36
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Waltham, MA
    Posts
    3,589

    Re: Harvard Crimson 2017-2018

    Quote Originally Posted by bothman View Post
    Should be a nice handshake after the game tomorrow between Ted Donato and Bode Wilde.
    Ouch!

  17. #37
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Waltham, MA
    Posts
    3,589

    Re: Harvard Crimson 2017-2018

    Quote Originally Posted by Dutchman View Post
    Football looked horrible tonight. Lost to Princeton 52-17.
    Yeah, that was ugleeeee! Worst loss I think in the Tim Murphy era, at least at home.

  18. #38
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    244

    Re: Harvard Crimson 2017-2018

    Quote Originally Posted by Skate79 View Post
    And can someone explain this line:

    "In the next three periods, Madsen stopped 41 pucks, a furious assault from the Friars, who took half again as many shots on goal as the Crimson". Huh? We took 82 shots on goal? Really?
    It's awkward for sure, but half again generally means 1.5X. As in that much plus half again. So if Providence shot 41, Harvard would have shot roughly 27. That way the Friars shot half again as many, or 27 + half 27, or 41. Does that fit the actual stats any better?

  19. #39
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    244

    Re: Harvard Crimson 2017-2018

    Quote Originally Posted by bothman View Post
    Anyone going to the game against the USNDT on Saturday? You should be able to get a glimpse of Oliver Wahlstrom, slated for Harvard in the Fall and likely a NHL 1st rounder in June.
    Do we need tickets for this, or just show up? Haven't sorted our season ticket set yet.

  20. #40
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    2

    Re: Harvard Crimson 2017-2018

    Watching USAU-18 game on ILDN. That was quite an impressive shot and goal from Reilly Walsh in the first period. It would be most welcome to have a new play maker in the mix.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •