Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Harvard Crimson 2017-2018

Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
    I like that phrase "The culture will carry the torch". I'm hoping that's the case as we go forward. Some guy on 98.5 the Sports Hub said this week he expects Ryan Donato to be in a Bruins uniform once Harvard's season ends. Not sure where he is getting his information or if he is just trying to throw stuff against the wall.
    This would really shock me. Don Sweeney is a Harvard guy and I would assume also has a close relationship with his former teammate Ted, no? I have to imagine Ted wants Ryan to play all four years and finish is degree and I'd be surprised if Don stood in the way of that.

I know Ryan probably doesn't "need" the degree, but in this case, I just think that legacy means something.
    Last edited by Middle Street; 12-25-2017, 12:13 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Middle Street View Post
      This would really shock me. Don Sweeney is a Harvard guy and I would assume also has a close relationship with his former teammate Ted, no? I have to imagine Ted wants Ryan to play all four years and finish is degree and I'd be surprised if Don stood in the way of that.

I know Ryan probably doesn't "need" the degree, but in this case, I just think that legacy means something.
      He can get his degree in the summer after the NHL seasons. He is way too good to be playing in the college right now and could step into the Bruins lineup now.
      QUINNIPIAC UNIVERSITY BOBCATS

ECAC Regular Season Champions
      2013, 2015, 2016, 2019

ECAC Tournament Champions

NCAA Tournament
      2002, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2019

NCAA Frozen Four
      2013, 2016

https://www.bobcatshockeyblog.com/
      https://twitter.com/QHockeyBlog
      https://www.instagram.com/bobcatshockeyblog/
      https://www.facebook.com/QHockeyBlog/

Comment

• Originally posted by QUAlum2004 View Post
        He can get his degree in the summer after the NHL seasons. He is way too good to be playing in the college right now and could step into the Bruins lineup now.
        Or take classes online after games and practice....
        a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
          Or take classes online after games and practice....
          ha, ha... or while attending Church...

don't think he's going anywhere without finishing that degree (& getting stronger..).. and would be wise to do it that way.
          GO NU HOCKEY
          Always bullish on the future.
          We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Originally posted by northeastern View Post
            ha, ha... or while attending Church...

don't think he's going anywhere without finishing that degree (& getting stronger..).. and would be wise to do it that way.
            Seems to me Killorn, Vesey, Kerfoot, Cruscuolo, Moy, Malone, all of whom are playing in or near to the NHL provide ample evidence finishing the Harvard degree makes good sense. It is inconceivable that Ted Donato's son would leave without graduating. The tradition of the student athlete, with emphasis on the former, is far too strong at Harvard. These are values coach Donato and his family believe in deeply.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by HUCrimson#1 View Post
              Seems to me Killorn, Vesey, Kerfoot, Cruscuolo, Moy, Malone, all of whom are playing in or near to the NHL provide ample evidence finishing the Harvard degree makes good sense. It is inconceivable that Ted Donato's son would leave without graduating. The tradition of the student athlete, with emphasis on the former, is far too strong at Harvard. These are values coach Donato and his family believe in deeply.

Unless a player can go straight from college to playing full time in the NHL, it is not worth leaving early. Not worth it to give up a degree for playing in the AHL with the hopes of moving up. Of course it's not too hard to leave after junior year and then come back during the summer and take courses to eventually finish up. I don't think Havard let's anyone take online courses towards their degree

Comment

Ah
                Harvard doesn’t have independent study courses?!!
                a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by Game0n View Post
                  Unless a player can go straight from college to playing full time in the NHL, it is not worth leaving early. Not worth it to give up a degree for playing in the AHL with the hopes of moving up. Of course it's not too hard to leave after junior year and then come back during the summer and take courses to eventually finish up. I don't think Havard let's anyone take online courses towards their degree
                  Leaving early seems a risky proposition even if it is straight to the NHL. Look no further than Louis LeBlanc who left Harvard for the Canadiens, but injuries slowed his progress eventually derailing his NHL career.

Comment

Originally posted by HUCrimson#1 View Post
                    Leaving early seems a risky proposition even if it is straight to the NHL. Look no further than Louis LeBlanc who left Harvard for the Canadiens, but injuries slowed his progress eventually derailing his NHL career.

I would have to agree in that Donato should finish out his stellar 4 year career and get his degree. And remember my Big Green team is his travel partner and that means one more year of playing against him. This has not been brought up yet...something has to be said for graduating with the same class you came in with, with/out a sport. It just does NOT have that same feel when you graduate without them. My two cents.

MERRY CHRISTMAS and HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! and a HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO ALL!!!

Comment

Nice article on incoming recruit Jack Drury. Reads a lot like Tom Cavanagh:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburb...228-story.html

Comment

Seeing how Harvard played the 3rd, not sure what happened over the break, but Harvard certainly ate its fair share of figgy pudding.....

Comment

Adam Fox is a really good hockey player. Might be 2nd best player on the Workd Junior team after Casey Middlestadt.

Comment

Originally posted by bothman View Post
                            Seeing how Harvard played the 3rd, not sure what happened over the break, but Harvard certainly ate its fair share of figgy pudding.....
                            Coaches have eaten too much figgy pudding, power play with Walsh low on the right side and Donato on the right point makes no sense. Reverse that
                            with Walsh on the left point and Donato on the right boards. Donato makes things happen on the right boards and can work down low while Walsh has a quick release on the right point with the one timer. Like I said before we are still offering Olson a big chunk of ice time with no pay off on top 4 D. We have yet to give dumbrosky any meaningful ice time while we watch Walsh play a forward roll on Defense and Olson taking tickets and video. As I said before forwards lack hockey IQ so coaches need to implement a system. This group needs structure, without it the neutral zone is a waste land. A dump and chase strategy would at least reduce turnovers and keep the puck further from our net. To win coaches need to think this through without agenda or preference draft picks, just win and recruits will come.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeykrazee View Post
                              Coaches have eaten too much figgy pudding, power play with Walsh low on the right side and Donato on the right point makes no sense. Reverse that
                              with Walsh on the left point and Donato on the right boards. Donato makes things happen on the right boards and can work down low while Walsh has a quick release on the right point with the one timer. Like I said before we are still offering Olson a big chunk of ice time with no pay off on top 4 D. We have yet to give dumbrosky any meaningful ice time while we watch Walsh play a forward roll on Defense and Olson taking tickets and video. As I said before forwards lack hockey IQ so coaches need to implement a system. This group needs structure, without it the neutral zone is a waste land. A dump and chase strategy would at least reduce turnovers and keep the puck further from our net. To win coaches need to think this through without agenda or preference draft picks, just win and recruits will come.
                              I meant, Walsh on the left point not right. That is where he is most effective. To date they have been putting two right hand shots on the point on the first PP, get a left hand shot on the point. Too bad coaches can't get it together, I think players are good, they just need to be put in a better position with structure and personnel alignments.

Comment

• Originally posted by Middle Street View Post

Sweeney went after Anders Bjork after his junior season. Bjork hasn’t adjusted to the NHL as fast as expected. Hoping that Ryan takes note and comes back but it also would not surprise me if he left.

Comment

Working...
                                X