GO BU!

Comment

• Originally posted by wysi View Post
      Ryan Donato has just signed for Boston.

https://www.nhl.com/bruins/news/brui...ct/c-297070516
      well, that's that.
      GO NU HOCKEY
      Always bullish on the future.
      We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

• Re: Harvard Crimson 2017-2018

Originally posted by wysi View Post
        Ryan Donato has just signed for Boston.

https://www.nhl.com/bruins/news/brui...ct/c-297070516
        Tough loss for you guys. But as a Bruins fan, I'm excited to see how he does.
        BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

• Harvard Crimson 2017-2018

Ryan’s early departure is stunning news. It leaves an enormous hole in the lineup for sure, but in my view does significant damage to the reputation of a program dedicated to fostering the true student-athlete. After Jimmy Vesey’s eloquence as the first in his immediate family to attend college and insistence on graduating before signing a pro contract, Ryan’s early departure is a sad day indeed. The optics of coach Donato’s son, of all people, leaving removes any standing to counsel future NHL prospects from doing the same thing. Besides Vesey, Dominic Moore, Alex Kerfoot, Alex Killorn, Danny Biega, Kyle Criscuolo, and several In the AHL and other international leagues all graduated after playing out their four year eligibility. Let’s hope we are not now on a slippery slope towards joining BU, BC as a short term pre-professional launch pad. In this sense we are better off not accepting a Wahlstrom type superstar who I gather is equally qualified to join the elite NHL possibly sooner than later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by HUCrimson#1 View Post
            Ryan’s early departure is stunning news. It leaves an enormous hole in the lineup for sure, but in my view does significant damage to the reputation of a program dedicated to fostering the true student-athlete. After Jimmy Vesey’s eloquence as the first in his immediate family to attend college and insistence on graduating before signing a pro contract, Ryan’s early departure is a sad day indeed. The optics of coach Donato’s son, of all people, leaving removes any standing to counsel future NHL prospects from doing the same thing. Besides Vesey, Dominic Moore, Alex Kerfoot, Alex Killorn, Danny Biega, Kyle Criscuolo, and several In the AHL and other international leagues all graduated after playing out their four year eligibility. Let’s hope we are not now on a slippery slope towards joining BU, BC as a short term pre-professional launch pad. In this sense we are better off not accepting a Wahlstrom type superstar who I gather is equally qualified to join the elite NHL possibly sooner than later.

+1

"Do as we say, not as we do."
            GO NU HOCKEY
            Always bullish on the future.
            We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Originally posted by northeastern View Post
              +1

"Do as we say, not as we do."
              Amen!

Comment

Originally posted by HUCrimson#1 View Post

Although Donato was always known as a phenom, some of these kids develop into early departures, aka Alex Lyon from Yale. As shown by Yale and Union, and NCAA title can be won by a team with few draft picks, that is not the usual case. I agree that the Ivy tradition of the student athelete should remain strong, unfortunately no matter who the Coach is or his personal relationship with the player, the choice is ultimately up to the player. The kid almost got you there last year, but the program will survive with or without Ryan Donato. The funny thing is, if his father had not been the coach, he probably would have played somewhere east of you down the pike.
                Last edited by LTsatch; 03-18-2018, 09:33 PM.
                YALE HOCKEY
                2013 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by LTsatch View Post
                  Although Donato was always known as a phenom, some of these kids develop into early departures, aka Alex Lyon from Yale. As shown by Yale and Union, and NCAA title can be won by a team with few draft picks, that is not the usual case. I agree that the Ivy tradition of the student athelete should remain strong, unfortunately no matter who the Coach is or his personal relationship with the player, the choice is ultimately up to the player. The kid almost got you there last year, but the program will survive with or without Ryan Donato. The funny thing is, if his father had not been the coach, he probably would have played somewhere east of you down the pike.
                  Agreed it’s the kid’s decision. I know from experience dads have relatively little leverage especially over kids in their teens and early twenties. And you may well be right that but for dad Ryan would have ended up at a hockey factory down Commonwealth Ave. But given the amount of hard academic work required to get accepted at Harvard makes me think at that stage Ryan was aiming to make it to Harvard.

So it is ironic that perhaps the major influence in attracting Ryan to Harvard was unable to retain him. I just thought given Ted also graduated from Harvard and resisted going pro with the Bruins until completing his eligibility that Ryan would want to uphold the tradition. Of course, I recognize this is pure speculation on my part and I really wish Ryan and the Donato family all the best.

Comment

Originally posted by HUCrimson#1 View Post
                    Agreed it’s the kid’s decision. I know from experience dads have relatively little leverage especially over kids in their teens and early twenties. And you may well be right that but for dad Ryan would have ended up at a hockey factory down Commonwealth Ave. But given the amount of hard academic work required to get accepted at Harvard makes me think at that stage Ryan was aiming to make it to Harvard.

So it is ironic that perhaps the major influence in attracting Ryan to Harvard was unable to retain him. I just thought given Ted also graduated from Harvard and resisted going pro with the Bruins until completing his eligibility that Ryan would want to uphold the tradition. Of course, I recognize this is pure speculation on my part and I really wish Ryan and the Donato family all the best.

Hey, Pro Hockey or International Studies (don't know his degree path) , which would you choose if you knew that the degree could be completed in the future? Good luck to him, being a Ranger fan I still get to root against him, lol.
                    YALE HOCKEY
                    2013 National Champions

Comment

• Originally posted by LTsatch View Post
                      Hey, Pro Hockey or International Studies (don't know his degree path) , which would you choose if you knew that the degree could be completed in the future? Good luck to him, being a Ranger fan I still get to root against him, lol.
                      I didn’t think Ryan would leave early but my mind changed after seeing him play at the Olympics. He definitely seems ready for the next level.

Is it crazy to think he can continue his studies and possibly graduate on time assuming he plays for the Bruins next year? I know Harvard is rigorous, so that may not be realistic.

Comment

• Originally posted by HUCrimson#1 View Post

Wow you'd think Donato left after one year. He gave you three years and I'd be willing to bet Ted will stay on him about getting his degree. Most kids going to Harvard will be there 4 years but there are going to be exceptions. That doesn't make you a hockey factory.

Comment

I'm from New York too and spend my time in Boston largely incognito! I get it. At Ryan's age given the options I too would pursue the dream.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by Middle Street View Post
                            I didn’t think Ryan would leave early but my mind changed after seeing him play at the Olympics. He definitely seems ready for the next level.

Is it crazy to think he can continue his studies and possibly graduate on time assuming he plays for the Bruins next year? I know Harvard is rigorous, so that may not be realistic.
                            Story goes the only thing hard about Harvard is getting in
                            a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Well I certainly would have liked to see him back for another year but it is Ryan's decision. It is his dream. He grew up in the house of an NHL player and understands what a pro hockey career involves. Ryan is a bright and sensible young man (as well as a very nice young man). Ted and Jeannine know what a hockey career involves and I am very sure that he made this decision in conjunction with them. I noticed his statement today emphasized his commitment to complete his degree at Harvard, I am sure he will do so. I wish him all the best in his new career.

On the bright side for Harvard hockey, Jack seems to be shaping up well. I have no idea where Nolan will be attending college next year but he is also a hockey player and a golfer.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                                Wow you'd think Donato left after one year. He gave you three years and I'd be willing to bet Ted will stay on him about getting his degree. Most kids going to Harvard will be there 4 years but there are going to be exceptions. That doesn't make you a hockey factory.
                                I can see how my comments have appeared much more adamant than I actually meant to convey. It's just that I view Harvard College as justifiably known for its students. Quite a few of whom happen also to be athletes. When students leave early it is a loss to all. Not only athletes, but think of Mark Zuckerberg and Bill Gates or, so many decades ago, Edwin Land all of whom left early. Regretfully it will be much harder now for Ted to make a persuasive case to those contemplating an early exit. Fingers crossed other drafted players such as Adam Fox, John Marino don't decide to go pro. Hopefully Louis Leblanc can share his experience leaving after one year unable then to sustain an NHL career.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X