Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Harvard Crimson 2017-2018

Originally posted by LTsatch View Post
    They certainly ran out of gas down the stretch. Of course I would not be fine with that loss. I just think it is hard to "choke" to a team that is ranked higher and has had a better season. I hope you guys keep Donato, he is a pleasure to watch. Good luck to the departing players.
    "Choke" is a little over the top, I agree. They played well in stretches after that.

Comment

Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
      Please check my post from yesterday. The Harvard game is on tape delay at 12am tonight on FiOS. I can’t speak to the other channels other than NESN+ showing the Hockey East semis.
      I did not watch it; what happened in the third? So sorry about the result as we have to rely on Princeton to represent the Ivy! Go Ivy!

Comment

Donato to Boston ??
        It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Not to much to say after that meltdown last night. Except that I honestly believe Clarkson was the better team from start to finish. We took too many stupid penalties that gave them momentum and they took it from there. Madsen did the best he could as he seemed to be under siege all night. I never felt comfortable even after we scored to make it 4-1. Frankly, we just didn't deserve the lead. And for whatever reason we couldn't use the big ice surface to our advantage and play a strong transition game. It was non-existent. Clarkson's puck management was better and they had an obvious offensive zone time advantage.

Harvard was inconsistent all season but I never thought they would submit a game like last night in a one and done situation. As has been pointed out, we've done this before under Mazz; twice I believe.

So the Donato Watch officially starts. Hoping he stays but will understand if he departs. If he doesn't stay and Wahlstrom isn't coming, then we're in for a long year next season. Our lack of finish and skill up front was an Achilles heel all season. I don't see it changing next year even with a great freshman class. It takes time to adjust to the next level.

Best thing about last night is that Cornell and BC also lost. Go Tigers.

Comment

Why do you care that BC lost? Lost to BU. Didn't realize Harvard and BC were such fierce rivals.

Comment

• Originally posted by Skate79 View Post

So the Donato Watch officially starts. Hoping he stays but will understand if he departs. If he doesn't stay and Wahlstrom isn't coming, then we're in for a long year next season. Our lack of finish and skill up front was an Achilles heel all season. I don't see it changing next year even with a great freshman class. It takes time to adjust to the next level.
              I'm looking forward to next season and think Harvard will do well despite the variables you mentioned. We have a very good core returning, and historically returning players improve statistics significantly. And the recruiting class is deep, which should translate into strong teams for the next couple of years

Comment

It looked like Harvard only played 3 lines all night, and double shifted R. Donato line quite often. When that happens you get a result like that. The team ran out of gas in the 3rd, and with the exception of 1 shift in OT, it looked like a Clarkson PP for the majority of OT. Teams that make it deep into the playoffs at every level (Pro, College, Juniors) rely on the ability to run a full bench. Fatigue breeds mental mistakes, costly turnovers and foolish penalties. Harvard seemed to have plenty of those last night. Rempal BLEW past 2 Crimson skaters on his way to score on a pass that went underneath a defenseman who lookedlike he tried to bend down to stop it with his hands. Fatigue and mental mistakes?

Comment

Originally posted by Game0n View Post
                  I'm looking forward to next season and think Harvard will do well despite the variables you mentioned. We have a very good core returning, and historically returning players improve statistics significantly. And the recruiting class is deep, which should translate into strong teams for the next couple of years
                  Historically yes except that Zerter Gossage and Krushko had dropoffs this year and they were counted on to provide offense. True some of the drop off can be explained by the loss of the top four forwards but if we go by your thesis, they should have stepped up. They didn't.

It's not that I'm not looking forward to next season. i'm just cautiously optimistic and not entirely convinced beyond Badini and Bowlby that the others will raise their games. Pelton-Byce in particular has to step up. And yes, next year's class should help once they get their feet wet.

Comment

Originally posted by slapperjack View Post
                    It looked like Harvard only played 3 lines all night, and double shifted R. Donato line quite often. When that happens you get a result like that. The team ran out of gas in the 3rd, and with the exception of 1 shift in OT, it looked like a Clarkson PP for the majority of OT. Teams that make it deep into the playoffs at every level (Pro, College, Juniors) rely on the ability to run a full bench. Fatigue breeds mental mistakes, costly turnovers and foolish penalties. Harvard seemed to have plenty of those last night. Rempal BLEW past 2 Crimson skaters on his way to score on a pass that went underneath a defenseman who lookedlike he tried to bend down to stop it with his hands. Fatigue and mental mistakes?
                    The fourth line did play but not the minutes they usually take in part I think because they were getting overmatched. As the game went on, I think the coaches realized that their top three were the best option for winning the game. And yes, they looked tired towards the end.

Comment

So back to normal teddy d status?
                      a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

• Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                        So back to normal teddy d status?
                        Does this mean Paul Pearl is leaving?

Comment

Some random thoughts to close the book on the 2017-2018 season.

1. Harvard may want to think about hiring a coach to focus on D zone coverage. They had problems this year in the transition game and too often, tried to stick swipe the puck instead of taking the man. They lost battles along the boards and were caught watching the other team instead of asserting themselves. This may necessitate a change in style. I hope Teddy thinks about it seriously because he has too much talent back there to have them perform they way they did this year.

2. The Crimson need to improve their cycle game and create space to allow for better looks at the opposing goalie. Too often this season, we were shooting blanks or getting shots blocked because we were too indecisive as to whether to shoot or pass. More often it was the latter. Part of the improvement should be as a result of better finishers coming in.

3. The conference as a whole was pretty wide open and Princeton and Dartmouth certainly surprised me with their play down the stretch. I expect the Bobcats and Yale to be improved next year and Clarkson should be favored along with Cornell to get a top four slot. Harvard should be right there as well.

4. Wondering if Paul Pearl will leave to pursue head coaching positions. Don't know of any opening up and not sure if he'd leave MA. Bears watching.

5. Ryan, if you or any of your teammates read this forum, please stay and graduate on time. If for no other reason than you give a lot of us immense pleasure watching you perform. And yeah, I get that we can watch you spin your magic with the Bruins but college hockey is a unique experience and we've been blessed to watch you, Jimmy Vesey, Alex Kerfoot, Tyler May, Sean Malone and Luke Esposito bring us out of our seats with some amazing rushes or plays down low. Best of luck with whatever you decide to do.

Cheers everyone and have a great summer if it ever arrives here in NE. Been a lot of fun posting and sharing thoughts this season.

Comment

How about this headline:

“Fox and Donato return to co-captain Harvard team with eyes on Hobey Baker, ECAC, and National hardware”

More on this past season later

Comment

Historically yes except that Zerter Gossage and Krushko had dropoffs this year and they were counted on to provide offense. True some of the drop off can be explained by the loss of the top four forwards but if we go by your thesis, they should have stepped up. They didn't.

It's not that I'm not looking forward to next season. i'm just cautiously optimistic and not entirely convinced beyond Badini and Bowlby that the others will raise their games. Pelton-Byce in particular has to step up. And yes, next year's class should help once they get their feet wet.

I think next year holds a lot of promise. As we've all been saying, this year Harvard had to re-group after the loss of so many seniors. We had a pretty good, if inconsistent, year of readjustment. And let's not forget, as Coach Donato said, it's not that easy making it to Lake Placid. Are we spoiled?

I'm not sure what you mean by Krusko and Zerter-Gossage dropping off this year; did you look at the stats? Both had more points in fewer games than last year. They're developing quite well - as is Pelton-Byce- and will probably be even better next year. Onward and upward!

Comment

4. Wondering if Paul Pearl will leave to pursue head coaching positions. Don't know of any opening up and not sure if he'd leave MA. Bears watching.

Not sure if you saw this article, but it speculates that Pearl could be a top candidate for the Merrimack job...

https://www.collegehockeynews.com/ne...Candidates.php

Comment

Working...
                                X