Harvard Crimson 2017-2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
    Another night, another blown two goal lead. Defense and goaltending were supposed to be the strength of this team but not this weekend. The SLU shortie that got them back in the game was gift wrapped by Pelton Byce. You've got to be more aware of the situation and not put yourself in an awkward place trying to keep the puck in the zone. Inexcusable.

We should count our blessings and hope to play much better next weekend. Friday night should be a barn burner.
    Baughmann and Foley were both bad. We need dumbrovsky and Olsen back.

Byce’s Play was horrendous. Looked like a mite on that play. Be great if he could score - just no offensive mojo this year.

We need some other guys to step up not named Donato. ZG posing better, but missing a lot of coverage in defensive zone (good for 2 goals given up vs Clarkson). Wonder if Bowlby back this weekend?

Lackey played ok, but he is not very composed on the net. Moves around too much which makes me nervous.

Be interesting who gets start on Friday. Harvard has to be confident given how they played at Lynah. 4pts this weekend probably gets harvard into the top 15 of the pairwise.

Comment

• Re: Harvard Crimson 2017-2018

Originally posted by bothman View Post

Byce’s Play was horrendous. Looked like a mite on that play. Be great if he could score - just no offensive mojo this year.

We need some other guys to step up not named Donato. ZG posing better, but missing a lot of coverage in defensive zone (good for 2 goals given up vs Clarkson). Wonder if Bowlby back this weekend?

Lackey played ok, but he is not very composed on the net. Moves around too much which makes me nervous.

Be interesting who gets start on Friday. Harvard has to be confident given how they played at Lynah. 4pts this weekend probably gets harvard into the top 15 of the pairwise.

Agree, this is a one man Donato show. Zerter-Gossage and Bowlby have been able to ride Donato's coattails a little bit by picking up goals/assists just by being on a line with him. Badini has been solid on his own as a Freshman. The other forwards have just not produced. Looking at College Hockey News stats the remaining 12 forwards have combined for a grand total of only 16 goals in a combined 157 games played between them. 10 of the forwards play regularly each weekend. The 9 D men have contributed only 6 goals in a combined 114 games played between them. 7 of the D play regularly.

The SLU game would have been a good chance to shuffle things up in a big way. Maybe watching the games for a weekend would light a fire under a couple of these guys.
      Last edited by slapperjack; 01-22-2018, 10:05 PM.

Comment

Clarkson has some really great wins - Providence, Penn State....but also have some head-scratchers against Minny and Mass Lowell (Harvard went 0-3 against those teams as well this year). Clarkson did wallop Cornell, but Cornell is vastly overrated (only 1 win against a Top 20 team) and Harvard got completely screwed up at Cornell with a host of phantom calls.
        Clarkson is the best opponent I've seen this year.

As for the rest,

I'll be perfectly happy if you return from Friday's game sagely intoning "Harvard got completely screwed with a host of phantom calls" and the final score is the same.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post

As for the rest,

I'll be perfectly happy if you return from Friday's game sagely intoning "Harvard got completely screwed with a host of phantom calls" and the final score is the same.
          And I will be happy with a win, that is aided by a non-hooking call on a Cornell breakaway in the 3rd period, and a phantom penalty on a Cornell defenseman that gives Harvard a PP at the end of the 3rd period that produces the game winning goal, not to mention a bench penalty on Schafer for voicing his displeasure with these outcomes. Sign me up for that right now!

Comment

I heard a rumor this weekend that Henry was taking the semester off because of the mono. I hope that it was just a rumor. Could not confirm and he is still listed on the roster so I assume they think he will be back. Hope it's this weekend.

I'll say it again. Once Ryan leaves, the pressure falls on the other forwards to pick up the slack and we'll find out in short order if they are up to the task. I'm not optimistic at this point but holding out hope that Teddy can light a fire under them.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post

As for the rest,

Great photo of a high achieving Cornell grad. How proud you must be of your alums.

Comment

NHL Midterm Rankings out and Harvard has a bunch of recruits on it:

#7 - Oliver Wahlstrom
                #60 - Jack Drury
                #214 - Austin Wong (Who was just named MVP of the CJHL Prospects Game)

#18 -Mitchell Gibson - Incoming goalie from the NAHL.

Don't think I am missing anyone. There are also guys coming in who were already drafted (Jack Rathbone)

Comment

• Originally posted by bothman View Post
                  NHL Midterm Rankings out and Harvard has a bunch of recruits on it:

#7 - Oliver Wahlstrom
                  #60 - Jack Drury
                  #214 - Austin Wong (Who was just named MVP of the CJHL Prospects Game)

#18 -Mitchell Gibson - Incoming goalie from the NAHL.

Don't think I am missing anyone. There are also guys coming in who were already drafted (Jack Rathbone)
                  When was the last time Harvard had a guy as high as Wahl Strom? I wonder how long he'll stay?

Comment

but Cornell is vastly overrated (only 1 win against a Top 20 team) and Harvard got completely screwed up at Cornell with a host of phantom calls.
                    Waiting for hot takes. . . .

Comment

Originally posted by UHall6 View Post
                      Well, first off I wasn't that impressed with #2 Cornell. They were good but not that good. The Crimson were in this game until fairly late. A couple of favorable bounces and it could have been 2-1 or 2-2 late in the 3rd. I thought the Cornell tender was exceptional, though Lackey played a pretty good game too. Some careless turnovers out front for Harvard provided some unneeded thrills. The Crimson forecheck was impressive from the first whistle, and I'd like to see them use it more. Solin and Badini were standouts I think. Ryan did not get his usual 2 goals, and that was the difference. It will be interesting to see who is scoring goals for the Crimson in his absence next month. Overall, since I did not expect much vs. Cornell, I was pleasantly surprised. Harvard could have won this game. I can't see this Cornell team going too deep vs. the big western squads in April. Oh, and the (Harvard) band showed up!
                      Last edited by Crimson on the Glass; 01-26-2018, 09:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Crimson on the Glass View Post
                        Well, first off I wasn't that impressed with #2 Cornell. They were good but not that good. The Crimson were in this game until fairly late. A couple of favorable bounces and it could have been 2-1 or 2-2 late in the 3rd. I thought the Cornell tender was exceptional, though Lackey played a pretty good game too. Some careless turnovers out front for Harvard provided some unneeded thrills. The Crimson forecheck was impressive from the first whistle, and I'd like to see them use it more. Solin and Badini were standouts I think. Ryan did not get his usual 2 goals, and that was the difference. It will be interesting to see who is scoring goals for the Crimson in his absence next month. Overall, since I did not expect much vs. Cornell, I was pleasantly surprised. Harvard could have won this game. I can't see this Cornell team going too deep vs. the big western squads in April. Oh, and the (Harvard) band showed up!
                        Honestly, I don't even know why they continue to show up. Why, they barely even won!

Comment

• Originally posted by UHall6 View Post
                          Cornell played like Cornell - clog neutral zone, block shots, and wait for chances. They were opportunistic. Galadja was strong , but Harvard put way too many in the bread basket. Cornell better than Clarkson, but not by much. I still think they are 1W max in NCAA unless Galadja keeps up the hot streak. Harvard is not a great team this year and likely won’t and don’t deserve to dance. Last year’s Harvard team would beat this year’s by 5 goals. Cornell likely the best team in a very down conference. The East is down this year in general.

Here are the takes on Harvard:
                          1). Jacob Olson has no identity. 6’3’’ 225lb defenseman goes for a poke check with a forward off balance? Angello should have been on his behind from a shoulder to his mid section, but instead, Olsen poke checks and ends up costing Harvard a goal on a nice finish.

2). Reilly Walsh should sit tomorrow. Completely lost out there. No awareness of when to shoot puck vs sending it deep. Right now, he’s a turnover machine and has no confidence. He needs to watch the game from the stands.

3). Lackey played well. It’s his net right now.

4). Harvard PP is horrendous. One dimensional and easy to defend. I would prefer Donato down low (where Vesey played) as opposed to up top or up high. Zero movement on the PP, guys stationary, and just very predictable and easy to defend.

5). Thought Sherman had his best game in 2 months and maybe the season.

6). Byce, Horton, Krusko all shooting under 10% for the season. Just too many role players being asked and needed to do things they are not capable of. Not enough finish on this team.

Bring on Gate!
                          Last edited by bothman; 01-26-2018, 09:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Crimson on the Glass View Post

Harvard math: 20 goals, 20 games "his usual 2 goals."
                            . . . still crazy after all these years. . .

Comment

Bothman said "Cornell is vastly overrated (only 1 win against a Top 20 team)"

@UHall6: Wait! He's right! We STILL only have one win over a top 20 team. Those preseason Harvard rankings don't count.
                              A neg.rep on this thread is a badge of honor.....troyboy March 7 2011

Comment

Short sidebar. Ryan's goal total is truly impressive, playing for a team that is struggling - and not just from a goals per game metric which we usually have to resort to for Ivy League players. As such a difference maker on this team I would think he is a legit candidate for Hobey consideration, but he is going to miss a lot of February. How does a righteous absence like the Olympics hurt his chances? If he contributes in South Korea, will that actually get some Hobey consideration? I actually want to see him finish college with his class, and put off his Hobey win until next year, but he's definitely carrying this team offensively.
                                Last edited by Crimson on the Glass; 01-26-2018, 09:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X