Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Harvard Crimson 2017-2018

Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
    If that. I'm surprised he's coming to Cambridge. After Louis LeBlanc, admissions really soured on kids coming in for one or two years and then jumping ship. The way he talks about himself and his skills reminds me of Brad Marchand. Not that it won't be fun to see him play but for only one or two years, what's the point? We're not BU or BC.
    And where is Louis Leblanc now? Leaving Harvard was a HUGE mistake that probably will haunt him for the rest of his life.

Don't disagree with the above, but Harvard will never be a mercenary program like Kentucky hoops or BU hockey. If there is one "one and done" out of a team of 30, I think Harvard and Donato can manage that. The culture will carry the torch.

Comment

• Harvard Crimson 2017-2018

Originally posted by bothman View Post
      And where is Louis Leblanc now? Leaving Harvard was a HUGE mistake that probably will haunt him for the rest of his life.

Don't disagree with the above, but Harvard will never be a mercenary program like Kentucky hoops or BU hockey. If there is one "one and done" out of a team of 30, I think Harvard and Donato can manage that. The culture will carry the torch.
      Seems Louis is back at Harvard to finish his degree. Unlike some schools Harvard tries to select students who want their degree. It is not always done in four years, but Harvard is good about allowing students to finish what they ultimately came for, a college degree.
      Last edited by HUCrimson#1; 12-08-2017, 03:23 PM.

Comment

This from a piece in the Boston Globe this week (the lead of course was BC hockey - what else is new?)

“We thought that we deserved to give somebody a chance to play,” Donato told reporters after the game. “We wanted more competition.

“We’re at a spot now where we’re still trying to form our identity as a team, and guys that go in and play the best are going to be rewarded with playing time.”

These comments came after last weekend's sweep of Quinnipiac and Princeton and referenced the fact that Lackey broke Madsen's streak of consecutive games played. None of what he said surprised me and if it makes some of the players uncomfortable, so be it. Time for some of these players to show they belong and start contributing especially since we're going to lose some guys over Christmas break and then the Olympics. From front to back, we need to continue what we started last weekend and carry into 2018.

Comment

I like that phrase "The culture will carry the torch". I'm hoping that's the case as we go forward. Some guy on 98.5 the Sports Hub said this week he expects Ryan Donato to be in a Bruins uniform once Harvard's season ends. Not sure where he is getting his information or if he is just trying to throw stuff against the wall.
          Last edited by Skate79; 12-09-2017, 02:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by HUCrimson#1 View Post
            Seems Louis is back at Harvard to finish his degree. Unlike some schools Harvard tries to select students who want their degree. It is not always done in four years, but Harvard is good about allowing students to finish what they ultimately came for, a college degree.
            I'm glad he's back finishing up his degree but he could have had a solid four years here improving his hockey ability while getting his degree on time and still had a shot at the NHL. I get that once on campus, Harvard isn't for everyone and people have different reasons for leaving. It's just that he came out before setting foot on campus to declare that he most likely was going to leave after one season. Admissions flat out hates that kind of declaration. A lot of work goes into selecting a class and some other deserving kid got bumped because of Louis.

Comment

• Harvard Crimson 2017-2018

Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
              I'm glad he's back finishing up his degree but he could have had a solid four years here improving his hockey ability while getting his degree on time and still had a shot at the NHL. I get that once on campus, Harvard isn't for everyone and people have different reasons for leaving. It's just that he came out before setting foot on campus to declare that he most likely was going to leave after one season. Admissions flat out hates that kind of declaration. A lot of work goes into selecting a class and some other deserving kid got bumped because of Louis.
              Your point is well taken. I agree 100%. This is why it seems to me less likely Ryan will depart early or the recent top ten recruit, Oliver Wahlstrom will be a one year wonder. Fingers crossed at least.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Last edited by HUCrimson#1; 12-09-2017, 03:10 PM.

Comment

Walsh cut from World Juniors. Scored the 1st goal last night against Belarus, but was not meant to be. I think he should be on the team next year.

Badini is still in the mix (2 more Fs and 1 more D will be cut).

Fox is already a shoe in and did not even play in last night's game.

Comment

http://www.hockeyjournal.com/nehocke...ticleId1270548

Walsh was cut because his skill set was too similar to Fox and Hughes. I think he'll make it in 2019.
                  https://www.hockeyjournal.com/author/jeffcox/
                  Follow on twitter @JeffCoxSports

Comment

So in keeping with the holidays, I thought I'd offer this nugget in the hopes that Ryan Donato will finish out his career at Harvard. The Bruins are picking up the pace and are winning games with Jake Debrusk and Danton Heinen playing bigger roles. If we assume that the Bruins project Ryan to be a left winger, it doesn't look like there is room for him on the varsity and that he would have to spend a year in Providence.

Let's say they want to try him at center. That still leaves him as the #3 pivot at best because that is where Riley Nash is slotted at the moment. If the Bruins can't move Krecji (and his contract is an albatross), I don't see Ryan having an opportunity to crack the top six. And that's where they projected Anders Bjork convincing him to leave Notre Dame after his junior season. It hasn't worked out for him so far and that may be something for Ryan to consider moving forward.

Happy Holidays everyone.

Comment

Badini does not make World Junior team in his final year of eligibility.

Tough break, but in the flip side, harvard will have Badini and Walsh against UML and Vermont.

Comment

Badini does not make World Junior team in his final year of eligibility.

Tough break, but in the flip side, harvard will have Badini and Walsh against UML and Vermont.
                        Exactly. With Fox on the team, getting Walsh and Badini for next weekend will help a lot despite the fact they miss out on a great tournament. Assuming that Marino-Sherman, Walsh-Olsen and Dumbrovsky-Baughman will be the D pairings?

Comment

• Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
                          Exactly. With Fox on the team, getting Walsh and Badini for next weekend will help a lot despite the fact they miss out on a great tournament. Assuming that Marino-Sherman, Walsh-Olsen and Dumbrovsky-Baughman will be the D pairings?
                          The fix was in. The coach is from MN, so he took 10 kids from MN. Only one player from this part of the country made team USA. Their loss is our gain. Time for us to make a run for the tournament...

Comment

Originally posted by Game0n View Post
                            The fix was in. The coach is from MN, so he took 10 kids from MN. Only one player from this part of the country made team USA. Their loss is our gain. Time for us to make a run for the tournament...
                            Dumped Kemp from Yale as well, the ECAC will now benefit from the presence of these talented players, Yale will also need Kemp against UMD and UNH next weekend.
                            YALE HOCKEY
                            2013 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by Game0n View Post
                              Agreed. Schedule sets up for Harvard to go on a run coming out of the break. Lowell (neutral), @UVM, RPI, Union, @RPI, Princeton, Quinny.... - Harvard could go 5-1-1 (Lowell being the toughest game, followed by Union and UVM (always tough to play at the Gut). And the earlier games will be minus Adam Fox.

As for D pairings, I think Walsh/Sherman, Olsen/Marino, Dumbrovsky/Baughmann. Forward lines in tact given Badini's return.

Comment

• Originally posted by bothman View Post
                                Agreed. Schedule sets up for Harvard to go on a run coming out of the break. Lowell (neutral), @UVM, RPI, Union, @RPI, Princeton, Quinny.... - Harvard could go 5-1-1 (Lowell being the toughest game, followed by Union and UVM (always tough to play at the Gut). And the earlier games will be minus Adam Fox.

As for D pairings, I think Walsh/Sherman, Olsen/Marino, Dumbrovsky/Baughmann. Forward lines in tact given Badini's return.
                                Only issue we gave is Donato going to the Olympics. I think the team will be named at the Winter Classic

Comment

Working...
                                X