Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 171

Thread: Harvard Crimson 2017-2018

  1. #101
    Let's go Tech!
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    New Windsor, NY
    Posts
    3,510

    Re: Harvard Crimson 2017-2018

    Quote Originally Posted by bothman View Post
    Not going to go crazy about the refs, but after Donato gets hooked on a breakaway (which could have been a penalty shot, let alone 2 mins), the refs have zero business getting involved with Donato. I don't care if he was saying something about their mothers. You don't let a referee dictate an outcome in the last 2 mins in a rivalry game, especially after botching a call. Earmuffs as opposed to making yourself bigger than the game! I expect both of these referees to be given a stern lecture this week and a tape to be sent to the league of the scenario.
    As a high level sports official, this is about the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Your coach was warned several times by all accounts and he finally ran out of slack. Graber is one of the best young officials in the ECAC. I'd rather see him do a Clarkson game any day than McDonald or Feola or one of the "good" ECAC officials. I don't know a lot about Lynch but he's also a very experienced young official from what I can read.
    Clarkson Golden Knights Men
    10 Time ECAC Regular Season Champs
    5 Time ECAC Tournament Champs
    20 NCAA Tournament Appearances

    Undefeated - 1956

    Clarkson Golden Knights Women
    ECAC Regular Season Champs - 2014, 2015, 2017
    ECAC Tournament Champs - 2017
    6 NCAA Tournament Appearances

    Frozen Four - 2014, 2016, 2017
    National Champions - 2014, 2017

  2. #102

    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    5,403
    Quote Originally Posted by FireKnight View Post
    As a high level sports official, this is about the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Your coach was warned several times by all accounts and he finally ran out of slack. Graber is one of the best young officials in the ECAC. I'd rather see him do a Clarkson game any day than McDonald or Feola or one of the "good" ECAC officials. I don't know a lot about Lynch but he's also a very experienced young official from what I can read.
    Scroll down. Seems like others do not share your views on those 2 officials

  3. #103
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    245

    Re: Harvard Crimson 2017-2018

    Graber has had multiple issues with games involving Clarkson, he's our new Murphy, actually if I recall correctly Graber has had a few of the Clarkson Cornell games at Lynah and has made a mess of them more times than not.

  4. #104
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Parts Unknown
    Posts
    42

    Re: Harvard Crimson 2017-2018

    Quote Originally Posted by FireKnight View Post
    As a high level sports official, this is about the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Your coach was warned several times by all accounts and he finally ran out of slack. Graber is one of the best young officials in the ECAC. I'd rather see him do a Clarkson game any day than McDonald or Feola or one of the "good" ECAC officials. I don't know a lot about Lynch but he's also a very experienced young official from what I can read.
    Watch this hook on Donato at 1:33 ... everybody in the arena could see it except for the four officials on the ice, who's job it is to call that


    https://youtu.be/N769u5q5qZ4?t=1m29s

    Not only was this call missed, but the charge on Harvard's goalie near the end of the 3rd period was not called. The tripping call on Sherman weak. It really should have been Harvard on the power play, not the other way. This was a comedy of errors by the officiating staff who was making bad calls all game, but especially at the end, where their lack of competence was what decided the game.

  5. #105
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Waltham, MA
    Posts
    3,587

    Re: Harvard Crimson 2017-2018

    Quote Originally Posted by bothman View Post
    Harvard should play the game under protest. Just an antriciously refereed. Giving the coach a bench minor with 2 mins left?

    An embarrassing night for the ECAC
    I didn't see the game but from the box score, I have to say I'm not surprised. Harvard has taken it on the chin from officials where Cornell is involved and I can honestly say that if this game was played at Bright-Landry, we would not have been given three power plays at the end of the game. Would not have happened. What goes around comes around so it will be interesting to see later in the season if payback comes in the form of a multiple calls against the Red at B-L. Not holding my breath.

    Doesn't get any easier next week. I'm afraid that we are going to have a losing record come January and one that may drop us to eighth or ninth place. We just don't have the skill up front and I'm not sure it will magically reappear later in the season. Hope I'm wrong. And Madsen needs to start stealing games like he did in March last season if we have any chance at a top four berth for the ECACs.

  6. #106

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Secret Lair
    Posts
    54,293

    Re: Harvard Crimson 2017-2018

    Quote Originally Posted by bothman View Post
    Giving the coach a bench minor with 2 mins left?
    Based on what I have heard from people who were within earshot of Donato, he was out of control all night and warned in no uncertain terms to get it together. I assume he figured he could do anything in the closing minutes of a tie game and as it turned out, he was incorrect.

    The officiating standard did wander all over the place. There were penalties on each team for breathing on a guy, and there was a particular stretch when there were WWE moves going on and whistles stayed unblown.

    In any case, please send along our thanks to Donato for losing his sh-t at exactly the right moment. It is appreciated. I have a feeling these teams will meet again in Lake Placid, and perhaps after that as well.

    Fun fact I wasn't aware of until tonight: McCrea, who scored the game winner, was a decommit from Harvard.
    Last edited by Kepler; 11-12-2017 at 07:43 PM.
    2016 USCHO POSER OF THE YEAR

    "The strength and power of despotism consists wholly in the fear of resistance." -- Thomas Paine

    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014

  7. #107
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Motor City
    Posts
    4

    Re: Harvard Crimson 2017-2018

    Quote Originally Posted by Game0n View Post
    Watch this hook on Donato at 1:33 ... everybody in the arena could see it except for the four officials on the ice, who's job it is to call that


    https://youtu.be/N769u5q5qZ4?t=1m29s

    Not only was this call missed, but the charge on Harvard's goalie near the end of the 3rd period was not called. The tripping call on Sherman weak. It really should have been Harvard on the power play, not the other way. This was a comedy of errors by the officiating staff who was making bad calls all game, but especially at the end, where their lack of competence was what decided the game.
    Thanks for posting, but after watching the video I think the no call was correct. The D-man clearly lifted Donato's stick from below and did not hook the hands or body. The ref can be seen along the far boards with clear view of it.

  8. #108
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    1

    Re: Harvard Crimson 2017-2018

    Quote Originally Posted by Skate79 View Post
    I didn't see the game but from the box score, I have to say I'm not surprised. Harvard has taken it on the chin from officials where Cornell is involved and I can honestly say that if this game was played at Bright-Landry, we would not have been given three power plays at the end of the game. Would not have happened. What goes around comes around so it will be interesting to see later in the season if payback comes in the form of a multiple calls against the Red at B-L. Not holding my breath.
    B-L? Don't you mean Lynah East?

  9. #109

    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    5,403

    Re: Harvard Crimson 2017-2018

    Donato about as gracious as he could be - "I apologized to the guys for the lack of competency out there...."

    http://www.thecrimson.com/article/20...ll-gamer-2017/

  10. #110
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    13

    Re: Harvard Crimson 2017-2018

    Quote Originally Posted by bothman View Post
    With the emotions subsided, some more thoughts:

    - The 2nd goal that Harvard gave up was just a horrible defensive play by Olson. I know that he is from Minny, but I worry about him on the big sheet - He really needs to work on his skating/positioning. He had no idea where he was on the ice and the angle to take and he let the Cornell forward skate right around him and to the net (this was another Exhibit A of Madsen playing deep in the crease instead of shutting down the angle and poking the puck away from the Cornell forward as he went right to left across the crease)
    ...


    I think the trip to Minny next weekend is a great oppty, but a really tough test for this team. It will be interesting to see how they play on the big sheet.
    Going to go a bit out on a limb here. The Minnesota trip is a big one. Remember they were there two years ago for the Mariucci New Year's tournament. Winning there was huge for the team. Olson played both games in that tournament and made a big defensive play late in the third period in the OT win against the Gophers.

    However, that March on the big sheet in Lake Placid Olson was benched twice in favor of Thomas Aiken, who moves much better and has more situational awareness. Aiken was a walk-on and hasn't seen action in a while -- that one stretch in March 2016 was his moment.

    With the team under .500 I would not be surprised to see Donato send a bit of message with a guy like Aiken. He's not a long-term solution but his work ethic and 4-year commitment to the program are admired throughout the building. Could be seeing this wrong... but just saying I wouldn't be shocked.

    Really wish I could make it out there (again) because there's no better place to watch college hockey.
    I know we’re going to win tonight.

    I believe we’re going to win tonight.

  11. #111

    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    5,403

    Re: Harvard Crimson 2017-2018

    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    Based on what I have heard from people who were within earshot of Donato, he was out of control all night and warned in no uncertain terms to get it together. I assume he figured he could do anything in the closing minutes of a tie game and as it turned out, he was incorrect.
    Were those people sitting in the grassy nole?

    The game was a disgrace. Playing Cornell is always a treat for this fan, getting to see two contrasting systems go toe-to-toe, irrespective of the outcome. It's sad that the pinstripes had such an effect with missed calls (Donato hook), inconsistent calls (goalie interference), and calling a bench minor on the coach in the closing minutes of a tie game. The players, coaches, and fans deserve better - the game deserves better.

    The reality is I have no problem with the no call on Donato that late in the game for the reasons listed above. But don't then turn around and call the bench minor and a ticky tack trip on Sherman.

    Donato expects competency and consistency and I trust his judgment and his outbursts when he chooses to call things as he sees them. Donato is not viewed as a blowhard across the league (unlike others who will remain nameless) and while this is a rivalry game, Donato is generally not one to call out the refs unless deserved.

  12. #112
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Parts Unknown
    Posts
    42

    Re: Harvard Crimson 2017-2018

    Quote Originally Posted by bothman View Post
    Were those people sitting in the grassy nole?

    The game was a disgrace. Playing Cornell is always a treat for this fan, getting to see two contrasting systems go toe-to-toe, irrespective of the outcome. It's sad that the pinstripes had such an effect with missed calls (Donato hook), inconsistent calls (goalie interference), and calling a bench minor on the coach in the closing minutes of a tie game. The players, coaches, and fans deserve better - the game deserves better.

    The reality is I have no problem with the no call on Donato that late in the game for the reasons listed above. But don't then turn around and call the bench minor and a ticky tack trip on Sherman.

    Donato expects competency and consistency and I trust his judgment and his outbursts when he chooses to call things as he sees them. Donato is not viewed as a blowhard across the league (unlike others who will remain nameless) and while this is a rivalry game, Donato is generally not one to call out the refs unless deserved.
    And ironically, after having fish thrown at Harvard by classless Cornell fans who chanted, "F- you.. you Suk.. bend over..." all game, Harvard gets a penalty for arguing bad calls...

  13. #113
    Let's Go Red!
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    2,172
    Quote Originally Posted by bothman View Post
    Were those people sitting in the grassy nole?

    The game was a disgrace. Playing Cornell is always a treat for this fan, getting to see two contrasting systems go toe-to-toe, irrespective of the outcome. It's sad that the pinstripes had such an effect with missed calls (Donato hook), inconsistent calls (goalie interference), and calling a bench minor on the coach in the closing minutes of a tie game. The players, coaches, and fans deserve better - the game deserves better.

    The reality is I have no problem with the no call on Donato that late in the game for the reasons listed above. But don't then turn around and call the bench minor and a ticky tack trip on Sherman.

    Donato expects competency and consistency and I trust his judgment and his outbursts when he chooses to call things as he sees them. Donato is not viewed as a blowhard across the league (unlike others who will remain nameless) and while this is a rivalry game, Donato is generally not one to call out the refs unless deserved.
    To paraphrase: “waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh! Waaaaaaaaaah!”

  14. #114
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    7

    Re: Harvard Crimson 2017-2018

    Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedCornellian View Post
    To paraphrase: “waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh! Waaaaaaaaaah!”
    We have here Exhibit A illustrating the inability of the vocal Cornell fan to articulate rise above the monosyllabic (albeit very long syllable) response in an otherwise thoughtful and insightful correspondence. Certainly tends to reinforce preconceived bias on my part.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  15. #115
    Let's Go Red!
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    2,172
    Quote Originally Posted by HUCrimson#1 View Post
    We have here Exhibit A illustrating the inability of the vocal Cornell fan to articulate rise above the monosyllabic (albeit very long syllable) response in an otherwise thoughtful and insightful correspondence. Certainly tends to reinforce preconceived bias on my part.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Be sure to extend your pinky finger whilst you enjoy that whine. 😉

  16. #116
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    7

    Re: Harvard Crimson 2017-2018

    Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedCornellian View Post
    Be sure to extend your pinky finger whilst you enjoy that whine.
    Indeed! Moreover, borrowing a line from Tom Lehrer we "will take the whole team out to tea!" From his song "Fight Fiercely Harvard"


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  17. #117
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Fairport, NY & Holmes Beach, FL
    Posts
    5,127

    Re: Harvard Crimson 2017-2018

    Quote Originally Posted by HUCrimson#1 View Post
    We have here Exhibit A illustrating the inability of the vocal Cornell fan to articulate rise above the monosyllabic (albeit very long syllable) response in an otherwise thoughtful and insightful correspondence. Certainly tends to reinforce preconceived bias on my part.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    A Harvard man with "preconceived bias"? I'm shocked, shocked.
    . . . still crazy after all these years. . .

  18. #118
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    7

    Re: Harvard Crimson 2017-2018

    Quote Originally Posted by 40-Year Big Red Fan View Post
    A Harvard man with "preconceived bias"? I'm shocked, shocked.
    You are not really shocked! Nonetheless, despite my bias, I realize we both bleed red albeit a slight different shade. Much more in common than not!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  19. #119
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    On the pond......
    Posts
    574

    Re: Harvard Crimson 2017-2018

    Quote Originally Posted by Game0n View Post
    Watch this hook on Donato at 1:33 ... everybody in the arena could see it except for the four officials on the ice, who's job it is to call that


    https://youtu.be/N769u5q5qZ4?t=1m29s

    Not only was this call missed, but the charge on Harvard's goalie near the end of the 3rd period was not called. The tripping call on Sherman weak. It really should have been Harvard on the power play, not the other way. This was a comedy of errors by the officiating staff who was making bad calls all game, but especially at the end, where their lack of competence was what decided the game.
    I'm sorry but this was not a hook. It was an excellent defensive play by the Cornell player who tried twice to lift Donato's stick. It was stick on stick and not stick on hands. At least that's what I saw from the angle of the camera. Sorry.
    I've been lost since 1989. I got a breakaway on a river and have been skating ever since!

  20. #120
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    7

    Re: Harvard Crimson 2017-2018

    Don't know who you have been watching. Teddy still clueless and Brian only one scoring. USCHO rating is a joke. They may may end up last. DD

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •