Harvard Crimson 2017-2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Harvard Crimson 2017-2018

As I have said before, love this match up.

Against just about any ECAC team, Harvard will typically control possession and shots given its skill advantage. And while I have been frustrated by Harvard's willingness this season to settle for off-angle and low grade shots as opposed to making the extra pass, Dartmouth is a team that does not have a shutdown goalie. These shots can get through Buffalo where they have a much lesser chance against a goalie like Point.

Harvard's speed and transition have also given Dartmouth fits (both this year and over time). This has led to Dartmouth penalties and Harvard taking advantage of special teams (either on the PP or the tiring effect that a PP can have on the opposing team over the course of a game). I see Harvard spending a lot of time on the man advantage in this series and if they can execute, I am quite confident (Let's be honest, Harvard's PP has been inconsistent this year at best).

Anything can happen here. If Harvard comes out and plays like it did at the morgue in Providence, then Dartmouth will absolutely prevail. I thought Harvard outskated and outplayed Yale in New Haven, but were out-goalied and then Harvard was played by a terrible poke check decision by one of its bigger D.

Harvard likely isn't going to put up a ton of even strength goals given its lack of finishers, so it will likely come down to the back-end. I don't think the back-end has to be special, I think that Madsen has to be solid and the D can't be careless (poke check instead of taking the body, bad pinch, or careless pass, etc). Those kinds of goals are back breaking and Harvard has been plagued by too many of them all season long.

Looking forward to it!

Comment

• Originally posted by bothman View Post
      As I have said before, love this match up.

Against just about any ECAC team, Harvard will typically control possession and shots given its skill advantage. And while I have been frustrated by Harvard's willingness this season to settle for off-angle and low grade shots as opposed to making the extra pass, Dartmouth is a team that does not have a shutdown goalie. These shots can get through Buffalo where they have a much lesser chance against a goalie like Point.

Harvard's speed and transition have also given Dartmouth fits (both this year and over time). This has led to Dartmouth penalties and Harvard taking advantage of special teams (either on the PP or the tiring effect that a PP can have on the opposing team over the course of a game). I see Harvard spending a lot of time on the man advantage in this series and if they can execute, I am quite confident (Let's be honest, Harvard's PP has been inconsistent this year at best).

Anything can happen here. If Harvard comes out and plays like it did at the morgue in Providence, then Dartmouth will absolutely prevail. I thought Harvard outskated and outplayed Yale in New Haven, but were out-goalied and then Harvard was played by a terrible poke check decision by one of its bigger D.

Harvard likely isn't going to put up a ton of even strength goals given its lack of finishers, so it will likely come down to the back-end. I don't think the back-end has to be special, I think that Madsen has to be solid and the D can't be careless (poke check instead of taking the body, bad pinch, or careless pass, etc). Those kinds of goals are back breaking and Harvard has been plagued by too many of them all season long.

Looking forward to it!
      Bowlby not dressing tonight. Injury?

Comment

• Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
        Bowlby not dressing tonight. Injury?
        No idea, but not good.

Comment

Harvard players must be depressed by the pitiful attendance at the game. looks like 300-500 folks.
          YALE HOCKEY
          2013 National Champions

Comment

Pathetic performance tonight to match the pathetic crowd.

Comment

• Originally posted by slapperjack View Post
              Pathetic performance tonight to match the pathetic crowd.
              Completely gutless. Nothing more to say. Guys seem to want to get on Spring Break.

Comment

There really isn't much to add to the comments already posted. Harvard was outplayed and outclassed by a Dartmouth team that had a very simple game plan; take away the neutral zone, get your stick on their stick and block as many shots as possible. Of course it helped that the Crimson never showed up to play. Lackluster doesn't even begin to describe it. And shots on goal have to be the most meaningless statistic in hockey because there was no way we outshot them by two to one. We missed the net so many times or whiffed on shots that had potential it wasn't funny. The coaches had zero response to what Gaudet threw at them tonight and it probably has as much to do with the lack of skill up front and a laissez faire attitude towards their opponent. Dartmouth won every board battle and just wanted this game more than the Crimson from start to finish.

Will be interested to see what team shows up tomorrow night. Everyone on this team stunk the joint out tonight. And yeah, the crowd was equally pathetic. It's the playoffs for God's sake but no one seemed to care to show up and those who did were more interested in the buffet in the Boynton Lounge. Wow. Hockey has really fallen into disfavor or disinterest. Or both. Sad.

Comment

Originally posted by LTsatch View Post
                  Harvard players must be depressed by the pitiful attendance at the game. looks like 300-500 folks.
                  Closer to 1000 but there was no energy in the building at all and it helped the Green. Not that they needed it.

Comment

• Harvard Crimson 2017-2018

Originally posted by bothman View Post
                    No idea, but not good.
                    Bowlby was injured last week with a contusion near his right eye. Much improved, but still badly bruised and swollen. Not sure what happened, but I gather he missed some practice time this week. He was in the stands tonight with the other non playing boys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
                      There really isn't much to add to the comments already posted. Harvard was outplayed and outclassed by a Dartmouth team that had a very simple game plan; take away the neutral zone, get your stick on their stick and block as many shots as possible. Of course it helped that the Crimson never showed up to play. Lackluster doesn't even begin to describe it. And shots on goal have to be the most meaningless statistic in hockey because there was no way we outshot them by two to one. We missed the net so many times or whiffed on shots that had potential it wasn't funny. The coaches had zero response to what Gaudet threw at them tonight and it probably has as much to do with the lack of skill up front and a laissez faire attitude towards their opponent. Dartmouth won every board battle and just wanted this game more than the Crimson from start to finish.

Will be interested to see what team shows up tomorrow night. Everyone on this team stunk the joint out tonight. And yeah, the crowd was equally pathetic. It's the playoffs for God's sake but no one seemed to care to show up and those who did were more interested in the buffet in the Boynton Lounge. Wow. Hockey has really fallen into disfavor or disinterest. Or both. Sad.
                      That was definitely not the Harvard team I am accustom to seeing! You know and I know they are better than that. They looked uninspired and lifeless with frustration bearing down their faces. Despite all that, I am quite sure we will see a much better Harvard team tomorrow, how much better relative to BG, remains to be seen. Well both of our team's headliners were neutralized (or didn't show up however you want to look at it). Our fourth and checking line scored the first two in the first. Go figure! The series is NOT over by any means.

Comment

• I wouldn't say Harvard was outplayed. We outshot Dartmouth 35-21, but as often been the case, we couldn't bury our chances.

PP was 0 for 5... Crowd was light, but keep in mind that spring break just started, so a lot of people are out of town.

I hope we see a better outcome tomorrow

Comment

• Originally posted by Game0n View Post
                          I wouldn't say Harvard was outplayed. We outshot Dartmouth 35-21, but as often been the case, we couldn't bury our chances.

PP was 0 for 5... Crowd was light, but keep in mind that spring break just started, so a lot of people are out of town.

I hope we see a better outcome tomorrow
                          Harvard shot totals are always misleading because they consistently settle for perimeter, off-angle stuff. And outside of a Donato, they don’t have guys who can finish outside of the pay dirt areas.

Harvard was definitely outplayed!

Comment

• Originally posted by bothman View Post
                            Harvard shot totals are always misleading because they consistently settle for perimeter, off-angle stuff. And outside of a Donato, they don’t have guys who can finish outside of the pay dirt areas.

Harvard was definitely outplayed!
                            However you slice it, there's only one thing left to do - win every game or go home.

Comment

The results from last night back up what Bothman posted earlier in the season about the conference being wide open. To wit: Union entered the third period leading 3-2 and the third period is usually their best. Yet Princeton took control and won it going away. Colgate used a stingy D and goaltending to beat a Clarkson team in free fall. Only Cornell held serve (when has Cornell ever scored 9 goals in one game???).

It wouldn't surprise me one bit if all four series went the distance. It also wouldn't surprise me if Harvard lost tonight to end their season. The Crimson's inconsistency this season has been maddening but not showing up to play with any urgency last night was really frustrating. That simply should not have happened.

Comment

I witnessed one of the more bizarre incidents I've seen at a sporting event. There were a number of Dartmouth fans sitting behind the Harvard bench, one kept banging on the glass and jawing at Ted Donato. During the second period, while play was going on, Donato turned and for about a minute shouted back at the fan. He was extremely angry. If you lose control so that a fan takes away your concentration...well, I don't know what that says. The fan got tossed in the third period, after some fan started watching him and got security.

The team was lackluster like Skate said, although Dartmouth played very well and looks like the superior team. I expect they will make short work of it tonight.

A lot of the usual season ticket holders weren't there, I wonder if the basketball tournament takes away fans, although I don'tsee much overlap between theregulars at basketball and hockey.

Comment

Working...
                                X