Page 23 of 29 FirstFirst ... 1314151617181920212223242526272829 LastLast
Results 441 to 460 of 574

Thread: Harvard Crimson 2017-2018

  1. #441

    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    5,488
    Quote Originally Posted by slapperjack View Post
    Pathetic performance tonight to match the pathetic crowd.
    Completely gutless. Nothing more to say. Guys seem to want to get on Spring Break.

  2. #442
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    3,695

    Re: Harvard Crimson 2017-2018

    There really isn't much to add to the comments already posted. Harvard was outplayed and outclassed by a Dartmouth team that had a very simple game plan; take away the neutral zone, get your stick on their stick and block as many shots as possible. Of course it helped that the Crimson never showed up to play. Lackluster doesn't even begin to describe it. And shots on goal have to be the most meaningless statistic in hockey because there was no way we outshot them by two to one. We missed the net so many times or whiffed on shots that had potential it wasn't funny. The coaches had zero response to what Gaudet threw at them tonight and it probably has as much to do with the lack of skill up front and a laissez faire attitude towards their opponent. Dartmouth won every board battle and just wanted this game more than the Crimson from start to finish.

    Will be interested to see what team shows up tomorrow night. Everyone on this team stunk the joint out tonight. And yeah, the crowd was equally pathetic. It's the playoffs for God's sake but no one seemed to care to show up and those who did were more interested in the buffet in the Boynton Lounge. Wow. Hockey has really fallen into disfavor or disinterest. Or both. Sad.

  3. #443
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    3,695

    Re: Harvard Crimson 2017-2018

    Quote Originally Posted by LTsatch View Post
    Harvard players must be depressed by the pitiful attendance at the game. looks like 300-500 folks.
    Closer to 1000 but there was no energy in the building at all and it helped the Green. Not that they needed it.

  4. #444
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    39

    Harvard Crimson 2017-2018

    Quote Originally Posted by bothman View Post
    No idea, but not good.
    Bowlby was injured last week with a contusion near his right eye. Much improved, but still badly bruised and swollen. Not sure what happened, but I gather he missed some practice time this week. He was in the stands tonight with the other non playing boys.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  5. #445
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    447

    Re: Harvard Crimson 2017-2018

    Quote Originally Posted by Skate79 View Post
    There really isn't much to add to the comments already posted. Harvard was outplayed and outclassed by a Dartmouth team that had a very simple game plan; take away the neutral zone, get your stick on their stick and block as many shots as possible. Of course it helped that the Crimson never showed up to play. Lackluster doesn't even begin to describe it. And shots on goal have to be the most meaningless statistic in hockey because there was no way we outshot them by two to one. We missed the net so many times or whiffed on shots that had potential it wasn't funny. The coaches had zero response to what Gaudet threw at them tonight and it probably has as much to do with the lack of skill up front and a laissez faire attitude towards their opponent. Dartmouth won every board battle and just wanted this game more than the Crimson from start to finish.

    Will be interested to see what team shows up tomorrow night. Everyone on this team stunk the joint out tonight. And yeah, the crowd was equally pathetic. It's the playoffs for God's sake but no one seemed to care to show up and those who did were more interested in the buffet in the Boynton Lounge. Wow. Hockey has really fallen into disfavor or disinterest. Or both. Sad.
    That was definitely not the Harvard team I am accustom to seeing! You know and I know they are better than that. They looked uninspired and lifeless with frustration bearing down their faces. Despite all that, I am quite sure we will see a much better Harvard team tomorrow, how much better relative to BG, remains to be seen. Well both of our team's headliners were neutralized (or didn't show up however you want to look at it). Our fourth and checking line scored the first two in the first. Go figure! The series is NOT over by any means.

  6. #446
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Parts Unknown
    Posts
    90
    I wouldn't say Harvard was outplayed. We outshot Dartmouth 35-21, but as often been the case, we couldn't bury our chances.

    PP was 0 for 5... Crowd was light, but keep in mind that spring break just started, so a lot of people are out of town.

    I hope we see a better outcome tomorrow

  7. #447

    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    5,488
    Quote Originally Posted by Game0n View Post
    I wouldn't say Harvard was outplayed. We outshot Dartmouth 35-21, but as often been the case, we couldn't bury our chances.

    PP was 0 for 5... Crowd was light, but keep in mind that spring break just started, so a lot of people are out of town.

    I hope we see a better outcome tomorrow
    Harvard shot totals are always misleading because they consistently settle for perimeter, off-angle stuff. And outside of a Donato, they don’t have guys who can finish outside of the pay dirt areas.

    Harvard was definitely outplayed!

  8. #448
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Parts Unknown
    Posts
    90
    Quote Originally Posted by bothman View Post
    Harvard shot totals are always misleading because they consistently settle for perimeter, off-angle stuff. And outside of a Donato, they don’t have guys who can finish outside of the pay dirt areas.

    Harvard was definitely outplayed!
    However you slice it, there's only one thing left to do - win every game or go home.

  9. #449
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    3,695

    Re: Harvard Crimson 2017-2018

    The results from last night back up what Bothman posted earlier in the season about the conference being wide open. To wit: Union entered the third period leading 3-2 and the third period is usually their best. Yet Princeton took control and won it going away. Colgate used a stingy D and goaltending to beat a Clarkson team in free fall. Only Cornell held serve (when has Cornell ever scored 9 goals in one game???).

    It wouldn't surprise me one bit if all four series went the distance. It also wouldn't surprise me if Harvard lost tonight to end their season. The Crimson's inconsistency this season has been maddening but not showing up to play with any urgency last night was really frustrating. That simply should not have happened.

  10. #450
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    93

    Re: Harvard Crimson 2017-2018

    I witnessed one of the more bizarre incidents I've seen at a sporting event. There were a number of Dartmouth fans sitting behind the Harvard bench, one kept banging on the glass and jawing at Ted Donato. During the second period, while play was going on, Donato turned and for about a minute shouted back at the fan. He was extremely angry. If you lose control so that a fan takes away your concentration...well, I don't know what that says. The fan got tossed in the third period, after some fan started watching him and got security.

    The team was lackluster like Skate said, although Dartmouth played very well and looks like the superior team. I expect they will make short work of it tonight.

    A lot of the usual season ticket holders weren't there, I wonder if the basketball tournament takes away fans, although I don'tsee much overlap between theregulars at basketball and hockey.

  11. #451
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    260

    Re: Harvard Crimson 2017-2018

    Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Faced View Post
    A lot of the usual season ticket holders weren't there, I wonder if the basketball tournament takes away fans, although I don'tsee much overlap between theregulars at basketball and hockey.
    I still maintain that the Harvard plan for putting fans into the seats for these ECAC playoffs is just really poor. Unlike some other programs who incorporate playoffs into the season ticket plans, Bright-Landry just starts from scratch with an empty hall 12 (or 5) days prior. No season ticket holder has any obligation to buy (more) tickets to attend, nor any inside track to even their own seats, and the amount of general promotion that I can detect is slim to none. In years past we have gone down to the Whale for a Harvard-Yale playoff series, and there were scant few tickets available even the day after the playoff match-up was set - because season ticket holders. And yes the place was packed. Just look at the Bright-Landry seating charts right now for tonight. You can buy front row seats in virtually any section, and yes you can buy seats just inches (thought the glass) from Ted Donato. Sections 8 and 7 (where the band should be but apparently are not coming) are 100% available. 100%! It's an embarrassment surely, but not fully explains by lack of fan enthusiasm.
    https://tickets.gocrimson.com/Online/mapSelect.asp
    Last edited by Crimson on the Glass; 03-10-2018 at 12:04 PM.

  12. #452
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    447

    Re: Harvard Crimson 2017-2018

    Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Faced View Post
    I witnessed one of the more bizarre incidents I've seen at a sporting event. There were a number of Dartmouth fans sitting behind the Harvard bench, one kept banging on the glass and jawing at Ted Donato. During the second period, while play was going on, Donato turned and for about a minute shouted back at the fan. He was extremely angry. If you lose control so that a fan takes away your concentration...well, I don't know what that says. The fan got tossed in the third period, after some fan started watching him and got security.

    The team was lackluster like Skate said, although Dartmouth played very well and looks like the superior team. I expect they will make short work of it tonight.

    A lot of the usual season ticket holders weren't there, I wonder if the basketball tournament takes away fans, although I don'tsee much overlap between theregulars at basketball and hockey.
    First of all, on behalf of hockey in general and especially BG fans, I would like to extend an apology...that should never happened to that degree is sports. Selfishly, I hope you are correct in your prediction! Regardless, good luck tonight as you and I know that was not your team last night.

  13. #453
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    At the beach
    Posts
    4,307

    Re: Harvard Crimson 2017-2018

    Quote Originally Posted by Crimson on the Glass View Post
    I still maintain that the Harvard plan for putting fans into the seats for these ECAC playoffs is just really poor. Unlike some other programs who incorporate playoffs into the season ticket plans, Bright-Landry just starts from scratch with an empty hall 12 (or 5) days prior. No season ticket holder has any obligation to buy (more) tickets to attend, nor any inside track to even their own seats, and the amount of general promotion that I can detect is slim to none. In years past we have gone down to the Whale for a Harvard-Yale playoff series, and there were scant few tickets available even the day after the playoff match-up was set - because season ticket holders. And yes the place was packed. Just look at the Bright-Landry seating charts right now for tonight. You can buy front row seats in virtually any section, and yes you can buy seats just inches (thought the glass) from Ted Donato. Sections 8 and 7 (where the band should be but apparently are not coming) are 100% available. 100%! It's an embarrassment surely, but not fully explains by lack of fan enthusiasm.
    https://tickets.gocrimson.com/Online/mapSelect.asp
    Funny thing is, I bought a few tickets from the Harvard Box Office online for the last Yale at Harvard playoff series up there. They made a point of religiously calling me before every Harvard home game the past couple of seasons to see if I needed tickets. Eventually I told them I was a Yale fan and to take me off the list, but they tried very hard to get my business, thats for sure. The post season process they have instituted is beyond bizarre, it would be interesting to know just how many season ticket holders there actually are for Harvard Hockey. My guess is that Yale is around the 2K mark or better, which makes things easier for the marketing folks. Maybe too many other things to spend the entertainment dollars on up there, are the other beanpot schools seeing a decline as well?
    YALE HOCKEY
    2013 National Champions

  14. #454
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    325

    Re: Harvard Crimson 2017-2018

    Attendance at all playoff games is low- all 4 hockey east games had 2400 or less
    In hockey east not included in season ticket package because all playoff ticket revenue goes to hockey east
    Assume ECAC has a similar plan
    tickets for hockey east games were $26
    Does having Harvard game on TV discourage fans from going especially with Friday night traffic in Boston area

  15. #455
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    39

    Re: Harvard Crimson 2017-2018

    Quote Originally Posted by Game0n View Post
    However you slice it, there's only one thing left to do - win every game or go home.
    Play like the season is on the line because it is!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  16. #456

    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    5,488

    Re: Harvard Crimson 2017-2018

    That was more like it!

  17. #457
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    3,695
    Quote Originally Posted by bothman View Post
    That was more like it!
    You bet. We came to play tonight. No quit at all. After the first few minutes, the team started moving their feet and fought like tigers along the boards. Passing was crisp and they got some great looks at Buffalo. Dartmouth stood around way too much and backed off the forecheck unlike last night.

    Oh and a big “thank you” to #2 from Dartmouth. The kid has a burr under his saddle and is intent on riling up the Crimson on every shift. He doesn’t shut up.

    Lineup changes tonight also made a difference. Krushko played like last year’s sensational freshman on Ryan Donato’s line. Bowlby returned with Badini and Zerter Gossage. I like the changes.

    Saw Don Sweeney tonight and almost asked him not to take Ryan. Not that it would matter. He’ll just have to wait. Hopefully for another year!

  18. #458
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    3,695

    Re: Harvard Crimson 2017-2018

    Some additional thoughts after last game.

    1. If we get by the Green today, we'll face either Clarkson or Colgate. Princeton took care of Union in two straight which was somewhat of a shocker. I don't have a preference for either the Knights or the Raiders. At this time of year, anything is possible. Cornell sure looks primed though to make a run.

    2. The chippiness in this series is somewhat surprising. Maybe it has to do with something that happened up in Hanover the last time we played them. Had a chance to speak with Adam Fox's dad and he said it was no surprise to him. At this level, you expect that emotions will get dialed up especially for the playoffs.

    3. Good to see three lines contributing to the win last night and the D playing a much better transition game. I expect Dartmouth to throw the kitchen sink at Harvard today with all out pressure. I'm still not comfortable with Madsen even though he mades some great saves last night. We need him to be razor sharp today.

    4. Getting a lead is so important for Harvard. We don't play well coming from behind. I'm hoping the new line combos will remain in place. They looked great last night.

  19. #459
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    93

    Re: Harvard Crimson 2017-2018

    Quote Originally Posted by BIG Green View Post
    First of all, on behalf of hockey in general and especially BG fans, I would like to extend an apology...that should never happened to that degree is sports. Selfishly, I hope you are correct in your prediction! Regardless, good luck tonight as you and I know that was not your team last night.
    No need to apologize BG the guy was an outlier, there are many Dartmouth fans there, all well behaved. I was more perplexed by Donato's engaging him than what the fan was doing.

    Good luck tonight.

  20. #460
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    39

    Re: Harvard Crimson 2017-2018

    Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Faced View Post
    No need to apologize BG the guy was an outlier, there are many Dartmouth fans there, all well behaved. I was more perplexed by Donato's engaging him than what the fan was doing.

    Good luck tonight.




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •