Page 20 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1011121314151617181920212223242526272829 ... LastLast
Results 381 to 400 of 582

Thread: Harvard Crimson 2017-2018

  1. #381
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    3,696

    Re: Harvard Crimson 2017-2018

    Watching Ryan at the Olympics it becomes easy to see why he might jump after this season if the Bruins come calling (and why wouldn't they?). His game is suited for how the Bruins are currently playing and if you put him on a line with Trent Frederic and Anders Bjork, watch out.

    That's not to say I want him to leave. I don't. But it is hard to see why he would stay when he is clearly the best player on Team USA and is playing well against more established, albeit fringe, players. He has to feel like he has nothing more to prove by staying unless graduating with his class (and girlfriend) and celebrating Senior Day with his family is more important. This is going to be one tough call. If Teddy had any hair left, it would disappear by June.

  2. #382
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    41

    Harvard Crimson 2017-2018

    Quote Originally Posted by Skate79 View Post
    Watching Ryan at the Olympics it becomes easy to see why he might jump after this season if the Bruins come calling (and why wouldn't they?). His game is suited for how the Bruins are currently playing and if you put him on a line with Trent Frederic and Anders Bjork, watch out.

    That's not to say I want him to leave. I don't. But it is hard to see why he would stay when he is clearly the best player on Team USA and is playing well against more established, albeit fringe, players. He has to feel like he has nothing more to prove by staying unless graduating with his class (and girlfriend) and celebrating Senior Day with his family is more important. This is going to be one tough call. If Teddy had any hair left, it would disappear by June.
    How would it look if the coach who successfully persuaded Jimmy Vesey, Alex Killorn, Alex Kerfoot, Danny Biega, and Dominic Moore to stay for four years sends his own son off to the NHL mid-way through the junior year? Seems at best credibility is compromised and some would even suggest hypocrisy. If one looks at this from the greater perspective and good of the team it seems much is at stake. I am certain the Harvard administration would not be pleased if Ryan left prematurely. I would actually be concerned that an early departure may well portend a more carefully considered admissions review process going forward.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by HUCrimson#1; 02-20-2018 at 06:41 PM.

  3. #383
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    260

    Re: Harvard Crimson 2017-2018

    Quote Originally Posted by HUCrimson#1 View Post
    How would it look if the coach who successfully persuaded Jimmy Vesey, Alex Killorn, Alex Kerfoot, Danny Biega, and Dominic Moore to stay for four years sends his own son off to the NHL mid-way through the junior year? Seems at best credibility is compromised and some would even suggest hypocrisy. If one looks at this from the greater perspective and good of the team it seems much is at stake. I am certain the Harvard administration would not be pleased if Ryan left prematurely.
    I agree with you, but I also like to think that its good for the student athlete to stay and finish his degree with his class, regardless of what he plans to do next.

    I just watched last night's Slovakia game and I have to say it was so great to see Ted Donato cheering wildly in his tuque. I hope tonight's game goes as well.

    The Ticket Office just offered me a chance to buy tickets for the 2nd round ECAC home stand Mar 9-11. Even though we are in the 1-2 day window when tickets are offered to season ticket holders first (prior to general public Thursday), unbelievably the seats of season ticket holders are not protected. What I mean is I could have bought any seat at Bright-Landry, including all those in my our section that I KNOW are held by season ticket holders, and anybody could have bought our usual seats too. Sometimes I think the ticket office just doesn't get it.

    And Yale sold out for this Saturday. That's the place to be, I don't think the Brown game will compare.
    Last edited by Crimson on the Glass; 02-20-2018 at 08:35 PM.

  4. #384
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    4,768
    U.S. is done. Nevertheless, good tourney for Donato (& Terry).

  5. #385
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    14,004

    Re: Harvard Crimson 2017-2018

    Quote Originally Posted by HUCrimson#1 View Post
    How would it look if the coach who successfully persuaded Jimmy Vesey, Alex Killorn, Alex Kerfoot, Danny Biega, and Dominic Moore to stay for four years sends his own son off to the NHL mid-way through the junior year? Seems at best credibility is compromised and some would even suggest hypocrisy. If one looks at this from the greater perspective and good of the team it seems much is at stake. I am certain the Harvard administration would not be pleased if Ryan left prematurely. I would actually be concerned that an early departure may well portend a more carefully considered admissions review process going forward.
    What do you mean mid-way through junior year? Thought the poster said after this season. Keep in mind that Donato also started at Harvard a little later than usual, after he was drafted. He's going to be 22 in April. Despite Don Sweeney's ties to Harvard I have to think they want to sign him. And as a local kid, I can't see Ryan going the free agent route. He probably wants to play for the Bruins. Is it possible to get your degree from Harvard in three years? Not sure if he's been working toward that but this isn't a Louis Leblanc one and done. Getting three years is nothing to scoff at these days. And if he doesn't get his degree after three years I'm willing to bet he does whatever it takes to secure it even after going pro.

  6. #386
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    4,768

    Re: Harvard Crimson 2017-2018

    he is going to stay & get his degree. the nhl will be there. he needs to get stronger anyway.

    otherwise everything the dad preaches, the emperor has no clothes. they are a smart family & will do the right thing.. just my opinion.
    GO NU HOCKEY
    Always bullish on the future.
    We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot.. but when we do.. we are the Champions

  7. #387
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    2,426

    Re: Harvard Crimson 2017-2018

    Quote Originally Posted by J.D. View Post
    What do you mean mid-way through junior year? Thought the poster said after this season. Keep in mind that Donato also started at Harvard a little later than usual, after he was drafted. He's going to be 22 in April. Despite Don Sweeney's ties to Harvard I have to think they want to sign him. And as a local kid, I can't see Ryan going the free agent route. He probably wants to play for the Bruins. Is it possible to get your degree from Harvard in three years? Not sure if he's been working toward that but this isn't a Louis Leblanc one and done. Getting three years is nothing to scoff at these days. And if he doesn't get his degree after three years I'm willing to bet he does whatever it takes to secure it even after going pro.
    This. The Bruins should get him signed the second Harvard's season is over. He can finish his degree anytime considering Harvard is down the street from the Garden. Its not like he would be playing all the time for a team in Western Canada. He has summers to finish this degree.
    QUINNIPIAC UNIVERSITY BOBCATS


    ECAC Regular Season Champions
    2013, 2015, 2016

    ECAC Tournament Champions
    2016

    NCAA Tournament
    2002, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016

    NCAA Frozen Four
    2013, 2016

    http://www.bobcatshockeyblog.com/
    https://twitter.com/QHockeyBlog
    https://www.instagram.com/bobcatshockeyblog/
    https://www.facebook.com/QHockeyBlog/

  8. #388
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Parts Unknown
    Posts
    98

    Re: Harvard Crimson 2017-2018

    Quote Originally Posted by J.D. View Post
    Is it possible to get your degree from Harvard in three years? Not sure if he's been working toward that but this isn't a Louis Leblanc one and done. Getting three years is nothing to scoff at these days. And if he doesn't get his degree after three years I'm willing to bet he does whatever it takes to secure it even after going pro.
    It might be possible to leave after junior year, then come back and take summer classes for the next couple years in order to get enough credits to graduate???

  9. #389
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    3,696

    Re: Harvard Crimson 2017-2018

    Quote Originally Posted by HUCrimson#1 View Post
    How would it look if the coach who successfully persuaded Jimmy Vesey, Alex Killorn, Alex Kerfoot, Danny Biega, and Dominic Moore to stay for four years sends his own son off to the NHL mid-way through the junior year? Seems at best credibility is compromised and some would even suggest hypocrisy. If one looks at this from the greater perspective and good of the team it seems much is at stake. I am certain the Harvard administration would not be pleased if Ryan left prematurely. I would actually be concerned that an early departure may well portend a more carefully considered admissions review process going forward.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I never said that Teddy was going to encourage Ryan to leave. Quite the opposite, I think he will make a push to have him stay. But I also think he won't stand in the way if Ryan is adamant about leaving after this year. And Teddy never coached Dom Moore. That was Mazzoleni.

    Admissions isn't going to lay this at the feet of the coach. They know that the coaches are in a tough spot having to compete against schools where athletes regularly leave after one or two years. Tommy Amaker would have faced that after this season if Wes Carter chose to attend Harvard. NBA scouts have him pegged going no later than #8 in the first round. How do you tell a kid to ignore that standing and stay for four years? Not going to happen.

    I have no idea what Ryan will or won't do but I'm sure that he will sit down with his family and friends and talk it through. If Harvard had another head coach besides his father, perhaps the decision would be easier for him to leave. Again, I don't know. Let's just enjoy the present moment and let the process unfold after the season.

  10. #390
    Harvard Hockey Broadcaster '09-'12
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,142

    Re: Harvard Crimson 2017-2018

    Quote Originally Posted by Game0n View Post
    It might be possible to leave after junior year, then come back and take summer classes for the next couple years in order to get enough credits to graduate???
    Both are possibilities. That was talk that Danny Biega was going to try to finish Harvard in three years to head to the pros back when he was drafted but it is extremely difficult. Advanced standing, summer classes, and taking a 5 class courseload per semester while playing would be pretty much the only way. He can also take summer classes (and possibly extension classes?) the next few years. Being in Boston, he could (he wouldn't so don't yell at me that I'm being ridiculous, I'm saying only the possible even if unlikely) even take a class during the year.

    I hope he stays but gut feeling says he goes.

    As for the long lamented Louis Leblanc - well even he came back to the campus once his playing days were over. Even one and dones are not necessarily one and done at Harvard.
    Former Harvard Hockey broadcaster on 95.3 FM and WHRB.org.
    Go Crimson!

  11. #391
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Parts Unknown
    Posts
    98

    Re: Harvard Crimson 2017-2018

    Not sure if the New Haven Register has any inside info, but this is what they are publishing this AM:

    Team USA’s loss to the Czech Republic in the Olympic hockey quarterfinals Tuesday night means Keith Allain, a U.S. assistant coach, returns to the Yale bench for Friday night’s game with Dartmouth at Ingalls Rink.

    It also means Ryan Donato, the breakout star of the Olympics, will be in town when Harvard visits on Saturday night. Donato, a junior for the Crimson, had five goals for the U.S., more than any other player in the Olympic tournament through the U.S. elimination.

    There’s been speculation Donato, a Bruins draft pick, could sign an NHL contract immediately to help the Boston in the stretch run. It seems unlikely Donato would abandon teammates and his father, Ted, Harvard’s coach, just a week before the ECAC Hockey playoffs.

    Donato has 21 goals in 23 games for Harvard this winter.

    Those looking for tickets to Yale-Harvard will need to hit the secondary market. Saturday’s game is sold out. Limited tickets are available for the Friday game.


    https://www.nhregister.com/sports/ar...g-12631629.php

  12. #392
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    3,696

    Re: Harvard Crimson 2017-2018

    Quote Originally Posted by Game0n View Post
    Not sure if the New Haven Register has any inside info, but this is what they are publishing this AM:

    Team USA’s loss to the Czech Republic in the Olympic hockey quarterfinals Tuesday night means Keith Allain, a U.S. assistant coach, returns to the Yale bench for Friday night’s game with Dartmouth at Ingalls Rink.

    It also means Ryan Donato, the breakout star of the Olympics, will be in town when Harvard visits on Saturday night. Donato, a junior for the Crimson, had five goals for the U.S., more than any other player in the Olympic tournament through the U.S. elimination.

    There’s been speculation Donato, a Bruins draft pick, could sign an NHL contract immediately to help the Boston in the stretch run. It seems unlikely Donato would abandon teammates and his father, Ted, Harvard’s coach, just a week before the ECAC Hockey playoffs.

    Donato has 21 goals in 23 games for Harvard this winter.

    Those looking for tickets to Yale-Harvard will need to hit the secondary market. Saturday’s game is sold out. Limited tickets are available for the Friday game.


    https://www.nhregister.com/sports/ar...g-12631629.php
    Like others from NBC and ESPN, they are all whistling past the graveyard. They are caught up in Ryan's play without knowing anything about how he looks at Harvard, his teammates or anything else. Like most media outlets, it's throw it against the wall and see what sticks. Sad state of affairs.

  13. #393
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Indialantic, FL
    Posts
    8,035
    Quote Originally Posted by Crimson on the Glass View Post
    I agree with you, but I also like to think that its good for the student athlete to stay and finish his degree with his class, regardless of what he plans to do next.

    I just watched last night's Slovakia game and I have to say it was so great to see Ted Donato cheering wildly in his tuque. I hope tonight's game goes as well.

    The Ticket Office just offered me a chance to buy tickets for the 2nd round ECAC home stand Mar 9-11. Even though we are in the 1-2 day window when tickets are offered to season ticket holders first (prior to general public Thursday), unbelievably the seats of season ticket holders are not protected. What I mean is I could have bought any seat at Bright-Landry, including all those in my our section that I KNOW are held by season ticket holders, and anybody could have bought our usual seats too. Sometimes I think the ticket office just doesn't get it.

    And Yale sold out for this Saturday. That's the place to be, I don't think the Brown game will compare.
    The ECAC owns the tickets for playoff games and sets the policies for their sale. Same story at every school - your ticket office has no choice in the matter.

  14. #394
    C'mon Q! MarkEagleUSA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    113 @ the Bank!
    Posts
    11,009

    Re: Harvard Crimson 2017-2018

    Quote Originally Posted by LynahFan View Post
    The ECAC owns the tickets for playoff games and sets the policies for their sale. Same story at every school - your ticket office has no choice in the matter.
    That's only true for the finals in Lake Placid. As a season ticket holder at QU I get 1st/2nd round playoff tickets for any home games as part of my package.
    Quinnipiac Bobcats
    2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16 ECAC Regular Season Champions
    2013 East Regional Champions, Frozen Four
    2014 East Regional
    2015 West Regional
    2016 ECAC Tournament Champions, East Regional Champions, Frozen Four

  15. #395
    Here every day
    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Location
    rome,n.y.13440 usa
    Posts
    6,358

    Re: Harvard Crimson 2017-2018

    I "think" he's right Mark, I know at Colgate ECAC playoff games are different, all counted very closely and no comps. Maybe Q-Pac does this as special gratitude to season ticket holders. Could we see you in Hamilton opening round of the playoffs ?
    It all starts with the goaltending.

  16. #396
    C'mon Q! MarkEagleUSA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    113 @ the Bank!
    Posts
    11,009

    Re: Harvard Crimson 2017-2018

    Quote Originally Posted by sshablak View Post
    I "think" he's right Mark, I know at Colgate ECAC playoff games are different, all counted very closely and no comps. Maybe Q-Pac does this as special gratitude to season ticket holders. Could we see you in Hamilton opening round of the playoffs ?
    Not sure how what QU is doing is "special". They'd be bound to the same constraints as everyone else. Maybe each school does their own thing for the first 2 rounds?

    And I'm still hoping someone will be coming to Hamden!
    Quinnipiac Bobcats
    2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16 ECAC Regular Season Champions
    2013 East Regional Champions, Frozen Four
    2014 East Regional
    2015 West Regional
    2016 ECAC Tournament Champions, East Regional Champions, Frozen Four

  17. #397
    Made in the USA
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    45,574

    Re: Harvard Crimson 2017-2018

    Quote Originally Posted by MarkEagleUSA View Post
    That's only true for the finals in Lake Placid. As a season ticket holder at QU I get 1st/2nd round playoff tickets for any home games as part of my package.
    Still doesn't refute LynahFan's point. All that means is that QU chose to purchase your seat from the league, and then "re-sold" it to you as part of the package. Hence why some schools have put out information about getting those tickets refunded.
    It was an honor to present your colors, RPI. Let's Go 'TUTE!
    May 14th, 2011, 11:00 PM ET: 2147483647

    "Better to be infamous than never famous at all." -Roger Stone

    Quote Originally Posted by French Rage View Post
    Ahh crap I agree exactly with what FlagDude said.
    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    And yet, even if Flaggy is complete tinfoil hat, every day it looks closer and closer to the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    So flaggy: you win.

  18. #398
    C'mon Q! MarkEagleUSA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    113 @ the Bank!
    Posts
    11,009

    Re: Harvard Crimson 2017-2018

    Quote Originally Posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    All that means is that QU chose to purchase your seat from the league, and then "re-sold" it to you as part of the package. Hence why some schools have put out information about getting those tickets refunded.
    I understand what you're saying but this is the way it's been for the last 11 years. We get 3 tickets per seat good for either round. If we don't get a home series, we're credited towards next years ticket. Just seems odd that the school would be doing what you suggest ahead of time every year.
    Quinnipiac Bobcats
    2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16 ECAC Regular Season Champions
    2013 East Regional Champions, Frozen Four
    2014 East Regional
    2015 West Regional
    2016 ECAC Tournament Champions, East Regional Champions, Frozen Four

  19. #399
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    3,696

    Re: Harvard Crimson 2017-2018

    Quote Originally Posted by Crimson on the Glass View Post
    The Ticket Office just offered me a chance to buy tickets for the 2nd round ECAC home stand Mar 9-11. Even though we are in the 1-2 day window when tickets are offered to season ticket holders first (prior to general public Thursday), unbelievably the seats of season ticket holders are not protected. What I mean is I could have bought any seat at Bright-Landry, including all those in my our section that I KNOW are held by season ticket holders, and anybody could have bought our usual seats too. Sometimes I think the ticket office just doesn't get it.
    The policy used to be that season ticket holders had right of first refusal on their seats for any and all home playoff games. Once you submitted the dates you were attending, you were locked in. If you didn't correspond with the Ticket Office, then a week before the first home playoff game, your tickets were released to the general public. I don't know where this ECAC control comes into play. I always communicated with Harvard about my seats. If the policy has changed (I gave up my seats a few years ago when travel for work got in the way), that's unfortunate because season ticket holders deserve priority.

  20. #400
    Made in the USA
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    45,574

    Re: Harvard Crimson 2017-2018

    Quote Originally Posted by MarkEagleUSA View Post
    I understand what you're saying but this is the way it's been for the last 11 years. We get 3 tickets per seat good for either round. If we don't get a home series, we're credited towards next years ticket. Just seems odd that the school would be doing what you suggest ahead of time every year.
    They probably have been doing it the entire time, just "behind the scenes".
    It was an honor to present your colors, RPI. Let's Go 'TUTE!
    May 14th, 2011, 11:00 PM ET: 2147483647

    "Better to be infamous than never famous at all." -Roger Stone

    Quote Originally Posted by French Rage View Post
    Ahh crap I agree exactly with what FlagDude said.
    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    And yet, even if Flaggy is complete tinfoil hat, every day it looks closer and closer to the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    So flaggy: you win.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •