Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Harvard Crimson 2017-2018

Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
    No matter that we may have outplayed and certainly outshot Cornell; what matters is the final score and we lost. So sour grapes or not, all that counts is on the scoreboard. I'm not pro on anyone in the ECAC going anywhere in the NCAAs this year. The conference just doesn't look all that strong.

As Both has pointed out, Harvard is average to mediocre. We haven't beaten a top team all year unless you count the Union OT win. What's disappointing to me is our D and goaltending. They were supposed to be the bulwark of the team and yet they have been subpar. Hard to understand what's going on. And given that Lackey started last night, I'm assuming that if Madsen isn't injured, that the coaching staff has seen enough and will go with Lackey down the stretch. At least we'll find out if he is worthy of being our #1 next year.

I said from the beginning of the year that we would be offensively challenged and that has proven to be the case. When Ryan leaves for South Korea, it could get ugly. I have no idea who is going to step up at this point. Krusko, Zerter-Gossage, Pelton-Byce, Floodstrand? A lot will fall on Badini's shoulders. I guess we just have to look at this season as a bridge to the next two years when more talent arrives.
    So, essentially, nothing is good about the team, except Ryan Donato? I don't know how many games the majority of you Harvard critics (certainly not supporters) have actually been to, but I've gone to quite a few and the team is good, far from "pedestrian," above average. No, it's not last year's team, but the Harvard boys battle hard every night and are fun to watch. No, we haven't had the success we were hoping for, but almost all the games have been competitive and could've gone either way. I used the term sour grapes to refer to the consistent pessimistic, negative comments about specific players and the team that appear on this thread after every game, win or loss or tie, by people whose expectations are unrealistic.

Comment

• Originally posted by Replay View Post
      So, essentially, nothing is good about the team, except Ryan Donato? I don't know how many games the majority of you Harvard critics (certainly not supporters) have actually been to, but I've gone to quite a few and the team is good, far from "pedestrian," above average. No, it's not last year's team, but the Harvard boys battle hard every night and are fun to watch. No, we haven't had the success we were hoping for, but almost all the games have been competitive and could've gone either way. I used the term sour grapes to refer to the consistent pessimistic, negative comments about specific players and the team that appear on this thread after every game, win or loss or tie, by people whose expectations are unrealistic.
      Expectations may be unrealistic, but with a very high preseason ranking which was obviously misguided, expectations will be there.

You are right, Harvard generally competes. But when I say pedestrian, I mean based on a very large sample set. I have watched / followed Harvard since 1979 roughly. And over that time period, there have been some great teams and some god awful ones (see late 90s). And this team is average /pedestrian relatively. Certainly not as good as the past 2 years, not as good as the Noah Welch teams in the early to mid 2000s, and certainly not as good as the 80s run.

Harvard brings in a lot next year on offense. 3 forwards in the Top 10 in USHL scoring, arguably the best finisher in the world for his age group and projected to be a Top 10 1st round pick, and a high end, puck moving defenseman. If Donato stays, could be a team poised for a run.

Comment

• Originally posted by bothman View Post

Harvard brings in a lot next year on offense. 3 forwards in the Top 10 in USHL scoring, arguably the best finisher in the world for his age group and projected to be a Top 10 1st round pick, and a high end, puck moving defenseman. If Donato stays, could be a team poised for a run.
        Even though this year is a little off, I still think we can take Clarkson and/or Cornell in Lake Placid. That is what the season will come down to. And next season should be something to look forward to

Comment

• Originally posted by Game0n View Post
          Even though this year is a little off, I still think we can take Clarkson and/or Cornell in Lake Placid. That is what the season will come down to. And next season should be something to look forward to
          Agree. Both teams solid, but again, there is no team in the ECAC this year like Harvard last year (whose slate of wins validated their ranking on the national scene).

But again, even if Harvard plays its way into the tourney, expecting a win would be a major stretch. Harvard and the ECAC (and all of Eastern Hockey) is not where it has been the last few years.

Comment

please tell mookie that is one of y'all flippin' the L to the colgate boys as they are celebrating out on the uscho front page!!!!
            a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

• Originally posted by bothman View Post
              Because I said Cornell was overrated and unproven and that the last 5 minutes up at Lynah were a joke and that this Harvard team (in spite of recent performance) isn't that good, has little to no depth, and is about to lose their best player for 2+ weeks?

Last night's game does nothing to change any of the above. If Cornell fans want to get a hard on for beating this Harvard team, go for it. I hate to say it but it just is not a statement win.

Truth:
              1) Harvard is not a great team this year
              2) Cornell has not played anyone this year (completely untested) - likely played 1 tournament team thus far (Clarkson) and lost 4-0 at home
              3) The last 5 minutes at Lynah saw Donato hooked on a breakaway (Cornell stick in midsection which is an automatic whistle reardless if tugged. Phantom call on Harvard D to give Cornell PP. Bench minor on a coach who is hardly known as a hot head in the ECAC because he did go nuts because of the series of horrendous calls and no calls by the stripes.

Harvard played 2 @Minny this year and while the scores may indicate decent games, Harvard was completely outclassed. Outshot almost 2x1 and Minnesota, while turning it on a bit as of late, is a fairly mediocre team this year out West. Minny also took care of Clarkson twice as well this year, but at least Clarkson played Providence, Western Michigan, etc and not Alabama Huntsville. I hate to rain on your parade (and maybe Cornell will ride that goalie to the top of the mountain), but I just don't see it. This is not the Cornell team circa 2003 (I think that was the year you guys lost to Wisco). Not even close.

Call it sour grapes. Call it hot air. Call it whatever you want. And I will be rooting hard for Cornell in the NCAAs like I always have.
              2-0 loss to Colgate at home reaffirms the above post in terms of a pedestrian H team and Cornell’s win hardly being a statement. Wrist shots from the perimeter all night long. Don’t be fooled by the shots on goal. Shots were indicative of possession, but not quality. 90% of Harvard shots were off-angle or harmless wrist shots from the perimeter.

Perhaps Donato leaving the team for a few weeks will be a good thing. Less dangle and more pay dirt. This team needs to get into the tough areas and not be so willing to settle for shots from the cheap seats.

Comment

Originally posted by Replay View Post
                I didn't say that. Look at the numbers. The disparity between what Ryan is doing and the rest of the team is glaring. Krushko and Zerter-Gossage in particular have not stepped up this year. True, a lot of that has to do with the graduation losses especially Kerfoot and Malone who were pillars of strength down the middle and allowed the wingers to play with more open looks. I still feel that there is enough talent on this team to be better and certainly not to get shut out on back to back nights at home. But perhaps I'm wrong about that. All I know is that there are too many passengers riding this train. And certainly the D and the goaltending should be better. I've seen enough games this season to know that to be true.

Comment

In some ways the current season reminds me of Jimmy Vesey’s senior season. That year it seemed the team depended too much on his play-making and scoring ability. The following season, i.e., last year multiple players such as Malone, Moy, Kerfoot, Criscuolo all stepped up to fill the void. Seems this year there is a similar, somewhat subconscious, reliance on Ryan to do the heavy lifting. Ryan’s absence presents an opportunity to test this theory with the current cast. BTW, seems Bowlby will return as soon as he is able. He is not withdrawing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by HUCrimson#1 View Post
                    In some ways the current season reminds me of Jimmy Vesey’s senior season. That year it seemed the team depended too much on his play-making and scoring ability. The following season, i.e., last year multiple players such as Malone, Moy, Kerfoot, Criscuolo all stepped up to fill the void. Seems this year there is a similar, somewhat subconscious, reliance on Ryan to do the heavy lifting. Ryan’s absence presents an opportunity to test this theory with the current cast. BTW, seems Bowlby will return as soon as he is able. He is not withdrawing.

I agree. Should be interesting. Good news re Bowlby.

Comment

Great news on Bowlby. They miss his speed and his bite. I'd like to see him back on the top line and Byce moved down.

A couple of other thoughts after watching both games this weekend:

1) The D is really struggling to get shots through in general, but especially on the PP. A part of this may be because the forwards are so stationary. It seems like all of the shots are blocked or are are wide/high. I also have noticed that the D is not moving forward in the offensive zone to shorten the pass and allow them to fire the puck from closer in. They seem to stay at the blue line and not cheat in on the PP, forcing the opposing PK unit to collapse as well.

2) The PP is 100% broken. It's as bad as it has been in 5 years. It has become so easy to defend and while the personnel is not what existed last year, there is too much talent on this PP for it to be as anemic as it is. I don't like Donato playing up high. I prefer him to play down low (like Vesey did) and either cut across and shoot or pass to the slot for a one-timer. The puck is staying on the perimeter for much too long. Harvard seems lucky to get 1-2 SOGs on the PP these days when they used to get 5-6 over the past few years

Comment

Originally posted by bothman View Post
                        Great news on Bowlby. They miss his speed and his bite. I'd like to see him back on the top line and Byce moved down.

A couple of other thoughts after watching both games this weekend:

1) The D is really struggling to get shots through in general, but especially on the PP. A part of this may be because the forwards are so stationary. It seems like all of the shots are blocked or are are wide/high. I also have noticed that the D is not moving forward in the offensive zone to shorten the pass and allow them to fire the puck from closer in. They seem to stay at the blue line and not cheat in on the PP, forcing the opposing PK unit to collapse as well.

2) The PP is 100% broken. It's as bad as it has been in 5 years. It has become so easy to defend and while the personnel is not what existed last year, there is too much talent on this PP for it to be as anemic as it is. I don't like Donato playing up high. I prefer him to play down low (like Vesey did) and either cut across and shoot or pass to the slot for a one-timer. The puck is staying on the perimeter for much too long. Harvard seems lucky to get 1-2 SOGs on the PP these days when they used to get 5-6 over the past few years
                        Agree on all points and it is great news about Henry. We need him.

I'm actually puzzled as to why Teddy has Ryan out at the point. I know that is where he started as a freshman on the PP but he is much more valuable to us down low. And he isn't afraid to go to the dirty areas to score. We have enough offensive capability to put Walsh and Fox on the first unit or split them up and put Pelton Byce or Seb Lloyd back with Fox to allow Ryan to operate around the faceoff circles.

Comment

Originally posted by HUCrimson#1 View Post

Good points. That '15-'16 team never could really get it together despite some impressive wins (the Mariucci Classic and beating Minnesota AGAIN in their barn). And I think Malone was hurt at certain points during the season. No question that they leaned heavily on Vesey. Let's hope that this year's team figures it out before March.

Comment

Assuming he gets medical clearance it seems Bowlby might try to return for the Beanpot against BU.

Comment

If the coaches did not switch players up after back to back shutouts, why would they make any changes after winning a game? Keep him out for the BU game. If they lose, then switch the lineups around, win and keep him out til after the beanpot is over. If it was really mono that he had, he would still be weak and not in game shape anyways.

Comment

• Originally posted by slapperjack View Post
                                If the coaches did not switch players up after back to back shutouts, why would they make any changes after winning a game? Keep him out for the BU game. If they lose, then switch the lineups around, win and keep him out til after the beanpot is over. If it was really mono that he had, he would still be weak and not in game shape anyways.
                                Because he was a Top 5 offensive player with the best +/- on the team and perhaps the fastest player on the team. He makes the first line better and would bump Byce to the 2nd Line.

Comment

Working...
                                X