Harvard Crimson 2017-2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Harvard Crimson 2017-2018

As I'm going through my teams recruits for next season I can't help but notice the amount of talent that is heading to Harvard. Anybody with any insight on how good these team could be next year or years upcoming?

Comment

Originally posted by Bender14 View Post
      As I'm going through my teams recruits for next season I can't help but notice the amount of talent that is heading to Harvard. Anybody with any insight on how good these team could be next year or years upcoming?
      I follow Clarkson recruiting closely and while watching Dunne, Hurley, Tisdale, Underwood I've seen Dornbach a lot and he's going to be a real good player. I've never really seen Harvard take many older recruits like this but he's definitely worth it, he is your classic late bloomer and will be a great NCAA player. I'll be honest, I don't believe Wahlstrom makes it to campus although I hope he does as it will make the ECAC that much more interesting, the NTDP being in Ann Arbor is a scary thing with Michigan now having Mel Pearson at the helm who has one of the best recruiting staffs in college hockey and obviously Michigan sells itself in most scenarios. There's no shortage of hockey IQ with Baker Shore and Jack Drury, with Dornbach/Drury/Shore those three will put up points at the college level right away. Rathbone will probably make the jump straight to Harvard as well, he's a great skater and will add to your defense who already move the puck with the best of teams. RJ Murphy and Jonny Russell I haven't seen at all but they both seem they'll be solid 4 year players but I wouldn't expect any instant impact, him and Rifai are much of the same player but Rathbone has 10x the ceiling, both will need help defensively at the next level. In net Lackey will battle Gibson/Schaedig, Gibson has had an unreal NAHL season and is definitely on NHL teams radar for the upcoming draft.

Especially looking over the past few years and even heading into the future Harvard usually will lead the ECAC with recruiting, if Marino and Walsh are planning to stay I just don't see a drop off from the Donato departure, one player is great but an improved forward core is better, if Badini, Bowlby, Krusko, Pelton-Byce, Zerter-Gossage all take steps as older players (like most of your guys do under Donato) and then you add Dornback, Drury, Shore along with Rathbone and Rifai defensively, I still think you'll be top 4 in a tough ECAC next season, if you succeed in your non-conference then you'll be a lock for the tournament. With all that said your rivals over in New Haven have a really nice class coming in next season with Curtis Hall, Kyle Johnson, Graham Lillibridge, Justin Pearson, and John St. Ivany but Harvard is loaded for the next 3 years even with the potential decommitments that are bound to happen.

I'd say it's Harvard 1, Yale 2, Clarkson 3, Princeton 4 with nobody quite close behind them in terms of recruiting in the ECAC, to be fair to teams like Cornell, Dartmouth, Union they are returning a lot of players so it wasn't as crucial for those teams.
      Last edited by techtodenver; 03-27-2018, 10:13 AM.

Comment

https://***********/JeffCoxSports/status/983742635725729793

Last edited by Game0n; 04-10-2018, 02:02 PM.

Comment

Couple of tidbits:

- Wahlstrom not coming to Harvard is disappointing, but not surprising and while I am speculating, my guess is that this option is based on getting thru admissions. He is likely a 1 and done player (maybe 2 years) and guys with that kind of pedigree are better served by mercenary college hockey programs. Harvard will always be better off with 3-4 year players - guys who value academics, , but perhaps are under-sized where developing in college will best serve them. Wahlstrom is 6'1 205lbs - he has a NHL body which is also why he surely a short-timer in college

- Harvard brings in 3 freshman next year who are in the Top 15 in scoring in the USHL. Really like this class which brings in a mix of age, scoring, and smarts. They also bring in 2 goalies next year and I think the goalie position will be as competitive as it has been for years.

- Paul Pearl did not get the Merrimack job so he should be back behind the bench next year

- More early defections to the NHL this year: Angello (Cornell), Rempal (Clarkson), etc. We already know how well Donato is doing in Boston playing on the #2 line. Should make for continued parity next year.

- In terms of longer term recruits, keep your eyes on Matt Beniers out of Milton Academy. All the big schools are vying for him, but Harvard is right there. He is likely the top forward out of the East with a 2002 birth year.

- Cornell was the #1 seed and couldn't even hold serve in the regional. Reaffirms how down the ECAC was this year and how Cornell's record was hollow given the lack of quality in the ECAC coupled with Cornell's non-conference schedule (Niagara, Alabama Huntsville, please!). I hope they hid the hemlock up in Ithaca.

Comment

Originally posted by bothman View Post
            Couple of tidbits:

- Cornell was the #1 seed and couldn't even hold serve in the regional. Reaffirms how down the ECAC was this year and how Cornell's record was hollow given the lack of quality in the ECAC coupled with Cornell's non-conference schedule (Niagara, Alabama Huntsville, please!). I hope they hid the hemlock up in Ithaca.
            Even worse, St Cloud St (previously #1 in the polls) lost to unranked Air Force. And UMD was ranked #11 in the polls on March 19th, but was the ultimate champion. I think this shows just how much parity there is in D1 hockey. Seems like more parity than ever to me.

Comment

Comment

I know that in an earlier post I said 'goodbye' for the summer but I couldn't resist posting this tidbit on Oliver Wahlstrom. On Saturday night, the NHL held their lottery for who picks 1 to 15. They broke it up into 15 to 5 and then 4 to 1. After they finished the ordering of 15 to 5, they put up a list of the top ten prospects and Wahlstrom was right there at #6. If that is the case, then he is definitely one and done. Someone drafted that high up isn't going to make the team holding his NHL rights happy by going to school for four years. Or even two for that matter. I doubt he stays in school beyond his freshman year and that makes me feel a bit better about his not coming to Harvard. We've had enough of the one and ones.

Comment

Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
                  I know that in an earlier post I said 'goodbye' for the summer but I couldn't resist posting this tidbit on Oliver Wahlstrom. On Saturday night, the NHL held their lottery for who picks 1 to 15. They broke it up into 15 to 5 and then 4 to 1. After they finished the ordering of 15 to 5, they put up a list of the top ten prospects and Wahlstrom was right there at #6. If that is the case, then he is definitely one and done. Someone drafted that high up isn't going to make the team holding his NHL rights happy by going to school for four years. Or even two for that matter. I doubt he stays in school beyond his freshman year and that makes me feel a bit better about his not coming to Harvard. We've had enough of the one and ones.
                  The team will be just fine. A few incoming recruits received USHL honors today:

Comment

Amen! I couldn’t agree with you more. I think the coming season will have some nice surprises in store for the team and its fans. Have a great summer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Comment

I know Leblanc was one and done. How many others has Harvard had lately?

Comment

I know that in an earlier post I said 'goodbye' for the summer but I couldn't resist posting this tidbit on Oliver Wahlstrom. On Saturday night, the NHL held their lottery for who picks 1 to 15. They broke it up into 15 to 5 and then 4 to 1. After they finished the ordering of 15 to 5, they put up a list of the top ten prospects and Wahlstrom was right there at #6. If that is the case, then he is definitely one and done.
                          Wahlstrom is now none and done. He flipped to BC. That's one less thing to worry about.
                          Cornell University
                          National Champion 1967, 1970
                          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Here's some good draft analysis on Drury... And 5 minutes of highlights to get an idea of what we can expect...

https://thehockeywriters.com/jack-dr...spect-profile/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=m5O8f7zk8Mw
                            Last edited by Game0n; 05-24-2018, 08:27 AM.

Comment

In case anyone was wondering where Wahlstrom was headed, here's your answer:

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/b...WlK/story.html

A few thoughts on this article. Wahlstrom is extremely confident in his abilities and he wasn't shy about opening the door to leaving after his freshman season. I'm betting he is a goner especially since he will be a high first rounder. If Edmonton or the Rangers take him, he'd be hard pressed to say 'no' to an NHL contract especially if he can play with Connor MacDavid.

Also Wahlstrom was the kid who made the highlight reel goal in the Bruins Mini One on One that got national attention. I didn't realize it until I saw the replay in this article.

Comment

https://www.gocrimson.com/sports/mic...20180615fscme2

Class of 2022 announced. Pretty much as expected except for (1). Wyllum Deveaux. Was hurt for much of last year and figured another year of seasoning might do him well.
                                Last edited by bothman; 06-15-2018, 10:37 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X