Page 33 of 39 FirstFirst ... 2324252627282930313233343536373839 LastLast
Results 641 to 660 of 761

Thread: Boston College Eagles 2017-2108 Season Thread

  1. #641
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    13,997
    Quote Originally Posted by mookie1995 View Post
    Donít you get mad when terriors make cuts??
    No, no, no. It was the hypocrisy of one particular BU poster (doesn't post a lot anymore, prefers twitter). Guy loves criticizing BC for this but makes all sorts of excuses when BU does it).

    I certainly don't love cutting players but it happens at every level of sports.

  2. #642
    defkit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    North Shore, MA
    Posts
    3,037

    Re: Boston College Eagles 2017-2108 Season Thread

    Honest question, and I only post it on this thread versus others due to timing - What are the differences between making cuts and the scholarship fiasco of the Cedorchuk/Milbury transition? Is it that the "cuts" are likely to players that hadn't been promised a scholarship? Has there been a change over the years in how scholarships are handed out in terms of number of years, full vs. partial, etc.? BU has certainly said goodbye to some players who were likely to not get playing time anyway (at least a handful from the last couple years of Parker recruiting bumped by the higher caliber recruits that followed Quinn's arrival). My thought is that most of those players weren't getting scholarships, or at least not full ones, but I really don't know.
    BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

  3. #643
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    13,997

    Re: Boston College Eagles 2017-2108 Season Thread

    Tough to tell without knowing who is getting what. So many ways you can divvy it up, I have a headache just thinking about it.

  4. #644

    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Windham, NH
    Posts
    6,438

    Re: Boston College Eagles 2017-2108 Season Thread



  5. #645
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    301

    Re: Boston College Eagles 2017-2108 Season Thread

    BC still is working out of the recruiting situation caused by so much talent leaving after the 2016 season. With no forwards leaving and four coming in this year, something had to give. BC has struggled to score. Jeff Cox reported earlier that Casey Carreau had been asked to return to Junior Hockey for a year. If you look at BC's stats from last year all you have to do is start at the bottom and work up. That will tell you which players have to be most concerned about being cut. Kevin Lohan is the only defenseman lost, Ben Finkelstein replaces him. With the scholarship crunch, does BC have enough money to bring in Adam Samuelsson this year without cutting a defenseman? The numbers crunch at Forward for the following season is real too. Say you lose Brown/Dudek/Wahlstrom. There are 4 or 5 forwards committed and that's without Carreau returning. This round of cuts won't resolve BC's roster issue.

  6. #646
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    301

    Re: Boston College Eagles 2017-2108 Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by defkit View Post
    Honest question, and I only post it on this thread versus others due to timing - What are the differences between making cuts and the scholarship fiasco of the Cedorchuk/Milbury transition? Is it that the "cuts" are likely to players that hadn't been promised a scholarship? Has there been a change over the years in how scholarships are handed out in terms of number of years, full vs. partial, etc.? BU has certainly said goodbye to some players who were likely to not get playing time anyway (at least a handful from the last couple years of Parker recruiting bumped by the higher caliber recruits that followed Quinn's arrival). My thought is that most of those players weren't getting scholarships, or at least not full ones, but I really don't know.
    The differences? First case was created by one Coach and handed to another Coach to clean up. Second case is created by situations beyond the Coach's control. I don't think what the Players had been offered is part of the issue regarding cuts. Just like at BU, players that are not expected to get much playing time are likely to be the ones affected.

  7. #647
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    13,997

    Re: Boston College Eagles 2017-2108 Season Thread

    They have right number of dmen, so I would be surprised if one gets cut.

  8. #648
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    301

    Re: Boston College Eagles 2017-2108 Season Thread

    OK, guys. Reaction to Greg brown leaving to join David Quinn's NYR staff?

  9. #649
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    333

    Re: Boston College Eagles 2017-2108 Season Thread

    Stunned- Does this leave clear path for Cavanaugh when York retires

  10. #650
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    301

    Re: Boston College Eagles 2017-2108 Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by DLG View Post
    Stunned- Does this leave clear path for Cavanaugh when York retires
    I know a couple of BC peeps that have insisted all along to me that Cavanagh would be the guy to replace York.

  11. #651
    All Hail
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    1,356

    Re: Boston College Eagles 2017-2108 Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by DLG View Post
    Stunned- Does this leave clear path for Cavanaugh when York retires
    ...or Mark Dennehy? (assuming he has an escape clause in his ECHL contract)
    "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

  12. #652
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    13,997
    Quote Originally Posted by PPGuru View Post
    OK, guys. Reaction to Greg brown leaving to join David Quinn's NYR staff?
    **** off Quinn!

  13. #653
    Super Serial
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Back to Comm. Ave
    Posts
    3,049

    Re: Boston College Eagles 2017-2108 Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by DLG View Post
    Stunned- Does this leave clear path for Cavanaugh when York retires
    Don't know, there's some who believe Jerry wants to keep going for at least a few more years and that retirement isn't imminent. That said, I don't see why Brown would turn down an opportunity to be the HC at BC because he was an NHL assistant.
    I was formerly a tasty 7-11 beverage. Now I'm a fan of defunct hockey teams.

  14. #654
    there's a good buck in that racket.
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    40,212

    Re: Boston College Eagles 2017-2108 Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Split-N View Post
    ...or Mark Dennehy? (assuming he has an escape clause in his ECHL contract)
    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

  15. #655
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    South Shore, MA
    Posts
    7,536

    Re: Boston College Eagles 2017-2108 Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by mookie1995 View Post
    Dennehy did a great job at MC, IMO... would love to see what type of talent he would bring in at BC.
    His MC teams were also capable of playing some very good shut-down D. That's been missing at BC for some years now.
    Whoever Jerry chooses... welcome aboard.
    'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

  16. #656
    Holding court
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    HOTel cORAL esSEX
    Posts
    5,785

    Re: Boston College Eagles 2017-2108 Season Thread

    I honestly don't think this move gives us any insight whatsoever into York's successor. I believe York has 3 seasons left in him at least. This very well could be a final resume builder for Brown to come back to BC to replace York. That personally is my feeling on this.

    Bigger question is what to do with the vacant position. Promote McInnis? Fill with someone else? Dennehy seems settled with Wheeling so I'm under the impression he would not become part of this staff right now. Although if he ultimately wants to replace York this would be a perfect chance for him to get on the staff and really bump himself in that future process. That would be a hell of a move but I'm told no. Maybe you promote McInnis and bring in someone young from the golden era that doesn't have a ton of coaching experience as the unpaid volunteer assistant so they can get their feet wet. Gionta seems retired at this point. Bobby Allen is around - great, smart guy. Scott Clemmensen? Ben Eaves always has his name floated around by the message board knuckleheads.

    Should be interesting. My impression is that Brown was the guy to replace York and I read this as a final piece to his resume to come back and take over. Getting tabbed by Quinn is another feather in his cap just in and of itself. Regardless, the staff seemed somewhat stale and I was hoping for a shake up so this is now happening. Could be good. Could be bad. Let's see what happens.

    Trade Giuliano for Ayers?
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010 View Post
    The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

  17. #657
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    13,997

    Re: Boston College Eagles 2017-2108 Season Thread

    Ben Eaves is actually on Blasi's staff at Miami but as "Director of Human Performance and Wellness".

    If York wants someone to work with dmen, Brendan Buckley would be an option. Currently at UConn. The name I've seen that intrigues me is JD Forrest. Experience at the national development team and currently an assistant in the AHL. Don't think he's the lead assistant but I'm not sure what he would be making in his current role vs. coming to BC.

  18. #658
    Holding court
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    HOTel cORAL esSEX
    Posts
    5,785

    Re: Boston College Eagles 2017-2108 Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by J.D. View Post
    Ben Eaves is actually on Blasi's staff at Miami but as "Director of Human Performance and Wellness".

    If York wants someone to work with dmen, Brendan Buckley would be an option. Currently at UConn. The name I've seen that intrigues me is JD Forrest. Experience at the national development team and currently an assistant in the AHL. Don't think he's the lead assistant but I'm not sure what he would be making in his current role vs. coming to BC.
    Buckley was crazy underrated in my opinion back in the day. A ton of talent on D came in with him or after him but... Buckley and Scuderi really locked down their own end and never got the credit the should have (Scuderi did get it in the pros though). Buckley was a character on campus for sure; reminds me a bit of Lyndon Byers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010 View Post
    The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

  19. #659
    defkit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    North Shore, MA
    Posts
    3,037

    Re: Boston College Eagles 2017-2108 Season Thread

    Is Pineault available

    Sorry, when I saw the comment about knuckleheads posting names, I was reminded of how often poor Adam's name was posted on these boards before he even stepped foot on campus
    BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

  20. #660
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by PPGuru View Post
    I know a couple of BC peeps that have insisted all along to me that Cavanagh would be the guy to replace York.
    No way Cav leaves UConn, especially if they continue to progress from a competitive program to a winning program. His only ties to BC are York and Logue, both will be retired playing golf somewhere. BC fans can dream though, as Cav and Logue were the only other constants with the decade long dynasty run. Has BC even sniffed a National Championship without them?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •