X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston College Eagles 2017-2108 Season Thread

Comment

BC still is working out of the recruiting situation caused by so much talent leaving after the 2016 season. With no forwards leaving and four coming in this year, something had to give. BC has struggled to score. Jeff Cox reported earlier that Casey Carreau had been asked to return to Junior Hockey for a year. If you look at BC's stats from last year all you have to do is start at the bottom and work up. That will tell you which players have to be most concerned about being cut. Kevin Lohan is the only defenseman lost, Ben Finkelstein replaces him. With the scholarship crunch, does BC have enough money to bring in Adam Samuelsson this year without cutting a defenseman? The numbers crunch at Forward for the following season is real too. Say you lose Brown/Dudek/Wahlstrom. There are 4 or 5 forwards committed and that's without Carreau returning. This round of cuts won't resolve BC's roster issue.

Comment

Originally posted by defkit View Post
        Honest question, and I only post it on this thread versus others due to timing - What are the differences between making cuts and the scholarship fiasco of the Cedorchuk/Milbury transition? Is it that the "cuts" are likely to players that hadn't been promised a scholarship? Has there been a change over the years in how scholarships are handed out in terms of number of years, full vs. partial, etc.? BU has certainly said goodbye to some players who were likely to not get playing time anyway (at least a handful from the last couple years of Parker recruiting bumped by the higher caliber recruits that followed Quinn's arrival). My thought is that most of those players weren't getting scholarships, or at least not full ones, but I really don't know.
        The differences? First case was created by one Coach and handed to another Coach to clean up. Second case is created by situations beyond the Coach's control. I don't think what the Players had been offered is part of the issue regarding cuts. Just like at BU, players that are not expected to get much playing time are likely to be the ones affected.

Comment

They have right number of dmen, so I would be surprised if one gets cut.

Comment

OK, guys. Reaction to Greg brown leaving to join David Quinn's NYR staff?

Comment

Stunned- Does this leave clear path for Cavanaugh when York retires

Comment

Originally posted by DLG View Post
                I know a couple of BC peeps that have insisted all along to me that Cavanagh would be the guy to replace York.

Comment

...or Mark Dennehy? (assuming he has an escape clause in his ECHL contract)
                  "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

• Originally posted by PPGuru View Post
                    OK, guys. Reaction to Greg brown leaving to join David Quinn's NYR staff?
                    **** off Quinn!

Comment

Don't know, there's some who believe Jerry wants to keep going for at least a few more years and that retirement isn't imminent. That said, I don't see why Brown would turn down an opportunity to be the HC at BC because he was an NHL assistant.
                      ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
                        ...or Mark Dennehy? (assuming he has an escape clause in his ECHL contract)
                        a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                          Dennehy did a great job at MC, IMO... would love to see what type of talent he would bring in at BC.
                          His MC teams were also capable of playing some very good shut-down D. That's been missing at BC for some years now.
                          Whoever Jerry chooses... welcome aboard.
                          'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

I honestly don't think this move gives us any insight whatsoever into York's successor. I believe York has 3 seasons left in him at least. This very well could be a final resume builder for Brown to come back to BC to replace York. That personally is my feeling on this.

Bigger question is what to do with the vacant position. Promote McInnis? Fill with someone else? Dennehy seems settled with Wheeling so I'm under the impression he would not become part of this staff right now. Although if he ultimately wants to replace York this would be a perfect chance for him to get on the staff and really bump himself in that future process. That would be a hell of a move but I'm told no. Maybe you promote McInnis and bring in someone young from the golden era that doesn't have a ton of coaching experience as the unpaid volunteer assistant so they can get their feet wet. Gionta seems retired at this point. Bobby Allen is around - great, smart guy. Scott Clemmensen? Ben Eaves always has his name floated around by the message board knuckleheads.

Should be interesting. My impression is that Brown was the guy to replace York and I read this as a final piece to his resume to come back and take over. Getting tabbed by Quinn is another feather in his cap just in and of itself. Regardless, the staff seemed somewhat stale and I was hoping for a shake up so this is now happening. Could be good. Could be bad. Let's see what happens.

Trade Giuliano for Ayers?
                            Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                            The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Ben Eaves is actually on Blasi's staff at Miami but as "Director of Human Performance and Wellness".

If York wants someone to work with dmen, Brendan Buckley would be an option. Currently at UConn. The name I've seen that intrigues me is JD Forrest. Experience at the national development team and currently an assistant in the AHL. Don't think he's the lead assistant but I'm not sure what he would be making in his current role vs. coming to BC.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                                Ben Eaves is actually on Blasi's staff at Miami but as "Director of Human Performance and Wellness".

If York wants someone to work with dmen, Brendan Buckley would be an option. Currently at UConn. The name I've seen that intrigues me is JD Forrest. Experience at the national development team and currently an assistant in the AHL. Don't think he's the lead assistant but I'm not sure what he would be making in his current role vs. coming to BC.
                                Buckley was crazy underrated in my opinion back in the day. A ton of talent on D came in with him or after him but... Buckley and Scuderi really locked down their own end and never got the credit the should have (Scuderi did get it in the pros though). Buckley was a character on campus for sure; reminds me a bit of Lyndon Byers.
                                Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                                The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Working...
                                X