Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston College Eagles 2017-2108 Season Thread

Originally posted by BCeagle View Post
    I’m convinced they need to win the HE tournament to guarantee an NCAA bid.
    I think that's almost a given at this point.
    The ORIGINAL Cross Check

Frozen Four appearances since 98'
    BC - 12
    BU - 2

BC Hockey 1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012 National Champions

Comment

Well, that one hurts.
      The ORIGINAL Cross Check

BC - 12
      BU - 2

Comment

Same old habit of making bad decisions with puck and costly mistakes and penalties

The only thing left is to win the Beanpot

Again no NCAA bid this year it appears 🦅
        NCAA Champs 2012, 2010, 2008, 2001, 1949, Hockey East Tourney Champs 2012 #11, Beanpot Champs 2016

Boston Red Sox 2004, 2007, 2013 Champs

Comment

This team is just not good. I was only able to watch a few minutes of the UConn game, so this next comment isn't based solely on that game. Luke McInnis is pretty bad. He frustrates the hell out of me with the decisions he makes. It's pretty obvious that this season is lost. So, looking ahead to next season, we should be much improved. I'm not saying it will be anything like the jump from the 2014-15 season to the 2015-16 season, but I think we'll see some similarities. Everyone other than Lohan returns (There is no way Well, Fitzgerald, or anyone else is going to leave. They're simply not good enough). I'm very excited to see how Hutsko improves next season. He has shown many glimpses of the talent he has this season. He's going to be a very good player for us in the coming years. Looking ahead to recruiting, we bring in a very good crop of recruits. McBain is projected as a late first, early second rounder. Adam Samuelsson should be a third or fourth rounder. Giles could go anywhere from early second to fifth. Walsh might be a late round selection, but he has so much talent (injuries have held him back). McLaughlin is having a tremendous season in the USHL. Jacques Bouquot should be a late round pick who will be a solid four year player for us. I'm also very intrigued by Ben Finkelstein, the transfer from St. Lawrence. He put up good offensive numbers for a defenseman, and he is currently on a torrid scoring pace in the USHL. So, looking ahead to next season, here's what our lineup could look like:

Cotton [6] - Mattila - Hutsko {6-7}
          McPhee [5] - Rasanen [6] - Brown [6]
          Tortora - McBain {1-2} - Giles {2-5}
          Grando - Dudek [6] - Walsh {5-7}

Fitzgerald [3] - Kim
          Mattila - Moore
          Samuelsson {2-4} - Finkelstein [7]

Woll [3]
          Edquist
          Milosz

[] = Round Drafted
          {} = Round Projected

I switched some guys from right or left wing to make this work. I just wanted to give an idea of who might be playing. So imo, McInnis and Karow wouldn't have a lot of playing time on defense. On offense, there's going to be a problem. We have a lot of forwards next year, and there will be a few talented guys who won't be able to suit up every night. My projection leaves off McLaughlin, Bouquot, Graham, Carreau, Walker, Merulla, Booth, and Greco. McLaughlin and Bouquot are the ones I'm worried about leaving off. IMO Booth, Greco, Walker and Merulla will never see game action after this season is over. I don't think Graham and Carreau will see much ice time either. Let me know what you guys think. I know that my projections are most likely wrong, so I'm curious what some of you think will transpire over the off-season and next hockey season.

Comment

They played well one game and then next game lay an egg.

Friday their lack of urgency and carelessness led to a UConn SH goal and then another goal by UConn quickly made it 2-0.

They are not fundamentally sound when handling the puck and tend to make bad choices with the puck whether shooting it or passing it.

They can control the puck at times but often end up with no shots on net. When they do shoot it is often deflected or blocked. They need to learn to handle the puck better and make sound decisions that do not lead to turnovers or unforced errors

It was kind of early to pull the goalie but again bad handling of the puck led to a turnover and an ENG for UCONN with still about 2 minutes left.

I think McPhee is ok but this team needs to learn shot selection and make safe plays to avoid costly turnovers. Not only do they do not get pucks on net but often wait to long to shoot and make too many bad passes instead of shooting. McPhee is the only double digit goal scorer on the team.

I like Tortora and Hutsko for next year as far as playing time. I agree Luke McGinnis is not very good and hopefully Samuelsson is an upgrade. Other than his dad played at BC I don’t see much playing time for him next year.

Their breakouts take awfully long and even Fitzgerald is disappointing when he mishandles the puck. When he turns it over, it usually means trouble.

Losing Lohan makes a difference too but they should improve as a team next season with better forwards with more talent.
            NCAA Champs 2012, 2010, 2008, 2001, 1949, Hockey East Tourney Champs 2012 #11, Beanpot Champs 2016

Boston Red Sox 2004, 2007, 2013 Champs

Comment

Originally posted by BCeagle View Post
              I agree Luke McGinnis is not very good and hopefully Samuelsson is an upgrade. Other than his dad played at BC I don’t see much playing time for him next year.
              Do not underestimate the power of nepotism.
              The ORIGINAL Cross Check

BC - 12
              BU - 2

Comment

One play that stood out from McInnis was in the 2nd period. Had a forward wide open near the goal line standing next to Primeau. Instead takes a weak shot from the blue line with nobody in front and it's an easy save for Primeau. Come on dude, get the puck to the forward there and give him a chance to make a play.

Crazy this team is in first place but things are tightening up all of a sudden. No game will be easy, that's for sure. Lowell knows they got their *** kicked last time against BC, doubt that happens again.

As for next year, Tom Fitzgerald was interviewed by NESN during the Beanpot and he said Casey would need to make a decision at the end of the year as to what's best for his development. It sounded a little ominous to be honest with you. But, if everyone does return it should be a team capable of returning to NCAA tournament.

Too much can change in regard to making line projections. I really have no idea how to forecast that. Finkelstein isn't eligible until 2nd semester, right? That's an interesting dynamic when you've been skating a group of dmen and and then all of a sudden someone with his talent enters the equation.

The one guy I might disagree with you on is Greco. He's played in every game this year. While not ultra talented, he's done a nice job in his role.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                  As for next year, Tom Fitzgerald was interviewed by NESN during the Beanpot and he said Casey would need to make a decision at the end of the year as to what's best for his development. It sounded a little ominous to be honest with you. But, if everyone does return it should be a team capable of returning to NCAA tournament.
                  Casey scares me at times. He can rush and and shoot the puck, but sometimes he makes huge defensive gaffes, especially in his own zone.
                  "No matter where you go, there you are"

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                    Addition by subtraction.
                    'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

Where has this Joe Woll been all year

Comment

• Originally posted by FiveHole12 View Post
                        Addition by subtraction.
                        Strong words there

Comment

There are guys on this team that are ALL OVER the ice... constantly out of position. Fitz, Kim, McInnis get caught down at the circles or behind the net on a regular basis. It is rare that when they are on the ice that a forward doesn't have to cover their position. It's one thing to make a rush up ice out of the d-zone to try and create an odd man situation, and quite another to not then get back into position, as opposed to planting your azz down low and playing the forward position. That's what kills this team... the forwards can't play their position because of D man that don't play theirs. Good teams eat this chit up like nobody's business.
                          Bring in stay at home d-men and that will be a HUGE improvement for the program going forward. JMO.

That being said... Lowells ineptness in the D-zone was worse than ours last night. Made for a happy ending!

Joe Woll made 5 or 6 SPECTACULAR saves last night... there were three bang, bang, bang shots in row in one flurry that he had no business saving. WOW.
                          Cotton has picked up his game since the Christmas break. He's working hard and it's paying off.
                          Cotton to Hutsko were identical plays for the game tying and winning goals. Hutsko wide open in the slot, Cotton puts it on the tape from behind the goal line. Sweet.
                          'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

a happy ending from Lowell is kinda iffy
                            a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Cotton has picked up his game...i see what you did there

Connor Moore was a turnover machine last night

Comment

Woll was immense last night. Nice to see Cotton and Hutsko capitalize on the two UML turnovers, but both of those turnovers were EGREGIOUS. We'd have all had a stroke if BC made those.

Also, I thought Kim had his worst game in a BC uniform last night. Several terrible turnovers and all around poor decision making.

All said though, glad to have the 2 points.
                                The ORIGINAL Cross Check

BC - 12
                                BU - 2

Comment

Working...
                                X