Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston College Eagles 2017-2108 Season Thread

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
    BTW does this weekend feel like one big trap or what?
    No. I fail to see how BU could ever be a trap for BC. They'll be up to play their rivals as BU doubtless will be as well.
    The ORIGINAL Cross Check

Frozen Four appearances since 98'
    BC - 12
    BU - 2

BC Hockey 1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012 National Champions

Comment

• Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
      BTW does this weekend feel like one big trap or what?
      Jrrrrry could dress the girls jv team and bring home 3pts
      a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by PPGuru View Post
        Do you think it's possible that BC defers a couple of kids next season? I'd read that Walsh and McLaughlin have been injured. Also, Heisenberg has Bouquot as a '19 or '20 arrival. Not losing any forwards and having 6 forwards (McBain, Martan, Giles, Graham, Walsh, McLaughlin) scheduled to come in next year, something has to give. Though I hate to see kids pushed out early, the business side of it does force things sometimes.
        Tough to say without knowing scholarship situation but I would think guys like Greco and Booth are walk-ons. There will almost certainly be some changes in regard to who shows up based on what was expected. No idea how that will shake out. If they're ok having a bigger roster with more walk-ons than usual, guess that doesn't really matter. But in terms of scholarship players, seems like there is always at least one change (Vatrano, Milano, Tolvanen, etc).

Originally posted by Cross Check View Post
        They play hard no doubt. And they've been more successful since the schedule became more reasonable. But they've dug a big hole for themselves with their poor non-league record, which will just kill them in the Pairwise. However, none of that changes the fact that there is not one forward on this team that makes the other team take notice of them and plan for them. Tolvanen would have been that guy, but fate intervened. If you were to go back from the beginning of York's tenure at BC and make a list of forwards they've had who are better than any forward on this year's team, how long would that list be?

The comeback after the slow start has been nice to see, but this team's ceiling is limited. Maybe I'm just spoiled after the past two decades, but a hardworking team that may or may not eke out a tournament berth is not what I consider a successful season. BC has become accustomed to shooting higher than that.
        I think you have to look at the season they had last year and what they were expected to do this year. Going back a couple years, they were due for a tough stretch when they lost everyone at once. It certainly looks to me like they have recovered from that pretty well. Maybe they are on the bubble this year like last year but next year they should definitely have an NCAA worthy team. And at that point you will have some balance across 4 classes.

Comment

Originally posted by Cross Check View Post
          To truly compete at the highest level, you need both the quality four-year program guys and at least a couple of the high-end talents that you have no chance at keeping for four years. So yeah, I agree we need not the mercenaries like Milano and Bracco, who will screw you. But you need a couple of Kreiders to go along with the Mullanes, Arnolds, Gibbons, and Rooneys of this world. That's how you win championships.
          That's the thing though, BC kept getting 3 years out of those guys like Kreider, Hayes, Atkinson, Gaudreau. It's really a huge key to what they did for so long.
          Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
          The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

I tried to post a response yesterday, PPGuru, but fsr it said a moderator needed to approve the comment. No idea why. Anyways... Yeah, I think they could defer a couple of recruits, but they're still going to have a glut of forwards in the '19-'20 season. Dudek and Brown are the only forwards who will graduate after the '18-'19 season, and no other players should leave early for the pros (maybe McBain, but I think he'll come back for a second season). The staff will bring in Moynihan, Newhook, and Weight in '19-'20. And based on the way Boldy is playing right now, I suspect he'll arrive in '19-'20 as opposed to '20-'21. So, even if we delay a couple of recruits for a year, we're still going to have a lot of forwards. Honestly, though, there will likely be a couple of players who will transfer out of BC. Greco, Walker, and Booth will likely never see another minute of ice time after this season is over. Merulla already isn't playing this year. Those four guys strike me as potential transfers. Even if all four leave, we're still going to have 17 forwards for the '18-'19 season and 18 forwards for the '19-'20 season. (As an aside, I already know that Cassetti is no longer committed.) Another interesting note is that if Hutsko and Tortora are drafted in the 2018 NHL draft as over-agers, BC could potentially have 11 drafted forwards on their team next year. And if McBain sticks around for a second season in '19-'20, it's possible BC could have 12 drafted forwards. Pretty sure that's never happened in college hockey. Obviously, that's contingent upon Tortora and Hutsko being drafted as over-agers and everyone else being drafted according to their current projections.

Comment

That's the thing though, BC kept getting 3 years out of those guys like Kreider, Hayes, Atkinson, Gaudreau. It's really a huge key to what they did for so long.
              True. But let's not forget that a key part of the 2001 breakthrough was a one and done (Kobasew). Your point stands though. They did do a remarkably good job of keeping guys three years, where other teams would have lost them after one or two. But my point stands as well that you need some top tier talent to win it all.
              The ORIGINAL Cross Check

Frozen Four appearances since 98'
              BC - 12
              BU - 2

BC Hockey 1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by Harry Cleverly View Post
                Neither BU or BC are ranked in the USA Today/USA Hockey Magazine poll. (BC is #15 in the USCHO poll).

When was the last time that they met, and neither was ranked in a particular poll?
                Good question for Sean Pickett

Comment

excellent point

Comment

Also I believe neither game is on TV- When did that last happen
                    Hockey east really dropped the ball on TV exposure this year
                    The only games on TV are those that some teams like Merrimack bought the air time

Comment

Peter Reynolds just committed to BC. He's an '03 forward from New Brunswick, Canada, who's currently playing for Shattuck-St Mary's. This is our first '03-born recruit. I feel old

Comment

All these players sound promising and hopefully we don't lose any of them for whatever reasons.

The recent losses and drain of talent have been hard. No disrespect to the present players.

It is not a sure thing until they set foot on the ice and actually play.

Losing Tolvanen really hurt this year but it also means someone else has a chance to step in next year.

They play hard and for now on top of Hockey East. Looking forward to the war this weekend.
                        NCAA Champs 2012, 2010, 2008, 2001, 1949, Hockey East Tourney Champs 2012 #11, Beanpot Champs 2016

Boston Red Sox 2004, 2007, 2013 Champs

Comment

Originally posted by DLG View Post
                          Also I believe neither game is on TV- When did that last happen
                          Hockey east really dropped the ball on TV exposure this year
                          The only games on TV are those that some teams like Merrimack bought the air time
                          Friday's game can be streamed on ESPN3. Chromecast to tv, voila.
                          A bad cause requires many words.

Comment

Originally posted by SonofSouthie View Post
                            Friday's game can be streamed on ESPN3. Chromecast to tv, voila.
                            Was just coming here to check about this. I am out of town this weekend and was hoping to catch both games online. When games are on ESPN3 you can watch via the WatchESPN app, correct?

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                              Was just coming here to check about this. I am out of town this weekend and was hoping to catch both games online. When games are on ESPN3 you can watch via the WatchESPN app, correct?
                              Yes'm.
                              A bad cause requires many words.

Comment

I get it now. National Championship or bust.
                                National Championships cannot be accomplished without high end talent.
                                BC has no high end talent = no shot at success.
                                BU does have high end talent... lots of it... represented in high end draft picks.
                                This weekend we all have the opportunity to see the only team in Hockey East with talent enough to have a shot at the 2018 National Championship.
                                Count our blessings folks for what we are about to see. Great hockey like that used to be played at the Heights. Why can't we have a team like that?

David vs Goliath.
                                Go Eagles!
                                'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

Working...
                                X