Boston College Eagles 2017-2108 Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boston College Eagles 2017-2108 Season Thread

Just 2 weeks away from the season opener vs QU. Here's what we've got...

6 Frosh, 13 Soph, 5 Jr, 0 Sr, 1 Graduate transfer from UMichigan.

The blue chippers have all moved on to professional status, leaving us with a team full of very good hockey players that go out there every shift and work their butts off. There's no one better at getting more from the players he puts out on the ice than Jerry York, and this is the type of hard working team he can coach up and get them believing in themselves from the get go. I'm really looking forward to this season... a team that plays with a chip on its shoulder and with something to prove.

Go Eagles!
    'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Re: Boston College Eagles 2017-2108 Season Thread

I'm looking forward to seeing them twice at PC in October!
    Originally posted by mookie1995
    bc is superior to bu in nearly everything. while it is sad that it has come to it, it's the truth. if bu doesn't like it, improve.
    Rep from Hokydad -"and your an old never been piece of ****"

Originally Posted by Dirty
    Why is anyone surprised that Old Pio is acting like a grumpy old f^ck? He is a grumpy old f^ck.

Comment

Anyone going to Vegas in Jan?
      A bad cause requires many words.

Comment

Originally posted by SonofSouthie View Post
        hmmm, had not thought of that, would be an easy trip from here though Vegas is not my thing but Eagle Hockey certainly is............I'm looking forward to the season too and using up some of FiveHole12's tickets when i am back east.

Comment

Originally posted by sterlippo1 View Post
          hmmm, had not thought of that, would be an easy trip from here though Vegas is not my thing but Eagle Hockey certainly is............I'm looking forward to the season too and using up some of FiveHole12's tickets when i am back east.
          Young girls who perform then leave like good girls should ain't your thing??

a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by SonofSouthie View Post
            Yup. Never been before.

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHole12 View Post
              Just 2 weeks away from the season opener vs QU. Here's what we've got...

6 Frosh, 13 Soph, 5 Jr, 0 Sr, 1 Graduate transfer from UMichigan.

The blue chippers have all moved on to professional status, leaving us with a team full of very good hockey players that go out there every shift and work their butts off. There's no one better at getting more from the players he puts out on the ice than Jerry York, and this is the type of hard working team he can coach up and get them believing in themselves from the get go. I'm really looking forward to this season... a team that plays with a chip on its shoulder and with something to prove.

Go Eagles!
              We have a grad student coming in from Michigan on D with another big frosh defenseman who should help with size and added experience to steady the blueline

What's your take on the forwards coming in ?

We also have another recruit from Finland (Rasanen) along with the other forwards.

Tolvanen is a big loss but let's move on

Any thoughts on the new forwards to provide more offense ? Else BC could go into a defensive style team if we continue to struggle to create offense again
              NCAA Champs 2012, 2010, 2008, 2001, 1949, Hockey East Tourney Champs 2012 #11, Beanpot Champs 2016

Boston Red Sox 2004, 2007, 2013 Champs

Comment

Originally posted by BCeagle View Post
                We have a grad student coming in from Michigan on D with another big frosh defenseman who should help with size and added experience to steady the blueline

What's your take on the forwards coming in ?

We also have another recruit from Finland (Rasanen) along with the other forwards.

Tolvanen is a big loss but let's move on

Any thoughts on the new forwards to provide more offense ? Else BC could go into a defensive style team if we continue to struggle to create offense again
                I have no idea about the frosh coming in... never seen them play. I've read some stuff on them but I go by what my eyes see. In Jerry and staff I trust.

Re: Kevin Lohan, D, grad student transfer from Michigan: Never seen him as well, but he was an assistant captain at Michigan last year and that means a lot IMO. This team has no seniors and the leadership he may bring is always welcome.

I agree we need someone to step it up in the goal scoring department. Maybe Brownie, Dudek, Cotton or Matilla. One thing will be certain IMO... his team will go out there and work their butts off every shift or they'll be racking up L's like it's nobody's business. I don't see that happening with a York coached team and I really think this type of team is right in his wheelhouse to coach up. One or two guys step it up in goal scoring and we could be watching something special this season. But you know me.... I'm forever the optimist. You reap what you sow.
                'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

I appreciate the optimism FiveHole, but I just don't see it. There's no substitute for talent. As great a coach as Jerry is and doubtless as hard as these kids will work, there is just a glaring lack of high end offensive talent. Combined with no senior leadership (or seniors at all), I do not think this bodes well for them. Losing Tolvanen was simply a devastating blow to this team and program. He was going to be exactly the shot of offensive adrenaline they needed. Along with having a great chance at missing the tournament in back to back years since the very beginning of Jerry's tenure, this team is also likely to be on the greatest sins of all...boring. I hope Woll is ready to steal a bunch of 2-1 and 3-2 games because he's going to have to if they have any chance of consistent success this year. Thankfully he IS the real deal.

We've been amazingly spoiled as BC fans in the York era and I fear that at this point it is clear the salad days are over. There will be good seasons and even some great seasons, but the days of BC clearly being the nation's premier program for a period of 10 or 15 years is over.
                  The ORIGINAL Cross Check

Frozen Four appearances since 98'
                  BC - 12
                  BU - 2

BC Hockey 1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012 National Champions

Comment

After losing 6 key players 2 seasons ago (total 174 points), our top 5 scorers last season are all gone (62 G, 101 A, 163 pts.) Last season's top point scorers were 2 guys that stepped it up... Austin Cangelosi and Mattie Gaudreau (35 pts each... who'd a thunk it?). That team was first place HE.

The next 6 top scorers from last season are returning this season (50 G, 83 A, 133 Pts). Two of them were frosh, 4 were soph. That freshman class last season was pretty special IMO. A lot of very good hockey players in that group, unheralded, but very good hockey players. And Brownie, Dudek, C. Fitz and Kim have all shown improvement from year to year. I'm not writing this team off... hard work pays dividends and I think there is a very good nucleus to work with.

Boring??? My definition of boring is watching blue chippers standing around picking their butts rather than working them off. We have seen plenty of that the past few years... guys not playing anywhere near to their potential... that bores and frustrates me. A team like last season? That's great hockey... guys not expected to go anywhere and they scratch and claw their way to a 1st place finish. That was a very exciting and successful season IMO, but that may just be me.

We've got a team full of quality kids with very good hockey skills, their backs to the wall, expected to go no where, and Jerry York coaching them. I'm looking forward to see what happens, and win, lose or draw... the least of my worries is that it could be boring.

Go Eagles!

Comment

FiveHole, we'll just have to agree to disagree.

But we do agree on one thing...Go Eagles!
                      The ORIGINAL Cross Check

Frozen Four appearances since 98'
                      BC - 12
                      BU - 2

BC Hockey 1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012 National Champions

Comment

FiveHole some of the freshmen have to contribute right away to help the cause this year.

I'm hopeful but let's see what happens.

We have good goalies and more help on defense but the offense has to improve to stay in the top tier of HE.

I'm not going to Warrior to watch them vs New Brunswick but looking forward to game #1 at Conte.
                        NCAA Champs 2012, 2010, 2008, 2001, 1949, Hockey East Tourney Champs 2012 #11, Beanpot Champs 2016

Boston Red Sox 2004, 2007, 2013 Champs

Comment

Originally posted by BCeagle View Post
                          FiveHole some of the freshmen have to contribute right away to help the cause this year.
                          I agree. Doesn't matter where the scoring comes from, as long as it comes.

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHole12 View Post
                            , as long as it comes.
                            that's what she said
                            a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Wow, one thread to cover 90+ years????

Comment

Working...
                              X