Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 122

Thread: LSSU Lakers Hockey: 2017-18

  1. #81
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,783

    Re: LSSU Lakers Hockey: 2017-18

    I do not think I have ever seen the Laker thread this dead .

  2. #82
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Southwest MI
    Posts
    5,665

    Re: LSSU Lakers Hockey: 2017-18

    Quote Originally Posted by sm2pk View Post
    I do not think I have ever seen the Laker thread this dead .
    I think the negative crap from the Roquettes the past few years probably drove some of the regular members (posters) away. They maybe still read the thread occasionally but just don't bother to post much anymore. Posting activity has been dropping off the past couple of seasons. On the other hand, there often are a number of "guest" users viewing the thread; not all of them may be Laker fans but some of them likely are. Perhaps some of them will start posting occasionally.

  3. #83
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Sault Ste. Siberia, MI
    Posts
    227

    Re: LSSU Lakers Hockey: 2017-18

    Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    I think the negative crap from the Roquettes the past few years probably drove some of the regular members (posters) away. They maybe still read the thread occasionally but just don't bother to post much anymore. Posting activity has been dropping off the past couple of seasons. On the other hand, there often are a number of "guest" users viewing the thread; not all of them may be Laker fans but some of them likely are. Perhaps some of them will start posting occasionally.
    I'm usually one of those guests. My tendency is to only log in when I'm posting.

    As for being dead, there hasn't been much to be excited over this year. At least the trolls have been silent lately.

    This weekend feels very much like a must-win situation. The teams have a combined one win between them, so they'll be desperate too. Sorry to say, but if last Saturday did not wake the team up and we take less than 3 points this weekend, I get the feeling that we'll be in for a very long year.
    Go Lakers!

    Check out the Laker Hockey Blog, it's good for you! http://lakerhockeyblog.com

  4. #84
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Southwest MI
    Posts
    5,665

    Re: LSSU Lakers Hockey: 2017-18

    Quote Originally Posted by jsmithe View Post
    I'm usually one of those guests. My tendency is to only log in when I'm posting.

    As for being dead, there hasn't been much to be excited over this year. At least the trolls have been silent lately.

    This weekend feels very much like a must-win situation. The teams have a combined one win between them, so they'll be desperate too. Sorry to say, but if last Saturday did not wake the team up and we take less than 3 points this weekend, I get the feeling that we'll be in for a very long year.
    It won't help that we'll be without some key injured players. From the the Laker Hockey Talk show, it sounds like Saccoman and Kaeble will still be out, as well as an un-named forward who may not be able to play. Despite that, I expect them to play much better this weekend and hopefully get a sweep.

  5. #85
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    138

    Re: LSSU Lakers Hockey: 2017-18

    Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    It won't help that we'll be without some key injured players. From the the Laker Hockey Talk show, it sounds like Saccoman and Kaeble will still be out, as well as an un-named forward who may not be able to play. Despite that, I expect them to play much better this weekend and hopefully get a sweep.
    From what I've heard, those two may be out for a while.

    The team as a whole has to get pucks on net, we can't have just a single shot on net in a period for the third week in a row. This weekend will either be really exciting, since neither team has a defensive corp (as seen the last few weekends from Lake State), or a very slow, grinding sort of game since neither team will get a puck on net.

    I may have to sneak a flask into the game Saturday night.
    LSSU Alumni & Fan.

    Still a work in progress, but please join us at the (unofficial) Laker Hockey Blog

  6. #86
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,783

    Re: LSSU Lakers Hockey: 2017-18

    They need to reset the clock with this series or going to be a very long season .

  7. #87
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Southwest MI
    Posts
    5,665

    Re: LSSU Lakers Hockey: 2017-18

    I just saw that Cooper Lukenda has decided to play junior hockey for Kemptville of the CCHL. He skipped the junior hockey route when coming to the Lakers. Playing for Kemptville will probably get him ice time which is no doubt what he wants.

  8. #88
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,783

    Re: LSSU Lakers Hockey: 2017-18

    Good win and a hard win. Seems Mitens made huge saves when he had to .

  9. #89
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,865
    Quote Originally Posted by sm2pk View Post
    Good win and a hard win. Seems Mitens made huge saves when he had to .
    Mitens absolutely robbed a UAA player of a goal in the overtime. Nice to see Humitz get the game winner. He has been off to a solid start.

  10. #90
    Suze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Posts
    21,306

    Re: LSSU Lakers Hockey: 2017-18

    Quote Originally Posted by LSSULaker889294 View Post
    Mitens absolutely robbed a UAA player of a goal in the overtime. Nice to see Humitz get the game winner. He has been off to a solid start.
    I was watching on my laptop, but it looked like UAA had two or three great chances in OT? No?

    Really surprised by the low attendance, 1200? Is this typical, or an off night? College hockey overall seems to be struggling with the attendance, it seems. Even some college football games I have watched recently (Yale) have had a ton of empty seats.
    Originally Posted by aparch
    I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

    From ADN:

    "According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

    UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

  11. #91
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,783

    Re: LSSU Lakers Hockey: 2017-18

    This aint good. This has the makings of a long losing season . Makes you wonder where the talent went from last year to this year .

  12. #92
    Suze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Posts
    21,306

    Re: LSSU Lakers Hockey: 2017-18

    Quote Originally Posted by sm2pk View Post
    This aint good. This has the makings of a long losing season . Makes you wonder where the talent went from last year to this year .
    You gotta feel good about your freshman goalie ... your announcer was all about praising Mantha, but Mitens made some amazing saves on numerous point blank shots by the Seawolves.
    Originally Posted by aparch
    I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

    From ADN:

    "According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

    UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

  13. #93
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Southwest MI
    Posts
    5,665

    Re: LSSU Lakers Hockey: 2017-18

    Quote Originally Posted by sm2pk View Post
    This aint good. This has the makings of a long losing season . Makes you wonder where the talent went from last year to this year .
    Yeah, a very disappointing loss. Even without our injured players, I expected the Lakers to play 2 strong games and get a sweep.

    I think I have come to realize that the early loss of 4 players (Hults, Morgan, Headrick, Bindulis) from last season's team has hurt far more than expected. The talent level of the team just isn't deep enough yet to be able to overcome losing those guys early. Offensively we lost 56 points between Hults and Morgan at the forward position. We brought in 3 freshmen as replacements. Erikkson seems like he could become a good player but hasn't put up any points yet and is out injured. Gamelin just saw his first action this weekend and didn't get on the scoreboard. Miura isn't eligible yet (maybe soon?) but he is also injured. So thus far we don't have any scoring from our freshmen who are replacements for Hults and Morgan. I think almost everyone expected Hults to turn pro early but it would have been nice if he stayed one more season. I think the loss of Morgan (transferred to UM) was a huge loss. He was our best freshman last season. Losing Bindulis early to the pros and Headrick to the OHL also hurt at D. Behind Saccoman, they were our leading point getters at D even though neither played the full season. That forced us to bring in more freshman D this season and kept us younger and less experienced at that position than desirable. It should help when Ruggiero is eligible after this semester. He is supposed to be a very good skater as a Dman.

    Giving up early and late goals in a period continues to be a big bugaboo and killed us again tonight. Anchorage scored early goals in both the 1st and 3rd periods. Mantha is an excellent goalie and when Anchorage gets a lead of a couple of goals like that, Mantha can be especially hard to beat. I think we needed to score fairly early tonight to give ourselves some momentum and a better chance of winning.

    It could turn out to be a long season as you say. We really miss having Saccoman and Kaelble in the lineup at D. I don't know how long they will be out but the longer it is the tougher it will be on the Lakers. Somehow we have to hope that our forwards can pick up their play, especially scoring but D play as well. At this point, it doesn't look like we can expect to get much scoring out of our few freshman forwards this season so our other guys need to pick it up. When Ruggiero is eligible to play it could give us a big boost at D. We're pretty thin at goalie now so we have to hope that Kossoff and Mitens both stay healthy. If Bengert becomes eligible at some point this season, that will help our goalie depth.

  14. #94
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,783

    Re: LSSU Lakers Hockey: 2017-18

    After twenty plus years of going nowhere , the excuses have gotten old and repetitive . Good talent wins , bad talent loses. Good coaching wins, bad coaching loses. Winning brings fans in, losing keeps fans home . It is not rocket science .
    Last edited by sm2pk; 11-05-2017 at 05:05 AM.

  15. #95
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Sault Ste. Marie MI
    Posts
    65

    Re: LSSU Lakers Hockey: 2017-18

    This weekend's series gave me a feeling that took a while to figure out. It felt like the last season of Roque. As I looked around the empty arena, I seriously wondered why we have season tickets.

  16. #96
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    138

    Re: LSSU Lakers Hockey: 2017-18

    Quote Originally Posted by Suze View Post
    I was watching on my laptop, but it looked like UAA had two or three great chances in OT? No?

    Really surprised by the low attendance, 1200? Is this typical, or an off night? College hockey overall seems to be struggling with the attendance, it seems. Even some college football games I have watched recently (Yale) have had a ton of empty seats.
    Re: Attendance: Attendance since Whitten has taken over has been up, but until Friday, we've only won a single game. I think a lot of people are less willing to come to the building just to watch a team lose.

    Normally I'd say that it could've been because the Eagles (Junior A) team were playing, but they were on a road trip, and high school hockey hasn't started yet.
    LSSU Alumni & Fan.

    Still a work in progress, but please join us at the (unofficial) Laker Hockey Blog

  17. #97
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    138

    Re: LSSU Lakers Hockey: 2017-18

    Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    ...I think I have come to realize that the early loss of 4 players (Hults, Morgan, Headrick, Bindulis)...
    I still don't think losing Headrick was a huge loss, personally. Bindulis is an odd case. He was really good, but he was also out for most of the year, but when he was healthy he was noticeable, for the right reasons, on the ice.

    I didn't think that losing Hults and Morgan were going to be that big of a deal, but I think those two losses are the biggest, especially Morgan: Not only did he have good hands, but he was quick.

    Without Saccooman and Kaelble in the lineup, it's really highlighting McArdle...but not in the way he wants. Last season he looked alright, but this season it's almost as if he looks lost, making some really bad plays. Once the team gets healthy, I wouldn't be surprised if he started becoming a healthy scratch.

    Sounds like Kaelble is in rough shape: In addition to an injury, I guess he has Mono and was in the hospital over the weekend, so here's hoping for a quick recovery from it.
    LSSU Alumni & Fan.

    Still a work in progress, but please join us at the (unofficial) Laker Hockey Blog

  18. #98
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Sault Ste. Siberia, MI
    Posts
    227

    Re: LSSU Lakers Hockey: 2017-18

    Quote Originally Posted by Suze View Post
    I was watching on my laptop, but it looked like UAA had two or three great chances in OT? No?

    Really surprised by the low attendance, 1200? Is this typical, or an off night? College hockey overall seems to be struggling with the attendance, it seems. Even some college football games I have watched recently (Yale) have had a ton of empty seats.
    I don't know how much I would trust that attendance number. LSSU hasn't had an SID in place since September-ish. Their new one is supposed to start this week.
    Go Lakers!

    Check out the Laker Hockey Blog, it's good for you! http://lakerhockeyblog.com

  19. #99
    who the hello?
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Alta, Ut.
    Posts
    1,081
    Quote Originally Posted by sm2pk View Post
    I do not think I have ever seen the Laker thread this dead .
    Internet message forums in general are on the decline. You should check out the D3 forum on this website. I would say it sees 20-25% of the traffic and use that it did 5 years ago.

  20. #100
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Southwest MI
    Posts
    5,665

    Re: LSSU Lakers Hockey: 2017-18

    Quote Originally Posted by Deman View Post
    I still don't think losing Headrick was a huge loss, personally. Bindulis is an odd case. He was really good, but he was also out for most of the year, but when he was healthy he was noticeable, for the right reasons, on the ice.

    I didn't think that losing Hults and Morgan were going to be that big of a deal, but I think those two losses are the biggest, especially Morgan: Not only did he have good hands, but he was quick.

    Without Saccooman and Kaelble in the lineup, it's really highlighting McArdle...but not in the way he wants. Last season he looked alright, but this season it's almost as if he looks lost, making some really bad plays. Once the team gets healthy, I wouldn't be surprised if he started becoming a healthy scratch.

    Sounds like Kaelble is in rough shape: In addition to an injury, I guess he has Mono and was in the hospital over the weekend, so here's hoping for a quick recovery from it.
    Headrick was young and had talent even though his game was still rough around the edges. He was a more offensive minded D which helped the Lakers who have been lacking in that respect. It's no secret Erie of the OHL had been after him even before he became a Laker. The timing (mid-season) of his leaving hurt. It left us a bit short on D for the remainder of last season. And if he had decided to leave earlier, like after his freshman season, it's pretty likely that Mitch Hults' brother Cole would have stuck with his commitment to the Lakers and been with them last season. He really upped his game last season in the USHL before going to Penn State this season.

    If McArdle is struggling, he could get bumped out by Ruggiero once the first semester is over. We'll also have a couple of new D next season who hopefully kick up our skating at that position a notch. Probably Mannara or Pilawski or both will be here then. Or if they find another good D for next season, one of those 2 may be a couple of seasons away.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •