LSSU Lakers Hockey: 2017-18

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: LSSU Lakers Hockey: 2017-18

Huge non-conference weekend for the WCHA. I'd love to see Tech win the IceBreaker, Ferris take down Western, maybe another upset or two. It could definitely help in getting another conference team in the NCAA tourney.

Comment

Good win to start the season. It sounded like Kossoff played well in net with maybe the exception of the 2nd NMU goal. They need to take fewer undisciplined penalties though. They didn't take a lot of penalties last night but it would be nice if they had even fewer. Very nice to see the PP clicking as well as it did last night.

I wonder who will start in net tonight. Arguably Kossoff played well enough last night to get another start tonight, but it's an early season non-conference game and that's usually when you want to give your new goalie(s) a chance to see what they can do.

Comment

Best way to start a season is with a win .

Comment

Looking back at the box scores, the one thing that stands out to me is what time NMU scored their goals. Out of the six goals (I'm disregarding the empty-netter for this), four goals came in the last four minutes of a period, and three (or one half) were scored in the last two minutes.
          Go Lakers!

Check out the Laker Hockey Blog, it's good for you! http://lakerhockeyblog.com

Comment

Originally posted by jsmithe View Post
            Looking back at the box scores, the one thing that stands out to me is what time NMU scored their goals. Out of the six goals (I'm disregarding the empty-netter for this), four goals came in the last four minutes of a period, and three (or one half) were scored in the last two minutes.
            That seemed to be a problem area at times last season also.

I didn't catch much of the broadcast last night, mostly some of the 3rd period, but aside from the empty netter, it sounded like 2 of the 3 Northern goals were on the soft side. Kossoff evidently misplayed a puck coming off the boards in the 1st period leading to the 1st Cats goal and then the 3rd goal with around a minute or so left snuck through him even though he got most of it. Kind of wonder if we'll see Mitens or one of the other guys in at least one game next weekend. It sounds like Kossoff is making a lot of good saves but has let in soft goals in each of the first 2 games.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
              That seemed to be a problem area at times last season also.

I didn't catch much of the broadcast last night, mostly some of the 3rd period, but aside from the empty netter, it sounded like 2 of the 3 Northern goals were on the soft side. Kossoff evidently misplayed a puck coming off the boards in the 1st period leading to the 1st Cats goal and then the 3rd goal with around a minute or so left snuck through him even though he got most of it. Kind of wonder if we'll see Mitens or one of the other guys in at least one game next weekend. It sounds like Kossoff is making a lot of good saves but has let in soft goals in each of the first 2 games.
              Anderson got beat on a rush for the Northern 2nd goal. The third goal Kossoff should have stopped.

Comment

Anyone else having problems picking up the stream of the Laker Hockey Show this evening? Guess I'll have to wait for the podcast to be up.

Comment

Going back to last season and this one so far, I am not sure if Kossoff is the answer. I know it is early but last year was not a good year for him and just think they need to try a different goalie tonight .

Comment

Originally posted by sm2pk View Post
                    Going back to last season and this one so far, I am not sure if Kossoff is the answer. I know it is early but last year was not a good year for him and just think they need to try a different goalie tonight .
                    I think we will see a change tonight in net.

Comment

Originally posted by Laker Dude View Post
                      I think we will see a change tonight in net.
                      I'd be surprised if we don't. I thought Kossoff made some really good saves last night but then there were a couple of goals that he'd like to have back.

Edit: Mitens in net tonight.
                      Last edited by Bill; 10-14-2017, 05:06 PM.

Comment

You were so right about goaltending ... what a fine effort by Mitens!

Comment

I think we may have found our goalie .

Comment

Originally posted by sm2pk View Post
                            I think we may have found our goalie .
                            I though Mitens played terrific last night. He didn't have a chance on the 1st Tech goal; L'Esperance rifled it in point blank from in front of the net. I couldn't tell how the 2nd Tech goal went in from where I was at. Saccoman was trying to tie up Gillies in front of the net, but I assume Gilies somehow batted the loose puck by Mitens. I think Mittens will definitely get a start next weekend at Denver, maybe even both games. But it is non-conference so Kossoff might get get a start in one of the games. Too bad the PP was unproductive last night. The Lakers could have won the game with a PP goal. They have streaks where it seems like they try to get too cute and look for the perfect play and no one winds up wanting to shoot the puck. They must had had around 2 minutes of 5 on 3 last night between the two occasions and I think they only had 1 or maybe 2 shots on net during those times.

Comment

J.T. Henke has been named WCHA Offensive Player of the Week: http://lssulakers.com/sports/m-hocke...20171016psi52r
                              Mareks Mitens was also nominated for Rookie of the Week: http://lakerhockeyblog.com/2017/10/1...eek-accolades/
                              Go Lakers!

Check out the Laker Hockey Blog, it's good for you! http://lakerhockeyblog.com

Comment

We have a new recruit, Louis Boudon from the Northeast Generals of the NAHL. More international flavor for the team.

http://generals.nahlleague.hockeytec...superior-state
                                Last edited by Bill; 10-17-2017, 05:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X