LSSU Lakers Hockey: 2017-18

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Deman View Post
    Considering there are guys that come in as 21 year old freshman, it's not surprising that there may be a one or two in the bunch. And that's their decision, they're adults.

And I did say rumors. I do not know first hand, since I'm not affiliated with the team, and while you generally wouldn't want to deal with that on your team, as long as they go out onto the ice and perform, then that's what matters in the here and now, though I would hope the team would do whatever it needed to do to get the guy help instead of wasting his future potential.
    That’s fair and thanks for expanding on that.

There are several rumors about Whitten’s coaching style, mind games and treatment of his players, that are certainly out there as well, but no first hand account as I, like yourself, have no affiliation with the team.

The results on and off the ice after 3 1/2 and the progress of this team under him, speak for themselves.

Comment

• Re: LSSU Lakers Hockey: 2017-18

Originally posted by Truth Serum View Post
      That’s fair and thanks for expanding on that.

There are several rumors about Whitten’s coaching style, mind games and treatment of his players, that are certainly out there as well, but no first hand account as I, like yourself, have no affiliation with the team.

The results on and off the ice after 3 1/2 and the progress of this team under him, speak for themselves.
      Let's be honest. Rich Metro wants that job.
      "The top three worst things I've seen in hockey? The invention of the trap. The invention of the morning skate. And the invention of the extremely ugly uniform."

—Brett Hull

Comment

Originally posted by eye4talent View Post
        Let's be honest. Rich Metro wants that job.
        That's a whole other discussion. Whitten was the first time the Lakers had a HC that wasn't from Anzalone's coaching tree, and we're where we're at now. However, you look at the post-Jackson years, there's a whole lot of mediocrity there too. (I suppose you could say he's part of Mason's tree, not sure if they really tie together or not offhand)

So the question becomes: Do we hire from within, like we have in the past - in which case Rich would likely be a leading candidate. Or do you hire externally again, hoping for a better initial result?

To be honest, I'm not sure which direction I would take at this point.
        LSSU Alumni & Fan.

Still a work in progress, but please join us at the (unofficial) Laker Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Deman View Post
          That's a whole other discussion. Whitten was the first time the Lakers had a HC that wasn't from Anzalone's coaching tree, and we're where we're at now. However, you look at the post-Jackson years, there's a whole lot of mediocrity there too. (I suppose you could say he's part of Mason's tree, not sure if they really tie together or not offhand)

So the question becomes: Do we hire from within, like we have in the past - in which case Rich would likely be a leading candidate. Or do you hire externally again, hoping for a better initial result?

When that inevitable time comes, replacing Whitten and how the school conducts the new hiring process, will tell a lot about the future of the program, and which direction the new AD wants to go.

I wouldn't think they would form another "committee" with a former coach as the kingpin, and that selection not exactly working out very well.
          Last edited by Truth Serum; 01-12-2018, 12:00 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Deman View Post

But I thought everything would get better if we just fired Roque...or Frank...or Borek. This is just like the Anchorage crowd the is screaming for Matt Thomas’ head. And Shyak before him...and Dean Talafous...
            Tech is leaps and bounds above us and they think they’re having a lousy year. Minnesota St & Bowling Green are once again at the top of the league. Anchorage & LSSU are once again not in a battle for the top seed or home ice. They’re trying to catch Huntsville just to make the playoffs. What do those top programs do that the bottom teams don’t?

Comment

Originally posted by RapidsCity View Post
              But I thought everything would get better if we just fired Roque...or Frank...or Borek. This is just like the Anchorage crowd the is screaming for Matt Thomas’ head. And Shyak before him...and Dean Talafous...
              Tech is leaps and bounds above us and they think they’re having a lousy year. Minnesota St & Bowling Green are once again at the top of the league. Anchorage & LSSU are once again not in a battle for the top seed or home ice. They’re trying to catch Huntsville just to make the playoffs. What do those top programs do that the bottom teams don’t?
              If we could answer that question, we wouldn't be looking up at 57 other teams right now.

I'm sure a lot of it comes to funding. Both UAA and LSSU aren't doing well financially. Fairbanks isn't doing well either, but I think they funnel more money to that program than they do UAA's. The only way to fix that is to increase enrollment, really. Sure, filling Abel Arena would help, and should be the end goal, but the school needs to do something to get students interested in coming up here.

Regardless of all that, whomever is coaching next season is going to have to reach out into the community as quickly as they can to try and get the fans hyped up for next season. Radio, paper, doesn't matter. If Whitten gets an extension, he best get ahead of the way this season went - as full transparency as they can. A new coach will have to try to smooth things over, and explain how they plan to get us 1) back to where we were (i.e middle-bottom of the pack in the playoffs) and 2) Even better than before.
              LSSU Alumni & Fan.

Still a work in progress, but please join us at the (unofficial) Laker Hockey Blog

Comment

Back to the games at hand, the Lakers pretty much have to sweep Ferris this weekend to maintain any hope of making the playoffs. Even then they would still be a point out of the playoff race and would still probably have to put together some type of winning/unbeaten streak of several games to stay in the hunt.

Comment

Anyone else having problems with the Internet stream of the game?

Comment

I am .

Comment

I am willing to see Whitten get more time but the coaching staff needs to take a hard look at themselves and ask if they are improving or teaching the players a system they are comfortable in and if not, set up a new game plan .

Comment

• Originally posted by sm2pk View Post
                        I am .
                        It kinda looks like there may be a stream running but someone forgot to turn on the sound.

Edit: Someone turned on the sound and the stream is now working.
                        Last edited by Bill; 01-12-2018, 07:03 PM.

Comment

I have to give the coaching staff a high five. Somehow you manged to put one horrible team out on the ice. Are you thinking play offs or hoping you don't finish in 10th place ?

Comment

The Lakers are a weak heartless team. I'm dead against Whitten getting any kind of contract extension.
                            BLEED BLUE

Comment

At least we aren't as bad as UAA.
                              LSSU hockey-3 time NCAA champs 1988, 1992, 1994

Comment

Originally posted by LSSULaker889294 View Post
                                At least we aren't as bad as UAA.
                                LOL, true. But the one team that UAA beat this season was LSSU.
                                Originally Posted by aparch
                                I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Working...
                                X