LSSU Lakers Hockey: 2017-18

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by devildog View Post
    I don't know, not looking for an argument. I guess it's hard for me to expect an equal commitment to two programs that are rivals.
    It’s not like it was at the same time. They were three years apart. And you can only choose from the people who are available to you. I don’t think one like Potulny was available to LSSU, and why would he have wanted to take a paycut to leave Minnesota for the Soo, where they haven’t given anyone the tools to win since Jackson left?

Comment

• Re: LSSU Lakers Hockey: 2017-18

We attended last night’s game, the first period was the worst hockey I have ever seen a Laker team play. They had no speed, toughness and the goal tending was terrible. They looked like an average high school team. I almost left but being a fan we stayed.

I was impressed with the changes made after giving up 3 goals in the first period. They played better and showed some toughness and very good goal tending. They made a game of at the end. If they would play like they did after the second disallowed goal they would be a great team. They played with a ****ed off attitude. BG is a good team and I felt they could turn it on when they wanted to. It would have been interesting if the disallowed goals would have been counted. From where we sat the second one was in.

I have read here where it is poor coaching. After watching several games this season I would say the coach does need to improve his game plans. But he did make good adjustments last night. I would say his recruiting needs to improve as the are some players that should not be playing at this level. I have heard where the last lost the locker room. Much of that I put on the captains. Do you think Yzerman or Lidstrom put up with crap in the locker room? It’s all about strength of your captains. There also has to be accountability on the players. They should have been totally embarrassed the way they played in the first. There needs to be pride in your play no matter how bad things are.

Since they are not playing at home next month I will have wait until next year to watch them. It seems they get a crappy schedule at the end of the season.
      Go Lakers!

Comment

I guess after 4 years of Damon Whitten at the helm, I have higher expectations of this team and program.

9th place and missing the playoffs in a weak conference, ranked 59th out of 60 teams in college hockey, attendance at record lows, inconsistent play and preparation for games, along with other issues can’t all be blamed on how unfair it is because of finances, players leaving, injuries, the refs, and now apparently ticket office personnel and SID’s.

Lake Superior State can do better, but it appears they will continue down this road for the near future. I hope it works out, but there is little to no evidence at this point to say it will.

Comment

Huge series for the Lakers in a couple weeks against Alaska Anchorage. I have not seen the Lakers play in such a huge series in decades. Whoever loses this series will end up as the worse team in the nation bottoming out at number 60 . The pressure has to be great knowing what a huge series this is going to be.

Something is wrong and to finish at a possible 60th out of 60 is not a step we wanted this team to take.

Comment

Originally posted by sm2pk View Post
            Huge series for the Lakers in a couple weeks against Alaska Anchorage. I have not seen the Lakers play in such a huge series in decades. Whoever loses this series will end up as the worse team in the nation bottoming out at number 60 . The pressure has to be great knowing what a huge series this is going to be.

Something is wrong and to finish at a possible 60th out of 60 is not a step we wanted this team to take.
            Has LSSU been dealing with player injuries that may have had an impact on their level of success this season?
            Originally Posted by aparch
            I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

• Originally posted by Suze View Post
              Has LSSU been dealing with player injuries that may have had an impact on their level of success this season?
              Yes, especially on defense. Two of their top four D missed quite a bit of time. A couple of others have been playing while banged up. They also lost four players early from last season: two signed pro contracts, one transferred to Michigan and one left to play major junior in the OHL. All four were among their better skaters.

Comment

Dustin Manz had a natural hat trick for Prince George (BCHL) today. He'll probably be with the Lakers for the 2019-20 season.

Comment

• Originally posted by sm2pk View Post

Yuge series for sure, I’ll stay up late for Bill Crawford’s calls of those two pivotal grudge matches in the WCHA.

Get ready for the comments to follow about lack of funding, players leaving early, injuries, bad reffing, best coach we can afford in 3..2..1...

Comment

Originally posted by Truth Serum View Post
                    Yuge series for sure, I’ll stay up late for Bill Crawford’s calls of those two pivotal grudge matches in the WCHA.

Get ready for the comments to follow about lack of funding, players leaving early, injuries, bad reffing, best coach we can afford in 3..2..1...
                    I've kinda been waiting for "Year number 13 under Jim Roque would've been the best one yet."
                    Go Lakers!

Check out the Laker Hockey Blog, it's good for you! http://lakerhockeyblog.com

Comment

IN 50 plus years of following Laker hockey, this years team is probably the worse I have ever seen. A coach is important . Look at Northern this year .

Comment

IN 50 plus years of following Laker hockey, this years team is probably the worse I have ever seen. A coach is important . Look at Northern this year .
                        Yes it is. If you want a high level coach like a Potulny, you have to open up the pocketbook and right now LSSU doesn't have deep pockets to reach into.
                        "The top three worst things I've seen in hockey? The invention of the trap. The invention of the morning skate. And the invention of the extremely ugly uniform."

—Brett Hull

Comment

Originally posted by Truth Serum View Post

Yep, called it.
                          “They are a **** site better than the U.S. Army, at least we know that they will be there in the morning.”
                          – Lewis B. Chesty Puller
                          when a journalist asked him about being surrounded by 22. enemy divisions

Comment

For the record, Frank Anzalone Part Deux - Electric Boogaloo 1) didn't have a 10-win season in the four years he was here, and had only 6 wins in 2002-2003, which is what we're at right now, so it looks like we're tied for the worst team, but may still win a few more.

But the last few pages of this thread have been nothing more than a circlejerk and it's getting quite old. Believe me, I understand why everyone is upset, it's not like I'm not also ****ed. But if it's true that Whitten has been given an extension, can we please end the "Gotta get rid of the coach" part of the circlejerk, at least until the next season starts, or if half the team leaves in the offseason?

If next year comes around & we make a good playoff run, a lot of people on these boards are going to feel awfully silly with what they've said this season.

I mean, I know that it's not going to happen, but I would still like to see people stop complaining in every post about the same exact thing they've been posting for the last few months.

But for the sake of argument: Whether it's this year or next year & Whitten is let go: Who replaces him? I've posed this before recently but didn't really get any replies. You're likely not going to draw a big HC from another school to come up here unless they're local, so you're looking at another former assistant coach - who is it? Who is your #1 guy?
                            LSSU Alumni & Fan.

Still a work in progress, but please join us at the (unofficial) Laker Hockey Blog

Comment

• Originally posted by devildog View Post
                              Yep, called it.
                              The odds were certainly in my favour, after almost four years of this.

Comment

Originally posted by Deman View Post
                                For the record, Frank Anzalone Part Deux - Electric Boogaloo 1) didn't have a 10-win season in the four years he was here, and had only 6 wins in 2002-2003, which is what we're at right now, so it looks like we're tied for the worst team, but may still win a few more.

But the last few pages of this thread have been nothing more than a circlejerk and it's getting quite old. Believe me, I understand why everyone is upset, it's not like I'm not also ****ed. But if it's true that Whitten has been given an extension, can we please end the "Gotta get rid of the coach" part of the circlejerk, at least until the next season starts, or if half the team leaves in the offseason?

If next year comes around & we make a good playoff run, a lot of people on these boards are going to feel awfully silly with what they've said this season.

I mean, I know that it's not going to happen, but I would still like to see people stop complaining in every post about the same exact thing they've been posting for the last few months.

But for the sake of argument: Whether it's this year or next year & Whitten is let go: Who replaces him? I've posed this before recently but didn't really get any replies. You're likely not going to draw a big HC from another school to come up here unless they're local, so you're looking at another former assistant coach - who is it? Who is your #1 guy?
                                I think Damon is under contract for one more season although I don't know officially what his status is. At any rate, no doubt he will be under a lot of pressure to put a better team on the ice next season. From the hockey show this evening, he obviously has the support of interim President Mitchell although we'll have a new school president by next season. The bottom line is next season will likely be a make or break season for him as Laker coach.

Comment

Working...
                                X