Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 436

Thread: USCHO Poster's Poll: '17-'18

  1. #41
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Fairbnks, AK
    Posts
    91

    Re: USCHO Poster's Poll: '17-'18

    People want to grandstand and continue to strong-arm the conversation by implying after 10 teams no one matters anymore. But when North Dakota drops their program everyone is up in arms. Growing the sport and having the PSU's and Syracuse's improve and become relevant can only make this sport stronger. So when I ask if anyone wants to start talking about the next 10 teams and get a "NO" for an answer, I guess I know what the true feeling of improving the women's game is? Too bad.

  2. #42
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    260

    Re: USCHO Poster's Poll: '17-'18

    Quote Originally Posted by agfire View Post
    People want to grandstand and continue to strong-arm the conversation by implying after 10 teams no one matters anymore. But when North Dakota drops their program everyone is up in arms. Growing the sport and having the PSU's and Syracuse's improve and become relevant can only make this sport stronger. So when I ask if anyone wants to start talking about the next 10 teams and get a "NO" for an answer, I guess I know what the true feeling of improving the women's game is? Too bad.
    I think you misunderstand. From my perspective, it is kind of silly for me to make some distinction between the 7th and 8th best teams in the country, much less the 17th and 18th teams. In order for me to do a Top 25, I would literally have to go look at each conference and see who was in it. I think there are others like me. PSU and Syracuse already know how to get into the discussion: win games.

  3. #43
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,024

    Re: USCHO Poster's Poll: '17-'18

    Quote Originally Posted by agfire View Post
    People want to grandstand and continue to strong-arm the conversation by implying after 10 teams no one matters anymore. But when North Dakota drops their program everyone is up in arms. Growing the sport and having the PSU's and Syracuse's improve and become relevant can only make this sport stronger. So when I ask if anyone wants to start talking about the next 10 teams and get a "NO" for an answer, I guess I know what the true feeling of improving the women's game is? Too bad.
    In agreement with Leather Helmet that it's not really that I or others won't rank beyond the top ten, it's just hard enough for me to go much past the top four or five and have it be anything more than guess your best. It would be ideal if we could get more fans of schools like Syracuse and PSU and others to post about their favorite squads in their own threads.

  4. #44
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,024

    Re: USCHO Poster's Poll: '17-'18

    Quote Originally Posted by hockeymakesmebroke View Post
    The poem was just a continuation of FiveHoleFrenzy's artistic prose, not really meant to incite. Top 10? That wasn't the point at all and I should have been clearer I suppose, but relevant was meant to say that they can at least compete. We should all want them to become relevant. Growing the game is the object and having more good teams that can compete is certainly a good thing. Do you WANT the same teams battling for the top spot every year? Who isn't rooting for Kampersal to come in and make PSU better than the 9-21 team we saw last year. Do you want an 0-28 and 5-25 Union or a 19-19 Union that competes. Love to see Brown win a few more games. I'd like to see Holy Cross come in to Hockey East and go .500, and I'd like to see SHU become relevant. They appear to be trying by bringing in players they may not have gotten in the past. Time will tell. I like to see the Appalachian States beat the Michigan's, I liked seeing the '80 USA team beat the USSR, I like to see Buster Douglas beat Mike Tyson, I like to see Donald Trump....well, let's not go there, I'd like to see SHU become relevant.
    Yeah, you took the ball and ran with it...nicely done.

    CrossCheck can be a bit caustic at times just so you know.

  5. #45
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    2

    Re: USCHO Poster's Poll: '17-'18

    I completely agree. Perhaps if "your" team happens to be one of the ones that is consistently battling for the top spot you do not want to see other teams start to challenge. However in the big picture the more teams that become "relevant" just helps grow the game so that hopefully what happened to North Dakota doesn't happen to another squad. I do believe that people (PSU fans or not) are rooting for Kampersal to make PSU better. Look at how great it was when Crowley turned BC around - it just keeps things interesting.

  6. #46
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Fairbnks, AK
    Posts
    91

    Re: USCHO Poster's Poll: '17-'18

    Quote Originally Posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
    In agreement with Leather Helmet that it's not really that I or others won't rank beyond the top ten, it's just hard enough for me to go much past the top four or five and have it be anything more than guess your best. It would be ideal if we could get more fans of schools like Syracuse and PSU and others to post about their favorite squads in their own threads.
    I apologize if I misunderstood. I can see that after the top ten it becomes messy. As far as fans of the second tier getting involved, people are apprehensive because of some of the other posters personally attacking their views. I know that is the case for me. I have been watching the recruiting classes of several of the mid to low ranking schools and cant help but believe that they will make significant improvement over the next couple of years. Even Frosty stated that their will be an increase in parody. Historically we see the same schools year in and year out in these rankings but I believe the talent pool is expanding exponentially and the "non-traditional" schools will reap that benefit and shake things up.

  7. #47
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    ellicott city, md, usa
    Posts
    10,474

    Re: USCHO Poster's Poll: '17-'18

    Quote Originally Posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
    In agreement with Leather Helmet that it's not really that I or others won't rank beyond the top ten, it's just hard enough for me to go much past the top four or five and have it be anything more than guess your best. It would be ideal if we could get more fans of schools like Syracuse and PSU and others to post about their favorite squads in their own threads.
    What he said.
    Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS
    WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
    If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years)

  8. #48
    #SOAR TonyTheTiger20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    East Hampton, CT
    Posts
    10,124

    Re: USCHO Poster's Poll: '17-'18

    Last call for week 1 ballots -- I'm going to post this tomorrow!

  9. #49
    Fan of chipmunk-like mascots. ARM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    The Gopher State
    Posts
    20,443

    Re: USCHO Poster's Poll: '17-'18

    Quote Originally Posted by agfire View Post
    Historically we see the same schools year in and year out in these rankings but I believe the talent pool is expanding exponentially and the "non-traditional" schools will reap that benefit and shake things up.
    Those of us who post frequently on this board and are sincerely interested in discussing hockey enjoy reading opinions of others, including those who usually remain silent. It can be tough to be a new voice, but we all made a first post at some point, so don't let that deter you.

    At the same time, it becomes a dull forum if we all must agree all of the time. I do agree with most of what you've said. However, I don't think that there is exponential growth in the talent pool. Most of the growth in talent continues to be near the bottom -- the lower-end players continue to improve relative to the top end players.

    Brian Idalski's opinion was that the number of elite players in the game was shrinking, not expanding. I don't know if that is true, but I am of the opinion that it is going to be very hard to score goals around the country this season, and in the WCHA in particular. I don't know if that will remain true next year when players who were centralized this season return.

    Olympic years seem to bring increased parity, to a certain extent. Far more teams are capable of defeating the top tier. But when the tournament field is announced, it doesn't look much different from other tourneys. I think that's when we'll really have parity, when a greater number of teams have hope of reaching the national stage and winning once there.

    As for ranking the teams beyond 10, I agree with what others have said. My vision gets quite blurry when trying to pick down to 10, and I'd be near blind by the time I was picking #20. There are just too many ways to split hairs in determining if team #19 is or is not better than #20, especially this early in a season that figures to be wide open. That doesn't mean that I'm not interested in reading what others may come up with.
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

  10. #50
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    370

    Re: USCHO Poster's Poll: '17-'18

    Quote Originally Posted by ARM View Post

    Brian Idalski's opinion was that the number of elite players in the game was shrinking, not expanding.
    I also remember reading somewhere that females born after 1996 are unlikely to be really, really good.

  11. #51
    #SOAR TonyTheTiger20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    East Hampton, CT
    Posts
    10,124

    Re: USCHO Poster's Poll: '17-'18

    Quote Originally Posted by EastFan1 View Post
    I also remember reading somewhere that females born after 1996 are unlikely to be really, really good.
    What happened in 1996??

  12. #52
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    555

    Re: USCHO Poster's Poll: '17-'18

    Quote Originally Posted by ARM View Post
    Those of us who post frequently on this board and are sincerely interested in discussing hockey enjoy reading opinions of others, including those who usually remain silent. It can be tough to be a new voice, but we all made a first post at some point, so don't let that deter you.

    At the same time, it becomes a dull forum if we all must agree all of the time. I do agree with most of what you've said. However, I don't think that there is exponential growth in the talent pool. Most of the growth in talent continues to be near the bottom -- the lower-end players continue to improve relative to the top end players.

    Brian Idalski's opinion was that the number of elite players in the game was shrinking, not expanding. I don't know if that is true, but I am of the opinion that it is going to be very hard to score goals around the country this season, and in the WCHA in particular. I don't know if that will remain true next year when players who were centralized this season return.

    Olympic years seem to bring increased parity, to a certain extent. Far more teams are capable of defeating the top tier. But when the tournament field is announced, it doesn't look much different from other tourneys. I think that's when we'll really have parity, when a greater number of teams have hope of reaching the national stage and winning once there.

    As for ranking the teams beyond 10, I agree with what others have said. My vision gets quite blurry when trying to pick down to 10, and I'd be near blind by the time I was picking #20. There are just too many ways to split hairs in determining if team #19 is or is not better than #20, especially this early in a season that figures to be wide open. That doesn't mean that I'm not interested in reading what others may come up with.
    Quite right. I vote in the men's D-I poll, and sometimes those 15-20 slots are really difficult to decide on, and the men's D-I has 60 teams. I couldn't imagine doing 20 with the women's when there are only 33 programs or so.
    "So life's a *****. What do you want to do, cry about it? " - Kara "Starbuck" Thrace

    "Wanna go get sugared up on mochas?" - Willow Rosenberg

    Check my website. College hockey; it's what it's all about!

  13. #53
    #SOAR TonyTheTiger20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    East Hampton, CT
    Posts
    10,124

    Re: USCHO Poster's Poll: '17-'18

    Poll time!

    Week I Posters Poll:

    Code:
    Rank Votes  Team (1st place votes)  Range (Mode)  Last week (change)
      1.    96  Clarkson  (7)           1-3   (1)     NR
      2.    82  Wisconsin (2)           1-9   (2)     NR
      3.    77  Minnesota               2-8   (2)     NR
      4.    74  Boston College (1)      1-5   (4)     NR
      5.    46  Colgate                 5-NR  (5)     NR
      6.    45  St. Lawrence            3-10  (7)     NR
      7.    33  Northeastern            6-NR  (6)     NR
      8.    25  Quinnipiac              5-NR  (8)     NR 
      9.    23  Robert Morris           6-NR  (10)    NR  
     10.    14  Cornell                 6-NR  (10)    NR
    
    Also Receiving Votes:
            13  Boston University       4-NR  (8)     NR
            11  Minnesota-Duluth        8-NR  (8)     NR
             5  Ohio State              9-NR  (9)     NR
             5  Princeton               6-NR  (6)     NR
             1  Mercyhurst              10-NR (10)    NR
                 
    Dropped Out:
                None
    "The Chart" will start next week after we have some week 1 to week 2 movement.
    Last edited by TonyTheTiger20; 09-27-2017 at 11:02 AM.

  14. #54
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Fairbnks, AK
    Posts
    91

    Re: USCHO Poster's Poll: '17-'18

    Quote Originally Posted by ARM View Post
    Those of us who post frequently on this board and are sincerely interested in discussing hockey enjoy reading opinions of others, including those who usually remain silent. It can be tough to be a new voice, but we all made a first post at some point, so don't let that deter you.

    At the same time, it becomes a dull forum if we all must agree all of the time. I do agree with most of what you've said. However, I don't think that there is exponential growth in the talent pool. Most of the growth in talent continues to be near the bottom -- the lower-end players continue to improve relative to the top end players.

    Brian Idalski's opinion was that the number of elite players in the game was shrinking, not expanding. I don't know if that is true, but I am of the opinion that it is going to be very hard to score goals around the country this season, and in the WCHA in particular. I don't know if that will remain true next year when players who were centralized this season return.

    Olympic years seem to bring increased parity, to a certain extent. Far more teams are capable of defeating the top tier. But when the tournament field is announced, it doesn't look much different from other tourneys. I think that's when we'll really have parity, when a greater number of teams have hope of reaching the national stage and winning once there.

    As for ranking the teams beyond 10, I agree with what others have said. My vision gets quite blurry when trying to pick down to 10, and I'd be near blind by the time I was picking #20. There are just too many ways to split hairs in determining if team #19 is or is not better than #20, especially this early in a season that figures to be wide open. That doesn't mean that I'm not interested in reading what others may come up with.
    Thanks for your input. I can totally see how it can be quite difficult to rank outside of ten. I guess we will have to see if there are going to be any "sleepers" out there in terms of upsets. In regards to the talent pool, I'm not sure i totally agree. With the amount of spots at the D 1 level actually shrinking (unfortunately) many of these young women get labeled at an early age. I truly think there are some incredible players on the fringe but cant shake the labels because of geography or affiliation. I think some of the coaches are starting to look beyond this, but only a few. I cannot wait to see the 2018 and 2019 entries and what they will do.

    I guess these girls need to capitalize their opportunities in order to create some parody, but I guess that is the case every year.

  15. #55
    Let's go RED!
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Juneau WI
    Posts
    9,711

    Re: USCHO Poster's Poll: '17-'18

    Quote Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
    Poll time!

    Week I Posters Poll:

    Code:
    Rank Votes  Team (1st place votes)  Range (Mode)  Last week (change)
      1.    96  Clarkson  (7)           1-3   (1)     NR
      2.    82  Wisconsin (2)           1-9   (2)     NR
      3.    77  Minnesota               2-8   (2)     NR
      4.    74  Boston College (1)      1-5   (4)     NR
      5.    46  Colgate                 5-NR  (5)     NR
      6.    45  St. Lawrence            3-10  (7)     NR
      7.    33  Northeastern            6-NR  (6)     NR
      8.    25  Quinnipiac              5-NR  (8)     NR 
      9.    23  Robert Morris           6-NR  (10)    NR  
     10.    14  Cornell                 6-NR  (10)    NR
    
    Also Receiving Votes:
            13  Boston University       4-NR  (8)     NR
            11  Minnesota-Duluth        8-NR  (8)     NR
             5  Ohio State              9-NR  (9)     NR
             5  Princeton               6-NR  (6)     NR
             1  Mercyhurst              10-NR (10)    NR
                 
    Dropped Out:
                None
    "The Chart" will start next week after we have some week 1 to week 2 movement.
    Just make sure WI is red.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

  16. #56
    Let's go RED!
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Juneau WI
    Posts
    9,711

    Re: USCHO Poster's Poll: '17-'18

    Quote Originally Posted by Arafel View Post
    I couldn't imagine doing 20 with the women's when there are only 33 programs or so.
    How many posters here are able actually able to spend enough quality time analyzing to produce a meaningful top 20? Most of us struggle putting a top 10 together.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

  17. #57
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,024

    Re: USCHO Poster's Poll: '17-'18

    Quote Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
    What happened in 1996??
    Nintendo officially released the N64 and Prince Charles and Diana, Princess of Wales get divorced.

  18. #58
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    233

    Re: USCHO Poster's Poll: '17-'18

    The Red Wings embarked on the season that would bring the Cup back to D after a 42 year drought.

  19. #59
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    ellicott city, md, usa
    Posts
    10,474

    Re: USCHO Poster's Poll: '17-'18

    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy A View Post
    Just make sure WI is red.
    And that Clarkson is Green (or Gold)
    Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS
    WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
    If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years)

  20. #60
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    370

    Re: USCHO Poster's Poll: '17-'18

    Quote Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
    What happened in 1996??
    The Macarena was popular and elite female hockey players stopped being born. Idalski can fill you in.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •