Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: USCHO Poster's Poll: '17-'18

Re: USCHO Poster's Poll: '17-'18

Whoops - slipped my mind (told ya so!)

I know nothing, so here we go!

1. Clarkson (Tiley, duh!)
    2. Minny (b/c the WCHA poll told me so)
    3. Wisco (I guess? ARD gone though, we'll see, and see #2)
    4. BC (ugh, gross )
    5. St. Lawrence (they did okay last season)
    6. Quinnipiac (b/c they just won't go away)
    7. Robert Morris (b/c you guys seem to think so - again, I know nothing)
    8. BU (because why not? - don't answer that question!)
    9. Red headed step children (Northeastern, losing Coyne)
    10. North Dakota! (Kidding, Mercyhurst - they've had a couple of down seasons, they should be making a comeback right?)

Very astute. As always I'm impressed by the reasoned debate in this forum... long may it continue throughout the season!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
    I actually addressed this earlier in the year and a bunch of people on the board acted like I was looking for attention.

https://www.bcinterruption.com/bosto...ls-anselm-post

The joke will be on them when the 2018 Pre-Champs Manual is released and the NCAA actually addresses the problem because I brought it up.

Short answer: Yes, I expect at least one Alliance team to be in the top 8 of the PWR. Because they are almost exclusively playing each other, the RPI would be able to detect much of a difference between the alliance teams and the rest of the regular D1 programs, relative to strength of schedule (it can't tell that these teams are "bad" relative to the others if they only play them a couple times). 5-6 losses will easily get a team from the scheduling alliance in.

St. A's is the team you have to worry about. They were 7-0 or something against the other alliance teams and the games weren't particularly close. But from what I understand, there will be a bit of a tweak to the criteria to address this (you're welcome).
    I remember it. You and I seemed to be the only ones who saw the potential problem. Glad the NCAA addressed it.

Great and powerful wizard

1-Not Clarkson. They won last year but everyone here will concede that that was an upset, right? As an upset winner do they deserve the obligatory first place vote in this season's pre-season? My pre-season vote for this season goes to the team that at the end of last season nearly everyone thought was the best. Wisconsin.
    2-Clarkson
    3-Minnesota
    4-Boston College
    5-Colgate, I guess
    6-Cornell, I guess
    7-Not UMD, maybe Robert Morris
    8-Not UMD, Quinnipiac
    9-Ohio State
    10-Not the nurses, maybe Saint Lawrence?
    Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Quote Originally Posted by ManBehindTheCurtain View Post
    1-Not Clarkson. They won last year but everyone here will concede that that was an upset, right? As an upset winner do they deserve the obligatory first place vote in this season's pre-season? My pre-season vote for this season goes to the team that at the end of last season nearly everyone thought was the best. Wisconsin.
    2-Clarkson
    3-Minnesota
    4-Boston College
    5-Colgate, I guess
    6-Cornell, I guess
    7-Not UMD, maybe Robert Morris
    8-Not UMD, Quinnipiac
    9-Ohio State
    10-Not the nurses, maybe Saint Lawrence?
    I think you're a bit tough on St Lawrence. They have only lost three seniors and gained a junior from Mercyhurst. The defence will be one year stronger.

1-Not Clarkson. They won last year but everyone here will concede that that was an upset, right? As an upset winner do they deserve the obligatory first place vote in this season's pre-season?
    I completely agree with you here -- it always baffles me when people rank the previous year's champion #1 regardless of offseason changes. But in this case I think Clarkson has a claim to #1. Wisconsin and Minnesota both lost an absolute ton of scoring, and Wisconsin also loses ARD (although I'm under no illusions that they won't be able to slot in another 'tender who will suddenly prove to be All-World yet again). Clarkson wasn't unbitten by the graduation bug, but they lost far less and don't have any Olympic worries. So despite the fact that they leapfrogged some higher ranked teams to win the natty last year... I think they also leapfrogged them in the offseason.

7-Not UMD
    8-Not UMD
    A+

Quote Originally Posted by HarryFoodTech View Post
    I think you're a bit tough on St Lawrence. They have only lost three seniors and gained a junior from Mercyhurst. The defence will be one year stronger.
    The only caveat I have for SLU is that they came from absolutely nowhere to being ridiculous basically overnight last season. They went from basically .500 to undefeated for like the first 1/3 of the year. That kind of thing isn't usually sustainable although they did obviously stay up there for essentially the whole year.

Now, they did cool way, way off in the 2nd half to just being "very good," so given how much parity I think there'll be this year you could probably make an argument to put SLU anywhere from like 5th to 10th.
    Last edited by TonyTheTiger20; 09-21-2017 at 09:02 AM.

1. Clarkson
    2. Wisconsin
    3. Boston College
    4. Minnesota
    5. Colgate
    6. Northeastern
    7. St. Lawrence
    8. Robert Morris
    9. Minnesota Duluth
    10. Quinnipiac
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Is anyone willing to expand their choices to 20 or 25? Some interesting selections so far.

Making America Troll Again

Quote Originally Posted by agfire View Post
    Is anyone willing to expand their choices to 20 or 25?
    No

1) Boston College - sure they are missing two D to Team USA, but eeyore convinced me defense is not important to win a natty
    2) Clarkson
    3) St Lawrence
    4) Boston University
    5) Quinnipiac
    6) Princeton
    7) Colgate
    8) Minnesota - can't score
    9) Wisconsin - can't score when it counts
    10) Robert Morse
    Doing my best to alleviate our nations political hysteria.

Let's go RED!

Quote Originally Posted by pokechecker View Post
    No
    9) Wisconsin - can't score when it counts
    New season, new players, new attitude. They will play loose and fast, they won't know any better.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

...........Clarkson wasn't unbitten by the graduation bug, but they lost far less and don't have any Olympic worries. So despite the fact that they leapfrogged some higher ranked teams to win the natty last year... I think they also leapfrogged them in the offseason.
    Clarkson was bitten by the graduation bug more than you think TTT with the loss of Mercer and Bannon along with their great leadership. Those two did everything. They were on the PP, PK along with a regular shift. Bannon was great in the corners as was Mercer. Loren Gabel absolutely thrived in the last half of the regular season and post season when she was put on the Mercer Bannon line. Clarkson will be darn good once again but some group is gonna have to make up for those 43g and 72 assists and penalty killing prowess. The senior forwards are not scorers but contribute in other ways. They have a great freshman class with both scoring and defense. Giguere, Boyle, Pidgeon and Stoddard are scorers, and the addition of Mitchell and Hector on D may make Clarkson even better there. I think the scoring will be down but the defense just might be a tad better. Saturday at 3:00PM they play Guelph and you can watch for free on the internet and see for yourself.
    Last edited by vicb; 09-21-2017 at 02:18 PM.
    Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS
    WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
    If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years)

Is anyone willing to expand their choices to 20 or 25? Some interesting selections so far.
    What!!!!! Not this guy.
    WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO

Quote Originally Posted by pokechecker View Post
    No
    Quote Originally Posted by vicb View Post
    What!!!!! Not this guy.
    alol.... now I kind of want to just for the heck of it!

Are there really 25 women's teams out there that should even be in a Top 25.
    WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO

I think there are exactly 25 teams out there that should be in the Top 25.

Absolutely there is! Be grateful for what we have (and hope for a little more)

Quote Originally Posted by hockeymakesmebroke View Post
    Roses are red, violets are blue, in 2018 Sacred Heart becomes relevant too.

Understand they we able to bring in some very solid players off of the "late bloomers list."

Say what you want but in the big picture, you have to hope I'm right. More competition is better for everyone.

Sacred Tarts become..."relevant too"??

In what universe? They can't beat average D3 teams but now they're 'relevant' in a D1 Top-10 listing.... because they maybe picked up a few "late bloomers" off of some "list"??? lol...really, you can't make this #$%& up.

The poem was just a continuation of FiveHoleFrenzy's artistic prose, not really meant to incite. Top 10? That wasn't the point at all and I should have been clearer I suppose, but relevant was meant to say that they can at least compete. We should all want them to become relevant. Growing the game is the object and having more good teams that can compete is certainly a good thing. Do you WANT the same teams battling for the top spot every year? Who isn't rooting for Kampersal to come in and make PSU better than the 9-21 team we saw last year. Do you want an 0-28 and 5-25 Union or a 19-19 Union that competes. Love to see Brown win a few more games. I'd like to see Holy Cross come in to Hockey East and go .500, and I'd like to see SHU become relevant. They appear to be trying by bringing in players they may not have gotten in the past. Time will tell. I like to see the Appalachian States beat the Michigan's, I liked seeing the '80 USA team beat the USSR, I like to see Buster Douglas beat Mike Tyson, I like to see Donald Trump....well, let's not go there, I'd like to see SHU become relevant.

Quote Originally Posted by CrossCheck View Post
    Sacred Tarts become..."relevant too"??

In what universe? They can't beat average D3 teams but now they're 'relevant' in a D1 Top-10 listing.... because they maybe picked up a few "late bloomers" off of some "list"??? lol...really, you can't make this #$%& up.
    Geez take a breather maybe

Geez take a breather maybe

On the upside.......... IT'S GAME DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thread Information