USCHO Poster's Poll: '17-'18

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USCHO Poster's Poll: '17-'18

It's that time of year! Send in your preseason ballots. I'll be posting on Wednesdays again this year.

Here's the final poll I compiled last year, I think it might have been the last week of the regular season or something.
    Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
    Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
    Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Re: USCHO Poster's Poll: '17-'18

I reserve the right to change my mind, but here's what I'm thinking off the cuff:

1) Clarkson
    2) Wisconsin
    3) Minnesota
    4) Boston College
    5) Colgate
    6) Northeastern
    7) St. Lawrence
    8) Quinnipiac
    9) Robert Morris
    10) Cornell

Duluth 5th in the USCHO poll is absurd. They lose basically their entire offense.

Here's some back of the envelope math on returning scoring. I didn't take into account transfers. This factors in Olympians and graduated seniors.

My thoughts:

-Hockey East looks like it's going to be a bit deeper this year.
    -Gophers and Badgers lose more than I thought they did.
    -Parity is going to be insane this year.
    -How is Providence returning so much scoring? They lose something like 4 D, so they might give up close to a billion goals after allowing so many last year.

Last edited by TonyTheTiger20; 09-19-2017, 11:19 AM.

Comment

I have no idea what is happening out east, before any games have been played, so these predictions should not be used for wagering purposes.

1) Clarkson U: Return lots of scoring, but question mark in goal.
      2) UM: I like the freshmen
      3) UW: Last time they didn't have an All-American goaltender, the Gophers could beat the Badgers in football
      4) BC: I automatically pick BC as the best team out east
      5) Colgate: everybody's back
      6) Robt Morris: almost everybody's back
      7) Northeastern: lots of people are back
      8) St Lawrence: some people are back
      9) Quinnipiac: always looks good in polls
      10) Clarkson College Fighting Nurses: nobody gave them a chance last year, and look what happened.

Comment

Originally posted by Leather helmet View Post
        1) Clarkson U: Return lots of scoring, but question mark in goal.
        10) Clarkson College Fighting Nurses: nobody gave them a chance last year, and look what happened.
        Errr you lost me here haha

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
          Errr you lost me here haha
          The original NYT story about the championship game attributed the win to Clarkson College, an Omaha nursing school. Thus began the legend of the 'Fighting Nurses', the 'Monsters of Mercy', the 'Frozen Nightingales.'

Comment

1. Clarkson
            2. UW
            3. UM
            4. St L
            5. BC
            6. NE
            7. Q
            8. BU
            9. OSU
            10.Bob M.

Love the cool colored scoring graph. How about one for returning D and goalies next week.
            Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
            ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
            ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
            "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
            Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

The original NYT story about the championship game attributed the win to Clarkson College, an Omaha nursing school. Thus began the legend of the 'Fighting Nurses', the 'Monsters of Mercy', the 'Frozen Nightingales.'
              Ah, so who do you have in 10th then? haha

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
                Ah, so who do you have in 10th then? haha
                If forced to choose, I will put OSU in 10. I think that is a team on the rise.

Comment

1) Clarkson
                  2) Minnesota
                  3) Wisconsin
                  4) Boston College
                  5) Colgate
                  6) Northeastern
                  7) St. Lawrence
                  8) UMD
                  9) Robert Morris
                  10) Cornell

Comment

It was the LA Times and how can you forget USCHO having Cornell winning the championship in the original lede??

And Tiley is back for CCT, so how can goaltending be an issue??
                    CCT '77 & '78
                    4 kids
                    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                      It was the LA Times and how can you forget USCHO having Cornell winning the championship in the original lede??

And Tiley is back for CCT, so how can goaltending be an issue??
                      In the spirit of the times, I will assert that my post was based on alternative facts, and I stand behind it.

As for the goaltending, I just said there was a question mark. It turns out that the answer to that question is Tiley, so not a bad answer.

Comment

Until I see the second coming of Cayley Mercer and Genevieve Bannon from two of the returnees or freshmen

1) Wisconsin
                        2) Minnesota
                        3) Clarkson Early season Clarkson/Northeastern and Clarkson/Bemidji series will be a good indicator of this team's strengths/weaknesses
                        4) Boston College
                        5) Colgate
                        6) Northeastern
                        7) St. Lawrence
                        8) UMD
                        9) Cornell
                        10) Robert Morris
                        Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
                        And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
                        WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
                        If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

1. Clarkson - Roses are red, violets are blue, with Tiley in net what's gonna get through?
                          2. Wisconsin - Roses are red, violets are blue, their four lines will stick to you like glue.
                          3. BC - Roses are red, violets are blue, Burt and Barnes, seems like their overdue.
                          4. Minnesota - Roses are red, violets are blue, Zoom Boom's aim will be true.
                          5. Colgate - Roses are red, violets are blue, That much return scoring will have others looking up to.
                          6. Cornell - Roses are red violets are blue, mistakenly labeled champs last year, but maybe that headline this year will be worth a redo?
                          7. St Lawrence - Roses are red, violets are blue, Will there be enough momentum from last year to carry through?
                          8. UMD - Roses are red, violets are blue, freshmen in numbers will be their renew.
                          9. Northeastern - Roses are red, violets are blue, second fiddle to BC seems like deja vu
                          10. Quinnipiac - Roses are red, violets are blue, Bobcats have talent so what's new?
                          At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Nicely done, FiveHole.
                            Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Roses are red, violets are blue, in 2018 Sacred Heart becomes relevant too.

Understand they we able to bring in some very solid players off of the "late bloomers list."

Say what you want but in the big picture, you have to hope I'm right. More competition is better for everyone.

Comment

Working...
                              X