Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: USCHO Poster's Poll: '17-'18

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
    In agreement with Leather Helmet that it's not really that I or others won't rank beyond the top ten, it's just hard enough for me to go much past the top four or five and have it be anything more than guess your best. It would be ideal if we could get more fans of schools like Syracuse and PSU and others to post about their favorite squads in their own threads.
    I apologize if I misunderstood. I can see that after the top ten it becomes messy. As far as fans of the second tier getting involved, people are apprehensive because of some of the other posters personally attacking their views. I know that is the case for me. I have been watching the recruiting classes of several of the mid to low ranking schools and cant help but believe that they will make significant improvement over the next couple of years. Even Frosty stated that their will be an increase in parody. Historically we see the same schools year in and year out in these rankings but I believe the talent pool is expanding exponentially and the "non-traditional" schools will reap that benefit and shake things up.

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
      In agreement with Leather Helmet that it's not really that I or others won't rank beyond the top ten, it's just hard enough for me to go much past the top four or five and have it be anything more than guess your best. It would be ideal if we could get more fans of schools like Syracuse and PSU and others to post about their favorite squads in their own threads.
      What he said.
      Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
      And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
      WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
      If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

Last call for week 1 ballots -- I'm going to post this tomorrow!
        Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
        Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
        Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Originally posted by agfire View Post
          Historically we see the same schools year in and year out in these rankings but I believe the talent pool is expanding exponentially and the "non-traditional" schools will reap that benefit and shake things up.
          Those of us who post frequently on this board and are sincerely interested in discussing hockey enjoy reading opinions of others, including those who usually remain silent. It can be tough to be a new voice, but we all made a first post at some point, so don't let that deter you.

At the same time, it becomes a dull forum if we all must agree all of the time. I do agree with most of what you've said. However, I don't think that there is exponential growth in the talent pool. Most of the growth in talent continues to be near the bottom -- the lower-end players continue to improve relative to the top end players.

Brian Idalski's opinion was that the number of elite players in the game was shrinking, not expanding. I don't know if that is true, but I am of the opinion that it is going to be very hard to score goals around the country this season, and in the WCHA in particular. I don't know if that will remain true next year when players who were centralized this season return.

Olympic years seem to bring increased parity, to a certain extent. Far more teams are capable of defeating the top tier. But when the tournament field is announced, it doesn't look much different from other tourneys. I think that's when we'll really have parity, when a greater number of teams have hope of reaching the national stage and winning once there.

As for ranking the teams beyond 10, I agree with what others have said. My vision gets quite blurry when trying to pick down to 10, and I'd be near blind by the time I was picking #20. There are just too many ways to split hairs in determining if team #19 is or is not better than #20, especially this early in a season that figures to be wide open. That doesn't mean that I'm not interested in reading what others may come up with.
          "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
          And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post

Brian Idalski's opinion was that the number of elite players in the game was shrinking, not expanding.
            I also remember reading somewhere that females born after 1996 are unlikely to be really, really good.

Comment

Originally posted by EastFan1 View Post
              I also remember reading somewhere that females born after 1996 are unlikely to be really, really good.
              What happened in 1996??

Comment

Those of us who post frequently on this board and are sincerely interested in discussing hockey enjoy reading opinions of others, including those who usually remain silent. It can be tough to be a new voice, but we all made a first post at some point, so don't let that deter you.

At the same time, it becomes a dull forum if we all must agree all of the time. I do agree with most of what you've said. However, I don't think that there is exponential growth in the talent pool. Most of the growth in talent continues to be near the bottom -- the lower-end players continue to improve relative to the top end players.

Brian Idalski's opinion was that the number of elite players in the game was shrinking, not expanding. I don't know if that is true, but I am of the opinion that it is going to be very hard to score goals around the country this season, and in the WCHA in particular. I don't know if that will remain true next year when players who were centralized this season return.

Olympic years seem to bring increased parity, to a certain extent. Far more teams are capable of defeating the top tier. But when the tournament field is announced, it doesn't look much different from other tourneys. I think that's when we'll really have parity, when a greater number of teams have hope of reaching the national stage and winning once there.

As for ranking the teams beyond 10, I agree with what others have said. My vision gets quite blurry when trying to pick down to 10, and I'd be near blind by the time I was picking #20. There are just too many ways to split hairs in determining if team #19 is or is not better than #20, especially this early in a season that figures to be wide open. That doesn't mean that I'm not interested in reading what others may come up with.
                Quite right. I vote in the men's D-I poll, and sometimes those 15-20 slots are really difficult to decide on, and the men's D-I has 60 teams. I couldn't imagine doing 20 with the women's when there are only 33 programs or so.
                "So life's a *****. What do you want to do, cry about it? " - Kara "Starbuck" Thrace

"Wanna go get sugared up on mochas?" - Willow Rosenberg

Check my website. College hockey; it's what it's all about!

Comment

Poll time!

Week I Posters Poll:

Code:
                  Rank Votes  Team (1st place votes)  Range (Mode)  Last week (change)
                    1.    96  Clarkson  (7)           1-3   (1)     NR
                    2.    82  Wisconsin (2)           1-9   (2)     NR
                    3.    77  Minnesota               2-8   (2)     NR
                    4.    74  Boston College (1)      1-5   (4)     NR
                    5.    46  Colgate                 5-NR  (5)     NR
                    6.    45  St. Lawrence            3-10  (7)     NR
                    7.    33  Northeastern            6-NR  (6)     NR
                    8.    25  Quinnipiac              5-NR  (8)     NR 
                    9.    23  Robert Morris           6-NR  (10)    NR  
                   10.    14  Cornell                 6-NR  (10)    NR

Also Receiving Votes:
                          13  Boston University       4-NR  (8)     NR
                          11  Minnesota-Duluth        8-NR  (8)     NR
                           5  Ohio State              9-NR  (9)     NR
                           5  Princeton               6-NR  (6)     NR
                           1  Mercyhurst              10-NR (10)    NR

Dropped Out:
                              None
                  "The Chart" will start next week after we have some week 1 to week 2 movement.
                  Last edited by TonyTheTiger20; 09-27-2017, 11:02 AM.

Comment

Thanks for your input. I can totally see how it can be quite difficult to rank outside of ten. I guess we will have to see if there are going to be any "sleepers" out there in terms of upsets. In regards to the talent pool, I'm not sure i totally agree. With the amount of spots at the D 1 level actually shrinking (unfortunately) many of these young women get labeled at an early age. I truly think there are some incredible players on the fringe but cant shake the labels because of geography or affiliation. I think some of the coaches are starting to look beyond this, but only a few. I cannot wait to see the 2018 and 2019 entries and what they will do.

I guess these girls need to capitalize their opportunities in order to create some parody, but I guess that is the case every year.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
                      Poll time!

Week I Posters Poll:

Code:
                      Rank Votes  Team (1st place votes)  Range (Mode)  Last week (change)
                        1.    96  Clarkson  (7)           1-3   (1)     NR
                        2.    82  Wisconsin (2)           1-9   (2)     NR
                        3.    77  Minnesota               2-8   (2)     NR
                        4.    74  Boston College (1)      1-5   (4)     NR
                        5.    46  Colgate                 5-NR  (5)     NR
                        6.    45  St. Lawrence            3-10  (7)     NR
                        7.    33  Northeastern            6-NR  (6)     NR
                        8.    25  Quinnipiac              5-NR  (8)     NR 
                        9.    23  Robert Morris           6-NR  (10)    NR  
                       10.    14  Cornell                 6-NR  (10)    NR

Also Receiving Votes:
                              13  Boston University       4-NR  (8)     NR
                              11  Minnesota-Duluth        8-NR  (8)     NR
                               5  Ohio State              9-NR  (9)     NR
                               5  Princeton               6-NR  (6)     NR
                               1  Mercyhurst              10-NR (10)    NR

Dropped Out:
                                  None
                      "The Chart" will start next week after we have some week 1 to week 2 movement.
                      Just make sure WI is red.
                      Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                      Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                      "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                      Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Arafel View Post
                        I couldn't imagine doing 20 with the women's when there are only 33 programs or so.
                        How many posters here are able actually able to spend enough quality time analyzing to produce a meaningful top 20? Most of us struggle putting a top 10 together.
                        Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                        Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                        Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                        "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                        Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

What happened in 1996??
                          Nintendo officially released the N64 and Prince Charles and Diana, Princess of Wales get divorced.
                          At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

The Red Wings embarked on the season that would bring the Cup back to D after a 42 year drought.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                              Just make sure WI is red.
                              And that Clarkson is Green (or Gold)
                              Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
                              And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
                              WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
                              If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

What happened in 1996??
                                The Macarena was popular and elite female hockey players stopped being born. Idalski can fill you in.

Comment

Working...
                                X