Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The Medical Thread: We're experts on everything else; why not?

Lucia Apologist

Re: The Medical Thread: We're experts on everything else; why not?

Viagara now available over the counter in the UK.
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Quote Originally Posted by SanTropez View Post
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West.

If Only You Knew MissThundercat's Avatar
    The constipation issue is pretty much resolved. What was missing was oats and high intensity activity.

As for the fatigue and anemia: feeling better. Enough to run and do more intense workouts again. However, I am holding myself to a promise of "No 26.2" this coming year. I think 5K, 10K, and sprint duathlon (5K run/20K bike/5K run) should keep me busy.

If Only You Knew MissThundercat's Avatar

I believe chronic fatigue was a misdiagnosis, and it was simple overtraining that led to being so f-cking tired.

2015, did three marathons, felt good.
    2016, decided I could pile on with 5 marathons and a 50 mile ultra. After the Marquette Marathon Labor Day weekend that year, my ankles were screaming. After each marathon that year, I only waited a week before heading back out.
    2017, I wanted to shoot the moon. Shot both feet off in the process. I wanted to be on someone else's level so badly that I ignored the warning signs. In the end, when I was forced to not run between August and December, "I did absolutely nothing. And it was everything I dreamed it could be."
    twitter: PipersHouse920, instagram: bobambermarie
    “Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly.”
    ― Franz Kafka
    Adventures With Amber Marie

CBD oil cream/salve/balm whatever you want to call it, it works.
    A bad cause requires many words.

wubba lubba dub dub

Clearly a one-sided report, with Mayo declining to respond, but interesting nonetheless.

Family says Mayo was trying to abduct their daughter.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Quote Originally Posted by St. Clown View Post
    Clearly a one-sided report, with Mayo declining to respond, but interesting nonetheless.

Admittedly, I'm a supporter of Mayo. But starting with the line that the patient had virtually no chance of survival and progressing quickly to obscenities, I have some doubts about this one. 1) They see thousands of patients a day - not surprising that at some point they'll have some issues 2) This is not a bank - they literally save the lives of hundreds a day and potentially lives that may not have been saved elsewhere. I think giving some slack is due. 3) It even appears that CNN is walking on egg shells with how much positioning this one's getting. Questionable.
    Go Gophers!

Quote Originally Posted by 5mn_Major View Post
    Admittedly, I'm a supporter of Mayo. But starting with the line that the patient had virtually no chance of survival and progressing quickly to obscenities, I have some doubts about this one. 1) They see thousands of patients a day - not surprising that at some point they'll have some issues 2) This is not a bank - they literally save the lives of hundreds a day and potentially lives that may not have been saved elsewhere. I think giving some slack is due. 3) It even appears that CNN is walking on egg shells with how much positioning this one's getting. Questionable.
    Here is the thing about the Mayo Clinic. If your head just fell off of your shoulders one day, that's the place where I'd want it to happen because if there is a way to keep you alive in that situation, they will figure it out.

But, the Mayo Clinic, as a business and organization, is nasty. I can tell you this from personal experience. When talking about Mayo it is extremely important to remember those differences. They would throw a wheelchair bound 80 year old into the street if she was interfering with their business expansion plans, then turn around and have one of their doctors restore her ability to walk.

This young lady was saved by a medical miracle that can really only be performed at Mayo and perhaps a couple of other locations. The problem afterward is that she ended up having to deal at length with the corporation.
    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Reminded me of this,

https://www.naturalnews.com/042999_B...Pelletier.html

Wind up workin' in a gas station walrus's Avatar

Wow, thats quite the story
    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

wubba lubba dub dub

Quote Originally Posted by SonofSouthie View Post
    Yeah, the family who escaped the Mayo Clinic reached out to the Pelletier family after a family friend clued them in on that story.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Yeah, the family who escaped the Mayo Clinic reached out to the Pelletier family after a family friend clued them in on that story.
    Oh wow, didn't know that.

Here's another from Boston Children's.

https://medicalkidnap.com/2015/04/24...-disagreement/

Quote Originally Posted by SonofSouthie View Post

This is why you should NEVER take your child to a conventional hospital unless it's an absolutely life-and-death emergency.
    And this is where I stopped reading. I wish people would post real articles about newsworthy events instead of screeds from advocacy sites.

Natural News is the InfoWars of the left.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    Natural News is the InfoWars of the left.
    Good to know, I had never heard of it before. Thanks.

Kicizapi Cetan

Have a cold in the summer is no fun.

Having the cold that is ripping through my region this summer is a whole lot of no fun. I should've bought stock in Kleenex.
    The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved.

North Dakota Hockey:

Quote Originally Posted by unofan View Post
    And this is where I stopped reading. I wish people would post real articles about newsworthy events instead of screeds from advocacy sites.
    Yeah. Medical malpractice insurance is of great value on society. Beyond that, there are certain institutions that are a target...because they attract readers. Notice that in spite of other major stories, the Mayo story wasn't just a front page story...it was the screaming headline. That's editorial positioning.
    Go Gophers!

Quote Originally Posted by 5mn_Major View Post
    Yeah. Medical malpractice insurance is of great value on society. Beyond that, there are certain institutions that are a target...because they attract readers. Notice that in spite of other major stories, the Mayo story wasn't just a front page story...it was the screaming headline. That's editorial positioning.
    The mayo story was at least cnn, which still had journalistic standards. I'm referring to the follow-up postings.

The plural of anecdote is not data

Although I do not have any direct knowledge of this patient (and full disclosure I have several colleagues and friends at Mayo), I can say that there are many errors in this report that I can say with pretty high certainty. Some may know I am critical of some of Mayo's practices but I can assure you that they are more than capable of following standard of care for this type of patient and unless there is convincing evidence otherwise, I would assume they did everything to the best of their ability.

I do not have the time right now to go into it deeply (busy inpatient service right now) but off the top I can say this patient was not on a neurology service, but a neurosurgery service. Frequently confused but very different. Aneurysms and their subsequent subarachnoid hemorrhage is managed by neurosurgeons, with possibly neurology as a consult to help with the almost inevitable seizures. The neurosurgeons would be the ones continuing the opiates.

These type of patients are literally the sickest people in the hospital for the first 2-3 weeks after rupture (as long as the surgeons can secure the aneurysm) but if you get them through that, they are the type of people that will walk back into your ICU in a year to thank you.

Briefly on the transfer, often you cannot transfer a patient because of insurance reasons. There are regulations that you cannot transfer a patient to a "less capable" hospital. For instance, if you transfer from a primary hospital to a tertiary care hospital, the insurance will not cover transfer out because by definition the tertiary care facility can offer every available treatment. Mayo is often referred to as a "quaternary care" facility (particularly for neuro related cases) so they likely have trouble fulfilling transfer requests.

I may add more later in the week but the tl;dr version is that there are enough clear, easy enough to correct errors throughout this entire piece that I seriously question the accuracy of anything said in it.
    In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    I look at some people and I just know they do it doggy style. No way they're getting close to my kids.

Thread Information