Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Medical Thread: We're experts on everything else; why not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sitting here, realizing I literally ran my health into the ground. With anemia, chronic fatigue syndrome, and some other things, I know I'm not helpless. I think I can beat most of this with dietary changes, such as more red meat, legumes, dark leafy greens, less coffee, and more water.
    Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
    "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
    Patreon for exclusive writing content
    Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Re: The Medical Thread: We're experts on everything else; why not?

Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
      ... and more water.
      Nobody drinks enough water.
      The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
        Nobody drinks enough water.
        I go through about 3-4 liters a day. In summer, it's more...probably twice that.
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
          I go through about 3-4 liters a day. In summer, it's more...probably twice that.
          I have a 24 oz sport bottle that I fill at least 6-7 times a day.

But I have to drop the coffee, which is part of the fatigue.
          Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
          "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
          Patreon for exclusive writing content
          Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Originally posted by jerphisch View Post
            They don't allow the goalies to punt or heading in youth soccer here until 11. There was recently a study on football that showed starting after 12 decreased the risk some as well.
            Yup. US Soccer doesn't allow for heading until they're 11.

There is actually a higher concussion rate in girls soccer than boys soccer as well.
            U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
            Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
            I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
            But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
            Originally posted by Doyle Woody
            Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by SonofSouthie View Post
              Done that, 3 times already. Was given propofol for the "light sedation" with no problems. Next one is in 2 years. Oh, and just because colon cancer doesn't run in the family you have to get it done starting at 50. Polyps will form and if the go undetected they can become cancerous. The prep is the worst part as everyone will say but one would rather be safe than sorry.
              Originally posted by Kepler View Post
              This. Start earlier. ...
              The procedure is a breeze (because you're on a beach on the Pain Killer Archipelago) and there's no aftermath issues atoll.
              The counter I'm hearing: Our family history "most likely COD or massive change in lifestyle" events are (1) heart, (2) dementia, (3) pulmonary. There's nothing for colon cancer. Heck, the blood relative aunts/uncles (10) who have had the scope have a grand total of two polyps. Parents? Nada. However, we do have an uncle with no polyps and now no short term memory either. Thank you propofol.

My counter: So, do the pain killer without the sedative.

I base that on Europe where about half of exams are done with ... nothing. No sedative, no pain killers.

My reading also got me wondering about the drugs they use in the US: propofol or Versed. Both of those seem like overkill (<-- bad word choice). Those are "date rape" family drugs for a procedure that is done "native" in Europe. Starting to wonder if someone doesn't have a point.
              The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
                The counter I'm hearing: Our family history "most likely COD or massive change in lifestyle" events are (1) heart, (2) dementia, (3) pulmonary. There's nothing for colon cancer. Heck, the blood relative aunts/uncles (10) who have had the scope have a grand total of two polyps. Parents? Nada. However, we do have an uncle with no polyps and now no short term memory either. Thank you propofol.

My counter: So, do the pain killer without the sedative.

I base that on Europe where about half of exams are done with ... nothing. No sedative, no pain killers.

My reading also got me wondering about the drugs they use in the US: propofol or Versed. Both of those seem like overkill (<-- bad word choice). Those are "date rape" family drugs for a procedure that is done "native" in Europe. Starting to wonder if someone doesn't have a point.
                I would suspect something else may have happened as these are both very common medications used and for "twilight" sedation. There are millions of procedures a year that occur with this without this side effect.

Versed inhibits memory in a very similar mechanism to alcohol (as do all benzodiazepines). For status epilepticus patients, we can put them into a versed coma, sometimes lasting weeks and they still retain the ability to form new memories following removal of the coma.

Although often a good way to identify cause/effect, the temporal association of events (medication given-->memory loss) can often mislead, particularly when the mechanism does not fit the known pharmacodynamics and known side effects of the medication. Now if his blood pressure dropped (as is a very common side effect from propofol) there are other reasons (like cerebral hypoperfusion...or simply a form of stroke) for memory loss. Blood pressure drops should not be severe as it is something you monitor closely and can easily correct given the very short half life of propofol.
                In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Originally posted by burd
                I look at some people and I just know they do it doggy style. No way they're getting close to my kids.

Comment

40% of cancers tied to obesity.

Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
                  Sitting here, realizing I literally ran my health into the ground. With anemia, chronic fatigue syndrome, and some other things, I know I'm not helpless. I think I can beat most of this with dietary changes, such as more red meat, legumes, dark leafy greens, less coffee, and more water.
                  As I recall, you were pretty intense on the workouts...maybe too intense. Balance.

Not sure red meat is the answer. Keeping my personal workouts reasonable but consistent, yes water, and going mostly vegetarian. Never felt better.
                  Go Gophers!

Comment

Some of the case studies on how ketogenic dieting abates psychosis better than drugs do is fascinating. One woman had schizophrenia for 60 years and got her best results from a "whole food" low carb diet. Pushing your diet even moderately in the direction of lowering carbs and raising fat may be generally good for mental stability and well being.
                    Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                    USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
                      Some of the case studies on how ketogenic dieting abates psychosis better than drugs do is fascinating. One woman had schizophrenia for 60 years and got her best results from a "whole food" low carb diet. Pushing your diet even moderately in the direction of lowering carbs and raising fat may be generally good for mental stability and well being.
                      I didn't even stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night, but

The general consensus is that the brain functions more cleanly and efficiently when a significant portion of its energy comes from ketones, calming overactive and overly-reactive brain cells.
                      sounds like woo. The ketonic diet for weight loss for example seems like a sham. I hope there is some serious science behind this.
                      Cornell University
                      National Champion 1967, 1970
                      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I didn't even stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night, but

sounds like woo. The ketonic diet for weight loss for example seems like a sham. I hope there is some serious science behind this.
                        I haven't dug deep, but my thoughts are
                        1. Dr. Rhonda Patrick (@foundmyfitness) is awesome. I always check at least the lede on her links. She illuminates the cutting edge of medicine.
                        2. I'm a believer that ideally, every person would be abiding by a custom diet based on genetics, metabolism, age, etc. and that what works for one may not work for another. My wife has had terrific results by reducing carbs and increasing good fats. (I am a carb addict myself but it doesn't seem to do me harm)
                        3. I feel that it's clear most Americans eat way too many processed carbs, whatever they might be replaced by. Raw vegetables or animal proteins or whatever.
                        4. Weight loss for its own sake is misguided and unhealthy.
                        Having said all that, some of the case studies are fascinating.
                        Last edited by geezer; 10-05-2017, 09:51 AM.
                        Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                        USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
                          I haven't dug deep, but my thoughts are
                          1. Dr. Rhonda Patrick (@foundmyfitness) is awesome. I always check at least the lede on her links. She illuminates the cutting edge of medicine.
                          2. I'm a believer that ideally, every person would be abiding by a custom diet based on genetics, metabolism, age, etc. and that what works for one may not work for another. My wife has had terrific results by reducing carbs and increasing good fats. (I am a carb addict myself but it doesn't seem to do me harm)
                          3. I feel that it's clear most Americans eat way too many processed carbs, whatever they might be replaced by. Raw vegetables or animal proteins or whatever.
                          4. Weight loss for its own sake is misguided and unhealthy.
                          Having said all that, some of the case studies are fascinating.
                          Honestly, I am not trying to be a jerk, but wouldn't "eat right and exercise" cover all this, without any requirement to diet at all? I say this as someone who does neither.
                          Cornell University
                          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Honestly, I am not trying to be a jerk, but wouldn't "eat right and exercise" cover all this, without any requirement to diet at all? I say this as someone who does neither.
                            Yes, but we as a people do better with correct diets when they have a theme onto which we can latch. Most of these low-carb diets are healthy eating simply packaged differently. They allow for eating protein, fats, and complex carbs. Almost to a last, they merely limit/eliminate simple carbs as their method of getting people to eat right. Because they have a theme, people have an easier time adhering to them, so long as they're not too severe in their calorie reduction.
                            "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                              Yes, but we as a people do better with correct diets when they have a theme onto which we can latch. Most of these low-carb diets are healthy eating simply packaged differently. They allow for eating protein, fats, and complex carbs. Almost to a last, they merely limit/eliminate simple carbs as their method of getting people to eat right. Because they have a theme, people have an easier time adhering to them, so long as they're not too severe in their calorie reduction.
                              That makes sense. Thanks.
                              Cornell University

Comment

Diets are much more individual than most would believe. Yes, fruit, veggies, water. But some bodies are better at processing one thing than another...some bodies need more of something than something else. I was told by Mayo that based on blood tests, etc I specifically should be eating wheat products.
                                Go Gophers!

Comment

Working...
                                X