Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The Medical Thread: We're experts on everything else; why not?

Re: The Medical Thread: We're experts on everything else; why not?

Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    CTE also happens to hockey players. You gonna stop them from playing that, too?
    Pretty sure soccer is on that list.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Lucia Apologist

Probably.

Depends on the percentage risk. If CTE happens to 1 hockey player in a thousand then that's a debate. For football that number seems to be something like 1 in 2.

It's on its way out like boxing and good riddance. I'm sure if we still had gladiatorial games people would be like "oh, so the snowflakes don't want to get impaled? Why, when I was your age..."
    Last edited by Kepler; 09-22-2017 at 10:29 PM.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018

Lucia Apologist

Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    Depends on the percentage risk. If CTE happens to 1 hockey player in a thousand then that's a debate. For football that number seems to be something like 1 in 2.

It's on its way out like boxing and good riddance. I'm sure if we still had gladiatorial games people would be like "oh, so the snowflakes don't want to get impaled? Why, when I was your age..."
    Exactly. But 1 in 2 seems low.

Football has a half life and I'm guessing the NFL as we know it dies before Super Bowl 75. The more we learn about the science of concussions, the more insane playing football is going to be. Some day, playing football is going to be viewed the exact same way we view cigarettes today.

Seriously, the average football player lives something like 30 fewer years than the average basketball player. That's just not a product long for this world.

Again, I mention soccer. Headers is the key in this sport:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/14/health...udy/index.html
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Lucia Apologist

And when we find that 90+% of soccer players have CTE, I'll cross that bridge when we get there. Unfortunately for you trying to score cheap points, we aren't there yet.

Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    And when we find that 90+% of soccer players have CTE, I'll cross that bridge when we get there. Unfortunately for you trying to score cheap points, we aren't there yet.
    For soccer, it's still fairly new. And I know there is NO comparison to the NFL/NHL in percentages. It's dam near impossible to reach those numbers. But it is a factor. Where is the line?

Wind up workin' in a gas station walrus's Avatar

The line to me would be young kids and headers. If 16 is the magic age then maybe its ok after that??
    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

They don't allow the goalies to punt or heading in youth soccer here until 11. There was recently a study on football that showed starting after 12 decreased the risk some as well.

Quote Originally Posted by jerphisch View Post
    They don't allow the goalies to punt or heading in youth soccer here until 11. There was recently a study on football that showed starting after 12 decreased the risk some as well.
    Same here. Now if they could get kids to kick with the left foot.....

If Only You Knew MissThundercat's Avatar
    Sitting here, realizing I literally ran my health into the ground. With anemia, chronic fatigue syndrome, and some other things, I know I'm not helpless. I think I can beat most of this with dietary changes, such as more red meat, legumes, dark leafy greens, less coffee, and more water.

Kicizapi Cetan

Quote Originally Posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
    ... and more water.
    Nobody drinks enough water.
    The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved.

North Dakota Hockey:

Quote Originally Posted by The Sicatoka View Post
    Nobody drinks enough water.
    I go through about 3-4 liters a day. In summer, it's more...probably twice that.

If Only You Knew MissThundercat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brenthoven View Post
    I go through about 3-4 liters a day. In summer, it's more...probably twice that.
    I have a 24 oz sport bottle that I fill at least 6-7 times a day.

But I have to drop the coffee, which is part of the fatigue.

Already insane, UAA making it worse
    Quote Originally Posted by jerphisch View Post
    Yup. US Soccer doesn't allow for heading until they're 11.

There is actually a higher concussion rate in girls soccer than boys soccer as well.

Kicizapi Cetan

Quote Originally Posted by SonofSouthie View Post
    Done that, 3 times already. Was given propofol for the "light sedation" with no problems. Next one is in 2 years. Oh, and just because colon cancer doesn't run in the family you have to get it done starting at 50. Polyps will form and if the go undetected they can become cancerous. The prep is the worst part as everyone will say but one would rather be safe than sorry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    This. Start earlier. ...
    The procedure is a breeze (because you're on a beach on the Pain Killer Archipelago) and there's no aftermath issues atoll.
    The counter I'm hearing: Our family history "most likely COD or massive change in lifestyle" events are (1) heart, (2) dementia, (3) pulmonary. There's nothing for colon cancer. Heck, the blood relative aunts/uncles (10) who have had the scope have a grand total of two polyps. Parents? Nada. However, we do have an uncle with no polyps and now no short term memory either. Thank you propofol.

My counter: So, do the pain killer without the sedative.

I base that on Europe where about half of exams are done with ... nothing. No sedative, no pain killers.

My reading also got me wondering about the drugs they use in the US: propofol or Versed. Both of those seem like overkill (<-- bad word choice). Those are "date rape" family drugs for a procedure that is done "native" in Europe. Starting to wonder if someone doesn't have a point.
    The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved.

North Dakota Hockey:

The plural of anecdote is not data

Quote Originally Posted by The Sicatoka View Post
    The counter I'm hearing: Our family history "most likely COD or massive change in lifestyle" events are (1) heart, (2) dementia, (3) pulmonary. There's nothing for colon cancer. Heck, the blood relative aunts/uncles (10) who have had the scope have a grand total of two polyps. Parents? Nada. However, we do have an uncle with no polyps and now no short term memory either. Thank you propofol.

My counter: So, do the pain killer without the sedative.

I base that on Europe where about half of exams are done with ... nothing. No sedative, no pain killers.

My reading also got me wondering about the drugs they use in the US: propofol or Versed. Both of those seem like overkill (<-- bad word choice). Those are "date rape" family drugs for a procedure that is done "native" in Europe. Starting to wonder if someone doesn't have a point.
    I would suspect something else may have happened as these are both very common medications used and for "twilight" sedation. There are millions of procedures a year that occur with this without this side effect.

Versed inhibits memory in a very similar mechanism to alcohol (as do all benzodiazepines). For status epilepticus patients, we can put them into a versed coma, sometimes lasting weeks and they still retain the ability to form new memories following removal of the coma.

Although often a good way to identify cause/effect, the temporal association of events (medication given-->memory loss) can often mislead, particularly when the mechanism does not fit the known pharmacodynamics and known side effects of the medication. Now if his blood pressure dropped (as is a very common side effect from propofol) there are other reasons (like cerebral hypoperfusion...or simply a form of stroke) for memory loss. Blood pressure drops should not be severe as it is something you monitor closely and can easily correct given the very short half life of propofol.
    In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    I look at some people and I just know they do it doggy style. No way they're getting close to my kids.

40% of cancers tied to obesity.

Quote Originally Posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
    Sitting here, realizing I literally ran my health into the ground. With anemia, chronic fatigue syndrome, and some other things, I know I'm not helpless. I think I can beat most of this with dietary changes, such as more red meat, legumes, dark leafy greens, less coffee, and more water.
    As I recall, you were pretty intense on the workouts...maybe too intense. Balance.

Not sure red meat is the answer. Keeping my personal workouts reasonable but consistent, yes water, and going mostly vegetarian. Never felt better.
    Go Gophers!

Inspired by Actual Events

Some of the case studies on how ketogenic dieting abates psychosis better than drugs do is fascinating. One woman had schizophrenia for 60 years and got her best results from a "whole food" low carb diet. Pushing your diet even moderately in the direction of lowering carbs and raising fat may be generally good for mental stability and well being.
    Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
    USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Quote Originally Posted by geezer View Post
    Some of the case studies on how ketogenic dieting abates psychosis better than drugs do is fascinating. One woman had schizophrenia for 60 years and got her best results from a "whole food" low carb diet. Pushing your diet even moderately in the direction of lowering carbs and raising fat may be generally good for mental stability and well being.
    I didn't even stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night, but

The general consensus is that the brain functions more cleanly and efficiently when a significant portion of its energy comes from ketones, calming overactive and overly-reactive brain cells.
    sounds like woo. The ketonic diet for weight loss for example seems like a sham. I hope there is some serious science behind this.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018

Thread Information