Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Medical Thread: We're experts on everything else; why not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Medical Thread: We're experts on everything else; why not?

Discuss.
    The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Re: The Medical Thread: We're experts on everything else; why not?

I have a relative (uncle) who recently went in for a colonoscopy. They were "lightly sedated", whatever that means; however, they are now having some short-term memory issues post-procedure. This is interesting given the family history: a parent (uncle's sibling), post-general anesthesia, went from mild memory issues to diagnosed dementia (memory care for nearly a decade now).

And now a sibling has their GP recommending a screening colonoscopy and they are paranoid. So, poll the audience.

And yes, my day is coming soon enough.
    The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
      I have a relative (uncle) who recently went in for a colonoscopy. They were "lightly sedated", whatever that means; however, they are now having some short-term memory issues post-procedure. This is interesting given the family history: a parent (uncle's sibling), post-general anesthesia, went from mild memory issues to diagnosed dementia (memory care for nearly a decade now).

And now a sibling has their GP recommending a screening colonoscopy and they are paranoid. So, poll the audience.

There's a whole thing among naturopaths about how anesthetics stay in the body and accumulate to cause problems if you don't get them "cleared". There's so much complete garbage out there about clearing toxins and using essential oils and whatnot, though, that if you look into it I advise skepticism and keeping one hand on your wallet. But then, I've been surprised and impressed by what "alternative" practitioners can get done. If you find a smart and ethical one.
      Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
      USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

So I'm reading about Aaron Hernandez's horrific brain damage when little geezer asks if he can join football next season. What to tell him?
        Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
          So I'm reading about Aaron Hernandez's horrific brain damage when little geezer asks if he can join football next season. What to tell him?
          Explain risks. All of them. Then let him decide.

My contribution: was diagnosed with severe psoriasis last year. Prescribed Stelera. Works wonders. No side effects. And thank GOD for a good insurance policy at my company. The stuff is expensive without good insurance.
          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
            You're probably right, he is 16 so I hate to dictate his choices. But man...

Comment

You're probably right, he is 16 so I hate to dictate his choices. But man...
              I do not envy you. But if he knows ALL the risks, and then proceeds...

The trouble is with players in the past, they DIDN'T know all the risks.

And here we are with this conundrum.
              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Big thing is that he is 16 and if he's never played before, he's missed out on a lot of the cumulative hits. So he does have that going for him.

Might want to consider meeting with his high school coach(es) and find out if they are "old school" football or not. While many coaches have adapted to how the game has changed and are at the forefront of playing "the right way", there are also others who think the game peaked in 90's and still play as such.

Working as a Back Judge on Friday nights has shown that those types are still somewhat common and are going to be the death of this sport
                It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

The other thing is, you CAN pull the "you're only 16 and live in my house" but that could backfire.

Comment

My contribution: was diagnosed with severe psoriasis last year. Prescribed Stelera. Works wonders. No side effects. And thank GOD for a good insurance policy at my company. The stuff is expensive without good insurance.
                    Is that a biologic?
                    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

This is excellent advice.

It is also appropriate to give your personal opinion / preference as parent. But giving him the power to make the decision makes him feel autonomous and that's what is really important that age.

Also it sets the tone between you and him where you are a positive, supportive resource rather than a dictator to be sneaked around. One season of football is probably not a big deal either way. But he is entering a decade with very, very hairy decisions and he's going to need to trust his father for guidance. It's best to establish early that you respect him as starting to grow into an adult but you also have been down the road before him scouting and have valuable intel.
                      Cornell University
                      National Champion 1967, 1970
                      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post

Done that, 3 times already. Was given propofol for the "light sedation" with no problems. Next one is in 2 years. Oh, and just because colon cancer doesn't run in the family you have to get it done starting at 50. Polyps will form and if the go undetected they can become cancerous. The prep is the worst part as everyone will say but one would rather be safe than sorry.
                        A bad cause requires many words.

Comment

Originally posted by SonofSouthie View Post
                          Done that, 3 times already. Was given propofol for the "light sedation" with no problems. Next one is in 2 years. Oh, and just because colon cancer doesn't run in the family you have to get it done starting at 50. Polyps will form and if the go undetected they can become cancerous. The prep is the worst part as everyone will say but one would rather be safe than sorry.
                          This. Start earlier. I had mine at 52 but in retrospect just start at 45 ferchrissakes -- risk/reward.

BTW, everybody talks about the prep being horrific but I just found it to be gross and an inconvenience, it's not actually painful or anything.

The procedure is a breeze (because you're on a beach on the Pain Killer Archipelago) and there's no aftermath issues atoll.
                          Last edited by Kepler; 09-22-2017, 10:02 AM.
                          Cornell University
                          National Champion 1967, 1970
                          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                            Is that a biologic?
                            I have no idea. It's a tiny shot that I inject into my lower torso or leg 4x a year. The doctor said it's basically a superdrug that only attacks the crap that creates the psoriasis flare up.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                              This. Start earlier. I had mine at 52 but in retrospect just start at 45 ferchrissakes -- risk/reward.

BTW, everybody talks about the prep being horrific but I just found it to be gross and an inconvenience, it's not actually painful or anything.

The procedure is a breeze (because you're on a beach on the Pain Killer Archipelago) and there's no aftermath issues atoll.
                              BTW, everybody talks about the prep being horrific
                              Drink and squirt.
                              A bad cause requires many words.

Comment

Working...
                              X