Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 34

Thread: WCHA vs S Korea Tournament

  1. #1
    Let's go RED!
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Juneau WI
    Posts
    9,065

    WCHA vs S Korea Tournament

    I thought it would be fun to have a statistical tournament comparing the results of the South Koreans playing the WCHA teams. If you lose you are disqualified from the tourney and the WCHA and SSM takes your spot in the WCHA.

    Here's the point system.

    Goal differential 1 point each
    Shot differential .05 point each
    Special team goal .25 each
    Shut out 1 point
    Allowing no shots in a period .5 each

    It may be hard to find box scores for these (USCHO doesn't have one on the UW game), but maybe we all can pull together our resources with some eye witness accounts to make this happen.

    UW game:
    8
    55*.05=2.75 Shots 60-5
    4*.25=1 2 ppg 2 sh
    1
    .5 = 3rd period
    Total - 13.25
    Wisconsin Hockey: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

  2. #2
    Fan of chipmunk-like mascots. ARM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    The Gopher State
    Posts
    20,139

    Re: WCHA vs S Korea Tournament

    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy A View Post
    It may be hard to find box scores for these ...
    http://collegehockeystats.net/1718/boxes/wkorwis1.s16

    Collegehockeystats is my definitive source for all things statistical.

    Does your tournament start now -- e.g., is UW disqualified because its exhibition took place before the tourney/rules were announced? Otherwise, most people would likely go with something much simpler, such as goal differential. That's what a lot of round-robin tourneys use. I'm not aware of any that award points for not allowing a shot in a period, most fans in attendance, the phase of the moon, or whatever else one could dream up after the fact.

    Anyway, the best thing to do is to just declare Wisconsin the champion now. The Badgers have proven to be very good at running up the score on overmatched teams, while others may not realize the importance of the Korean Expo Tourney and may instead use it as a chance to skate versus someone other than teammates.
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    20904/13677/07677/07621
    Posts
    30,761

    Re: WCHA vs S Korea Tournament

    No bonus point to SK for winning the shootout???

  4. #4
    Let's go RED!
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Juneau WI
    Posts
    9,065

    Re: WCHA vs S Korea Tournament

    Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    No bonus point to SK for winning the shootout???
    No. UW did not take the shoot out seriously and sent no heavy hitters into the shootout and used the least experienced goalie.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

  5. #5
    Let's go RED!
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Juneau WI
    Posts
    9,065

    Re: WCHA vs S Korea Tournament

    Quote Originally Posted by ARM View Post
    http://collegehockeystats.net/1718/boxes/wkorwis1.s16

    Collegehockeystats is my definitive source for all things statistical.

    Does your tournament start now -- e.g., is UW disqualified because its exhibition took place before the tourney/rules were announced? Otherwise, most people would likely go with something much simpler, such as goal differential. That's what a lot of round-robin tourneys use. I'm not aware of any that award points for not allowing a shot in a period, most fans in attendance, the phase of the moon, or whatever else one could dream up after the fact.

    Anyway, the best thing to do is to just declare Wisconsin the champion now. The Badgers have proven to be very good at running up the score on overmatched teams, while others may not realize the importance of the Korean Expo Tourney and may instead use it as a chance to skate versus someone other than teammates.
    I knew I should have left this category in, but I took it out:

    If your school is located in WI +2
    If your school is located in MN -2.

    I didn't want anyone to accuse me of giving UW an advantage. LOL.

    Take off your serious hat and put on the let's have a little fun hat. It's preseason.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

  6. #6
    Fan of chipmunk-like mascots. ARM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    The Gopher State
    Posts
    20,139

    Re: WCHA vs S Korea Tournament

    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy A View Post
    Take off your serious hat and put on the let's have a little fun hat. It's preseason.
    That might be my problem. It's preseason for you, but for me, it's still offseason.
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

  7. #7
    Let's go RED!
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Juneau WI
    Posts
    9,065

    Re: WCHA vs S Korea Tournament

    Bemidji scores 9.1 on the Korean Scale.

    UW 13.5
    BSU 9.1

    I can't wait to see what the rodents do. This will surely tell us who will win the wcha.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    196

    Re: WCHA vs S Korea Tournament

    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy A View Post
    Bemidji scores 9.1 on the Korean Scale.

    UW 13.5
    BSU 9.1

    I can't wait to see what the rodents do. This will surely tell us who will win the wcha.
    I hope the Gophers don't get screwed over by the Russian judge.

  9. #9
    Let's go RED!
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Juneau WI
    Posts
    9,065

    Re: WCHA vs S Korea Tournament

    Quote Originally Posted by Leather helmet View Post
    I hope the Gophers don't get screwed over by the Russian judge.
    They will get screwed by the Wisconsin judge. Trust me, I'm not good at math but my math is the only math that counts. :O
    Wisconsin Hockey: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    196

    Re: WCHA vs S Korea Tournament

    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy A View Post
    They will get screwed by the Wisconsin judge. Trust me, I'm not good at math but my math is the only math that counts. :O
    If I understand the rules of this competition, the categories are determined after the game has been played. So, we don't know yet what things will count for points, but we can be certain that UM will have more than 13.5.

  11. #11
    Let's go RED!
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Juneau WI
    Posts
    9,065

    Re: WCHA vs S Korea Tournament

    Quote Originally Posted by Leather helmet View Post
    If I understand the rules of this competition, the categories are determined after the game has been played. So, we don't know yet what things will count for points, but we can be certain that UM will have more than 13.5.
    That's where that sneaky Russian er Wisconsin judge suddenly changes the rules non-retroactively. You can't trust commies comrade Helmet.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Minny
    Posts
    1,280

    Re: WCHA vs S Korea Tournament

    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy A View Post
    That's where that sneaky Russian er Wisconsin judge suddenly changes the rules non-retroactively. You can't trust commies comrade Helmet.
    Yes, I think Chinese officiating is really interesting as well

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    20904/13677/07677/07621
    Posts
    30,761
    Quote Originally Posted by KTDC View Post
    Yes, I think Chinese officiating is really interesting as well
    inscrutable

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    1,525
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy A View Post
    Bemidji scores 9.1 on the Korean Scale.

    UW 13.5
    BSU 9.1

    I can't wait to see what the rodents do. This will surely tell us who will win the wcha.
    I don't think the game will tell us much of anything. My guess is that the WCHA coaches will use the game as a chance to exercise the new kids, play with their lines and tenders. I expect the players to have fun and not play flat out. I'll say that now and stick to it no matter how the other games play out.

    Your scoring idea is just fun but I wouldn't put much stock in it.

    And I do think you have to score the shoot out even if WI didn't win it.

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,648

    Re: WCHA vs S Korea Tournament

    Scoring SCSU's exhibition vs S Korea might be best served with the option to take a mulligan...

  16. #16
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    1,078
    Quote Originally Posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
    Scoring SCSU's exhibition vs S Korea might be best served with the option to take a mulligan...
    You mean allowing 3 goals against while only facing 13 total shots isn't good?! Hmm, who knew?!

  17. #17
    Let's go RED!
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Juneau WI
    Posts
    9,065

    Re: WCHA vs S Korea Tournament

    UW 13.5
    BSU 9.1
    St. Cloud 3.3
    Wisconsin Hockey: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

  18. #18
    Let's go RED!
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Juneau WI
    Posts
    9,065

    Re: WCHA vs S Korea Tournament

    I'd like to see Lindenwood and S Korea play. It might be a fair fight.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

  19. #19
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    1,525
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy A View Post
    I'd like to see Lindenwood and S Korea play. It might be a fair fight.
    Given that SSM beat Korea 7-2 it might be interesting to see them play SCSU

    Though I bet the Huskies have had less practice time this season.

  20. #20
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    1,078
    Quote Originally Posted by ne7minder View Post
    Given that SSM beat Korea 7-2 it might be interesting to see them play SCSU

    Though I bet the Huskies have had less practice time this season.
    Is SCSU still trying to recover from the previous coach after he basically destroyed the program until he was finally booted after posting the worst 4 year record in team history?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •