Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oswego state hockey 2017-18 - green, gold and teal - it's not business, its personal.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Oswego state hockey 2017-18 - green, gold and teal - it's not business, its perso

Originally posted by PSUChamps2001 View Post
    With all due respect...that means about as much as a poll. Until they start winning SUNYAC games I could care less about winning NC games. Tho however it WILL be nice to see the team healthIER and what they can do. The new D Pizzo looked pretty good and will help. Fenton really showed up this weekend but needs to be consistent.
    well winning the Tourny is better than losing,could be another second half come back??

Comment

• Re: Oswego state hockey 2017-18 - green, gold and teal - it's not business, its perso

Originally posted by DIIIFan View Post
      First Congrats to MHV they deserved the win. As already mentioned I think the size of MHV played a big roll especially in the 3rd. I had the pleasure of talking with their coach before the game and I asked him what he sees in the biggest difference between the East and West style of play since they played St. Norbert very well and he mentioned that the West is a lot more physical. Well that is how MHV won last night. I was thinking on my way back to Syracuse what the difference is between the first half of the season and now. The physical play is no where where it was in the beginning of the season and the composure to battle back is gone also. The third period looked like there was no team work or will there. I think last nights game was the 5th or 6th time we have had a 5 minute PP and failed to score. The PP needs to be changed. Put one of the bigs in from of the net and let him bang and get the rebounds which is not happening. This is taught at the lowest level of hockey. Right now we are just an average team.
      Oswego '88
      Yes MHV Big bodies took the gas out of us,very obvious in the 3rd,I think it caused us to take a few lazy penalties,trip,hook etc..We have a smallish roster and it showed,but doesnt mean the smaller guys dont hit,they do,we need our bigger players to set the tone,like Waterstreet did last yr,thats said we missed several chances early both even up and on the PP..Maybe throw Horn Farabee and Dourocher out there and tell'em to mix it up...Alls well,plenty season left....p/s If we puck watch in our Dzone,doesn't matter how big or small the players are.

Comment

My 2 cents
        Just can't seem to win Championships games around here lately. I was at both games. The third period against Manhattenville reminded me of the third period against Hobart, in the sense we ran out of gas. We also ran out of confidence and Manhattenville grew bigger and faster as the game went on, they smelled blood, and they showed no Mercy. Good for them they earned the win.
        The Power Played sucked the life/confidence out of the team, they have to rearrange the pieces and hope they can score a few. Manhattenville was big, but that's not why we lost. Our top 2 lines are not really small, Molinario, Huffnagle, Spink ,Berry are not small division 3 players, Herlihey plays big and Zizek doesn'nt need to be big. Emmerson is big as well. Yes Scorpio, D'arzio and Gillispie are small, but Gillispie was probably one of our most productive forwards against Mannville all game.
        Interesting, all three loss's this year are game 2's of a back to back. I don't think it's conditioning, I suspect the kid's are sore/worn out.
        Our D is a little small, maybe they struggled a bit with the big Swedes but if we score on a couple of those grade A oppurtunities in the first 30 minutes, our D might have played a little bigger.
        I like Richers game all weekend, not everyone agrees, but I thought he played well.
        I was also surprised we didn't see fresh legs in the second game. I would have liked to have seen bigger lines 3 & 4.
        I would like to Zizek with Gillispie, on a line and the PP, lets give that a chance. I also saw some glimpse of the Brun we had last year, I hope he will have a strong second half.
        My glass is half full, lots of Hockey left, this team will bounce back.

Comment

Going back the last 10-12 years, we usually get into a "first half of January Bermuda Triangle". I don't know why, but it might have to do with playing teams outside the SUNYAC- fresh teams with a different style. We usually have a tourney or two and a few non-conference games during that time period. After a few losses in there the talk then turns to needing to win the SUNYAC to assure a bid. The last three games have been weak, and we have Utica in the Aud in two weeks. Reality Check: this is a "rebuilding year" for us, lot's of scoring graduated last May. After the good run in November and December it's easy to forget that.
          Oswego State 1980 Grad
          (attended in one way or another from 1968-1988, don't ask..... )

Comment

Also thought we would see a few fresh players in game 2....Whats with Ferreria and MacMillian?? I think Mac makes the d much stronger...Gillespie has skill and likes to mix it up I know where he gets it from..."J term" is a tough part of the season I never liked it,Bermuda Triangle is a good term,lots of crazy things happen not just with The Lakers but other teams as well...Richer looked pretty good maybe more anticipation needed??...PP goes in and out,we were out vs MHV will get better....As for rebuilding dont tell that to Herlihy or Cambell,Ferreira* Dourocher, as a senior its your last chance to win it all...Yes BIG game vs Utica they look strong and well balanced and deep...more fun to come
            Last edited by bakdraft21; 01-08-2018, 08:32 AM.

Comment

An issue I take is we have the players to match the size, they were just up in the crowd. Looked like the boys need the skates sharpened to were a lot of untimely blow outs all alone that led to turnovers.

Comment

Just my takeaway from this weekend's games with WTOP

- Bruce and Pelnik are just too slow. Their size is nice and Bruce has a nice wrist shot, but people were going right past them.

- Not sure why (Maybe Eddie or Mark will tell us) but they took Spink off the PP. Rather than like what we've seen last year with players on from mixed lines, it has been a D at the point, an entire line (Spink, Huffnagle, Zizek) or (Molinaro, Herlihey, Berry) with another player mixed in.. the first pp line was

Currie (D) - Spink, Huffnalge, Zizek - and Gillespie

The 2nd PP line was

Novick (D) - Molinaro, Herlihey, Berry - and Emerson

But things have been mixed up recently. Oswego only has ONE game this year where they've scored exactly one PP goal. In every other game they've either scored multiple (2,3..) or none, which they've done 8 times.

- Gillespie was absolutely phenomenal. Not just that last goal, but he was a speed demon all game and kept pucks in, forcing turnovers. So many things that are not showing up on the stat sheet.

- I'm giving up hope on Sullivan (#14). After he was the highest scoring player in the CCHL two years ago to go to a Division III school, and starting his career with 4 goals in 4 games, hopes were so high. But he has missed so many chances in front of the net on wide open shots, and he was the reason for the first goal, he got caught puck watching and a player snuck behind him. His play has been poor recently.

- A lot of people have been saying Brun has been disappearing, but he's been coming around lately. But as of now, the best two D on the team are Campbell (for his zone defense) and Currie (does most on offense and blocks most shots)

Comment

Originally posted by BKrosky View Post
                  Just my takeaway from this weekend's games with WTOP

- Bruce and Pelnik are just too slow. Their size is nice and Bruce has a nice wrist shot, but people were going right past them.

- Not sure why (Maybe Eddie or Mark will tell us) but they took Spink off the PP. Rather than like what we've seen last year with players on from mixed lines, it has been a D at the point, an entire line (Spink, Huffnagle, Zizek) or (Molinaro, Herlihey, Berry) with another player mixed in.. the first pp line was

Currie (D) - Spink, Huffnalge, Zizek - and Gillespie

The 2nd PP line was

Novick (D) - Molinaro, Herlihey, Berry - and Emerson

But things have been mixed up recently. Oswego only has ONE game this year where they've scored exactly one PP goal. In every other game they've either scored multiple (2,3..) or none, which they've done 8 times.

- Gillespie was absolutely phenomenal. Not just that last goal, but he was a speed demon all game and kept pucks in, forcing turnovers. So many things that are not showing up on the stat sheet.

- I'm giving up hope on Sullivan (#14). After he was the highest scoring player in the CCHL two years ago to go to a Division III school, and starting his career with 4 goals in 4 games, hopes were so high. But he has missed so many chances in front of the net on wide open shots, and he was the reason for the first goal, he got caught puck watching and a player snuck behind him. His play has been poor recently.

- A lot of people have been saying Brun has been disappearing, but he's been coming around lately. But as of now, the best two D on the team are Campbell (for his zone defense) and Currie (does most on offense and blocks most shots)
                  As for the PP, even when we had BIG guns like Whitelaw,Moody Rodriques Hulshof Gallati Neil etcetc there were times when things didnt click,that said I think the players/coaches needed to realize when this is and just shoot and crash the net,things will get going again I am sure..Gillespie plays a gritty fast game and he has the skill to be a top scorer,I think they may be figuring out who to play him with to get the most out of his talent.College hockey D1/3 is a fast game,what happens in juniors stays in jr's never know what or who will translate to the college game.I think for freshmen,Novick and Allen have stepped up and done great as well,we will need to recruit a few more Dmen next yr,I am sure its in the works.....Naz is next, check their record,they look pretty **** good,beat Elmira,Potsdam,and Manhatanville,played Utica and Genny very close....Time to step it up at the CC,I am sure they will be ready.
                  Last edited by bakdraft21; 01-08-2018, 09:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bakdraft21 View Post
                    As for the PP, even when we had BIG guns like Whitelaw,Moody Rodriques Hulshof Gallati Neil etcetc there were times when things didnt click,that said I think the players/coaches needed to realize when this is and just shoot and crash the net,things will get going again I am sure..Gillespie plays a gritty fast game and he has the skill to be a top scorer,I think they may be figuring out who to play him with to get the most out of his talent.College hockey D1/3 is a fast game,what happens in juniors stays in jr's never know what or who will translate to the college game.I think for freshmen,Novick and Allen have stepped up and done great as well,we will need to recruit a few more Dmen next yr,I am sure its in the works.....Naz is next, check their record,they look pretty **** good,beat Elmira,Potsdam,and Manhatanville,played Utica and Genny very close....Time to step it up at the CC,I am sure they will be ready.
                    Last win vs Naz was 1-3-15. George Roll is on a roll against his his old team. I believe we come out firing and right the ship.

Comment

• Originally posted by OZFEST View Post
                      Last win vs Naz was 1-3-15. George Roll is on a roll against his his old team. I believe we come out firing and right the ship.
                      Uh we smoked them last year.... After they upset us at the tourney, we smoked their **** the following week.

Comment

Originally posted by OZrebel View Post
                        Uh we smoked them last year.... After they upset us at the tourney, we smoked their **** the following week.
                        Stand corrected, I missed last year, good catch

Comment

• Originally posted by OZFEST View Post
                          Stand corrected, I missed last year, good catch
                          Still I hold them beating Manhattanville as they actually have the upper hand this game. We will have to bring everything we have. Id like to see us run farabee give the kid more than a one game shot he brings a larger body that i feel we need, Dorazio is quick and has some hands but man is that kid always laying down because he falls on his own.

Comment

How's Tanner Spink doing, ten points or so ?
                            It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Originally posted by bakdraft21 View Post
                              As for rebuilding dont tell that to Herlihy or Cambell,Ferreira* Dourocher, as a senior its your last chance to win it all...
                              Well, so far Herlihey has 12 points, but the other three have 6 points among them. "Time's a waistin."
                              Oswego State 1980 Grad
                              (attended in one way or another from 1968-1988, don't ask..... )

Comment

Would love to see what would happen with a Horn, Durocher, Farabee/Bruce/Emerson line paired with our best D's that sole purpose is sent out to grind and punish yet has the skill to score. We lack a grind line but have the players to do it.

One major takeaway I've noticed we have not crashed the net to cash in our last 3 games. Trying and failing to do last second passes and long range Snipes far to often. Back to the basics of a dirty grind game is what we need to right the ship I feel.

Comment

Working...
                                X