Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oswego state hockey 2017-18 - green, gold and teal - it's not business, its personal.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Oswego state hockey 2017-18 - green, gold and teal - it's not business, its perso

Originally posted by BKrosky View Post
    Okay this is a little ridiculous... Wouldn't get an NIT invite? Save your hyperbole and dramatic woes for somewhere else. This team was at point 18-3-2 and the #1 team in the East, and yes, they collapsed. But there's a difference between overachieving and overrated, they were the former but not the latter.

And comparing playing on the road for teams like Geneseo and Utica is so far different then playing a team like Fredonia on the road, the comparison shouldn't even be made. Coming away with ties in those games was incredibly difficult.

Yes they did struggle in the big games... whiteout weekend, the two tournament losses, SUNYACs etc. But remember the 2-0 defecit against Elmira to come back and win 4-2, the 1-3 defecit against Fredonia to then score 3 goals in 2 minutes and win 5-3. Scoring 3 goals in 15 minutes against Geneseo at home to lock up home ice.

Let's promote good, articulate conversations on this forum, not "i don't know if we would get a NIT invite" exaggeration.
    There is a certain subset of the Oswego fan base that is of the glass is 1/4 empty (not 3/4 full) attitude - doom and gloom whenever something doesn't go quite right. It has actually toned down quite a bit in the last couple of years, but it is still there. All you can do is wait and see. You had a good regular season, and there are a lot of variables involved in determining who gets Pool C bids. The main thing losing (one game) in a conference tournament is the game is a loss on your profile and you aren't in control of your destiny. Wait and see. I think that if Norwich loses to Hobart, the road opens up for Oswego for sure. I don't want to see that happen, but it's too early for doom and gloom. I could be all doom and gloom about Norwich having only one option to get in, but winning a RS championship is a darn good season, and Oswego did exactly that.
    2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
    2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
    2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
    2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

• Re: Oswego state hockey 2017-18 - green, gold and teal - it's not business, its perso

I wouldn't say they struggled in big games? They struggled in the last 3 games, (and we deserved to win both white-out weekend games, based on play/chances).
      We lost in OT in Hobart (the day after the emotionaly big Teal game). We tied Genny and beat Genny. Are 2 wins against Buffalo State is what's keeping them out of the Rankings. Our goalie let us down against Middlebury. The only big game we stunk out the joint was Manhattenville.

It would be fun to get in the tournament as an underdog, don't underestimate the emotional advantage of the underdog...just ask Fredonia.

Comment

Ah, the "yes, but..." and "only if" arguments as you try to figure out a way to "back into" the tournament on other teams misfortunes. Pathetic. Win and advance gentlemen, as it should be. So they didn't get it done and there's always next year. But don't rip me for pointing out the obvious: we lost when it counted, at our own rink where we were the #1 seed. We didn't "deserve to win" no matter how you spin it and we were not the "better team".
        Pretty sure regular season champion gets a participation trophy, may be one of you guys lend the team one of yours?

BTW...no going anywhere ski, as there is no where else to go. I thought the NIT jab was tongue in cheek, and at least at little bit funny, but I don't care if you didn't appreciate it anyway, but you're right, ties are incredibly difficult. Give the man a trophy, because we tied......

Comment

Originally posted by OZFEST View Post
          Ah, the "yes, but..." and "only if" arguments as you try to figure out a way to "back into" the tournament on other teams misfortunes. Pathetic. Win and advance gentlemen, as it should be. So they didn't get it done and there's always next year. But don't rip me for pointing out the obvious: we lost when it counted, at our own rink where we were the #1 seed. We didn't "deserve to win" no matter how you spin it and we were not the "better team".
          Pretty sure regular season champion gets a participation trophy, may be one of you guys lend the team one of yours?

BTW...no going anywhere ski, as there is no where else to go. I thought the NIT jab was tongue in cheek, and at least at little bit funny, but I don't care if you didn't appreciate it anyway, but you're right, ties are incredibly difficult. Give the man a trophy, because we tied......
          ....and it took 3 posts to prove Prof's point...smh
          LakerEagleLover

I support tuition payments past...

Comment

It looks like the Committee still likes Oswego & Buffalo state. I like our chances.
            Men's NCAA Regional Rankings - Feb. 27

EAST REGION

Division III Record

Overall Record

Prev.

1 Salve Regina 20-5-2 20-5-2 1
            2 University of New England 20-4-3 20-4-3 2
            3 Hobart 17-5-5 17-5-5 2
            4 Oswego State 18-6-2 18-6-2 4
            5 SUNY Geneseo 18-5-3 18-5-3 5
            6 Trinity 17-5-2 18-5-2 6
            7 Utica 20-5-1 20-5-1 7
            7 Plymouth State 17-4-2 19-4-2 8
            9 Buffalo State 17-7-3 17-7-3 10
            10 Norwich 19-6-2 19-6-2 NR

WEST REGION

Division III Record

Overall Record

Prev.

Adrian 24-4-0 24-4-0 1
            2 St. Norbert 23-4-1 23-4-1 2
            3 UW-Stevens Point 20-4-3 20-4-3 3
            Marian 20-7-1 20-7-1 4
            5 Augsburg 17-9-0 17-9-0 5

Comment

I would say Pool C pecking order is:

1. St. Norbert / Adrian loser
              2. Salve Regina
              3. U. of New England (if needed)
              4. Hobart (if needed)
              5. Oswego (over Marian due to large adv in RNK)

If U of New England or Hobart win, I think Oswego is in. If they both win, I don't think they'll be the last Pool C in...

I wouldn't mind seeing a couple of SUNY teams in Lake Placid!
              Steve
              Penn State Class of '95
              Plattsburgh State Class of '99

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

Comment

I dont follow this ranking stuff to closely, but looks like our pretty consistent year, may help us out in the end,depending on what happens this week/end..That said,any ideas on how to jump start the Nofense if we land a bid???

Comment

Wisconsin-Stevens Point will most likely get the Pool B bid, so expect Utica to get a Pool C bid if they win against Elmira.

Comment

• Originally posted by BKrosky View Post
                    Wisconsin-Stevens Point will most likely get the Pool B bid, so expect Utica to get a Pool C bid if they win against Elmira.
                    Salve gets one pool C, and then Hobart, UNE, trinity, Oswego, Geneseo all will get a pool C over Utica according to the east regional ranking today.

Comment

I know but this also isn't counting them winning their conference tournament over a tough Elmira team. Also I'd expect Geneseo to jump Oswego with a win against Fredonia.

Comment

• Originally posted by BKrosky View Post
                        And how did you come up with that?

Statistically speaking by the numbers, it wouldn't exactly help much. Rnk would still be lower (if Elmira where to somehow get ranked, would also Increase Oz's), nor is it helping their SOS (could actually drop it a hair), it increases their WIN and could balance their COP and that's about it. I don't see them jumping in rankings, but I guess it's possible to skip us and pick a conference champion which would not follow the process.

Comment

I know but this also isn't counting them winning their conference tournament over a tough Elmira team. Also I'd expect Geneseo to jump Oswego with a win against Fredonia.
                          After the last two weeks one thing has been proven.....Freddy ain't dead ! No gimmie for Genny !

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Comment

Nofense.
                            Dress Berry and Molinaro for a start.
                            For the love of god...Change the 1st PP unit plan/lineup. I would just change the plan of the 1st. PP unit, forget trying to set up herlihey and Gillispie for the 1 timer, it is not working, get the puck down along the goal line, then jam it (ala Emmerson on Saturday), or pass back to Zizek or across low slot to Gillispie. 2nd unit just have Emmersson park in front of net, put 2 defense on the 2nd PP unit, low slap shots. Herlihey and Gillispie are excellent in motion guys, that standing around high is not the place for them. You can also give Gillispie the green light to skate around with the puck after the PP is established in the offense zone, I noticed he did that a few times and he seem to find some better shooting lanes. Sorry I just had to vent, the PP is all wrong can't ED see that?

I might try tweaking the top lines, how about
                            huffnagle-Zizek-Gillispie
                            Molinario-Berry-Herlihey

Of course this is all mute... we may not even get another game.

Comment

What's worse, not getting in, or getting the gift and laying another stinker....

Comment

Geeny does not matter, if they win they get a A bid Fredonia gets nothing. If they lose they stay behind Oz. No C bid for Geeny they must win to get into tourney. Utica is an interesting question, but they (committee) did not move Oswego 1 spot for a loss, I can't see them moving Utica up much for a win.
                                Last edited by coasttocoast; 02-27-2018, 08:21 PM. Reason: typeo

Comment

Working...
                                X