WCHA Season Thread 2017-18: In Which We Try For Two Bids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: WCHA Season Thread 2017-18: In Which We Try For Two Bids

Good call. Didn't know that page existed.
    LSSU Alumni & Fan.

Still a work in progress, but please join us at the (unofficial) Laker Hockey Blog

Comment

So if Arizona State joins the fold and Oakland is serious about adding the sport, is the league looking at quasi-divisions?

West:
      UAA
      ASU
      BSU
      MSU
      MTU
      NMU

East:
      UAF
      UAH
      BGSU
      FSU
      LSSU
      OU

Each division gets two of the four tough trips. Each division gets two of the new programs. There's no clean way to keep the three UP schools together and try to minimize travel woes.

I welcome the assault on this prototype.

GFM
      Geof F. Morris
      UAH BSE MAE 2002
      UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
        So if Arizona State joins the fold and Oakland is serious about adding the sport, is the league looking at quasi-divisions?

West:
        UAA
        ASU
        BSU
        MSU
        MTU
        NMU

East:
        UAF
        UAH
        BGSU
        FSU
        LSSU
        OU

Each division gets two of the four tough trips. Each division gets two of the new programs. There's no clean way to keep the three UP schools together and try to minimize travel woes.

I welcome the assault on this prototype.

GFM
        Bill Robertson said that if the WCHA does expand to 12 there will be divisions.

If the WCHA gets Oakland and not Arizona State but a nearby team (Robert Morris, for example), then you can keep the three UP teams together.

SO MANY IFS, THOUGH.
        Michael Napier - UAH '97
        uahhockey.com

UAH Chargers Hockey
        U.S. National Club Champions - 1982, 1983, 1984
        NCAA Division II National Champions - 1996, 1998
        CHA Regular Season Champions - 2001, 2003
        CHA Tournament Champions - 2007, 2010

Comment

Oakland is a pipe dream

Comment

Originally posted by giwan View Post
            Oakland is a pipe dream
            I generally agree, but we all thought that Lindenwood was and they ended up coming through (although only with a women's program).

GFM
            Geof F. Morris
            UAH BSE MAE 2002
            UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by giwan View Post
              Oakland is a pipe dream
              That "study" would be similar to the Toronto Maple Leafs spending $1.4M to determine what it will take for them to win the cup. Everyone knows the answer before the study begins. I think it is just the NHL's way of making people think they care a little about US college hockey.

"Hey US colleges, here's is some money so you can create a study to determine if you have money to start a D-I hockey program..."

Hint: If the school had the money to start a D-I hockey team, they wouldn't need the NHL's money to fund a study to make that determination. If you couldn't fund your own study, then you're not going to end up with a team unless the NHL ends up being the $100M donor as well to set up your endowment.

Ryan
              Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
              https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
              Originally posted by geezer
              Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
              Originally posted by manurespreader
              ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

To be honest, if Oakland added D1 hockey there probably wouldn’t be a WCHA anymore. All the Michigan schools, BG, and maybe UAH could just go back to a CCHA-type conference to help reel back travel costs.

I never understood why the WCHA kept the league office in Minnesota when most of the programs are east of the Mississippi River.
                Co-Founder/Editor of BGSUHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by BGDrew View Post
                  To be honest, if Oakland added D1 hockey there probably wouldn’t be a WCHA anymore. All the Michigan schools, BG, and maybe UAH could just go back to a CCHA-type conference to help reel back travel costs.

I never understood why the WCHA kept the league office in Minnesota when most of the programs are east of the Mississippi River.
                  In this scenario, do you think the NCHC would dissolve, and the old WCHA would reform with the Alaska & Minnesota schools?
                  LSSU Alumni & Fan.

Still a work in progress, but please join us at the (unofficial) Laker Hockey Blog

Comment

I'm sure it has something to do with the fact that they still operate the Women's league as well...and Minnesota is relatively central for all teams in both leagues. On the women's side, there are no teams in Michigan...
                    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

• Originally posted by Deman View Post
                      In this scenario, do you think the NCHC would dissolve, and the old WCHA would reform with the Alaska & Minnesota schools?
                      It’s a matter of when, not if, Minnesota State bolts for the NCHC. I’m assuming Bemidji wouldn’t be far behind thanks to their budget and arena setup (that’s a compliment).

I don’t know the situation in Alaska, especially looking forward 5-10 years. There are always grumblings about how the travel subsidies were decreased after realignment, and I think universities are going to start looking at decreasing athletic budgets.
                      Co-Founder/Editor of BGSUHockey.com

Comment

• Originally posted by Deman View Post
                        ...and the old WCHA would reform with the Alaska & Minnesota schools?
                        Nope.

Comment

All the Michigan schools, BG, and maybe UAH could just go back to a CCHA-type conference to help reel back travel costs.
                          That scenario won't happen simply because two of the teams are in the Bi6(7). The Big Ten will run that conference into the ground and the member schools will drop hockey before they dissolve that conference. They've already shown that even if their own schools won't add hockey, they are going to keep the conference. They would rather grab teams from other conference than admit that they can't grow their conference from within their own ranks. Example #1 is Notre Dame and I would bet $1 that the next new Bi6(7) hockey conference member will be from outside the BigTen ranks as well. I like having BGSU in the WCHA, but honestly they are as good of a poach as any other team for the Big(6)7. They are a D-I school and they fit the geography pretty well also.
                          Ryan
                          Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                          https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                          Originally posted by geezer
                          Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                          Originally posted by manurespreader
                          ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                            That scenario won't happen simply because two of the teams are in the Bi6(7). The Big Ten will run that conference into the ground and the member schools will drop hockey before they dissolve that conference. They've already shown that even if their own schools won't add hockey, they are going to keep the conference. They would rather grab teams from other conference than admit that they can't grow their conference from within their own ranks. Example #1 is Notre Dame and I would bet $1 that the next new Bi6(7) hockey conference member will be from outside the BigTen ranks as well. I like having BGSU in the WCHA, but honestly they are as good of a poach as any other team for the Big(6)7. They are a D-I school and they fit the geography pretty well also.
                            Ryan
                            If they're poaching anyone I would think it'd be UND or Miami State long before they get to BG.

Comment

Originally posted by TalonsUpPuckDown View Post
                              If they're poaching anyone I would think it'd be UND or Miami State long before they get to BG.
                              I don't see it being Miami but you're right, they would be before BGSU.
                              Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                                I don't see it being Miami but you're right, they would be before BGSU.
                                I don't either, but don't tell them -- they think they're a perfect fit.

Comment

Working...
                                X