Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
Results 141 to 160 of 209

Thread: WCHA Season Thread 2017-18: In Which We Try For Two Bids

  1. #141
    Still upright
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    SE Michigan
    Posts
    6,101

    Re: WCHA Season Thread 2017-18: In Which We Try For Two Bids

    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

    It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

  2. #142

    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    45.52 N, 122.67 W
    Posts
    2,937
    Quote Originally Posted by AKSWF View Post
    Besides the hockey team, our other teams actually win.
    For an extra $6 million dollars on a D2 budget, they **** well better win.

  3. #143
    Michigan Tech Fan
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    2,134

    Re: WCHA Season Thread 2017-18: In Which We Try For Two Bids

    Quote Originally Posted by TalonsUpPuckDown View Post
    If they're poaching anyone I would think it'd be UND or Miami State long before they get to BG.
    The Bi6(7) won't get a team from the NCHC because anyone who has had some success in the NCHC would perceive moving to the Bi6(7) to be a step down/backwards. So really the only teams that might consider leaving would be someone who has had no success in the NCHC. CC would be about the only potential candidate and they won't burn that bridge and leave big brother Denver who brought them into the NCHC. (Although from a personal stand point, it would be cool to have three D-I teams all from different conferences in my back yard. It would be just like living on the East Coast.)
    Ryan
    Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
    http://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
    Quote Originally Posted by geezer View Post
    Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.

  4. #144
    Old Dirty Basterd Shirtless Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    16,128

    Re: WCHA Season Thread 2017-18: In Which We Try For Two Bids

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
    The Bi6(7) won't get a team from the NCHC because anyone who has had some success in the NCHC would perceive moving to the Bi6(7) to be a step down/backwards. So really the only teams that might consider leaving would be someone who has had no success in the NCHC. CC would be about the only potential candidate and they won't burn that bridge and leave big brother Denver who brought them into the NCHC. (Although from a personal stand point, it would be cool to have three D-I teams all from different conferences in my back yard. It would be just like living on the East Coast.)
    Ryan
    Sorry, but if North Dakota is offered, they take the deal, based on expected exposure of BTN.
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits...Posted by Yager on 12/18/09: Remember, remember, the 18th of October (2003).

    Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

  5. #145
    Coach Emeritus
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Enjoying the arrival of the Broadmoor Trophy in 2017
    Posts
    2,610

    Re: WCHA Season Thread 2017-18: In Which We Try For Two Bids

    Quote Originally Posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
    Sorry, but if North Dakota is offered, they take the deal, based on expected exposure of BTN.
    Considering BTN is only airing 21 games of the 84 scheduled in conference, that's an average of around 5 games for each school on TV. That's about the same number of times they're on CBS Sports Network - which also is available in Canada, unlike BTN. Exposure is not the reason they would go if offered, it's simply the money.

  6. #146
    Old Dirty Basterd Shirtless Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    16,128

    Re: WCHA Season Thread 2017-18: In Which We Try For Two Bids

    In other news, a guy name Will Sterrett came up with the idea of attending at least one game in each WCHA arena this season. His journey (which he's labeled "Chasing MacNaughton") starts Friday in Mankato. We asked him to write about it at THG so keep an eye out as he goes through this journey of traveling across the country to watch games at each WCHA building. His plan is to watch MTU @ MSU Friday and FSU @ BSU Saturday. We're excited to see where this takes us.
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits...Posted by Yager on 12/18/09: Remember, remember, the 18th of October (2003).

    Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

  7. #147
    gfmorris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Madison, AL, USA
    Posts
    7,596

    Re: WCHA Season Thread 2017-18: In Which We Try For Two Bids

    Quote Originally Posted by BGDrew View Post
    To be honest, if Oakland added D1 hockey there probably wouldn’t be a WCHA anymore. All the Michigan schools, BG, and maybe UAH could just go back to a CCHA-type conference to help reel back travel costs.
    If you're doing that, why would you involve UAH? Also, why is the biggest athletics department in the conference always the one crying poor about travel costs? (That's not meant to be an instigation, Drew.)

    GFM
    Geof F. Morris
    UAH BSE MAE 2002
    UAHHockey.com

  8. #148
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    142
    Quote Originally Posted by gfmorris View Post
    If you're doing that, why would you involve UAH? Also, why is the biggest athletics department in the conference always the one crying poor about travel costs? (That's not meant to be an instigation, Drew.)

    GFM
    “Biggest” athletic department that sponsors FBS football and is middle of the conference in hockey spending. Spoiler: FBS football costs a hell of a lot of money, especially when your last AD hired a football coach with only high school experience as a head coach.

    Despite popular opinion the sinks and commodes at the Slater Family Ice Arena are not made of gold. In fact I’m quite sure most of the them were around when Gino Cavallini won the Falcons the natty in ‘84.

    Also, I am not nor will I ever be a messenger or liaison for the university, athletic department, or hockey team. They have employees for that. But, please don’t scratch their Porsches and Bugattis in the parking lot.

    BG is like that really nice house out in the suburbs: the lawn looks great and they’ve got an in-ground pool. But, the owners are up to their eyeballs in mortgage payments.
    Last edited by BGDrew; 10-26-2017 at 11:34 PM.

  9. #149
    Michigan Tech Fan
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    2,134

    Re: WCHA Season Thread 2017-18: In Which We Try For Two Bids

    Quote Originally Posted by BGDrew View Post
    BG is like that really nice house out in the suburbs: the lawn looks great and they’ve got an in-ground pool. But, the owners are up to their eyeballs in mortgage payments.
    UAH fans be like:

    Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
    http://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
    Quote Originally Posted by geezer View Post
    Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.

  10. #150
    Old Dirty Basterd Shirtless Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    16,128

    Re: WCHA Season Thread 2017-18: In Which We Try For Two Bids

    Quote Originally Posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
    In other news, a guy name Will Sterrett came up with the idea of attending at least one game in each WCHA arena this season. His journey (which he's labeled "Chasing MacNaughton") starts Friday in Mankato. We asked him to write about it at THG so keep an eye out as he goes through this journey of traveling across the country to watch games at each WCHA building. His plan is to watch MTU @ MSU Friday and FSU @ BSU Saturday. We're excited to see where this takes us.
    Will's first story on Chasing MacNaughton: https://t.co/rcsgDGa2om
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits...Posted by Yager on 12/18/09: Remember, remember, the 18th of October (2003).

    Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

  11. #151
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Alaxsxaq
    Posts
    860
    Quote Originally Posted by Squarebanks View Post
    For an extra $6 million dollars on a D2 budget, they **** well better win.
    They have been for years, multiple Conference Championships, trips to the Elite Elight or better also.

    Doesn't help sell out the various events at the AAC doe. Anchorage is not a sports town.
    Last edited by AKSWF; 10-27-2017 at 02:35 PM.

  12. #152
    We'll be back. Hammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Shopping for a defenseman to replace Lidstrom
    Posts
    36,098

    Re: WCHA Season Thread 2017-18: In Which We Try For Two Bids

    Pardon my ignorance (and you may need a few minutes for that), but I haven't been paying too much attention as of late. What is the format for OT these days?
    FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR


    God, that was fun...

  13. #153
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Cary, NC
    Posts
    666

    Re: WCHA Season Thread 2017-18: In Which We Try For Two Bids

    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    Pardon my ignorance (and you may need a few minutes for that), but I haven't been paying too much attention as of late. What is the format for OT these days?
    If a WCHA game is tied after the regular 5-on-5 overtime, it's officially a tie and each team gets a point.

    They will then play 3-on-3 sudden death for five minutes. If a team scores, that team gets another point in the standings.

    If no one scores, they go into sudden death shootout to see who gets the second point.
    Michael Napier - UAH '97
    uahhockey.com

    UAH Chargers Hockey
    U.S. National Club Champions - 1982, 1983, 1984
    NCAA Division II National Champions - 1996, 1998
    CHA Regular Season Champions - 2001, 2003
    CHA Tournament Champions - 2007, 2010

  14. #154
    We'll be back. Hammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Shopping for a defenseman to replace Lidstrom
    Posts
    36,098

    Re: WCHA Season Thread 2017-18: In Which We Try For Two Bids

    Quote Originally Posted by UAHStatman View Post
    If a WCHA game is tied after the regular 5-on-5 overtime, it's officially a tie and each team gets a point.

    They will then play 3-on-3 sudden death for five minutes. If a team scores, that team gets another point in the standings.

    If no one scores, they go into sudden death shootout to see who gets the second point.
    Ah. Thank you. That explains why my Twitter feed was telling me that Ferris-Bemidji was in the 2nd OT.

    I actually like this format. I'm curious to see just how much it cuts down on shootouts.
    FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR


    God, that was fun...

  15. #155
    gfmorris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Madison, AL, USA
    Posts
    7,596

    Re: WCHA Season Thread 2017-18: In Which We Try For Two Bids

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
    UAH fans be like:

    I want to be mad, but I'm not.

    GFM
    Geof F. Morris
    UAH BSE MAE 2002
    UAHHockey.com

  16. #156
    gfmorris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Madison, AL, USA
    Posts
    7,596

    Re: WCHA Season Thread 2017-18: In Which We Try For Two Bids

    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    I actually like this format. I'm curious to see just how much it cuts down on shootouts.
    Last year, about half of the games that went OT were finished in 5v5, one-quarter in 3v3, and one-quarter in shootouts. Overtime games as a whole were down last year compared to 15-16.

    GFM
    Geof F. Morris
    UAH BSE MAE 2002
    UAHHockey.com

  17. #157
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    North East of Nymore
    Posts
    35

    Re: WCHA Season Thread 2017-18: In Which We Try For Two Bids

    Last year they were calling the clutch and grab. From what I've seen this year it's not being called.

  18. #158
    gfmorris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Madison, AL, USA
    Posts
    7,596

    Re: WCHA Season Thread 2017-18: In Which We Try For Two Bids

    Sorry to have been Cornell's speed bump. #PWR

    GFM
    Geof F. Morris
    UAH BSE MAE 2002
    UAHHockey.com

  19. #159
    beaverhockeyfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Garfield and Bemidji State, MN
    Posts
    3,805

    Re: WCHA Season Thread 2017-18: In Which We Try For Two Bids

    OUCH......

    2017-18 WCHA Non-Conference Schedule

    The WCHA has 65 non-conference games this year, 18 home, 33 road, and 14 neutral site. I am not including non-conference games between league opponents and exhibitions in this total.

    25 NCHC Games (3-9-3)
    15-17 Big10 Games (2-7-0)
    3-5 Hockey East Games (2-0-0)
    7 Atlantic Hockey Games (2-3-1)
    5 ECAC Games (1-2-0)
    5-7 Independent Games (0-0-0)
    4-6 Interleague Games (Not counted in league total)
    7 Exhibitions (Not counted in league or team total)
    TOTAL: 10-21-4

    ALABAMA-HUNTSVILLE (0-4-0)
    -2 at Notre Dame L 3-5, L 0-4
    -2 at Cornell L 1-5, L 0-3
    -2 at Arizona State

    ALASKA (2-3-1)
    -Simon Fraser (EXH) W 6-0
    -2 with Air Force L 2-3, T 1-1
    -2 at St. Cloud L 3-6, L 4-5 (OT)
    -at Alaska-Anchorage W 6-2
    -Alaska-Anchorage W 3-2

    ALASKA-ANCHORAGE (0-5-1)
    -Simon Fraser (EXH) W 6-1
    -2 with North Dakota T 1-1, L 2-3 (OT)
    -2 at Colorado College L 1-6, L 2-3
    -Alaska L 2-6
    -at Alaska L 2-3

    BEMIDJI STATE (2-1-1)
    -Minnesota-Duluth W 5-2
    -at Minnesota-Duluth T 0-0
    -2 with Air Force W 4-1, L 1-5
    -2 @ Princeton
    -North Dakota
    -at North Dakota

    BOWLING GREEN (1-2-0)
    -Wilfrid Laurier (EXH) W 3-1
    -US Under 18 Team (EXH) W 4-1
    -at Western Michigan L 1-3
    -Michigan State W 3-1
    -at Michigan State L 2-3
    -2 with Miami
    -Western Michigan
    -vs. Michigan (Detroit)
    -vs. Michigan State/Michigan Tech (Detroit)

    FERRIS STATE (2-2-0)
    -at Western Michigan L 1-6
    -Western Michigan W 3-2
    -2 at Mercyhurst W 3-2, L 1-4
    -2 at Michigan
    -at Michigan State
    -Michigan State

    LAKE SUPERIOR STATE (1-4-1)
    -Laurentian (EXH) W 3-2
    -Northern Michigan W 5-2
    -at Northern Michigan L 1-4
    -2 at Denver T 3-3, L 1-5
    -2 at Michigan State L 3-4, L 0-6
    -vs. Robert Morris (Pittsburgh)
    -vs. Arizona State/Providence (Pittsburgh)

    MICHIGAN TECH (2-1-0)
    -at Wisconsin L 2-3
    -vs. Union (Duluth) W 6-3
    -vs. Minnesota-Duluth (Duluth) W 4-3
    -vs. Michigan State (Detroit)
    -vs. Michigan/Bowling Green (Detroit)
    -vs. Boston College (Las Vegas)
    -vs. Arizona State/Northern Michigan (Las Vegas)
    -2 with Arizona State

    MINNESOTA STATE (2-1-0)
    -Regina (EXH) W 8-0
    -St. Cloud State L 0-4
    -2 at Boston University W 6-3, W 3-0
    -at Minnesota-Duluth
    -at St. Cloud State
    -Minnesota-Duluth
    -US Under 18 Team (EXH)

    NORTHERN MICHIGAN (2-2-0)
    -at Lake Superior State L 3-5
    -Lake Superior State W 4-1
    -2 vs. Wisconsin (Green Bay) W 5-4 (OT), L 0-4
    -2 at Nebraska-Omaha
    -vs. Arizona State (Las Vegas)
    -vs. Boston College/Michigan Tech (Las Vegas)
    Millsy

    NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
    FROZEN FOUR 2009!


    "Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

    BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
    NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
    NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
    NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
    NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
    Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
    Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

  20. #160
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Sault Ste. Siberia, MI
    Posts
    227

    Re: WCHA Season Thread 2017-18: In Which We Try For Two Bids

    Quote Originally Posted by gfmorris View Post
    Sorry to have been Cornell's speed bump. #PWR

    GFM
    Welp, at least you're not alone!
    Go Lakers!

    Check out the Laker Hockey Blog, it's good for you! http://lakerhockeyblog.com

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •