X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: WCHA Season Thread 2017-18: In Which We Try For Two Bids

Originally posted by HowardMBurgers View Post
    Bummer, but thanks for your response.
    I have been able to watch Tech games about 20 minutes after the finish of the actual game.

Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
    The hockey rivalry with BG would be greatly missed. Not to slight the rest of the WCHA, but when 2 schools have split all 8 series between them, it's a pretty good rivalry.
    I would also go if I was them. But having said that the landscape has changed somewhat. Right now Mankato plays non con games with most of those schools in that list. So if that's the case, how much travel does it really save? You swap the trip to Alaska for a trip to Arizona, and you swap a trip to Ferris for a trip to Kalamazoo. But you still have to find additional non con games and they are bound to be further away. So sure, it does seem like the smart move, but it might not save as much money as you think.

Third, if you are the WCHA, what do you do now? Do you go romance ASU with a better deal ? Or make any other significant changes? Also the addition of ASU has got to lower the strength of schedule of the nacho so would that reduce the power numbers they get?
    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
      Excluding Big 10 schools (since obviously we're not joining them, and they're not coming back to us), here are the 5 closest D1 schools to us, from closest to furthest:
      1. St. Cloud
      2. UMD
      3. UNO
      4. Bemidji
      5. NoDak

Come on, guys. What would you do?
      This is the correct answer. At this point, it's a necessity or apathy will (it already has to a degree) set in with the Maverick faithful.
      Mess with the bull, you get the horns.

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
        Third, if you are the WCHA, what do you do now? Do you go romance ASU with a better deal ? Or make any other significant changes? Also the addition of ASU has got to lower the strength of schedule of the nacho so would that reduce the power numbers they get?
        I'm not so sure it lowers their power numbers as much as you may think, with the assumption that an arena is planned for a few seasons out. This is what, their second year of existence? They've already brought home a trophy from Vegas, beating an upstart NMU that's come out of nowhere this season, and while the Huskies have been pretty good, I think most would say it's been a slightly disappointing year considering the last few seasons. But Tech did beat a ranked Boston College, so I think they are a better team than their record seems.

Now imagine ASU have a real arena and proper facilities (I'm honestly not aware of what they have now), and able to attract even bigger name recruits. I think the NCHC would take the initial risk for the future profit.

Now what does the WCHA do? I think you have to make another pass at them, why wouldn't you? I don't think most people would mind having another power school like ASU in the conference, the big problem is the travel. Again, I don't know the details of what was offered before, nor do I think anyone does, but unless they jacked up the travel subsidies they would have to cough up, I'm not sure what the league can really do to sweet talk them into joining the WCHA over the NCHC besides something like guaranteeing a playoff birth for the first X years.
        LSSU Alumni & Fan.

Still a work in progress, but please join us at the (unofficial) Laker Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Deman View Post
          I'm not so sure it lowers their power numbers as much as you may think, with the assumption that an arena is planned for a few seasons out. This is what, their second year of existence? They've already brought home a trophy from Vegas, beating an upstart NMU that's come out of nowhere this season, and while the Huskies have been pretty good, I think most would say it's been a slightly disappointing year considering the last few seasons. But Tech did beat a ranked Boston College, so I think they are a better team than their record seems.

Now imagine ASU have a real arena and proper facilities (I'm honestly not aware of what they have now), and able to attract even bigger name recruits. I think the NCHC would take the initial risk for the future profit.

Now what does the WCHA do? I think you have to make another pass at them, why wouldn't you? I don't think most people would mind having another power school like ASU in the conference, the big problem is the travel. Again, I don't know the details of what was offered before, nor do I think anyone does, but unless they jacked up the travel subsidies they would have to cough up, I'm not sure what the league can really do to sweet talk them into joining the WCHA over the NCHC besides something like guaranteeing a playoff birth for the first X years.
          I think the WCHA's move, in this hypothetical depends on what happens with the Alaska schools. They have said that hockey is safe at both schools, but I don't get the impression that everyone thinks that is actually the case. If we lose one of the Alaskas, then I think the WCHA stays at 8, at least in the short term. If everyone is comfortable with the stability of both of the Alaska schools, WCHA pulls in Robert Morris.
          Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by Bale View Post
            This is the correct answer. At this point, it's a necessity or apathy will (it already has to a degree) set in with the Maverick faithful.
            That apathy argument was exactly what the Denver people used to justify the establishment of the NCHC to their fans. The attendance was dropping and games against the lower teams, such as Tech, were poorly attended. Which justified changing to a league where there would be top competition coming in every home game. Except it didn't work out that way and attendance kept dropping or at least did not improve. So I would not expect to suddenly have more fans at games. Especially if your team is in 5 th place.

I still think it's the right decision but i'd be asking some questions before I took the leap. How many league games will there be. How will they be determined? What about the playoffs. etc. At least go in with your eyes open, since once you are in, you can't leave.
            MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
              I think the WCHA's move, in this hypothetical depends on what happens with the Alaska schools. They have said that hockey is safe at both schools, but I don't get the impression that everyone thinks that is actually the case. If we lose one of the Alaskas, then I think the WCHA stays at 8, at least in the short term. If everyone is comfortable with the stability of both of the Alaska schools, WCHA pulls in Robert Morris.
              Personally, I would prefer a league with 8 teams rather than 10 or more. You'd get a 28-game league schedule having a home and road series against each of the other 7 schools. I know it's a minor point but the unbalanced schede is a pet peeve of mine. I'd like to see every league opponent at the Mac every year.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Comment

If Mankato would bolt, that wlild put the Beavers in a tough spot with Tech being the closest conference foe......
                Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
                FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
                NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
                NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
                NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
                NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
                Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
                Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                  If everyone is comfortable with the stability of both of the Alaska schools, WCHA pulls in Robert Morris.
                  I've seen RMU floated in the past but I've always wondered why they would leave the AHC, especially since the scholarship situation has been resolved. What's in it for them? They seem to have a pretty good setup where they are.

Comment

Originally posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post
                    If Mankato would bolt, that wlild put the Beavers in a tough spot with Tech being the closest conference foe......
                    I always thought it made the most sense for Bemidji and MSU to go as a pair (especially since BG told them non merci when they inquired about our interest the last time around). With that scenario the oWCHA is just about back together (traded Minnesota and Wisconsin for Western and Miami State).

Comment

Originally posted by TalonsUpPuckDown View Post
                      I always thought it made the most sense for Bemidji and MSU to go as a pair (especially since BG told them non merci when they inquired about our interest the last time around). With that scenario the oWCHA is just about back together (traded Minnesota and Wisconsin for Western and Miami State).
                      Which is where this is going to end up. Meaning that the whole NCHC formation was completely pointless, which it was. Would have been much easier, and much less of a headache to just oust Bruce McLeod, and fix the leadership of the old WCHA than do what they ended up doing.
                      Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

• Originally posted by TalonsUpPuckDown View Post
                        And that's exactly what the founders of the NCHC wanted. The old WCHA minus money drains Anchorage and Tech.

Miami and Western are locked in thanks to outrageous breakup fees.
                        “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                          And that's exactly what the founders of the NCHC wanted. The old WCHA minus money drains Anchorage and Tech.

Miami and Western are locked in thanks to outrageous breakup fees.
                          Bemidji got into the WCHA by paying the $250,000 fee, building a new arena and forgoing any of the profit sharing for three years (my understanding is UNO did not have to forgo the profit sharing). They agreed, and once the three years were up, poof, you have the NCHC. Because of this, I don't see Denver, CC, UND, UNO and UMD really wanting them (I am leaving SCSU out of the mix as they were originally supposed to be a member of the WCHA until they went begging to the NCHC to allow them in).

I could see the break up fees being waved if the dominos fell right. If Mankato and BSU/ASU go to the NCHC, I could see the NCHC waiving those fees to allow Western and Miami out.
                          Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
                          FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
                          NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
                          NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
                          NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
                          NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
                          Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
                          Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

• Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                            I don’t see the WCHA going after Robert Morris. The only under 10 hour bus trips would be from Ferris & Bowling Green.
                            "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                              Not really. Remember St. Cloud State didn't get in until the league struck out on trying to land Notre Dame. The only reason UMD got in initially was that they wanted somebody to give them a footprint in Minnesota. Their big dream was always to be a television powerhouse, which hahahaha.
                              Originally posted by dicaslover
                              Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
                              Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by MaizeRage View Post
                                Not really. Remember St. Cloud State didn't get in until the league struck out on trying to land Notre Dame. The only reason UMD got in initially was that they wanted somebody to give them a footprint in Minnesota. Their big dream was always to be a television powerhouse, which hahahaha.
                                And, if I remember correctly, UMD had just won the 2011 Frozen Four.

Comment

Working...
                                X