WCHA Season Thread 2017-18: In Which We Try For Two Bids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
    I was somewhat surprised there was no DQ on the ice because it seemed like the refs were aware of Saulnier's history. The 10 minute penalty he got earlier was called within a millisecond of his 2 minute penalty, as though the refs already had the guy on a short leash, but he just couldn't help himself and had to say something stupid. So after the head contact in the last 30 seconds of a game not in doubt, I thought they would deliver the DQ themselves. Coach Hastings appeared livid that they didn't make that call, and his post-game comments, while measured, certainly indicated a whole lot of displeasure, as well as concern for Gerads.
    It is far better for the DQ to be added upon review by the league. I’ve seen players wrongfully DQ’d on ice. Those cannot be rescinded upon review and the penalties are cumulative. An example is a couple years ago, NMU at UAF. Dom Shine was given a DQ for contact to the head. It was his 2nd and meant an automatic 2 games. The review showed there was no contact to the head. But there was nothing that could be done. Furthermore, it meant that if he subsequently got another DQ, it would be subject to 3rd offense penalties, not 2nd offense.
    "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

• Re: WCHA Season Thread 2017-18: In Which We Try For Two Bids

Originally posted by Deman View Post
      I can hardly blame Corbett for playing him. He's tied at 3rd most points on the team. One of only 4 players above 10 points, his seven goals is tied with Rajic, and Kestner's 12.
      If McHugh and Larson were healthy, he'd probably be sitting in his dorm room.

GFM
      Geof F. Morris
      UAH BSE MAE 2002
      UAHHockey.com

Comment

It's always interesting when these types of comments are made because it's usually based on one or two games in which the reffing has been shaky. The numbers, frankly, don't bear out that opinion. MSU is the 3rd most penalized team in the conference. I'm not sure how that translates into MSU being given too many gifts. I suspect the bad reffing in the Saturday night MSU/MTU game is stuck in your craw (and, by the way, I don't blame you for that as it was atrocious).
        Mess with the bull, you get the horns.

Comment

Watching the Bowling Green feed on WCHA.tv. I will say they have a nice crisp, clear feed. But they need to work on which camera to use. They are relying way to much on the low corner cameras and not utilizing the high center ice one enough. Low corners are nice for when there is some action in the corners, but not wjen a team is zipping the puck around on offense or when the puck is at the other end oc the ice. It leads to an almost nausious feeling as the camera has to move so much and so fast.
          I've also noticed the odd camera choices at BG home games by the technical director at the video board. I think this is because these positions, like the announcers, are all being manned by BGSU students this year. In past years some of the WCHA.tv feeds from BG were of the cable broadcasts on BCSN. This meant that you obviously had paid professionals handling these job functions. I have not noticed any BCSN broadcasts on WCHA.tv this year. The have all been by BG or WBGU..........their person on the video board needs some more seasoning that is apparent.

Thus the big rub with paying for WCHA.tv.....many of the league schools broadcasts are from student interns who are just learning the ropes and the broadcast quality varies greatly from school to school.

Comment

Originally posted by bravohankins View Post
            I've also noticed the odd camera choices at BG home games by the technical director at the video board. I think this is because these positions, like the announcers, are all being manned by BGSU students this year. In past years some of the WCHA.tv feeds from BG were of the cable broadcasts on BCSN. This meant that you obviously had paid professionals handling these job functions. I have not noticed any BCSN broadcasts on WCHA.tv this year. The have all been by BG or WBGU..........their person on the video board needs some more seasoning that is apparent.

Thus the big rub with paying for WCHA.tv.....many of the league schools broadcasts are from student interns who are just learning the ropes and the broadcast quality varies greatly from school to school.
            Yeah, Bemidji has had some issues that last couple of home games as well, and they went away from the Lakeland Public TV broadcasts from last year to students this year. Even using the High Center Ice camera, they zoom in too tight (I made a comment that we don't need to see the stitching on the sweaters) and have to move the camera way to much when the puck is in an offensive zone. You should be able to see most of the offensive zone when using that camera. The last game I watched, it started out good, but then during one of the intermissions, they zoomed back in again. They also liked to use the low corner cameras to try and follow the action.

It is nice to have the various camera angles and everything, but they have to be used properly to have a quality broadcast.
            Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
            FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
            NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
            NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
            NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
            NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
            Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
            Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

• Originally posted by Bale View Post
              It's always interesting when these types of comments are made because it's usually based on one or two games in which the reffing has been shaky. The numbers, frankly, don't bear out that opinion. MSU is the 3rd most penalized team in the conference. I'm not sure how that translates into MSU being given too many gifts. I suspect the bad reffing in the Saturday night MSU/MTU game is stuck in your craw (and, by the way, I don't blame you for that as it was atrocious).
              I'll base it on the entire season, so far. Many of these officials aren't qualified to officiate a PeeWee game.

Comment

• Originally posted by pdt1081 View Post
                I'll base it on the entire season, so far. Many of these officials aren't qualified to officiate a PeeWee game.
                So please tell us, in your infinite hockey wisdom, where you find enough people who are more qualified and have the ability to take nearly every Thursday & Friday off their primary jobs from October to March?

Comment

• Originally posted by pdt1081 View Post
                  Have you watched more than 2 msu games?

Comment

• Originally posted by RapidsCity View Post
                    So please tell us, in your infinite hockey wisdom, where you find enough people who are more qualified and have the ability to take nearly every Thursday & Friday off their primary jobs from October to March?
                    Open the wallet. It's the only choice. Can't afford it, maybe it's time to start asking why you're in the hockey business. The personnel currently employed are obviously not working out very well. When you have players being injured as a result of un-penalized, illegal hits, and other legal hits being called for penalties or 5 minute majors you have a big problem.

Serious question: How does a player get called for "interference" when he checks the player in control of the puck? And I'm not talking making the check simultaneously to the player getting the puck. I've seen it called multiple times.

Originally posted by Bale View Post
                    Have you watched more than 2 msu games?
                    I've actually watched 3, but only because they were playing the team I follow.

Comment

Originally posted by Bale View Post
                      That's a fair point, but it's one thing for a ref to make a bad call or two after calling a relatively even/good game. They're only human, and they're reffing a high-speed sport.

But more than once this season, I've seen a ref looking straight at two players when one spears the other, or offers a pretty good slash, yet nothing is called even though he was looking straight on just feet away. It's things like this that make me question the ability of some of the zebras.
                      LSSU Alumni & Fan.

Still a work in progress, but please join us at the (unofficial) Laker Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Deman View Post
                        That's a fair point, but it's one thing for a ref to make a bad call or two after calling a relatively even/good game. They're only human, and they're reffing a high-speed sport.

But more than once this season, I've seen a ref looking straight at two players when one spears the other, or offers a pretty good slash, yet nothing is called even though he was looking straight on just feet away. It's things like this that make me question the ability of some of the zebras.
                        I don't disagree, but this is a recurring theme with every conference, every year. We can sit and argue about how awful the officiating is, but I'm not sure it's that big of an issue. Yes, there are games this year that people (including me) have left severely disappointed with the refs. I'm just not certain that it's as bad as everyone argues that it is. We all also need to remember that what they see is from a different vantage point than we see it. Sometimes it's just not as bad as we think it is.

Comment

This week's WCHA Column is up

http://www.uscho.com/2017/12/20/sant...chorage-sweep/
                          Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
                          FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
                          NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
                          NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
                          NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
                          NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
                          Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
                          Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

Just curious, has anyone here that's complaining actually officiated a game at any point in the past 10 years? Just curious.

You don't become a D-1 official by accident.
                            It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

• Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
                              Just curious, has anyone here that's complaining actually officiated a game at any point in the past 10 years? Just curious.

You don't become a D-1 official by accident.
                              The best refs and the best coaches are always in the stands.
                              "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

• Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                                The best refs and the best coaches are always in the stands.
                                Correction...they are on internet message boards.
                                “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Working...
                                X