WCHA Season Thread 2017-18: In Which We Try For Two Bids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BGDrew View Post
    It’s a matter of when, not if, Minnesota State bolts for the NCHC. I’m assuming Bemidji wouldn’t be far behind thanks to their budget and arena setup (that’s a compliment).

I don’t know the situation in Alaska, especially looking forward 5-10 years. There are always grumblings about how the travel subsidies were decreased after realignment, and I think universities are going to start looking at decreasing athletic budgets.
    We’ve had decreasing athletic budgets for years now. Just wait until UAA is forced to halve their budget to match UAF...there will be some major howling.
    “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

• Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
      That scenario won't happen simply because two of the teams are in the Bi6(7). The Big Ten will run that conference into the ground and the member schools will drop hockey before they dissolve that conference. They've already shown that even if their own schools won't add hockey, they are going to keep the conference. They would rather grab teams from other conference than admit that they can't grow their conference from within their own ranks. Example #1 is Notre Dame and I would bet $1 that the next new Bi6(7) hockey conference member will be from outside the BigTen ranks as well. I like having BGSU in the WCHA, but honestly they are as good of a poach as any other team for the Big(6)7. They are a D-I school and they fit the geography pretty well also.
      Ryan
      Apologies for not being clearer, I meant the non-Big 10 Michigan programs.
      Co-Founder/Editor of BGSUHockey.com

Comment

• Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
        We’ve had decreasing athletic budgets for years now. Just wait until UAA is forced to halve their budget to match UAF...there will be some major howling.
        Besides the hockey team, our other teams actually win.
        Just to be clear. My disinterest in this team became of the Uni's disinterest. Without the success of the hockey team, the other teams would not be where they are. Way to pay back the hockey team. **** UAA.

Comment

• Re: WCHA Season Thread 2017-18: In Which We Try For Two Bids

Looks like the Beavers will be without Zach Whitecloud for the Mankato series November 10 and 11. Congrats to Zach on being named to Team Canada for a pre-Olympic Tournament

http://www.bemidjipioneer.com/sports...nt-reports-say
          Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
          FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
          NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
          NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
          NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
          NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
          Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
          Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

http://cornellsun.com/2017/10/25/lin...ersus-alabama/
            MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

http://cornellsun.com/2017/10/25/rea...ma-huntsville/
              MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

• Originally posted by AKSWF View Post
                Besides the hockey team, our other teams actually win.
                For an extra $6 million dollars on a D2 budget, they **** well better win.
                “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Originally posted by TalonsUpPuckDown View Post
                  If they're poaching anyone I would think it'd be UND or Miami State long before they get to BG.
                  The Bi6(7) won't get a team from the NCHC because anyone who has had some success in the NCHC would perceive moving to the Bi6(7) to be a step down/backwards. So really the only teams that might consider leaving would be someone who has had no success in the NCHC. CC would be about the only potential candidate and they won't burn that bridge and leave big brother Denver who brought them into the NCHC. (Although from a personal stand point, it would be cool to have three D-I teams all from different conferences in my back yard. It would be just like living on the East Coast.)
                  Ryan
                  Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                  https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                  Originally posted by geezer
                  Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                  Originally posted by manurespreader
                  ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                    The Bi6(7) won't get a team from the NCHC because anyone who has had some success in the NCHC would perceive moving to the Bi6(7) to be a step down/backwards. So really the only teams that might consider leaving would be someone who has had no success in the NCHC. CC would be about the only potential candidate and they won't burn that bridge and leave big brother Denver who brought them into the NCHC. (Although from a personal stand point, it would be cool to have three D-I teams all from different conferences in my back yard. It would be just like living on the East Coast.)
                    Ryan
                    Sorry, but if North Dakota is offered, they take the deal, based on expected exposure of BTN.
                    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                      Sorry, but if North Dakota is offered, they take the deal, based on expected exposure of BTN.
                      Considering BTN is only airing 21 games of the 84 scheduled in conference, that's an average of around 5 games for each school on TV. That's about the same number of times they're on CBS Sports Network - which also is available in Canada, unlike BTN. Exposure is not the reason they would go if offered, it's simply the money.

Comment

In other news, a guy name Will Sterrett came up with the idea of attending at least one game in each WCHA arena this season. His journey (which he's labeled "Chasing MacNaughton") starts Friday in Mankato. We asked him to write about it at THG so keep an eye out as he goes through this journey of traveling across the country to watch games at each WCHA building. His plan is to watch MTU @ MSU Friday and FSU @ BSU Saturday. We're excited to see where this takes us.
                        Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by BGDrew View Post
                          To be honest, if Oakland added D1 hockey there probably wouldn’t be a WCHA anymore. All the Michigan schools, BG, and maybe UAH could just go back to a CCHA-type conference to help reel back travel costs.
                          If you're doing that, why would you involve UAH? Also, why is the biggest athletics department in the conference always the one crying poor about travel costs? (That's not meant to be an instigation, Drew.)

GFM
                          Geof F. Morris
                          UAH BSE MAE 2002
                          UAHHockey.com

Comment

• Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                            If you're doing that, why would you involve UAH? Also, why is the biggest athletics department in the conference always the one crying poor about travel costs? (That's not meant to be an instigation, Drew.)

GFM
                            “Biggest” athletic department that sponsors FBS football and is middle of the conference in hockey spending. Spoiler: FBS football costs a hell of a lot of money, especially when your last AD hired a football coach with only high school experience as a head coach.

Despite popular opinion the sinks and commodes at the Slater Family Ice Arena are not made of gold. In fact I’m quite sure most of the them were around when Gino Cavallini won the Falcons the natty in ‘84.

Also, I am not nor will I ever be a messenger or liaison for the university, athletic department, or hockey team. They have employees for that. But, please don’t scratch their Porsches and Bugattis in the parking lot.

BG is like that really nice house out in the suburbs: the lawn looks great and they’ve got an in-ground pool. But, the owners are up to their eyeballs in mortgage payments.
                            Last edited by BGDrew; 10-26-2017, 10:34 PM.
                            Co-Founder/Editor of BGSUHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by BGDrew View Post
                              BG is like that really nice house out in the suburbs: the lawn looks great and they’ve got an in-ground pool. But, the owners are up to their eyeballs in mortgage payments.
                              UAH fans be like:

Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                              https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                              Originally posted by geezer
                              Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                              Originally posted by manurespreader
                              ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                                In other news, a guy name Will Sterrett came up with the idea of attending at least one game in each WCHA arena this season. His journey (which he's labeled "Chasing MacNaughton") starts Friday in Mankato. We asked him to write about it at THG so keep an eye out as he goes through this journey of traveling across the country to watch games at each WCHA building. His plan is to watch MTU @ MSU Friday and FSU @ BSU Saturday. We're excited to see where this takes us.
                                Will's first story on Chasing MacNaughton: https://t.co/rcsgDGa2om

Comment

Working...
                                X