Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: WCHA Season Thread 2017-18: In Which We Try For Two Bids

Originally posted by devildog View Post
    Guess that's why we have the same thing about Tech in the NMU stalls.
    Because you got the idea when you were on Tech's campus because they weren't afraid to sell tickets to the opposing team's fans?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Comment

I've said my piece repeatedly on Facebook. No sense beating a dead horse over here (although the typing is cathartic).

Fans, both *in arena* and online were told that online sales would take place immediately following the outcome of the MTU/MSU game. People waited around at the Berry for the conclusion of the MTU/MSU game waiting. Tech scores, and the NMU website immediately goes down from demand. Ticket sellers, still inside the BEC say "Online sales only until 8am tomorrow."

Wake up to find a Tweet from NMU saying that it's in-person sales only, no phone or online sales.

Well that's pretty shi**y to wake up to after you talked with three fellow alumni families planning on driving from Chicagoland up for the game.

Okay. Try and find someone waiting in line. Oh, there are limits of 10 tickets per customer? Great, I need 20, four for immediate family only. Found a friend willing to get four extra.

Friend gets told they're at standing room only.

Gets told after standing in line for two hours to go home they're sold out.

Meanwhile, at 8:30 MQT time I call the alumni office to see if they had a block of tickets set aside for this occasion. Because what would be better marketing for alums than to come home, see the remodeled campus, make a donation, and see the Championship game? Person who answered was incredulous that they would do such a thing, and transferred my call to the athletic department.

I feel for the MTU fans, because out-of-state alumni of Northern were sh** upon just as hard.

Here's one for you. An alum of the NMU hockey program was ready to buy a plane ticket from ALBERTA, CANADA for this game, only to also be shut out from getting game tickets.

My frustration comes from the handling, on NMU's part, of the sales. Shortly after 8am ET, extra tickets were already being posted for sale on Facebook for insane markups. Also, there are reports of people claiming they were other season ticket holders names just to get additional tickets. No ID's were checked. Zoo's are more controlled than this fiasco.
      “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
        I've said my piece repeatedly on Facebook. No sense beating a dead horse over here (although the typing is cathartic).

Fans, both *in arena* and online were told that online sales would take place immediately following the outcome of the MTU/MSU game. People waited around at the Berry for the conclusion of the MTU/MSU game waiting. Tech scores, and the NMU website immediately goes down from demand. Ticket sellers, still inside the BEC say "Online sales only until 8am tomorrow."

Wake up to find a Tweet from NMU saying that it's in-person sales only, no phone or online sales.

Well that's pretty shi**y to wake up to after you talked with three fellow alumni families planning on driving from Chicagoland up for the game.

Okay. Try and find someone waiting in line. Oh, there are limits of 10 tickets per customer? Great, I need 20, four for immediate family only. Found a friend willing to get four extra.

Friend gets told they're at standing room only.

Gets told after standing in line for two hours to go home they're sold out.

Meanwhile, at 8:30 MQT time I call the alumni office to see if they had a block of tickets set aside for this occasion. Because what would be better marketing for alums than to come home, see the remodeled campus, make a donation, and see the Championship game? Person who answered was incredulous that they would do such a thing, and transferred my call to the athletic department.

I feel for the MTU fans, because out-of-state alumni of Northern were sh** upon just as hard.

Here's one for you. An alum of the NMU hockey program was ready to buy a plane ticket from ALBERTA, CANADA for this game, only to also be shut out from getting game tickets.

My frustration comes from the handling, on NMU's part, of the sales. Shortly after 8am ET, extra tickets were already being posted for sale on Facebook for insane markups. Also, there are reports of people claiming they were other season ticket holders names just to get additional tickets. No ID's were checked. Zoo's are more controlled than this fiasco.
        I feel worse for you guys. As a Tech fan, I kind of have to expect some of this, as the away team. But to do this to their own Alumni is a special kind of ****ty.
        Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

I admittedly posted what I did earlier before seeing how poorly handled this was by NMU. They are to be shamed for that, especially for screwing season ticket holders. It's bush-league to tell fans one thing on Sunday night and do another thing on Monday morning.

I'm hopeful that the league will do the following for 2018-19:
          1. Mandate that 20% of ticket allocations go to the road school for distribution. If the home team's fans want to do phone and online orders from the visiting school? Cool.
          2. Mandate that the home school's season-ticket holders have priority on their seats, 1-for-1, through Tuesday noon of sales.
          3. Ameliorate scalping concerns with reasonable measures on bulk ticket buys. The simplest would be <= 10 tickets per driver's license number.

Failure to implement these prevents you from getting home ice for the next season. Yep, if you're #1, you travel to #8.

The first item solves the butthurt. The other two hopefully solve the root issues of NMU's missteps.

GFM
          Geof F. Morris
          UAH BSE MAE 2002
          UAHHockey.com

Comment

I’m not saying this to be flippant or a troll, but equal blame lies with the member schools that allowed today’s events to happen. If each program had set specific to the T procedures to be used regardless of the hosting school this wouldn’t have been a problem.

I hope they discuss this in Florida.
            Co-Founder/Editor of BGSUHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by BGDrew View Post
              I’m not saying this to be flippant or a troll, but equal blame lies with the member schools that allowed today’s events to happen. If each program had set specific to the T procedures to be used regardless of the hosting school this wouldn’t have been a problem.

Very goid point, but as with anything, you can't forsee every ****ty act someone will take to screw over someone else. Laws are passed as a reaction to someone being a dick to someone else. It just so happens NMU is the dick in this scenario.

Comment

Originally posted by BGDrew View Post

I'm sure they will. I'll also say i'm pretty sure NMU had no earthly idea that they would be hosting this event. Their problem is they were totally unprepared.
                MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

NMU's season ticket holders have until 5pm Wednesday to claim their seats. No decision on what happens to those seats (if any remain) has been made.

Straight from the horse's mouth, they said they don't know if they'll do walk ups day of or first come first serve Thursday morning.

(I may be mis-remembering and it's Tuesday at 5 / Wednesday AM).

I'd cap ticket sales at six / person. Ten is kinda ridiculous unless you have a group. The only reason my wife and I needed so many as we were acting as a liaison for friends who were unable to try for tickets but could have gone to the game.

There are a lot of things that went wrong. The middle of the night switch makes me most sour.

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

• Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                    I'm sure they will. I'll also say i'm pretty sure NMU had no earthly idea that they would be hosting this event. Their problem is they were totally unprepared.
                    Exactly. If you saw the attendance numbers all season, you'd have thought plenty of tickets would be available.

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                      As a #2 seed going into the playoffs you better have an earthly idea that you might be hosting the championship game. If they were unprepared, it is because they are totally incompetent.

Comment

Originally posted by MTUHuskies View Post
                        As a #2 seed going into the playoffs you better have an earthly idea that you might be hosting the championship game. If they were unprepared, it is because they are totally incompetent.

YEP. But i'll bet at least half the WCHA would be in the same boat. Consider what would happen if Ferris hosted.
                        MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                          YEP. But i'll bet at least half the WCHA would be in the same boat. Consider what would happen if Ferris hosted.
                          I'd be willing to bet last week BG was even thinking about what would need to be done in case they ended up hosting Tech.

Not expecting it is no excuse.

Comment

Just curious, how did NMU sell tickets for the first two rounds?

Comment

• Originally posted by MTUHuskies View Post
                              Just curious, how did NMU sell tickets for the first two rounds?

Friday/Saturday only, available online, phone, or in person.
                              Box office at the Berry opened immediately after both game two's for Sunday's games for in-person sales; online went live shortly thereafter.

Following the conclusion of the NMU/BGSU game, the box office remained closed while the MTU/MSU game was playing on the scoreboard inside the BEC. Fans stayed around to watch and to potentially purchase tickets.

Flyers were posted inside the building stating online sales would start immediately following the conclusion of the Mankato game. Social media, even our own play-by-play guy kept repeating that online ticket sales would start immediately following Mankato.

Tech burries the OT winner and fans go toward the BEC box office to be told that no in-person sales would take place until 8am Monday, but go online for tickets. Those at the BEC still are trying to now purchase tickets on their smart phones.

Tickets.NMU.edu crashes, giving an error for an hour.

In the middle of the fu**ing night, NMU Tweets/Facebook's that tickets are in-person only. No online sales, no phone calls.

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by MTUHuskies View Post
                                If I was Mankato I'd be ****ed off that I lost. Now that they are out of the WCHA tournament, lick your wounds from a hard fought 3 game series. Rest up and get those nagging injuries healed. Use this week to work on your game so you can focus on your opponents next week.

They dont have to be happy about it, but they can use the off week to their advantage.

As a fan, I'm ****ed off. All the credit to Tech for winning this series, but that wasn't the team that I watched all year long. I'm not sure if that was because of Tech, poor play or both. My guess it was a little bit of both. It looked to me like Tech knew that they NEEDED to win and MSU thought they were going to roll over the Huskies. Tech punched MSU in the mouth on Saturday night and made it a physical game and MSU didn't respond well. I'm ****ed off because these seniors should know better. They were freshmen when MSU lost to RIT and they should know better than to let their team take anyone lightly. I'm also a little bit shocked. Right or wrong, I don't think anyone in Mankato expected this. The team ran roughshod over the conference this year and I don't think anyone expected to lose 2 out of 3, let alone at home. I'm still a little shocked by this weekend to be honest.

Now, I AM glad this happened now rather than in 2 weeks. I'm certain that Hastings was upset over this weekend and is going to make sure the team knows how to respond. That doesn't mean we will win our next game, but I would be shocked if they don't play well. The Saturday game is the one that sticks in my craw. They were messy, didn't take care of the puck and never really did the little things that every team needs to do to go on a run.
                                Mess with the bull, you get the horns.

Comment

Working...
                                X