WCHA Season Thread 2017-18: In Which We Try For Two Bids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: WCHA Season Thread 2017-18: In Which We Try For Two Bids

Wouldn’t it be great to have two in the final four? Ryan lambert would have apoplexy
    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

• Originally posted by Qball319 View Post
      This is not really an important topic, but 2 points:

1) Unless the WCHA has changed the rule since 03-04, visting bands were not allowed at regular season WCHA games. I had talked to them about this when the MTU Pep Band was trying to start going to away games. We were able to get to a couple of Non-WCHA games but that was all.

2) The NMU athletic department refused to allow the MTU Pep Band into any event at NMU starting in the mid 90's through 2004. We had requested to even do an exchange for hockey, basketball, football, and even volleyball. So to say MTU denied the NMU band to opportunity to play doesn't really mean much.
      Now for the championship it is mandated that the visitors band is in. I like that both bands will be there. It adds so much to the atmosphere.
      "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
        Now for the championship it is mandated that the visitors band is in. I like that both bands will be there. It adds so much to the atmosphere.
        Northern has a band?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
        Last edited by MTUHuskies; 03-15-2018, 12:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
          Ryan lambert would have apoplexy
          Who?

Comment

Originally posted by Qball319 View Post
            1) Unless the WCHA has changed the rule since 03-04, visting bands were not allowed at regular season WCHA games. I had talked to them about this when the MTU Pep Band was trying to start going to away games. We were able to get to a couple of Non-WCHA games but that was all.

2) The NMU athletic department refused to allow the MTU Pep Band into any event at NMU starting in the mid 90's through 2004.
            The rule regarding visiting bands at regular season games goes back much farther than 2003. I started at Tech in 1992 and already at that time the band could not perform at road games. It was by league rule at that time as well because plenty of band members traveled on their own dime to road games but could not bring instruments into the arena. We were allowed to play at neutral site conference games such as the Final Five and the school paid our way. Although during my time, the band only played at the Final Five when Tech was playing.

I know the ban on Tech's band at NMU didn't apply to ALL sports as we played at the Yooper dome during my time, and even did a half-time show one year. Yeah astro-turf! Throw your drumsticks at the ground and see how high they bounce. At first we tried throwing flute players into the turf to see how high they would bounce but the director put a stop to that so then we resorted to just throwing drum sticks. Drummers are easily amused...

Ryan
            Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
            https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
            Originally posted by geezer
            Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
            Originally posted by manurespreader
            ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

I have video evidence of the Tech Pep Band playing at Lakeview Arena in 1982. Look above the far left corner at about 0:18 and you'll see them. I have yet to find evidence in subsequent years.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1IG...8mT5AyQgQauoQE
              Last edited by John J. MacInnes; 03-15-2018, 08:54 AM.

Comment

Not my favourite sweaters, but I loved those long Cooperall shells.

Comment

Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
                  I have video evidence of the Tech Pep Band playing at Lakeview Arena in 1982.
                  I could watch vintage footage like this all day. Great stuff and soooo helpful for research purposes. Thanks for posting.
                  Ryan

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                    I could watch vintage footage like this all day. Great stuff and soooo helpful for research purposes. Thanks for posting.
                    Ryan
                    I agree, but I've already wasted a lot of work time this week getting distracted by hockey. If JJM keeps these videos coming I might get fired! [emoji45]

Comment

I've already wasted a lot of time this week getting distracted by work. If JJM keeps these videos coming I might get fired and have more time to watch vintage hockey videos!
                      Ryan

Comment

I'd like to state that I got a phone call from NMU regarding the ticket sales. It was a good chat, as I was able to learn the details of why things changed instead of my assumptions, and I was able to share the frustration felt on the "other end" of those changes.

There was no malicious intent to screw people over. There was no premeditated lying.

There were lots of honest mistakes made that were realized too late into the process. Each "Oh Sh**" moment was too late to slow the process. The unique-ness of hosting the biggest rival for the biggest game, while planned for, still had unexpected details that no one had foresaw.

Is there any single plan that can make everyone happy? No, but NMU has taken a lot of lumps for this and is looking into working to correct this for themselves and future hosts around the league. Ideas floated on the forum on how to space out ticket availability are being looked into moving forward.

Obviously this doesn't fix what happened Monday, but the University, specifically those who made the decision overnight, have started reaching out to those affected.

It's much more than I was expecting to hear; I now feel the combination of honest errors just made things go from bad to exhaustively frustrating way faster than it ever should have.
                        “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                          I'd like to state that I got a phone call from NMU regarding the ticket sales. It was a good chat, as I was able to learn the details of why things changed instead of my assumptions, and I was able to share the frustration felt on the "other end" of those changes.

There was no malicious intent to screw people over. There was no premeditated lying.

There were lots of honest mistakes made that were realized too late into the process. Each "Oh Sh**" moment was too late to slow the process. The unique-ness of hosting the biggest rival for the biggest game, while planned for, still had unexpected details that no one had foresaw.

Is there any single plan that can make everyone happy? No, but NMU has taken a lot of lumps for this and is looking into working to correct this for themselves and future hosts around the league. Ideas floated on the forum on how to space out ticket availability are being looked into moving forward.

Obviously this doesn't fix what happened Monday, but the University, specifically those who made the decision overnight, have started reaching out to those affected.

It's much more than I was expecting to hear; I now feel the combination of honest errors just made things go from bad to exhaustively frustrating way faster than it ever should have.
                          Good to hear. Sounds like they are at least owning up to the errors that were made. Good on them.

Comment

Originally posted by MTUHuskies View Post
                            Good to hear. Sounds like they are at least owning up to the errors that were made. Good on them.

Agreed. And none of us have asked to fix this this year. It's done and dusted.

Let's just make sure it happens better in the future.
                            MTU Hockey fan since I was carried to a game in 1986 - for those counting... that's a lot of depressing hockey. Still love it.

Surrounded by Badger Red in Wisconsin. Such an ugly color, but the beer and cheese are delicious...

2014-15 WCHA (*Regular season portion) Pick-em Champion (**Forgeting a Week Methodology)

Comment

Aparch, I'm glad they reached out to you for damage control, but I'm curious about a couple things that maybe you could shed some light on.

First: why did they shut down online and/or phone sales?? I believe that was the number one issue people were frustrated with.

Two: why not have in person sales a day later?? This is the part that "appears" malicious by nmu... Anyone can see that any die-hard tech fan that was in Mankato had zero chance to get from Mankato to Marquette to get in line.

Third: Listening to our coaches show on Tuesday, he was very candid on how the tech AD had to fight with nmu to even get the tickets the wcha mandates we get and the allowance of the pep band which is also allowed by the wcha.

I'm curious if you have any insight to those specific issues after talking to nmu.

Comment

• Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                                The rule regarding visiting bands at regular season games goes back much farther than 2003. I started at Tech in 1992 and already at that time the band could not perform at road games. It was by league rule at that time as well because plenty of band members traveled on their own dime to road games but could not bring instruments into the arena. We were allowed to play at neutral site conference games such as the Final Five and the school paid our way. Although during my time, the band only played at the Final Five when Tech was playing.

I know the ban on Tech's band at NMU didn't apply to ALL sports as we played at the Yooper dome during my time, and even did a half-time show one year. Yeah astro-turf! Throw your drumsticks at the ground and see how high they bounce. At first we tried throwing flute players into the turf to see how high they would bounce but the director put a stop to that so then we resorted to just throwing drum sticks. Drummers are easily amused...

Ryan
                                The 2003 came only from when we tried to get permission to visit others. I had no idea how long that was in place.

Yes, drummers are easily amused.

Comment

Working...
                                X