Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: WCHA Season Thread 2017-18: In Which We Try For Two Bids

Originally posted by Bale View Post
    As a fan, I'm ****ed off. All the credit to Tech for winning this series, but that wasn't the team that I watched all year long. I'm not sure if that was because of Tech, poor play or both. My guess it was a little bit of both. It looked to me like Tech knew that they NEEDED to win and MSU thought they were going to roll over the Huskies. Tech punched MSU in the mouth on Saturday night and made it a physical game and MSU didn't respond well. I'm ****ed off because these seniors should know better. They were freshmen when MSU lost to RIT and they should know better than to let their team take anyone lightly. I'm also a little bit shocked. Right or wrong, I don't think anyone in Mankato expected this. The team ran roughshod over the conference this year and I don't think anyone expected to lose 2 out of 3, let alone at home. I'm still a little shocked by this weekend to be honest.

Now, I AM glad this happened now rather than in 2 weeks. I'm certain that Hastings was upset over this weekend and is going to make sure the team knows how to respond. That doesn't mean we will win our next game, but I would be shocked if they don't play well. The Saturday game is the one that sticks in my craw. They were messy, didn't take care of the puck and never really did the little things that every team needs to do to go on a run.
    Personally I don't think anyone should be shocked at the result. I'm not saying I expected MTU to win the series at all but I knew they would be competitive. Both games MTU played at MnSU-M at the beginning of the season were very competitive games which were lost in large part to some questionable goaltending and some help from what Coach Shawhan has refered to as a Minnesota bias in WCHA reffing. MTU has had a good team all year and has a good chance to beat any team moving forward.

Comment

As a fan, I'm ****ed off. All the credit to Tech for winning this series, but that wasn't the team that I watched all year long. I'm not sure if that was because of Tech, poor play or both. My guess it was a little bit of both. It looked to me like Tech knew that they NEEDED to win and MSU thought they were going to roll over the Huskies. Tech punched MSU in the mouth on Saturday night and made it a physical game and MSU didn't respond well. I'm ****ed off because these seniors should know better. They were freshmen when MSU lost to RIT and they should know better than to let their team take anyone lightly. I'm also a little bit shocked. Right or wrong, I don't think anyone in Mankato expected this. The team ran roughshod over the conference this year and I don't think anyone expected to lose 2 out of 3, let alone at home. I'm still a little shocked by this weekend to be honest.

Now, I AM glad this happened now rather than in 2 weeks. I'm certain that Hastings was upset over this weekend and is going to make sure the team knows how to respond. That doesn't mean we will win our next game, but I would be shocked if they don't play well. The Saturday game is the one that sticks in my craw. They were messy, didn't take care of the puck and never really did the little things that every team needs to do to go on a run.
      Well said. I know just how you feel. Good luck in the tournament.
      MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by rustedblades View Post
        Personally I don't think anyone should be shocked at the result. I'm not saying I expected MTU to win the series at all but I knew they would be competitive. Both games MTU played at MnSU-M at the beginning of the season were very competitive games which were lost in large part to some questionable goaltending and some help from what Coach Shawhan has refered to as a Minnesota bias in WCHA reffing. MTU has had a good team all year and has a good chance to beat any team moving forward.
        I also think that overall, Tech is a better team than their record indicates. They've been so Jekyll and Hyde all season, looking terrible one night and awesome the next. Those of us that have payed attention could see the potential, they just didn't put it together until recently. It also helps that the goaltending has really stepped up.

With all that said, I still didn't expect Tech to beat Mankato. But I did expect very competitive games.

I agree with Bale's assessment of Saturday. And I though MSU played better Sunday, but Packy made some great saves to keep Tech in it.
        Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
          I also think that overall, Tech is a better team than their record indicates. They've been so Jekyll and Hyde all season, looking terrible one night and awesome the next. Those of us that have payed attention could see the potential, they just didn't put it together until recently. It also helps that the goaltending has really stepped up.

With all that said, I still didn't expect Tech to beat Mankato. But I did expect very competitive games.

I agree with Bale's assessment of Saturday. And I though MSU played better Sunday, but Packy made some great saves to keep Tech in it.
          And I should say, my assessment had nothing to do with Tech and everything to do with MSU. I expected it to be competitive, but didn't think MSU would lose. MSU didn't lose two in a row all year. There was no reason to think that they would now.
          Mess with the bull, you get the horns.

Comment

And I should say, my assessment had nothing to do with Tech and everything to do with MSU. I expected it to be competitive, but didn't think MSU would lose. MSU didn't lose two in a row all year. There was no reason to think that they would now.
            Yeah, and that is pretty much why I figured Mankato would take the series too. For me, the result was definitely surprising, welcomed, but still surprising.
            Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Ah, Forrest Karr, reminding everyone you can take the boy out of UAF but you can’t take the UAF out of the boy.

U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
              Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
              I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
              But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
              Originally posted by Doyle Woody
              Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                Friday/Saturday only, available online, phone, or in person.
                Box office at the Berry opened immediately after both game two's for Sunday's games for in-person sales; online went live shortly thereafter.

Following the conclusion of the NMU/BGSU game, the box office remained closed while the MTU/MSU game was playing on the scoreboard inside the BEC. Fans stayed around to watch and to potentially purchase tickets.

Flyers were posted inside the building stating online sales would start immediately following the conclusion of the Mankato game. Social media, even our own play-by-play guy kept repeating that online ticket sales would start immediately following Mankato.

Tech burries the OT winner and fans go toward the BEC box office to be told that no in-person sales would take place until 8am Monday, but go online for tickets. Those at the BEC still are trying to now purchase tickets on their smart phones.

Tickets.NMU.edu crashes, giving an error for an hour.

In the middle of the fu**ing night, NMU Tweets/Facebook's that tickets are in-person only. No online sales, no phone calls.
                A smart reporter needs to ask the following question: "Why was there a rush to put tickets up for sale? An NMU-hosted final game would only feature Michigan Tech, a matchup that would be certain to sell out." It's not like the school needed all week to drum up interest.

GFM
                Geof F. Morris
                UAH BSE MAE 2002
                UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                  A smart reporter needs to ask the following question: "Why was there a rush to put tickets up for sale? An NMU-hosted final game would only feature Michigan Tech, a matchup that would be certain to sell out." It's not like the school needed all week to drum up interest.

GFM
                  This is the big issue, the failed online sales after the result in Mankato and the overnight change of ticketing plans with so little notice was the issue.
                  Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                    This is the big issue, the failed online sales after the result in Mankato and the overnight change of ticketing plans with so little notice was the issue.
                    It is clear that NMU does not want Tech fans in the building and they did it that way to put undue hardship on as many Tech fans as possible. I cannot find another plausible reason for selling 1st and 2nd round tickets over the phone and internet then changing it for this game. Starting sales 9 hours after the teams were decided and allowing up to 10 tickets per transaction also ensured the tickets would go to local people before most fans could get to Marquette from the Copper Country.

That is a pretty chicken-**** way to operate for a 2nd place team that could only fill 53% of their building this year hosting a team that travels as well as Tech does. Hockeyville, my ***!

I will enjoy watching the Sauer Trophy presentation (in front of 150 people left in the stands) from my living room. I will be happy if I never spend another dime for tickets, food and beer at the Berry ever again.

They may have had a better record and finished 2nd in the league, and they may even win on Saturday, but I am so glad I am not an NMU fan and especially glad I am not an NMU alumnus.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by MTUHuskies View Post
                      It is clear that NMU does not want Tech fans in the building and they did it that way to put undue hardship on as many Tech fans as possible. I cannot find another plausible reason for selling 1st and 2nd round tickets over the phone and internet then changing it for this game. Starting sales 9 hours after the teams were decided and allowing up to 10 tickets per transaction also ensured the tickets would go to local people before most fans could get to Marquette from the Copper Country.

That is a pretty chicken-**** way to operate for a 2nd place team that could only fill 53% of their building this year hosting a team that travels as well as Tech does. Hockeyville, my ***!

I will enjoy watching the Sauer Trophy presentation (in front of 150 people left in the stands) from my living room. I will be happy if I never spend another dime for tickets, food and beer at the Berry ever again.

They may have had a better record and finished 2nd in the league, and they may even win on Saturday, but I am so glad I am not an NMU fan and especially glad I am not an NMU alumnus.

How many tickets did Tech set aside for Bowling Green last year? How many can you guarantee they’d put out for NMU for a Championship game? 300? 400? 500? Unlimited?

Comment

Originally posted by RapidsCity View Post
                        How many tickets did Tech set aside for Bowling Green last year? How many can you guarantee they’d put out for NMU for a Championship game? 300? 400? 500? Unlimited?
                        From what I have heard, MTU sent 200 consignment tickets to BGSU and not all of them were sold by the BGSU ticket office.

But that is not the issue. MTU sold tickets online and over the phone so anyone from Bowling Green, or anywhere else in the world, could get tickets without making a separate trip to the box office in Houghton. In theory, BGSU fans could have filled every seat the Mac other than the suites, season tickets, DaWGs and the 650 they set aside for students. It's obvious Northern had a concerted effort to shut out Tech fans. MTU did not stoop to that level last year.

Comment

Originally posted by MTUHuskies View Post

The other answer is that their website just couldn't handle it so they made the decision to go in person only because of that issue when they tried to sell online.
                          Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                            The other answer is that their website just couldn't handle it so they made the decision to go in person only because of that issue when they tried to sell online.
                            So we're going with Incompetence. Classic Northern.
                            In Mel We Trust(ed)

Comment

• Originally posted by MTUHuskies View Post
                              From what I have heard, MTU sent 200 consignment tickets to BGSU and not all of them were sold by the BGSU ticket office.

But that is not the issue. MTU sold tickets online and over the phone so anyone from Bowling Green, or anywhere else in the world, could get tickets without making a separate trip to the box office in Houghton. In theory, BGSU fans could have filled every seat the Mac other than the suites, season tickets, DaWGs and the 650 they set aside for students. It's obvious Northern had a concerted effort to shut out Tech fans. MTU did not stoop to that level last year.

It's easy to say you are holier than thou when hosting a team that is 10 hours away, on a week's notice.

Comment

Originally posted by Crocodile Tears View Post
                                So we're going with Incompetence. Classic Northern.
                                Do you think the NMU ticket site has ever had as much traffic as it had the hour after MTU beat MSU? I don't. It isn't incompetence to think that the site was wholly overwhelmed and it was easier for NMU to decide to do all in-person sales instead of online to prevent that problem. I don't like it, but I can see why it happen.

Comment

Working...
                                X