Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: WCHA Season Thread 2017-18: In Which We Try For Two Bids

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
    Maybe the policy ought to be that you get a minimum of so many games for the first and increasing for each additional, and also that you get a minimum of however long the player you hit is out. So if he gets a concussion and is out for 6 weeks, so are you.
    I like those ideas. Maybe players would think twice about going to the head with the intent to injure. It is the player that is hurt who suffers the most. Let the player who injures sit out that number of games too.
    MTU Huskies 3 time NCAA Champions... and going for more.
    2017-18 WCHA playoff Pick'em Champion!

Comment

• Originally posted by Bale View Post
      I dunno....i thinl corbett should be shutting him down for a while. Of you're that selfish that you are willing to put your team in that position time anf again (let alone the safety of the guys you are competing against), your coach should sit you down to send a message to you and the team.
      I don’t follow UAH super closely, but it seems to me if Corbett was going to send him a message it would have been sent by now.
      “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

• Originally posted by Wi.Huskies Fan View Post
        I like those ideas. Maybe players would think twice about going to the head with the intent to injure. It is the player that is hurt who suffers the most. Let the player who injures sit out that number of games too.
        Except officials in this league will call a 5 minute major for "contact to the head," when no actual contact to the head takes place. Then, in the same game, will completely ignore a hit that is in fact directly to the head.

Comment

Originally posted by pdt1081 View Post
          Except officials in this league will call a 5 minute major for "contact to the head," when no actual contact to the head takes place. Then, in the same game, will completely ignore a hit that is in fact directly to the head.
          I'd just be happy if the officials called the same penalty every time, especially when they happen within 10 seconds of each other, yet only one gets called.
          LSSU Alumni & Fan.

Still a work in progress, but please join us at the (unofficial) Laker Hockey Blog

Comment

It is getting hard to ignore the poor quality of officiating in the league. WCHA teams are #1,2,7,10,11,12, and 16 in PIM/gm, and yet we continue to have these serious incidents. Somehow, our officials manage to call too much and too little at the same time, ruining the flow of the game, but not making it any safer.

Comment

In reading the ASU article, they say they want to break ground in Feb 2019 with a completion date of July 2020. So for starters, no rink again next season and I think it is a pipe dream that they build a rink in just over a year unless they are building a steel pole barn. So best case you're likely looking at 2021 before ASU has their own legit rink. And that's if they actually stick to the plan they have now and there are no financing / construction delays. No conference is taking them on while they are still playing at Oceanside, especially the NCHC.

As for any potential realignment, Mankato is the flight risk to be paired with ASU. I don't see the NCHC letting WMU and Miami out of the conference for free. I think the NCHC if they could pick the team would go for 14 or 16 or maybe even more. They have a huge ego to feed so they are not letting anyone go for free. If some of those Eastern teams really want out, they are going to have to pay. Remember, the NCHC is all about money and revenue for their teams. That's why that conference started. Don't think for a second they are going to pass on a million dollar pay day, or better yet two of them.

Ryan
              Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
              https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
              Originally posted by geezer
              Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
              Originally posted by manurespreader
              ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by Wi.Huskies Fan View Post
                The issue with that is relative player ability. If it's a fourth-line forward that gets creamed by a guy like Saulnier, who is usually in the top six? Then yeah, you could hamstring UAH.

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
                I don’t follow UAH super closely, but it seems to me if Corbett was going to send him a message it would have been sent by now.
                So much this. My concern is others of our guys getting run with Saulnier out of the game. Should they do that? No, they shouldn't, but they're young men who are standing up for their teammates. Saulnier is the third-leading scorer by points and tied for second in goals, but that's no reason to keep playing him. I figure that he'll miss this weekend, and I'd prefer to see him sit the next weekend, either.

Thank God it's his last season.

The league can and will get that on later review. One of Saulnier's suspensions is the result of video review (against Lake State two years ago).

GFM
                Geof F. Morris
                UAH BSE MAE 2002
                UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
                  I guess that's the point. The one guy that should have been sending a message hasn't and won't do it.

I have never seen Mike Hastings get as upset as he was after the hit Saulnier put on Gerads in the MSU game. He took the backup goalie's stick and was slamming it on the boards between the benches to get Corbett's attention. When he finally got it, I believe his exact quote was "What the *******, Mike?!" Corbett's exact response was to shrug his shoulders, and turn away. Now, I know that there isn't much he could do at that point, but there is a certain amount of "give-a-****" that you would hope a coach would have at that point. You would think that a coach would know his players well enough to know that you can't put a guy like that on the ice in that situation at that time of the game. In situations like this, I look at the coach and wonder why he hasn't done something.
                  Mess with the bull, you get the horns.

Comment

WCHA Standings (Points, Games Played). Minnesota State, Northern Michigan, Bowling Green and Bemidji State have clinched playoff berths

1 Northern Michigan 49 22
                    2 Bowling Green 46 22
                    3 Minnesota State 45 20
                    4 Bemidji State 39 20
                    5 Michigan Tech 34 22
                    6 Ferris State 28 22
                    7 Alabama Huntsville 27 22
                    8 Alaska 23 20
                    9 Lake Superior State 15 22
                    10 Alaska Anchorage 12 20

Conference Schedule remaining:

Mankato: Anchorage, at Huntsville, Ferris, Bemidji
                    Bowling Green: Michigan Tech, at Anchorage, at Huntsville
                    Northern: at Huntsville, Alaska, home and home with Tech
                    Bemidji: Lake State, at Tech, Alaska, at Mankato
                    Michigan Tech: at Bowling Green, Bemidji, home and home with Northern
                    Huntsville: Northern, Mankato, Bowling Green
                    Alaska: at Northern, at Bemidji, Anchorage
                    Ferris: at Alaska, at Mankato, Lake State
                    Lake State: at Bemidji, at Alaska, at Ferris
                    Anchorage: at Mankato, Lake State, Bowling Green, at Alaska
                    Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
                    FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
                    NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
                    NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
                    NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
                    NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
                    Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
                    Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

Four-game total suspension for Brennan Saulnier:

1 from his third game misconduct of the season on Saturday (NCAA rule).
                      1 from his game disqualification on Saturday (abuse of officials, NCAA rule).
                      2 from the WCHA handed down today.

He'll miss UAH's home series against Northern Michigan (Feb. 3-4) and Minnesota State (Feb. 9-10).
                      Last edited by UAHStatman; 01-29-2018, 02:04 PM. Reason: Corrected "Dec." to "Feb." because time fails me.
                      Michael Napier - UAH '97
                      uahhockey.com

UAH Chargers Hockey
                      U.S. National Club Champions - 1982, 1983, 1984
                      NCAA Division II National Champions - 1996, 1998
                      CHA Regular Season Champions - 2001, 2003
                      CHA Tournament Champions - 2007, 2010

Comment

Originally posted by UAHStatman View Post
                        Four-game total suspension for Brennan Saulnier:

1 from his third game misconduct of the season on Saturday (NCAA rule).
                        1 from his game disqualification on Saturday (abuse of officials, NCAA rule).
                        2 from the WCHA handed down today.

He'll miss UAH's home series against Northern Michigan (Dec. 3-4) and Minnesota State (Dec. 9-10).
                        ok that sounds better, I saw the subject of the email that it was a 2-game suspension and thought it was a little light for a repeat offender.
                        Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                          ok that sounds better, I saw the subject of the email that it was a 2-game suspension and thought it was a little light for a repeat offender.
                          I thought so too until I saw the bit about NCAA rules. Should have known he had at least two coming even before today.
                          Michael Napier - UAH '97
                          uahhockey.com

UAH Chargers Hockey
                          U.S. National Club Champions - 1982, 1983, 1984
                          NCAA Division II National Champions - 1996, 1998
                          CHA Regular Season Champions - 2001, 2003
                          CHA Tournament Champions - 2007, 2010

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                            Is Mayer a “thug?”

Six strides in the 1 1/2 seconds the Tech player had the puck, and none from the time he entered the video frame? It was a big hit. He got the penalty he deserved.
                            If he plays for Ferris, it's almost always an appropriate name to call him "thug".

The puck had absolutely nothing to to with it, since Mayer had absolutely no intent to play the puck. He and Donohue had already been in a scuffle after the whistle (a Ferris game with stuff after the whistle, imagine that). That was purely premeditated and sickening. Nice smack talk by the guy as he skated off past the Tech bench too, I'm sure that was not an apology. Just the gall of Mayer to actually go to the penalty box like he wasn't expecting to get kicked out shows exactly the mentality of those sub-humans. And for all the credit the Ferris coaching staff gets from seemingly everyone, that team continues to have this happen every season. They are the flag bearers for anti-hockey, and they're not just proud of that they're smug about it. Their AD knew zero about hockey before going there and it's all he knows so he thinks it's ok, I'm shocked he wasn't down in the high five line by the locker room.

Oh and by the way, he wears a letter for that team. Classy.

Comment

Saulnier should sit out the BG series, too.

GFM
                              Geof F. Morris
                              UAH BSE MAE 2002
                              UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                                Saulnier should sit out the BG series, too.

GFM
                                Why stop there?

Comment

Working...
                                X