Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: WCHA Season Thread 2017-18: In Which We Try For Two Bids

Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
    I don’t mean be to be an ***hole, I’m just sick of watching the Mavs rack up the wins to make the tournament and bounce first round. Minnesota State has heavily invested in its program to make it a winner, and a national contender annually. I’m not saying they’re going to be North Dakota or Michigan putting together double digit year streaks of making the tournament, but they should be in the mix annually and win games at the NCAA tourney level — even with all the success in the new WCHA, the Mavs still haven’t been able to do it.

The WCHA currently leaves little margin for error in the W/L column, and frankly, playing 20 games against tougher opponents this season, while resulting in a few more losses, would’ve helped the Mavericks go through a more rigorous test and preparation for the postseason.

I enjoy when MTU or BSU and MSU play or the FSU/MSU great series we had early in the new WCHA, etc. I’d rather see the Mavs split more series and play tougher opponents rather than generally run through most of te league with their top teams and then fall flat come NCAA time.

There were multiple games the Mavs played their “B” game and were successful and won. That would happen far less in the NCHC, and would force the Mavs to consistently be at the top of their game, or they won’t make the NCAA tournament.

Now, I will acknowledge part of the NCAA failures have been on the staff and the team as well — you cannot lose to RIT as the #1 overall seed, or completely dominate UMD for 20 minuets then hit the coast button and watch it all fall apart.
    One slight correction...you actually fell flat on your face at home against the WCHA 6th seed in the second round of the conference tournament. Then you fell flat on the big stage. You might, and I emphasize might, have a stronger argument had you actually won the WCHA tournament. Until then, don’t blame the rest of the conference for failing to kiss Mike Hastings’ feet.
    “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
      One slight correction...you actually fell flat on your face at home against the WCHA 6th seed in the second round of the conference tournament. Then you fell flat on the big stage. You might, and I emphasize might, have a stronger argument had you actually won the WCHA tournament. Until then, don’t blame the rest of the conference for failing to kiss Mike Hastings’ feet.
      The 6th seed in the WCHA tournament was Ferris State. If you're making corrections, be correct.

Comment

Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
        The 6th seed in the WCHA tournament was Ferris State. If you're making corrections, be correct.
        My bad, going from memory. Point remains the same though.
        “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
          Ah, that's 5th seed, to you.

edit: ****, beat to it!
          Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

• Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
            That is what I got out of it too.

Not alot of logic in this argument.
            Maybe if his team didn't rely on their B game, their A game would have pushed the team to still be playing.
            Just to be clear. My disinterest in this team became of the Uni's disinterest. Without the success of the hockey team, the other teams would not be where they are. Way to pay back the hockey team. **** UAA.

Comment

• Originally posted by AKSWF View Post
              Maybe if his team didn't rely on their B game, their A game would have pushed the team to still be playing.
              I agree with this. I feel it is easier to consistently play your A game when your league opponents force you to do so in order to beat them, as well.
              AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
                I agree with this. I feel it is easier to consistently play your A game when your league opponents force you to do so in order to beat them, as well.
                Dude, we get it. We suck and you want to hang out with the hottie standing next to the Nacho bar.

Give it a rest.

Comment

Originally posted by TalonsUpPuckDown View Post
                  Dude, we get it. We suck and you want to hang out with the hottie standing next to the Nacho bar. Give it a rest.
                  Then shouldn't he be looking at the BIG ten. I mean they let ND in, and being in the same conference as the goofs means it will be a 50/50 battle all the time for recruits.

Comment

Mav just wants MnSU to be in the NCHC so that his real hockey crush, the F'in Hawks, will play in Mankato again.

Comment

Originally posted by giwan View Post
                      Then shouldn't he be looking at the BIG ten. I mean they let ND in, and being in the same conference as the goofs means it will be a 50/50 battle all the time for recruits.
                      And I'm sure the B1G would like to have an 8th (place) team.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                        Mav just wants MnSU to be in the NCHC so that his real hockey crush, the F'in Hawks, will play in Mankato again.
                        /thread over
                        AF 99

Comment

At this point Minnesota State is like a dad who’s staying in a relationship for the kids, but everyone knows he’s sleeping around in the neighborhood.
                          Co-Founder/Editor of BGSUHockey.com

Comment

• Originally posted by giwan View Post
                            Minnesota State will never be a blue blood college hockey program and will rarely, never consistently, beat MN for recruits.

It is realistic to think they can compete with SCSU and UMD however, two in state teams that have had more postseason and recruiting success than the Mavs.

Y’all may not think the conference has much to do with any of this, and that’s fine, but I’m a firm believer joining the NCHC would help the Mavs be better prepared for the postseason and enhance recruiting.
                            AF 99

Comment

• Originally posted by BGDrew View Post
                              At this point Minnesota State is like a dad who’s staying in a relationship for the kids, but everyone knows he’s sleeping around in the neighborhood.
                              All I can tell you is if the NCHC called Minnesota State and invited them to join the NCHC, without hesitation that invitation would be accepted.
                              AF 99

Comment

• Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
                                All I can tell you is if the NCHC called Minnesota State and invited them to join the NCHC, without hesitation that invitation would be accepted.
                                No one is disagreeing with that, but the NCHC doesn’t want Minnesota State.
                                Co-Founder/Editor of BGSUHockey.com

Comment

Working...
                                X