WCHA Season Thread 2017-18: In Which We Try For Two Bids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: WCHA Season Thread 2017-18: In Which We Try For Two Bids

According to CHN, WCHA has >38% chance of getting 2 teams in the tournament this year. MSU is listed as a lock now and NMU (23%)/BGSU (16%)/BSU (none-zero) chance of getting an at large bid. From all of that, I'd put WCHA on 2 bids about 50% of the time. Need NMU/BGSU/MSU to win most of their games not against each other the next 2 weeks.
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by MTUHuskies View Post
      From how I understand the WCHA tiebreaker, www.wcha.com/men/standings.php you have to go down to Section E where records against the highest ranked WCHA team.

If the top of the standings stays the same, I come up with:
      #7=UAF (best record vs MSUM)
      #8=UAH (better record vs NMU)

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
      This is correct.

http://blog.wchaplayoffs.com/2018/02...re-2018-02-19/

Man, it would be awesome if the scenario that I outlined happens on Friday. I would be very happy to only be worried where UAF, UAH, and FSU finish. At that point, we're looking at maybe 30 minutes of tie-breaking and not a few hours.

GFM
      Geof F. Morris
      UAH BSE MAE 2002
      UAHHockey.com

Comment

• Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
        According to CHN, WCHA has >38% chance of getting 2 teams in the tournament this year. MSU is listed as a lock now and NMU (23%)/BGSU (16%)/BSU (none-zero) chance of getting an at large bid. From all of that, I'd put WCHA on 2 bids about 50% of the time. Need NMU/BGSU/MSU to win most of their games not against each other the next 2 weeks.
        If I’m Bill Robertson, I’m secretly hoping someone besides Mankato or NMU wins the autobid. Guarantees two teams, with a decent shot at three depending on what happens with NMU down the stretch.
        “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
          If I’m Bill Robertson, I’m secretly hoping someone besides Mankato or NMU wins the autobid. Guarantees two teams, with a decent shot at three depending on what happens with NMU down the stretch.
          MTUHuskies is not so secretly hoping someone besides Mankato or NMU wins the autobid.

Comment

Originally posted by MTUHuskies View Post
            MTUHuskies is not so secretly hoping someone besides Mankato or NMU wins the autobid.

Dude, we appreciate that, though I admit it's a real surpr...oh...wait...I get it.

Comment

CHARGERS 2018! RIGHT WHERE WE WANT YOU!

gym
              Geof F. Morris
              UAH BSE MAE 2002
              UAHHockey.com

Comment

If Alaska loses tomorrow, and Lake State wins, causing the teams to be tied at 30 points, who would have the tiebreaker?

The Alaska announcers said UAF has tie-breaker over LSSU. By reading the WCHA rules I do not understand why that would be the case.

Comment

Originally posted by Laker Dude View Post
                  If Alaska loses tomorrow, and Lake State wins, causing the teams to be tied at 30 points, who would have the tiebreaker?

The Alaska announcers said UAF has tie-breaker over LSSU. By reading the WCHA rules I do not understand why that would be the case.
                  In this situation Alaska would be 9-17-2-1 while Lake Superior would be 9-16-3-0. The teams haven't played each other four times (A tiebreaker), so you'd then look at total conference wins (B tiebreaker). Again, there's no winner here so we look at the team with the least amount of conference losses (C tiebreaker). Here, Lake Superior would have the advantage (17 > 16) and thus would earn the 8th seed while Alaska would stay home.
                  Co-Founder/Editor of BGSUHockey.com

Comment

Alaska announcer apologizes...What's really weird is that Lake State website says they were eliminated.....

Comment

Originally posted by fairbanks hockey puck View Post
                      Alaska announcer apologizes...What's really weird is that Lake State website says they were eliminated.....
                      Yeah, I had saw that the LSSU website and twitter said they were eliminated also, so that is why I was confused. Thank you BGDrew for the clarification.

Comment

Judging from the turd we laid last night, I’m not sure we deserve the opportunity to be swept by Mankato.
                        “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Final probabilities: http://blog.wchaplayoffs.com/2018/02...re-2018-02-24/

The fun thing is that the games that matter are all spread out across the calendar tonight. UAH-BGSU drops in three hours!

GFM
                          Geof F. Morris
                          UAH BSE MAE 2002
                          UAHHockey.com

Comment

Geof is this right....

WCHA 1-5 set in stone....

1.Minnesota State 2. Northern Michigan 3. Bowling Green 4. Bemidji State 5. Michigan Tech

Final playoff berth will be settled tonight...Alaska or Lake Superior State

6-9 still up for grabs for seeding

UAH 33 pts and FSU 31 pts have clinched a playoff spot.

Alaska is eighth with 30 and Lake State has 27...Lakers need three points meaning they have to beat Ferris in regulation or five-minute OT(and Lakers lost to Ferris at Ferris last night) and Alaska loses again to UAA. Lakers only way to get in playoffs. Lakers own tie--breaker "C" over Nanooks/one less conference loss.

Alaska clinches final position with one point tonight period.

Alaska can finish six thru ninth....

Sixth with win and loses by Ferris and UAH...Alaska owns tie breaker "E" over UAH with a win over first place Minnesota State and would win all tie breaker scenarios with Ferris too I believe....

And there could be a three way tie with 33 pts if Ferris beats Lakers in 3x 3 or shoot out. UAH loses and Alaska wins.
                            Not sure here...but might favor AK>>> u tell me......

Lake Superior State has since corrected their story from last night saying that were officially eliminated to saying that need to help to advance from this the last weekend of the regular season.....

Please correct me if I am wrong...........

Comment

Looks like figured it out Geof per your predictor info I just saw....

33 points with FSU and Alaska wins tie breaker. Alaska and Ferris/both with 31 or 32 points/Ferris wins tie breaker
                              And there could be a three way tie with 33 pts if Ferris beats Lakers in 3x 3 or shoot out. UAH loses and Alaska wins. Alaska wins that tie breaker

Comment

Anybody have trouble with WCHA TV last night? All I could get was Stream not available and that's all I get when trying to see any On Demand games from last night.
                                “They are a **** site better than the U.S. Army, at least we know that they will be there in the morning.”
                                – Lewis B. Chesty Puller
                                when a journalist asked him about being surrounded by 22. enemy divisions

Comment

Working...
                                X