X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: WCHA Season Thread 2017-18: In Which We Try For Two Bids

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
    UNLV isn’t adding hockey.
    With the success of the Golden Knights, I can easily see them adding hockey.

But they would be small fish with: NFL, NHL, already established college sports, and the soccer team.
    Just to be clear. My disinterest in this team became of the Uni's disinterest. Without the success of the hockey team, the other teams would not be where they are. Way to pay back the hockey team. **** UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by Bale View Post
      You're kidding yourself if you think that trading the Alaska's for the Colorado schools is a wash. Flights from MSP to Denver is nowhere near the cost of what it is from MSP to anywhere in the WCHA (since Alaska only subsidizes the amount over and above the most expensive trip in the rest of the league). It's also a cheaper flight to Phx than it is to Huntsville (or anyone else in the league), so if there is a cost gain in hotels it's made up in hotels.

As for bus-able trips you'd be replacing trips of 7.5 hrs (MTU), 10 hrs (LSSU), 8 hrs (NMU) with trips of 2.25 hrs (St Cloud), 3.75 hrs (Duluth) and 4.75 (Omaha). Is it the end of the world? Of course not. Is it desirable to travel farther? Definitely not.

The other thing I would say is that there was a stat that MSU's attendance was up by roughly 7% since the conference shift. Of course, that ignores the fact that the cost of tickets went down by 11% and there is no "premium game" pricing any longer either. This is at a time when this team has averaged 24.5 wins in the 4 full seasons of the new conference alignment. Up from the previous 4 year average of 16.5 wins per season. That's not a small improvement, that's a very big one.

This is all to say that there is enough evidence to confidently the interest in the team would increase playing teams that have traditional rivalries with Mankato. They would increase the revenues. And it's not a stretch to say that there would be a decrease in expenses just due to proximity. I don't need to ask anyone with the university to see that interest is waning. I can see it every game. I can hear it when I talk to people. I can feel it when I'm in the arena. I can't talk to buddies or co-workers about hockey because I don't know a single person that went to a university in the rest of the conference (and that's not abnormal).

Look, I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with the conference. If it were just a competitive issue, I wouldn't think twice about staying. It really is the business side of it that I think the NCHC is a better fit for MSU. The geography makes more sense. The makeup of alumni makes more sense. The alignment of the other sports teams within the university makes more sense. The finances just make more sense. I truly believe the quality of the conference will go up (see what happened with the ECAC), but for all the other reasons, the NCHC make more sense for Mankato.
      I get what you say and you're right about most of it.And like I said I'd still do it too, and I see that St Cloud is a bigger draw than lake state etc,... however, as far as Huntsville vs Phoenix and the Colorado schools and it's quibbling a bit, but.... I thought you guys chartered to farther away places. I'm pretty sure that was part of keeping Hastings was being able to charter out. if that's the case than a charter to Phoenix is 1600 miles from Mankato and a charter to Huntsville is 950. So it would cost quite a bit more to go to Phoenix. About 20,000 dollars more to be specific. Some of these charter companies charge by the hour some by the mile but either way it's further and costs more.
      MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Whenever we talk about attendance, Bale's point is valid: schools raise or drop pricing, too. Economic shifts in the area change. Some schools go to smaller venues often or all the time (e.g. UAF with the Patty, right?). College hockey attenandce is, on the whole, decreasing — and for a lot of reasons. You can't index the drops post-realignment without this information.

Also, all ten WCHA schools would jump to the NCHC in a second if they could meet all the demands.

GFM
        Geof F. Morris
        UAH BSE MAE 2002
        UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
          Also, all ten WCHA schools would jump to the NCHC in a second if they could meet all the demands.

GFM
          Our AD announced that the Nacho's approached BG to gauge our interest (he made it a point to say we were not offered a spot, but that they were inquiring as to our interest) at the time MSU and ASU applied. Per our AD, it wasn't a fit for us at the time and we told them as such. So 9 out of 10...

Comment

Originally posted by TalonsUpPuckDown View Post
            Our AD announced that the Nacho's approached BG to gauge our interest (he made it a point to say we were not offered a spot, but that they were inquiring as to our interest) at the time MSU and ASU applied. Per our AD, it wasn't a fit for us at the time and we told them as such. So 9 out of 10...
            BG passed because they didn't have the financials to compete in the NCHC. Mazey was always in favor of the program going to the NCHC, but those who understood the financial needs to compete knew it wasn't possible.
            Co-Founder/Editor of BGSUHockey.com

Comment

A huge week for Mankato coming up. Win both of the next two and you're likely in. lose and not so much.
              MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                A huge week for Mankato coming up. Win both of the next two and you're likely in. lose and not so much.
                Two points puts them in the playoffs regardless of what anyone else does. It's probably lower if you account for the fact that UAA has soaked up 12 points. I'll try to answer that affirmatively later.

GFM
                Geof F. Morris
                UAH BSE MAE 2002
                UAHHockey.com

Comment

Two points puts them in the playoffs regardless of what anyone else does. It's probably lower if you account for the fact that UAA has soaked up 12 points. I'll try to answer that affirmatively later.

GFM
                  Pretty sure he's talking about the NCAAs. Next 2 games are St Cloud and Duluth. Win them and we probably in the national tourney with an at-large bid, lose both and we probably need to win the conference tourney. Split the games and we probably just need the games we "should win".
                  Mess with the bull, you get the horns.

Comment

Pretty sure he's talking about the NCAAs. Next 2 games are St Cloud and Duluth. Win them and we probably in the national tourney with an at-large bid, lose both and we probably need to win the conference tourney. Split the games and we probably just need the games we "should win".
                    I don't think that a fan of a team that just lost to Alaska should be thinking about that.

GFM
                    Geof F. Morris
                    UAH BSE MAE 2002
                    UAHHockey.com

Comment

I don't think that a fan of a team that just lost to Alaska should be thinking about that.

GFM
                      The trip to St. Cloud is a hell of a lot less ****ty than the Alaska one.
                      MTU Hockey fan since I was carried to a game in 1986 - for those counting... that's a lot of depressing hockey. Still love it.

Surrounded by Badger Red in Wisconsin. Such an ugly color, but the beer and cheese are delicious...

2014-15 WCHA (*Regular season portion) Pick-em Champion (**Forgeting a Week Methodology)

Comment

GFM
                        Meh....hockey is too fluky of a game to think that losing one game on an eleven day road trip is reason to change opinions of a team's season.
                        Mess with the bull, you get the horns.

Comment

Meh....hockey is too fluky of a game to think that losing one game on an eleven day road trip is reason to change opinions of a team's season.
                          Hey, I agree with you, but that's a big hit to all the stuff that the national folks use to populate the tournament.

GFM
                          Geof F. Morris
                          UAH BSE MAE 2002
                          UAHHockey.com

Comment

• Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                            Hey, I agree with you, but that's a big hit to all the stuff that the national folks use to populate the tournament.

GFM
                            It was one game. I loved the Friday outcome, but I would have been much more impressed had we won, or at least been competitive, Saturday. Instead we took Mankato’s bait hook, line and sinker.
                            “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

• Originally posted by gfmorris View Post

GFM
                              I thought we were friends.
                              “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

http://www.espn.com/watch/_/id/32722...tion-episode-6

Great stuff for those that haven't watched it yet. The Tech portion begins about the 17 minute mark.

The BG portion is well worth the watch as well..

Picked this off of Tech's thread. I thought others may enjoy watching it, especially BG fans and Tech fans who may have not seen it yet.
                                MTU Huskies 3 time NCAA Champions... and going for more.
                                2017-18 WCHA playoff Pick'em Champion!

Comment

Working...
                                X