Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: WCHA Season Thread 2017-18: In Which We Try For Two Bids

Originally posted by giwan View Post
    How do you see it helping in recruiting? Do you believe all of a sudden those recruits won't go to UMD or SCSU let alone UM? Who are you stealing recruits from?
    Absolutely it would help in recruiting, would you rather play in the NCHC or the WCHA. We wouldn't be "stealing" recruits. We would simply have a chance at those who are now choosing to go to St. Cloud or UMD.

Comment

• Originally posted by giwan View Post
      How do you see it helping in recruiting? Do you believe all of a sudden those recruits won't go to UMD or SCSU let alone UM? Who are you stealing recruits from?
      Yes! That’s the whole point. Guys like Poehling, Allison, Tufte, Mismash, Terry...They were all sought by the Big 7 schools, but went to NCHC teams. But I’m pretty confident not one of them ever considered a WCHA school. Of course we won’t get them all if we’re in the NCHC. But now we won’t get any of them.

Comment

Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
        Yes! That’s the whole point. Guys like Poehling, Allison, Tufte, Mismash, Terry...They were all sought by the Big 7 schools, but went to NCHC teams. But I’m pretty confident not one of them ever considered a WCHA school. Of course we won’t get them all if we’re in the NCHC. But now we won’t get any of them.
        MTU was in on McGregor...
        Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
          Guys, we get the point about the reasons the Nachos are good for MSU. But you haven’t answered the other side of the coin…what do you bring to the Nachos? Western and Miami see negative value in adding you to the league without BG and we aren’t going. Those two programs can’t put an extra butt in the seats when playing UND, UMD, or SCSU, what makes you think people will flock to Lawson and Goggin when you roll into town? Why would those two schools want another Minnesota team in the conference? ASU? You bet. A big name school ala Michigan or Michigan State is a winner to them so why is it you think you’ll get in when ASU’s arena is ready? Why do the Nachos have to have an even number of teams when there are examples of leagues making an odd number of teams work?

Western asked the question and answered it successfully. So now it’s your turn. Sell the virtues of your program to Western and Miami. Why Mankato?

Comment

Originally posted by TalonsUpPuckDown View Post
            Guys, we get the point about the reasons the Nachos are good for MSU. But you haven’t answered the other side of the coin…what do you bring to the Nachos? Western and Miami see negative value in adding you to the league without BG and we aren’t going. Those two programs can’t put an extra butt in the seats when playing UND, UMD, or SCSU, what makes you think people will flock to Lawson and Goggin when you roll into town? Why would those two schools want another Minnesota team in the conference? ASU? You bet. A big name school ala Michigan or Michigan State is a winner to them so why is it you think you’ll get in when ASU’s arena is ready? Why do the Nachos have to have an even number of teams when there are examples of leagues making an odd number of teams work?

Western asked the question and answered it successfully. So now it’s your turn. Sell the virtues of your program to Western and Miami. Why Mankato?
            to put more Butts in the X for conference tournament.
            Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
              All 10 of them?
              U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
              Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
              I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
              But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
              Originally posted by Doyle Woody
              Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                NCHC: Packing rinks "nationally" since 2013.
                Way to go DU. Your fans look really pumped about your recent success.
                It must be quite the thrill for kids to play in such a prestigious conference.
                **Crickets Chriping**
                Ryan

Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                Originally posted by geezer
                Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                Originally posted by manurespreader
                ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

• Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                  NCHC: Packing rinks "nationally" since 2013.
                  Way to go DU. Your fans look really pumped about your recent success.
                  It must be quite the thrill for kids to play in such a prestigious conference.
                  **Crickets Chriping**
                  Ryan

Denver has never been about adding butts to the seats. They have solid home attendance, however.

Do you think it was quite the thrill for Denver’s kids to win the national title last year? The NCHC tournament again this year?
                  AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
                    Denver has never been about adding butts to the seats. They have solid home attendance, however.

Do you think it was quite the thrill for Denver’s kids to win the national title last year? The NCHC tournament again this year?
                    I'm sure it is great to win a tourney to the sound of a 1 armed man clapping. Denver brings nothing to the table, and hasn't for years, even in the old WCHA.
                    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

• Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                      I'm sure it is great to win a tourney to the sound of a 1 armed man clapping. Denver brings nothing to the table, and hasn't for years, even in the old WCHA.
                      Other than a consistent, winning hockey program, I agree.
                      AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

Other than a consistent, winning hockey program, I agree.
                        Which in and of itself, is worth nothing to the rest of the league.
                        Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                          Which in and of itself, is worth nothing to the rest of the league.
                          I think that the WCHA would be happy to have another consistent, winning program if they could trade (your pick of bottom-tier schools here).

GFM
                          Geof F. Morris
                          UAH BSE MAE 2002
                          UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                            I think that the WCHA would be happy to have another consistent, winning program if they could trade (your pick of bottom-tier schools here).

GFM
                            But that is more valuable for the WCHA than it is a league like the NCHC, which is what I was trying to say. Yes, trade UAA for Denver, and it is better for every team in the WCHA, no argument there. Trade Denver for MSU? I'll take Mankato.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                              But that is more valuable for the WCHA than it is a league like the NCHC, which is what I was trying to say. Yes, trade UAA for Denver, and it is better for every team in the WCHA, no argument there. Trade Denver for MSU? I'll take Mankato.
                              Yeah, that takes out a long bus ride for most of the schools and makes it a flight for pretty much everyone (even UAH flies to the Colorado schools).

GFM
                              Geof F. Morris
                              UAH BSE MAE 2002
                              UAHHockey.com

Comment

If you've ever been to a DU home game you would change your opinion. In a city of a MILLION+ people, they can't even average 6k per game. Even Duluth (population 90,000) outdraws DU. Ever wonder why DU is so concerned about league revenue sharing? It's because they can't even fill their own barn.

For local comparison, the Colorado Eagles (ECHL) an hour North of Denver can average 5k fans per game. DU sitting in the middle of Denver would have no problem selling out their 6k seat arena if people in Denver actually cared about Pioneers hockey. (The fact that they built a brand new rink and only planned for 6k seats should tell you all you need to know about attendance expectations.) Colorado is a sports state and DU isn't even on the radar for where Denver sports fans spend their money. Heck, even Colorado College is only drawing about 1k less per game than DU and their market is 1/10th the size. They also have to battle with Air Force five miles up the road for college hockey fans.

The only team I would acknowledge in the NCHC that has "strong" fan support is UND, who out-draws any team, regardless of local population. As BB stated, DU brings nothing to table, they just sit down, hold out their hand and expect everyone else to fill it with cash.

Ryan
                                Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                                https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                                Originally posted by geezer
                                Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                                Originally posted by manurespreader
                                ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Working...
                                X