Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: WCHA Season Thread 2017-18: In Which We Try For Two Bids

Originally posted by devildog View Post
    To me, if I understand you statement correctly, this is what saves college hockey for the small schools. The hot shots all flock to the big money schools, but there is a whole bunch 2nd and 3rd line NHL players spread out among the NCAA getting all they playing time they want. Put a good "team" together with those kind of players, those small schools can play with and beat the big boys.
    For the most part that's true, but.... the big schools have a proposal going forward to allow them to recruit those kids right out of the smaller schools and bring them into their program immediately. No waiting. Kids would be able to transfer in a matter of a couple of weeks mid semester and play. So if a kid is a late bloomer, he is going to be getting calls, not just as a recruit but as a D1 player.
    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

• Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
      To be fair the Legislature has gotten better on the House side since those Republicans crossed over to form the majority with the Democrats.
      True. But it was a dumpster fire in 2016 when all this happened. It’ll take UAF and UAA years to dig out from that mess.
      “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Huntsville, Alaska and Anchorage pay the average EXTRA cost to travel there. So, if the average trip to xxx or yyy is $1000 per player...and the trip to Huntsville averages $1100 per player, UAH pays that school $100 per player. Same with UAA and UAF.

Comment

• Originally posted by beaverhockey View Post
          Huntsville, Alaska and Anchorage pay the average EXTRA cost to travel there. So, if the average trip to xxx or yyy is $1000 per player...and the trip to Huntsville averages $1100 per player, UAH pays that school $100 per player. Same with UAA and UAF.
          Does that include not conference?

Comment

Originally posted by pdt1081 View Post
            Does that include not conference?
            No, those are separate contractual arrangements.

GFM
            Geof F. Morris
            UAH BSE MAE 2002
            UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
              For the most part that's true, but.... the big schools have a proposal going forward to allow them to recruit those kids right out of the smaller schools and bring them into their program immediately. No waiting. Kids would be able to transfer in a matter of a couple of weeks mid semester and play. So if a kid is a late bloomer, he is going to be getting calls, not just as a recruit but as a D1 player.
              I don’t believe any proposal would allow a kid to leave mid season?
              Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                If it benefits the big schools, I wouldn't be so sure about that. Could be something they are trying to sneak through like Lucia's age limit proposal.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by MTUHuskies View Post
                  If it benefits the big schools, I wouldn't be so sure about that. Could be something they are trying to sneak through like Lucia's age limit proposal.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
                  I wouldn't be surprised either. Ethics went out the window long ago for the Big Schools.
                  Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

I don't see why a player couldn't change teams mid-season under the new proposal, but not at ANY point. You can't just enroll at a school week 4 of the semester or something like that. So maybe there is one chance per season for a player to come in during the season.

I would love to see some of these big schools pluck kids out of other programs and then deal with the backlash when they bench or cut a current player mid-season.

"Hey sorry kid, I know you committed as a 14 year old to play here, but Tommy who we just transferred in from a small school is a better player than you now and has really been lighting it up this season, so we poached him. Anyway, we need you to clean out your locker tomorrow and pack up your stuff because he'll be wearing your number next game..."

The sad part is that as S.G. previously mentioned, no kid believes they are the one that will be shuffled OUT of the team. They all think it will happen to someone else.

Ryan
                    Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                    https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                    Originally posted by geezer
                    Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                    Originally posted by manurespreader
                    ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                      I don't see why a player couldn't change teams mid-season under the new proposal, but not at ANY point. You can't just enroll at a school week 4 of the semester or something like that. So maybe there is one chance per season for a player to come in during the season.

I would love to see some of these big schools pluck kids out of other programs and then deal with the backlash when they bench or cut a current player mid-season.

"Hey sorry kid, I know you committed as a 14 year old to play here, but Tommy who we just transferred in from a small school is a better player than you now and has really been lighting it up this season, so we poached him. Anyway, we need you to clean out your locker tomorrow and pack up your stuff because he'll be wearing your number next game..."

The sad part is that as S.G. previously mentioned, no kid believes they are the one that will be shuffled OUT of the team. They all think it will happen to someone else.

Ryan
                      I just don't see because scholarships are by a school year, yes? So how do you find scholarship money to give to a kid moving mid-season? I guess it could be possible but I think its a horrible idea to allow. Its one thing to allow kids to transfer between seasons, but I can't imagine mid-season being a good idea...
                      Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

I just don't see because scholarships are by a school year, yes? So how do you find scholarship money to give to a kid moving mid-season?
                        The same way you find playing time for 30 players in the same season: Make promises now, break them later.

Christmas Break...
                        "Hey coach I got your message so I'm calling you back. Yeah, I'm having a great season on my current team, but was curious why you called."
                        "You've put up some great stats and I think you would be a great addition to our team for the second half of our season. I know it's mid-season and we can't get you a scholy now, but we'll certainly get you one in the fall when we cut some dead weight off the roster."
                        "Sounds great coach I can't wait to join the team. I'm sure my parents won't mind paying for a semester of school since I'll get a full ride next season.

Next Fall...
                        "Aww gee, sorry kid, we said we could get you a scholy, but we actually just poached this hot new kid from one of the small schools so we're actually cutting you to make room for him... Don't worry you can just transfer again to another school without sitting out. If not, you can always commit to Wisconsin or Michigan and they'll be glad to put you on their wait list. I hear Michigan only has 40 kids ahead of you that have to come in this season or next season. Well, good luck to you..."

Ryan
                        Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                        https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                        Originally posted by geezer
                        Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                        Originally posted by manurespreader
                        ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

It’s important to keep in mind you can only award the equivalent of 18 scholarships in hockey. Barely anyone is getting a four year long full ride.
                          Co-Founder/Editor of BGSUHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by BGDrew View Post
                            It’s important to keep in mind you can only award the equivalent of 18 scholarships in hockey. Barely anyone is getting a four year long full ride.
                            Don't institutions get around that by awarding the players who are also good students academic scholarships? Or does the NCAA not allow that?
                            2005-2006: 7-25-6
                            2006-2007: 18-17-5
                            2007-2008: 14-20-5
                            2008-2009: 6-25-7
                            2009-2010: 5-30-1

Comment

Originally posted by BGDrew View Post
                              Like a full ride matters? Almost no one is getting ZERO as well...

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                                The same way you find playing time for 30 players in the same season: Make promises now, break them later.

Christmas Break...
                                "Hey coach I got your message so I'm calling you back. Yeah, I'm having a great season on my current team, but was curious why you called."
                                "You've put up some great stats and I think you would be a great addition to our team for the second half of our season. I know it's mid-season and we can't get you a scholy now, but we'll certainly get you one in the fall when we cut some dead weight off the roster."
                                "Sounds great coach I can't wait to join the team. I'm sure my parents won't mind paying for a semester of school since I'll get a full ride next season.

Next Fall...
                                "Aww gee, sorry kid, we said we could get you a scholy, but we actually just poached this hot new kid from one of the small schools so we're actually cutting you to make room for him... Don't worry you can just transfer again to another school without sitting out. If not, you can always commit to Wisconsin or Michigan and they'll be glad to put you on their wait list. I hear Michigan only has 40 kids ahead of you that have to come in this season or next season. Well, good luck to you..."

Ryan
                                Initially that could happen. At some point, after a number of kids get cut/fed a line, the scouts/advisers/agents are going to wise up and tell kids to avoid said program.

Look at the number of transfers in college hockey now. It is incredibly low. If a player is going to bolt, they are going to go pro. This isn't like NCAA football or basketball where there a substantial minor league system.

After thinking about it some more, they should let "no penalty" transfers to happen after the first year, academic/family situation change, or coaching/league change. Other transfers should have some form of conditions associated with them. Something to the effect of if a student transfers they can't participate in team lead/organized off season conditioning, must have the equivalent or better scholarship waiting for them, and there must be an equivalent roster spot available for them.

There needs to be a balance of power between the athlete, "contracted" institution, and "receiving" institution.

Comment

Working...
                                X