WCHA Season Thread 2017-18: In Which We Try For Two Bids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mmf View Post
    I realize my comment doesn’t resonate with the “but what have you done for me lately” philosophy.
    But I would like to point out that through the 2016-17 season of the nWCHA, UAA had the highest winning percentage in NC games, and UAF was tied for 2nd. And as pointed out, we both played some close games this year but couldn’t seal the deal. But even at that, through our short 4+ year history, UAA still has the 3rd highest winning percentage in NC games and UAF the 4th. BGSU and MTU are 1 & 2 respectively.
    Morale victory.
    Just to be clear. My disinterest in this team became of the Uni's disinterest. Without the success of the hockey team, the other teams would not be where they are. Way to pay back the hockey team. **** UAA.

Comment

• Re: WCHA Season Thread 2017-18: In Which We Try For Two Bids

you're probably right that it's not any better, it just seems better. But last year I thought, maybe I was wrong, but I thought UAA and Alaska were not near as competitive and same for UAH.

And if you looked at the polls, it's such a joke. Every year the same stuff from writers. Duluth ranked in the top 10? Harvard? I'm sure they're good but really? Have they even played a game?
      MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
        you're probably right that it's not any better, it just seems better. But last year I thought, maybe I was wrong, but I thought UAA and Alaska were not near as competitive and same for UAH.

And if you looked at the polls, it's such a joke. Every year the same stuff from writers. Duluth ranked in the top 10? Harvard? I'm sure they're good but really? Have they even played a game?
        Harvard is fine...there is no reason that UMD should even be ranked anymore...even if it does end up that they are good...
        Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
          Harvard is fine...there is no reason that UMD should even be ranked anymore...even if it does end up that they are good...
          I don't have a problem seeing Harvard ranked, but number 2 seems a bit much.
          MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Comment

• Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
              I don't have a problem seeing Harvard ranked, but number 2 seems a bit much.
              They return almost everyone from a team that made the Frozen Four.
              Number 2 is not too high.
              "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
              -Gallagher

R.I.P.
              Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
              Grandma ~ Jan 2004
              Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
              Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

Originally posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
                They return almost everyone from a team that made the Frozen Four. Number 2 is not too high.
                Q: At the end of the season, how many of the "Top-20 teams on paper with no games played" are ranked in the Top 20?
                A: None

They don't belong in the top 20 under that scenario and they don't belong in a poll now either with a 0-0-0 record. Ask BU how their 2016-17 team compared on paper vs on the ice.

In summary, ranking teams that haven't played a single game is pointless and show how little the polls are about current success and how much they are simply a stroke on the back based on past success. Team perceived to be "historical winners" remain the polls for weeks after their success on the ice has been flushed away. If there are any further questions, see Exhibit B: Ranked Teams w/ Losing Records which is equally stupid.

Ryan
                Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                Originally posted by geezer
                Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                Originally posted by manurespreader
                ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

• Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                  Q: At the end of the season, how many of the "Top-20 teams on paper with no games played" are ranked in the Top 20?

They don't belong in the top 20 under that scenario and they don't belong in a poll now either with a 0-0-0 record. Ask BU how their 2016-17 team compared on paper vs on the ice.

In summary, ranking teams that haven't played a single game is pointless and show how little the polls are about current success and how much they are simply a stroke on the back based on past success. Team perceived to be "historical winners" remain the polls for weeks after their success on the ice has been flushed away. If there are any further questions, see Exhibit B: Ranked Teams w/ Losing Records which is equally stupid.

Ryan
                  Good thing it's not the end of the season then isn't it.
                  What a ridiculous question.
                  Harvard being ranked 2 at this moment is fine...especially when the poll is for fun and discussion anyway.
                  "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
                  -Gallagher

R.I.P.
                  Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
                  Grandma ~ Jan 2004
                  Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
                  Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                    Ask BU how their 2016-17 team compared on paper vs on the ice.
                    They were ranked 4th in the preseason poll, and finished the year ranked 7th. I'd say that's pretty close.
                    Originally posted by dicaslover
                    Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
                    Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post

Ryan
                      Rankings are a measure of how good individuals think a team is. If we're just going to go by records, just have a "national standings", and no voters. Just because a team has a bad 4 game stretch, does not mean that it isn't still a good team. The whole point of human voters is that they should have some kind of cognitive ability to realize this, and actually put together a list of teams based on many variables, not just record.

And it is asinine to say that Harvard doesn't belong because they haven't played a game. So what if their schedule is such that they don't play the first several weeks of the season? Does that somehow make them a worse team? As far as I can tell, they should still be a really **** good team, and it looks like the voters agree. They belong where they're at, at this point.

edit: and to answer your question correctly, last season 12 of the 20 ranked teams in the first poll of the season were ranked in the last poll of the season. All of the top 6 teams in the first poll were ranked at the end of the season, and only 1 in the pre-season top 10 was not ranked in the top 20 at the end of the season. Seems like the voters didn't do that terrible considering how unreliable "teams on paper" apparently is.
                      Last edited by bigblue_dl; 10-17-2017, 08:32 AM.
                      Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Good night for the WCHA so far Ferris, NMU, and BSU all win. LSSU currently up on Denver 2-1 after 2.

Comment

Originally posted by <3_Blizzard View Post
                          Good night for the WCHA so far Ferris, NMU, and BSU all win. LSSU currently up on Denver 2-1 after 2.
                          3-0-1 on the night for the WCHA out of conference (minus the UAA-UA_ game). Ferris beats Mercyhurst, Bemidji downs #20 Air Force, Northern defeats #6 Wisconsin in overtime and Lake Superior State ties #1 Denver.
                          Go Lakers!

Check out the Laker Hockey Blog, it's good for you! http://lakerhockeyblog.com

Comment

2017-18 WCHA Non-Conference Schedule

The WCHA has 65 non-conference games this year, 18 home, 33 road, and 14 neutral site. I am not including non-conference games between league opponents and exhibitions in this total.

25 NCHC Games (3-9-3)
                            15-17 Big10 Games (2-5-0)
                            3-5 Hockey East Games (2-0-0)
                            7 Atlantic Hockey Games (2-3-1)
                            5 ECAC Games (1-0-0)
                            5-7 Independent Games (0-0-0)
                            4-6 Interleague Games (Not counted in league total)
                            7 Exhibitions (Not counted in league or team total)
                            TOTAL: 10-17-4

ALABAMA-HUNTSVILLE (0-2-0)
                            -2 at Notre Dame L 3-5, L 0-4
                            -2 at Cornell
                            -2 at Arizona State

ALASKA (2-3-1)
                            -Simon Fraser (EXH) W 6-0
                            -2 with Air Force L 2-3, T 1-1
                            -2 at St. Cloud L 3-6, L 4-5 (OT)
                            -at Alaska-Anchorage W 6-2
                            -Alaska-Anchorage W 3-2

ALASKA-ANCHORAGE (0-5-1)
                            -Simon Fraser (EXH) W 6-1
                            -2 with North Dakota T 1-1, L 2-3 (OT)
                            -2 at Colorado College L 1-6, L 2-3
                            -Alaska L 2-6
                            -at Alaska L 2-3

BEMIDJI STATE (2-1-1)
                            -Minnesota-Duluth W 5-2
                            -at Minnesota-Duluth T 0-0
                            -2 with Air Force W 4-1, L 1-5
                            -2 @ Princeton
                            -North Dakota
                            -at North Dakota

BOWLING GREEN (1-2-0)
                            -Wilfrid Laurier (EXH) W 3-1
                            -US Under 18 Team (EXH) W 4-1
                            -at Western Michigan L 1-3
                            -Michigan State W 3-1
                            -at Michigan State L 2-3
                            -2 with Miami
                            -Western Michigan
                            -vs. Michigan (Detroit)
                            -vs. Michigan State/Michigan Tech (Detroit)

FERRIS STATE (2-2-0)
                            -at Western Michigan L 1-6
                            -Western Michigan W 3-2
                            -2 at Mercyhurst W 3-2, L 1-4
                            -2 at Michigan
                            -at Michigan State
                            -Michigan State

LAKE SUPERIOR STATE (1-2-1)
                            -Laurentian (EXH) W 3-2
                            -Northern Michigan W 5-2
                            -at Northern Michigan L 1-4
                            -2 at Denver T 3-3, L 1-5
                            -2 at Michigan State
                            -vs. Robert Morris (Pittsburgh)
                            -vs. Arizona State/Providence (Pittsburgh)

MICHIGAN TECH (2-1-0)
                            -at Wisconsin L 2-3
                            -vs. Union (Duluth) W 6-3
                            -vs. Minnesota-Duluth (Duluth) W 4-3
                            -vs. Michigan State (Detroit)
                            -vs. Michigan/Bowling Green (Detroit)
                            -vs. Boston College (Las Vegas)
                            -vs. Arizona State/Northern Michigan (Las Vegas)
                            -2 with Arizona State

MINNESOTA STATE (2-1-0)
                            -Regina (EXH) W 8-0
                            -St. Cloud State L 0-4
                            -2 at Boston University W 6-3, W 3-0
                            -at Minnesota-Duluth
                            -at St. Cloud State
                            -Minnesota-Duluth
                            -US Under 18 Team (EXH)

NORTHERN MICHIGAN (2-2-0)
                            -at Lake Superior State L 3-5
                            -Lake Superior State W 4-1
                            -2 vs. Wisconsin (Green Bay) W 5-4 (OT), L 0-4
                            -2 at Nebraska-Omaha
                            -vs. Arizona State (Las Vegas)
                            -vs. Boston College/Michigan Tech (Las Vegas)
                            Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
                            FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
                            NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
                            NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
                            NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
                            NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
                            Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
                            Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

Does anyone know how the conference is doing compared to the others? Are we on track to putting a second team in, or do you think we're falling behind?
                              LSSU Alumni & Fan.

Still a work in progress, but please join us at the (unofficial) Laker Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Deman View Post
                                Does anyone know how the conference is doing compared to the others? Are we on track to putting a second team in, or do you think we're falling behind?
                                http://www.uscho.com/stats/interconf...men/2017-2018/
                                That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Working...
                                X