WCHA Season Thread 2017-18: In Which We Try For Two Bids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Hatch_man View Post
    Aparch, I'm glad they reached out to you for damage control, but I'm curious about a couple things that maybe you could shed some light on.

First: why did they shut down online and/or phone sales?? I believe that was the number one issue people were frustrated with.

Two: why not have in person sales a day later?? This is the part that "appears" malicious by nmu... Anyone can see that any die-hard tech fan that was in Mankato had zero chance to get from Mankato to Marquette to get in line.

Third: Listening to our coaches show on Tuesday, he was very candid on how the tech AD had to fight with nmu to even get the tickets the wcha mandates we get and the allowance of the pep band which is also allowed by the wcha.

I'm curious if you have any insight to those specific issues after talking to nmu.
    Number one was my big issue. When the server took a dump from demand before they were able to get the game loaded, they wanted to make sure local fans got the chance for tickets. That was one point where the University was very apologetic in not getting the word out better. The backlash emphasised just how wide the area is NMU fans and alumni come in from or have penciled in this trip all year if it happens. They realized how much this hurt and that they needed to communicate this better after the fact.

Had they Tweeted a photo of Wildcat Willy taking his laptop to the help desk saying they were 'sorry the online sales weren't working, were going to plan B' overnight, it might not have made me feel better immediately that morning but it might have lessened the blow by admitting things changed. The silence added to the frustration.

Two: It wasn't mentioned specifically, but it seemed to fall into the category from point one: a hurried decision that lead to unintended consequences.

Three: I didn't pry on this one, but it was briefly mentioned to me that they did get 150 tickets, plus 40 for the band per WCHA, plus player tickets so ~200-ish tickets?

Obviously the call was geared more toward my concerns as an Alumnus, so it may not be the answer you're looking for on the Tech side of things.
    Last edited by aparch; 03-15-2018, 09:24 PM.
    “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

• Re: WCHA Season Thread 2017-18: In Which We Try For Two Bids

Aparch, I would hope Northern would make amends to get the faithful in the building, a spare seat in the press box, University box, something- did they offer anything to the alumni. From our Chat board, good news that some of our loyal fan base have tickets available and in hand. I will be in front of the tv, hoping to repeat the excitement felt when Hanna ended it last year. Go Huskies.

Comment

Originally posted by Huskiefan906 View Post
        Aparch, I would hope Northern would make amends to get the faithful in the building, a spare seat in the press box, University box, something- did they offer anything to the alumni. From our Chat board, good news that some of our loyal fan base have tickets available and in hand. I will be in front of the tv, hoping to repeat the excitement felt when Hanna ended it last year. Go Huskies.
        I bet that some tickets, which were bought up on the first day, are now falling in price. Might be some good ones, especially tomorrow.
        MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
          I bet that some tickets, which were bought up on the first day, are now falling in price. Might be some good ones, especially tomorrow.
          i have at least 2 friends in the marquette area and neither has heard much of available tickets. I was fortunate to get one through MTU.
          Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
            The rule regarding visiting bands at regular season games goes back much farther than 2003. I started at Tech in 1992 and already at that time the band could not perform at road games. It was by league rule at that time as well because plenty of band members traveled on their own dime to road games but could not bring instruments into the arena. We were allowed to play at neutral site conference games such as the Final Five and the school paid our way. Although during my time, the band only played at the Final Five when Tech was playing.

I know the ban on Tech's band at NMU didn't apply to ALL sports as we played at the Yooper dome during my time, and even did a half-time show one year. Yeah astro-turf! Throw your drumsticks at the ground and see how high they bounce. At first we tried throwing flute players into the turf to see how high they would bounce but the director put a stop to that so then we resorted to just throwing drum sticks. Drummers are easily amused...

Ryan
            I went to Northern from 84-88. All I Know is the Tech band never missed a game at Lakeview during those years. I hated them, loud and obnoxious, which I am sure was the intent, thus, the ban was well received on my end.
            “They are a **** site better than the U.S. Army, at least we know that they will be there in the morning.”
            – Lewis B. Chesty Puller
            when a journalist asked him about being surrounded by 22. enemy divisions

Comment

Originally posted by devildog View Post
              I went to Northern from 84-88. All I Know is the Tech band never missed a game at Lakeview during those years. I hated them, loud and obnoxious, which I am sure was the intent, thus, the ban was well received on my end.
              Banning opponents because your own band/fans aren't loud enough just screams of cowardice.
              Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

My only hope is that BEC and WCHATV have their act together this weekend and can provide a good product outside of the TV6 broadcast area.

I'm not sure how you ensure that but all parties should make sure they do everything in their power to make sure there is enough bandwith, all equipment is in tip top shape, etc.

This is a huge deal for the WCHA; get it right please!!!

Comment

Originally posted by rustedblades View Post
                  My only hope is that BEC and WCHATV have their act together this weekend and can provide a good product outside of the TV6 broadcast area.

I'm not sure how you ensure that but all parties should make sure they do everything in their power to make sure there is enough bandwith, all equipment is in tip top shape, etc.

They will be using the FOX-UP feed for the webstream, per Bill Robertson at today's Wildcat Blue Line luncheon...
                  It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

I work in Operations, and while I can see the kinds of mistakes that were made here, it's ... not good. Of course, the only way that you get good at Operations is by being bad at Operations.

GFM <— just thankful that he hasn't gotten an astronaut killed yet...
                    Geof F. Morris
                    UAH BSE MAE 2002
                    UAHHockey.com

Comment

• Originally posted by rustedblades View Post

The crew at the BEC has not been the problem. It’s all come from Stretch Internet.
                      "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                        The crew at the BEC has not been the problem. It’s all come from Stretch Internet.
                        And as far as I know, Stretch continually blames the arenas (Not just NMU)...so what is it? I've always thought it was something about getting the feed to stretch from the arena...but who knows.
                        Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

• Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                          I'm guessing a big part of the problem on Sunday was switching to the Tech game during intermission for OT. It was flawless until then.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                            And as far as I know, Stretch continually blames the arenas (Not just NMU)...so what is it? I've always thought it was something about getting the feed to stretch from the arena...but who knows.
                            There are arenas where transmission can be probematic. Believe me, I know. If Im having internet problems what is happening to the video signal. NMU is not one of them. Last weekend, I spoke with the producer here about complaints. The problems were not coming from here and the double checked everything again.
                            "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                              There are arenas where transmission can be probematic. Believe me, I know. If Im having internet problems what is happening to the video signal. NMU is not one of them. Last weekend, I spoke with the producer here about complaints. The problems were not coming from here and the double checked everything again.
                              fair enough, I just know that every time I've complained, its felts like stretch is either right to blame the arena or passing the buck.

Comment

I don't see the FOX UP available on my apple TV, I routinely get fox north and college sports on there but no UP. Does anyone know if that is available other than on WCHA-TV?

Comment

Working...
                                X