Page 15 of 50 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast
Results 281 to 300 of 985

Thread: WCHA Season Thread 2017-18: In Which We Try For Two Bids

  1. #281
    beaverhockeyfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Garfield and Bemidji State, MN
    Posts
    3,944

    Re: WCHA Season Thread 2017-18: In Which We Try For Two Bids

    WCHA Standings (Points, Games Played)

    1 Minnesota State 42 18
    2 Bowling Green 34 16
    3 Northern Michigan 31 16
    4 Bemidji State 30 16
    5 Michigan Tech 28 18
    6 Alabama Huntsville 21 18
    7 Alaska 20 16
    8 Ferris State 19 16
    9 Lake Superior State 12 16
    10 Alaska Anchorage 9 14

    Conference Schedule remaining:

    Mankato: at Alaska, Anchorage, at Huntsville, Ferris, Bemidji
    Bowling Green: at Northern, Anchorage, at Lake State, Michigan Tech, at Anchorage, at Huntsville
    Northern: Bowling Green, Lake State, at Anchorage, at Huntsville, Alaska, home and home with Tech
    Bemidji: at Ferris, at Huntsville, Lake State, at Tech, Alaska, at Mankato
    Michigan Tech: Alaska, at Ferris, at Bowling Green, Bemidji, home and home with Northern
    Huntsville: at Anchorage, Bemidji, Northern, Mankato, Bowling Green
    Alaska: Mankato, at Tech, Ferris, at Northern, at Bemidji, Anchorage
    Ferris: at Lake State, Bemidji, Tech, at Alaska, at Mankato, Lake State
    Lake State: Ferris, at Northern, Bowling Green, at Bemidji, at Alaska, at Ferris
    Anchorage: Huntsville, at Bowling Green, Northern, at Mankato, Lake State, Bowling Green, at Alaska
    Millsy

    NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
    FROZEN FOUR 2009!


    "Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

    BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
    NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
    NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
    NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
    NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
    Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
    Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

  2. #282
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    south sioux city, ne
    Posts
    1,032

    Re: WCHA Season Thread 2017-18: In Which We Try For Two Bids

    Quote Originally Posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post
    2017-18 WCHA Non-Conference Schedule

    25 NCHC Games (3-14-4)
    15 Big10 Games (5-10-0)
    4 Hockey East Games (3-0-1)
    7 Atlantic Hockey Games (2-4-1)
    5 ECAC Games (2-3-0)
    7 Independent Games (2-3-0)
    5 Interleague Games (Not counted in league total)
    8 Exhibitions (Not counted in league or team total)
    TOTAL: 17-34-6
    So we went 3-0-1 against BU and BC, but have a losing record against Atlantic Hockey? Weird year.

  3. #283
    beaverhockeyfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Garfield and Bemidji State, MN
    Posts
    3,944

    Re: WCHA Season Thread 2017-18: In Which We Try For Two Bids

    Quote Originally Posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
    So we went 3-0-1 against BU and BC, but have a losing record against Atlantic Hockey? Weird year.
    It is. I thought the WCHA would get to at least 20 wins this year, but now I am not so sure. BSU has two against North Dakota this weekend (hoping for a Beaver Split), Mankato has St. Cloud and Duluth left, and Tech has two with Arizona State, which has a winning record against the WCHA right now. Those teams will have to go a combined 3-3 to get to 20.

    The next question is, will BSU, Tech and Mankato end up with winning records out of conference???? The only way this league is getting more than one bid this year is Mankato winning the regular season and maintaining their high Pairwise ranking, but then getting knocked off in the Championship game.
    Millsy

    NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
    FROZEN FOUR 2009!


    "Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

    BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
    NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
    NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
    NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
    NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
    Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
    Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

  4. #284
    Roll along you BG Warriors!
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    OH
    Posts
    373

    Re: WCHA Season Thread 2017-18: In Which We Try For Two Bids

    Quote Originally Posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post
    The only way this league is getting more than one bid this year is Mankato winning the regular season and maintaining their high Pairwise ranking, but then getting knocked off in the Championship game.
    True dat. The only other team that's close is BG who is sitting at 17 in the pairwise -- but that's all the higher we're climbing. Going 0-3-1 against the Nacho's will never get us past Miami State who is currently sitting at 16. Only hope is for us to win out (not gonna happen given the 2nd half conference road schedule) then have help from lower teams beating higher teams (Michigan beating ND this weekend would have helped). But that only goes so far (Maine beating Northeastern helps Maine more than us).

    Bottom line: I agree Mankato has to stay strong then blow a tire in the playoffs. Can't believe that to pocket two bids for the conference I have to root for those guys.

  5. #285
    Still upright
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    SE Michigan
    Posts
    6,401

    Re: WCHA Season Thread 2017-18: In Which We Try For Two Bids

    Looks like we need to schedule the ECAC and HE more often.
    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

    It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

  6. #286
    Still upright
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    SE Michigan
    Posts
    6,401

    Re: WCHA Season Thread 2017-18: In Which We Try For Two Bids

    It's just my opinion but I think the League and the NCAA needs to do more to encourage scoring, in our league and in College Hockey in general.
    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

    It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

  7. #287
    gfmorris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Madison, AL, USA
    Posts
    7,843

    Re: WCHA Season Thread 2017-18: In Which We Try For Two Bids

    Minnesota State can clinch a playoff berth this weekend with two wins as long as at least one of them is in the first 65:00 minutes.

    GFM
    Geof F. Morris
    UAH BSE MAE 2002
    UAHHockey.com

  8. #288
    beaverhockeyfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Garfield and Bemidji State, MN
    Posts
    3,944

    Re: WCHA Season Thread 2017-18: In Which We Try For Two Bids

    Quote Originally Posted by manurespreader View Post
    It's just my opinion but I think the League and the NCAA needs to do more to encourage scoring, in our league and in College Hockey in general.
    I guess I am not sure how much more they can do to accomplish that. They already have put rules in place to eliminate a lot of clutching and grabbing, and I think it has made a difference in the last few years. Teams are still playing a defensive game, but I cannot see a way of legislating that out of the game.

    You could shrink goalie gear, but would that make a difference? Would the equipment companies have a fit due to having to have a different set of standards for different levels? And goalies have gotten bigger and more athletic, so smaller pads just may make them that much more mobile and make even more saves on shots they may not get to now?

    I know there was a push a while back on legislating out blocking shots, but I don't think anything ever became of that. And that would put another level of decision making on the officials, ie, did the player block it on purpose or were they merely in the way of the shot?

    Make the nets bigger? That push has been out there recently, not that I am in favor of that.
    Millsy

    NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
    FROZEN FOUR 2009!


    "Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

    BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
    NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
    NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
    NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
    NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
    Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
    Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

  9. #289
    Still upright
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    SE Michigan
    Posts
    6,401

    Re: WCHA Season Thread 2017-18: In Which We Try For Two Bids

    Quote Originally Posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post
    I guess I am not sure how much more they can do to accomplish that. They already have put rules in place to eliminate a lot of clutching and grabbing, and I think it has made a difference in the last few years. Teams are still playing a defensive game, but I cannot see a way of legislating that out of the game.

    You could shrink goalie gear, but would that make a difference? Would the equipment companies have a fit due to having to have a different set of standards for different levels? And goalies have gotten bigger and more athletic, so smaller pads just may make them that much more mobile and make even more saves on shots they may not get to now?

    I know there was a push a while back on legislating out blocking shots, but I don't think anything ever became of that. And that would put another level of decision making on the officials, ie, did the player block it on purpose or were they merely in the way of the shot?

    Make the nets bigger? That push has been out there recently, not that I am in favor of that.
    I think the NHL is considering making the net a little bigger, and I think going straight to 3 on 3 might also help in OT. But you're right otherwise.
    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

    It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

  10. #290
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Southwest MI
    Posts
    5,790

    Re: WCHA Season Thread 2017-18: In Which We Try For Two Bids

    I think Bob Gainey proposed quite a few years ago that a player couldn't leave his feet to block a shot, but that proposal didn't get much traction. With today's technology, it seems that they could significantly reduce the size of goalie gear while still keeping them safe.

  11. #291
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    U.P.
    Posts
    326

    Re: WCHA Season Thread 2017-18: In Which We Try For Two Bids

    Quote Originally Posted by manurespreader View Post
    I think the NHL is considering making the net a little bigger, and I think going straight to 3 on 3 might also help in OT. But you're right otherwise.
    Hockey - at any level - doesn't need more scoring. Each goal in a 2-1 game is much more valuable than a goal in a 6-4 game. Scoring chances make the game more exciting, not goals. One of the best games I watched was the 2007 GLI championship game between Tech and some team from Ann Arbor. It ended 1-0 in double OT. From the beginning of the 3rd period you knew that the first goal could win the game and it got more intense as each minute passed.

    I'm sick of this argument that hockey needs more scoring. If you want to see a lot of points, go watch basketball.

    Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

  12. #292
    beaverhockeyfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Garfield and Bemidji State, MN
    Posts
    3,944

    Re: WCHA Season Thread 2017-18: In Which We Try For Two Bids

    Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    I think Bob Gainey proposed quite a few years ago that a player couldn't leave his feet to block a shot, but that proposal didn't get much traction. With today's technology, it seems that they could significantly reduce the size of goalie gear while still keeping them safe.
    While I agree with there being technology available, would it make goalies even more agile? They are already athletic as h*ll right now, and would the smaller pads free them up to make even more saves that they can't get to right now? That is one of the arguments I have heard about going to smaller pads in the NHL.

    I can see leg pads staying the same. How about shrinking the size of the catcher? Look back at clips from the 80s and early 90s, those catchers look to be almost the size of baseball mitts, now they are laundry baskets (in comparison). I believe they have made some size reductions in the size of the chest protector recently, but could it be reduced some more?

    I am not a goalie gear expert, but if my seven year old son has his way (as of right now), I may have to become one.......
    Millsy

    NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
    FROZEN FOUR 2009!


    "Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

    BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
    NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
    NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
    NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
    NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
    Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
    Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

  13. #293
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    205

    Re: WCHA Season Thread 2017-18: In Which We Try For Two Bids

    Quote Originally Posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post
    While I agree with there being technology available, would it make goalies even more agile? They are already athletic as h*ll right now, and would the smaller pads free them up to make even more saves that they can't get to right now? That is one of the arguments I have heard about going to smaller pads in the NHL.

    I can see leg pads staying the same. How about shrinking the size of the catcher? Look back at clips from the 80s and early 90s, those catchers look to be almost the size of baseball mitts, now they are laundry baskets (in comparison). I believe they have made some size reductions in the size of the chest protector recently, but could it be reduced some more?

    I am not a goalie gear expert, but if my seven year old son has his way (as of right now), I may have to become one.......
    I think one of the arguments, at least at the NHL level, is fixing the goalie jersey, since in a lot of cases there is a ton of material that hangs down on the arms, arm pits and sides.

    You could say it's for mobility, and I would tend to agree, but then you have extra material making stops, or slowing pucks rather than the player himself. If they could fit the jerseys onto their pads better, I think that would go a long way to help scoring. Not dramatically, since goalies are so athletic
    LSSU Alumni & Fan.

    Still a work in progress, but please join us at the (unofficial) Laker Hockey Blog

  14. #294
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Southwest MI
    Posts
    5,790

    Re: WCHA Season Thread 2017-18: In Which We Try For Two Bids

    Quote Originally Posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post
    While I agree with there being technology available, would it make goalies even more agile? They are already athletic as h*ll right now, and would the smaller pads free them up to make even more saves that they can't get to right now? That is one of the arguments I have heard about going to smaller pads in the NHL.
    In my opinion, reducing the size of goalie gear would result in far more goals than the increased freedom of movement by goalies with smaller gear would decrease goals. There may be some tradeoff there, but if more goals are desired, I think reducing the size of goalie gear (pads, jersey's, whatever) would give you that.

  15. #295
    Michigan Tech Fan
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    2,240

    Re: WCHA Season Thread 2017-18: In Which We Try For Two Bids

    Smaller goalie gear isn't going to happen in NCAA hockey. Maybe in the NHL, but not college. You're talking about reducing protective gear in one of the few organizations that requires full face masks for all players. If they do start talking about about smaller gear, then I recommend whoever is on that committee will also be the ones wearing the smaller gear on the ice taking shots from NCAA players.

    "Here Mr/Ms Committee member. Put on this smaller gear and let us know if any of these 80mph slapshots hurt more, or increase your chance of injury, now that we've reduced the size of your protective gear by 10%..."

    I see zero chance that smaller goalie gear comes to college hockey before composite sticks are banned. (And that's not going to happen either.)

    In summary, anyone who is in favor of smaller goalie gear has never played the position.

    Ryan
    Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
    http://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
    Quote Originally Posted by geezer View Post
    Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.

  16. #296
    mmf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    Posts
    2,641

    Re: WCHA Season Thread 2017-18: In Which We Try For Two Bids

    How about allowing for longer puck possession in the o-zone.

    After a team crosses the blue line and retains possession as normal, they donít lose the zone until the puck crosses back over the red line. A half rink to work with. Would benefit higher skilled, faster, and more offensively minded teams, open up room for more exciting play, and could encourage fewer interference, holding and stupid penalties because being a man down would even be more problematic. There would probably be substantially more turnovers in the expanded zone, resulting in more quality scoring chances (in both directions). Less playing time wasted clearing the zone. Might help reduce endless neutral zone play. I never played the game, so maybe there are some real downsides to this.
    "Who got the Cup?"
    UAF UAA UAA UAA UAF UAF UAA UAA UAF UAF UAF UAF UAF UAA UAA UAA UAF* UAF* UAF* UAF UAF UAF UAF UAF UAF

    * lost to NCAA mucky-mucks but not to UAA on the ice.

  17. #297
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    south sioux city, ne
    Posts
    1,032

    Re: WCHA Season Thread 2017-18: In Which We Try For Two Bids

    Quote Originally Posted by gfmorris View Post
    Minnesota State can clinch a playoff berth this weekend with two wins as long as at least one of them is in the first 65:00 minutes.

    GFM
    Did you have to go mentioning it? Those who believe in jinxes will now blame you for any lost points.

  18. #298
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    186

    Re: WCHA Season Thread 2017-18: In Which We Try For Two Bids

    Bigger nets, enforcing icing on penalty kill clears, ban non-skating shot blocks (if you aren't on two skate blades when blocking a shot, penalty), penalty for shooting the puck out of play in your own defensive zone...
    Co-Founder/Editor of BGSUHockey.com

  19. #299
    Still upright
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    SE Michigan
    Posts
    6,401

    Re: WCHA Season Thread 2017-18: In Which We Try For Two Bids

    Quote Originally Posted by MTUHuskies View Post
    Hockey - at any level - doesn't need more scoring. Each goal in a 2-1 game is much more valuable than a goal in a 6-4 game. Scoring chances make the game more exciting, not goals. One of the best games I watched was the 2007 GLI championship game between Tech and some team from Ann Arbor. It ended 1-0 in double OT. From the beginning of the 3rd period you knew that the first goal could win the game and it got more intense as each minute passed.

    I'm sick of this argument that hockey needs more scoring. If you want to see a lot of points, go watch basketball.

    Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    I'm not advocating more scoring. I'm advocating we don't continue to decline any more than we already have.
    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

    It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

  20. #300
    gfmorris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Madison, AL, USA
    Posts
    7,843

    Re: WCHA Season Thread 2017-18: In Which We Try For Two Bids

    Quote Originally Posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
    Did you have to go mentioning it? Those who believe in jinxes will now blame you for any lost points.
    I mean, I think they're going to get five more points this year. If I have the ability to sway the standings, wouldn't UAH be #1?

    GFM
    Geof F. Morris
    UAH BSE MAE 2002
    UAHHockey.com

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •