WCHA Season Thread 2017-18: In Which We Try For Two Bids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BGDrew View Post
    No one is disagreeing with that, but the NCHC doesn’t want Minnesota State.
    This is false — they don’t want an unbalanced conference. Had ASU had their rink taken care of, it would’ve already happened.

Which is why BGSU was asked by the NCHC to apply a couple of years ago — had they not had budget issues, I’m sure they would’ve loved to join fellow MAC schools Miami and WMU.
    AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

• Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
      This is false — they don’t want an unbalanced conference. Had ASU had their rink taken care of, it would’ve already happened.

Which is why BGSU was asked by the NCHC to apply a couple of years ago — had they not had budget issues, I’m sure they would’ve loved to join fellow MAC schools Miami and WMU.
      https://***********/letsgodu/status/975159633609461761?s=21

“Member institutions don’t seem interested.”

BG has never been interested in joining the NCHC. Being asked to apply doesn’t mean you’re looking to join.

BG would go independent before joining the NCHC.
      Co-Founder/Editor of BGSUHockey.com

Comment

• Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post

You haven’t talked to anyone at BG about that, have you.
        "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

• Re: WCHA Season Thread 2017-18: In Which We Try For Two Bids

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
          You haven’t talked to anyone at BG about that, have you.
          Forget it, he's rolling.
          Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
          "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
          Patreon for exclusive writing content
          Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

While I don't think that Mav's comment are necessarily wrong, I'm not sure I agree with the brashness of how it's being said.

My personal belief is that every school has a different situation with different priorities, different goals and different needs. Mike Hastings was and is the right coach for us. The advances that he is helping us make both in terms of competitiveness and within the community are, quite frankly, amazing. His first year that he took the job he doubled the number of wins from the year before (with virtually the same roster) and took us to the NCAAs for the first time in 10 years. He has won more games that any team in the country in his first 6 years here. I'm not saying (and I don't think anyone else is or was) that anyone should be bowing down at his feet, but for Mankato, he has been essential to our success as a program. For those of us that supported the program through long, long periods of ineptitude, we absolutely do not want to lose him.

Now, as I said before, different schools have different situations. For Mankato, I really do think that the NCHC is the right answer. I say that for a couple of things. One is that, right now, the NCHC is a better conference competitively. As Mav said, it's a lot easier to recruit kids to play in a league that has the highest level of competition. The numbers prove that the NCHC is a better conference. I truly do believe that the WCHA will continue to get better. The difference now from even 3 years ago is extremely large. It will continue to get better, but it doesn't happen overnight. My concern is how long will it take. The reason that's a concern for me is I'm not sure that Mankato could survive 2 or 3 down years in the WCHA. There is very little to keep the fan interest in terms of opponent if the play of MSU slips. Unfortunately, we all are a bunch of schools that have been shoved together out of necessity and there is very little connecting many of the schools. I can honestly say that I don't personally know a single graduate of any other WCHA member other than Bemidji (and I only know one person from there who I haven't seen or talked to for roughly 12 years). Like it or not, rivalries and who a team is playing make a difference, especially to casual fans. There is very little about the WCHA that appeals to casual MSU fans. That's not necessarily a knock on the league, it's just a reality of the situation that we don't have any other connection to the league other than the WCHA. I, personally, have felt an apathy starting to set in with fans and I'm not the only one that's felt it.

So, with those two factors being the case, it seems to me that it is important for MSU to jump conferences. I don't necessarily like it, but I came to the conclusion a couple of years ago that the innocence of college hockey (or at least what I perceived as the innocence of college hockey) is dead. There is no longer "doing what's in the best interest of college hockey." There is only doing what is best for our school (and that goes for everyone). Some schools may decide it's in their best interest to not invest as heavily as other schools. Some schools may decide that it's in their best interest to propose rule changes that slant things in their favor. Some schools may decide that it's in the best interest to win regardless of the costs. For MSU, at this point in time, it seems important to MSU to be in a conference that is geographically logical, puts us back together with the schools that we are associated with in every other sport and is more competitive right now. Hastings obviously wants that. The school seems to want it. The fans seem to want that. And players seem to want that.
            Mess with the bull, you get the horns.

Comment

Originally posted by Bale View Post
              The reason that's a concern for me is I'm not sure that Mankato could survive 2 or 3 down years in the WCHA. There is very little to keep the fan interest in terms of opponent if the play of MSU slips .
              It this is true, Mankato has a larger problem no matter which conference they play in. It's tough to put butts in the seats if your fan base is more interested in who the visiting team is.

I understand there are rivalry games that draw a bigger gate, but if there is very little fan interest for non-rivalry games, a university would have a hard time supporting that program.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by MTUHuskies View Post
                It this is true, Mankato has a larger problem no matter which conference they play in. It's tough to put butts in the seats if your fan base is more interested in who the visiting team is.

I understand there are rivalry games that draw a bigger gate, but if there is very little fan interest for non-rivalry games, a university would have a hard time supporting that program.

Two things....I'm not sure this is different than any other sport at any other level. MSU's paid attendance is actually up approximately from the old WCHA, but we are also winning nearly double the amount of games AND tickets are cheaper. It's not an issue right now, but it certainly could be in the future.

Secondly, you're leaving out a very key component that I covered. We don't have any REAL rivals in the conference. That's not to say that we don't have any competition, so please don't take it that way. We just don't have anyone that moves the meter because we don't have any other connections other than the conference.

As goofy as it may be, there is a reason that the NHL changed their playoff format so that teams are playing division and geographical rivals in the first round. It's because location, rivals and who you are playing make a difference. You can say that's sad, but the reality is that the casual fans are the ones that can make your revenues go up or down. Casual fans care about different things than what those of us that post on these message boards care about. Who your team plays, makes a difference.
                Mess with the bull, you get the horns.

Comment

Two things....I'm not sure this is different than any other sport at any other level. MSU's paid attendance is actually up approximately from the old WCHA, but we are also winning nearly double the amount of games AND tickets are cheaper. It's not an issue right now, but it certainly could be in the future.

Secondly, you're leaving out a very key component that I covered. We don't have any REAL rivals in the conference. That's not to say that we don't have any competition, so please don't take it that way. We just don't have anyone that moves the meter because we don't have any other connections other than the conference.

As goofy as it may be, there is a reason that the NHL changed their playoff format so that teams are playing division and geographical rivals in the first round. It's because location, rivals and who you are playing make a difference. You can say that's sad, but the reality is that the casual fans are the ones that can make your revenues go up or down. Casual fans care about different things than what those of us that post on these message boards care about. Who your team plays, makes a difference.
                  I understand what you're saying, but the current WCHA is only a few years old and rivalries take time to grow.

MTU didnt have anything in common with any of the old WCHA teams either - none of them were in the GLIAC - but had very healthy rivalries with many of them. I would expect MnSU to develop WCHA rivalries soon enough.

Comment

Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
                    With the SCSU job open, and Mike Hastings being an alum there, there’s concern about him leaving Mankato..
                    From what I could find with a quick online search, Hastings is currently making quite a bit more money at MSU than Motzko was making at St. Cloud. How likely is it that they would offer Hasting more than he is currently making?
                    My guy is a hard-nosed hockey player who is not afraid to crash the net. Your guy is a goon who runs the goalie.

Comment

Originally posted by MavsFan View Post
                      From what I could find with a quick online search, Hastings is currently making quite a bit more money at MSU than Motzko was making at St. Cloud. How likely is it that they would offer Hasting more than he is currently making?
                      It's funny you should ask that. After Granato signed at wisconsin for 500k, it raised every big team salary expectations. Tech offered almost the same thing that the former coach is getting at michigan, however that made no difference. You can expect minnesota, or any big team, to cover all the buyout issues and the pay of 500 is now the bench mark.
                      With regard to mankato , don't you play Duluth and st cloud as out of conference games right now and so going to the NCHC would give you marginally more rivalry games sure, and would cut travel some sure, but not to the great extent that fans might think.
                      I get you are leaving. I'd leave too, but I don't think its the panacea you are painting it to be.... And at least in the WCHA, you are wanted and listened to. What you say matters and the league is run well. In the NCHC, no one cares what you think.
                      MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                        After Granato signed at wisconsin for 500k, it raised every big team salary expectations.
                        Heck, you can make $285k per season coaching in the UP of Michigan now a days. Potulny just signed for $2.28 MILLION over the next eight years. I wonder if he'll still be coaching at NMU next Fall and be able to take advantage of that raise or if he'll be gone before next season... The price of iron ore must be going up faster than the price of copper.

Ryan
                        Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                        https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                        Originally posted by geezer
                        Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                        Originally posted by manurespreader
                        ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
                          Minnesota State will never be a blue blood college hockey program and will rarely, never consistently, beat MN for recruits.

It is realistic to think they can compete with SCSU and UMD however, two in state teams that have had more postseason and recruiting success than the Mavs.

Y’all may not think the conference has much to do with any of this, and that’s fine, but I’m a firm believer joining the NCHC would help the Mavs be better prepared for the postseason and enhance recruiting.
                          There is a better chance that moving to the NCHC turns Mankato into a doormat, ala Miami, than there is that the move turns them into a title contender. In fact, I'd say it is a much, much better chance.
                          Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

I can honestly say that I don't personally know a single graduate of any other WCHA member other than Bemidji (and I only know one person from there who I haven't seen or talked to for roughly 12 years). Like it or not, rivalries and who a team is playing make a difference, especially to casual fans. .
                            Maybe that's on you more than anything...I haven't even tried to meet people from other schools, and I know people from at least 7 different WCHA schools.

It sure sounds like most of Mankato's problems are because they choke in the big games and they have mostly terrible fans that aren't very knowledgeable about college hockey. Don't see any way moving to a different conference fixes either of those things.
                            Last edited by bigblue_dl; 03-29-2018, 08:41 AM.
                            Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                              There is a better chance that moving to the NCHC turns Mankato into a doormat, ala Miami, than there is that the move turns them into a title contender. In fact, I'd say it is a much, much better chance.
                              Bingo.
                              2005-2006: 7-25-6
                              2006-2007: 18-17-5
                              2007-2008: 14-20-5
                              2008-2009: 6-25-7
                              2009-2010: 5-30-1

Comment

• Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                                Maybe that's on you more than anything...I haven't even tried to meet people from other schools, and I know people from at least 7 different WCHA schools.

It sure sounds like most of Mankato's problems are because they choke in the big games and they have mostly terrible fans that aren't very knowledgeable about college hockey. Don't see any way moving to a different conference fixes either of those things.
                                Purple Cows.
                                Just to be clear. My disinterest in this team became of the Uni's disinterest. Without the success of the hockey team, the other teams would not be where they are. Way to pay back the hockey team. **** UAA.

Comment

Working...
                                X